• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Can someone explain to me WTF "Kappa" means?
It's the stream chat icon command that when you type in you get the face of a guy who is smirking like a troll. This has now become the face of the FGC troll. Anytime someone ends a post in "kappa" its a troll.

Just go in a twitch chat and type in "Kappa".

koryuken

Thanks guys for the explanation.

Back on topic, man I hope F Champ gets his shit pushed in at Evo. After watching his behavior on the Curleh Mustache, what a fucking douche bag. Even CJ Showstoppa was embarrassed...

Beckx

It's the stream chat icon command that when you type in you get the face of a guy who is smirking like a troll. This has now become the face of the FGC troll. Anytime someone ends a post in "kappa" its a troll.

Just go in a twitch chat and type in "Kappa".

But who is that guy?

FlyFaster

I think Daigo can win it as long as he doesn't have to play Infiltration twice.

He can't*

*so long as he plays Ryu. Ryu can't compete at the highest levels. He has nothing. No mixups, no vortex, no real 50/50s, ect. Characters like that can do well due to player skill but I just don't see a character like that ever winning another major in SF4.

Akuma, Cammy, Fei, Sakura, Viper are the safest bets imo. Maybe Ibuki and Seth.

Play to win. STSFN. Only someone who isn't participating in the 3v3s has a chance now.

image.php

But way to be a party pooper Infiltration. Even Daigo is playing.

And lol, Floe's the ultimate sleeper? But I think he has a better chance in getting super lucky in Marvel haha

we all know Floe would win EVO if it wasn't on stream

Only thing Floe wins, is our hearts...

Lol im really surprised they didnt plan another Floe Boshy event due to the fact last year's was such a big hit.

Tekniqs

He totally deserved it last year too. Complete dominance across the board. No one even gave him trouble.

Clever, but how dare you speaketh against The Beast. I always pull for Daigo, no matter what. It's not over for him. I berieve. I berieve so hard.

I believe Chris (ken player) ran him to last game, last round.

Thanks guys for the explanation.

Back on topic, man I hope F Champ gets his shit pushed in at Evo. After watching his behavior on the Curleh Mustache, what a fucking douche bag. Even CJ Showstoppa was embarrassed...

That was simply Champ taking his heel status back...I missed heel champ....CHAMP FOR EVO 2013

ScOULaris

He can't*

*so long as he plays Ryu. Ryu can't compete at the highest levels. He has nothing. No mixups, no vortex, no real 50/50s, ect. Characters like that can do well due to player skill but I just don't see a character like that ever winning another major in SF4.

Yeah, that is the only thing holding him back at this point.

I always wondered why he never tried Akuma in SF4. He used to play him sometimes in 3S and Alpha 3, and I think Akuma fits his aggressive style perfectly. Maybe because Akuma dies too quickly, thus making it harder to stage epic comebacks?

imBask

Banned
Yeah, that is the only thing holding him back at this point.

I always wondered why he never tried Akuma in SF4. He used to play him sometimes in 3S and Alpha 3, and I think Akuma fits his aggressive style perfectly. Maybe because Akuma dies too quickly, thus making it harder to stage epic comebacks?

he did play Akuma in SF4 for a little while, a year ago or 2 I can't remember... but he was ranking up some crazy points with Akuma in japan and was considering playing him at EVO

and if I remember correctly, he played a runaway heavy Akuma, not a vortex one

Dahbomb

Heel status FChamp is best Champ.

I just hope FChamp stops using Phoenix. He got put into losers because of the bird. Play time is over, its business time.

OceanBlue

He can't*

Wait, you aren't saying that Fei wins games because of an amazing vortex game, are you?

Nyoro SF

he did play Akuma in SF4 for a little while, a year ago or 2 I can't remember... but he was ranking up some crazy points with Akuma in japan and was considering playing him at EVO

Good memory you have there. According to arcade statistics at the time, Daigo had accumulated 12x as many time over victories compared to the next ranking Akuma.

ScOULaris

I would love to see him mix it up this year. The fact that he plays at such a high level with a mid-tier character proves that he could be dominant with another character.

Oddly enough, I didn't enjoy watching him play as Yun back when he switched for a while. I don't know why. It just wasn't the same.

He can't*

Ryu can win a major, winning EVO is a different story. But you're right about Ryu. I use to main him because he was always my favorite character. But the more I play SF4 the more I realized that all these things that other characters could do, Ryu couldn't. He's all fundamentals, and unless you have very strong fundamentals you're not going to win with him.

I'm sure if he had came to some of the US majors this year, he would have won them unless Infiltration stopped him. But winning against a army of mix up characters like at EVO is much more difficult and seems practically impossible nowadays in the world of SF4.

imBask

Banned
I would love to see him mix it up this year. The fact that he plays at such a high level with a mid-tier character proves that he could be dominant with another character.

Oddly enough, I didn't enjoy watching him play as Yun back when he switched for a while. I don't know why. It just wasn't the same.

his Yun was trash, he was relying 100% on Genei Jin and the cheapness of vanilla AE

a good Yun is so much fun to watch

Dahbomb

If Dickwin can take out F Champ, there is no way he is winning Evo. My bet is the grand finals will be Chris G vs J Wong.
Zero players can take out anyone, including ChrisG. FChamp lost because he was stubborn as always, using Phoenix and getting 3-0'd by Knives or using Plasma Beam when he should be using Missiles.

koryuken

A lot of players can possibly take out champ, but champ is a lot more clutch. J. Wong isn't making top 3.

J Wongg took 3rd place at CEO. He is playing really really well recently. I wouldn't be surprised if F Champ doesn't make top 4.

Zero players can take out anyone, including ChrisG. FChamp lost because he was stubborn as always, using Phoenix and getting 3-0'd by Knives or using Plasma Beam when he should be using Missiles.

And there are going to be a TON of zero players. Zero is the new Wesker...

I sort of felt the same way. I liked seeing him say "fuck it, I'm picking the best character in the game". But at the same time, Daigo like Valle has always been a quintessential Shoto players. Basically I always want to see those guys playing a shoto in every new version of SF because they've been doing it all their lives and it just feels right.

During that NYC Spring Fighter interview he did say that he's not all about winning anymore. And as hard as he's training right now, that's still very true. If you're not going to train multiple characters and counter pick, then you're truly not doing everything you can to win it all.

koryuken

I said the same thing EVO 2011...J. Wong is not as good as he used to be.

Zero the new wesker? Since when?

I dunno man, I feel like he is really focusing on Mahvel and doesn't care about SF. We'll see. This will be the first Evo where i'm rooting for J Wongg.

PS. Zero = new Wesker was sarcasm. But there are a ton of Zero players.

FlyFaster has a point. Diago is god-tier, but in a game that highly rewards brainless vortex playing. A mid tier character like Ryu has quite a hill to climb, even under Daigo's hands. Doesn't help that his play style is probably been dissected and studied the most out of any SF player right now.

Dahbomb

Justin and FChamp are good enough to make top 8 EVO but winning EVO is tough for both of them. It's tough for everyone really. Justin Wong has a great chance at the title if ChrisG is eliminated before he plays him.

The Zero army will be in full force for the first time at EVO. I am smelling a few upsets early on when some top player gets hit by the trilogy.

Zero is not the new Wesker. Wesker was never that good. Zero has been the best character since day 1 of UMVC3, it's only now that people have put in the work and tournament placings with him. No player seriously thought Wesker was the best character in the game.

He played akuma at the kuwait tournament last year I believe (before evo2012)

koryuken

Justin and FChamp are good enough to make top 8 EVO but winning EVO is tough for both of them. It's tough for everyone really. Justin Wong has a great chance at the title if ChrisG is eliminated before he plays him.

The Zero army will be in full force for the first time at EVO. I am smelling a few upsets early on when some top player gets hit by the trilogy.

Agreed. As good as Chris G is, I don't want him to win. I don't want to watch another grand finals with soulfist spam... Its killing the Mahvel hype!

(I hope the upset is some player taking out Chris G with zero... or Senor Ass Taxi gets lucky again and eliminates Chris G.)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Heel status FChamp is best Champ.

I just hope FChamp stops using Phoenix. He got put into losers because of the bird. Play time is over, its business time.

Certain players keel over the instant you pick Phoenix. She's a win button in certain player matchups. I'm sure FChamp will exploit that come EVO.

yet he won multiple majors after evo 2011 and made top 8 again in evo 2012.

and this year, he made top 8 at every major he attended

if anything, its ricky ortiz that has fallen of a cliff

yes but what has he done post EVO 2012 is what I'm concerned about. I just don't think Wong is good enough to win EVO let alone top 3. I have been wrong before though..damn you Perfect Legend.....

koryuken

Certain players keel over the instant you pick Phoenix. She's a win button in certain player matchups. I'm sure FChamp will exploit that come EVO.

I'm still waiting for someone to try the Wesker, Haggar, Vergil team. This is like Viscant's phoenix team that won vanilla EVO, only with much less risk + ability to use bars. I'm hoping someone good brings this team and cleans house.

Dahbomb

Agreed. As good as Chris G is, I don't want him to win. I don't want to watch another grand finals with soulfist spam... Its killing the Mahvel hype!

(I hope the upset is some player taking out Chris G with zero... or Senor Ass Taxi gets lucky again and eliminates Chris G.)
It's either Morrigan Soul Spam or watching "Ride the Lightning".

I'm still waiting for someone to try the Wesker, Haggar, Vergil team. This is like Viscant's phoenix team that won vanilla EVO, only with much less risk + ability to use bars. I'm hoping someone good brings this team and cleans house.
This team is not that good.

At EVO, 5 players have a legitimate shot at top 8. ChrisG, Justin, PRRog,, FChamp and Flocker. Anyone else is a wild card, including Yipes.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Off friday saturday and sunday. Have 3 monitors. Civ V expansion just got released. I am going to be very in there this weekend.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm looking forward to a Morrigan grand finals at EVO. Love watching that ChrisG play.

Zero is not the new Wesker. Wesker was never that good. Zero has been the best character since day 1 of UMVC3, it's only now that people have put in the work and tournament placings with him. No player seriously thought Wesker was the best character in the game.

I made a bet with someone that Wesker would get figured out, and we were going to see more Spencers in Top 8s than Weskers as the game moved on. They didn't believe me.

Maybe Viscant. Actually, after seeing his Vergil at Curleh... nevermind.

Kikujiro

During that NYC Spring Fighter interview he did say that he's not all about winning anymore. And as hard as he's training right now, that's still very true. If you're not going to train multiple characters and counter pick, then you're truly not doing everything you can to win it all.

Daigo said he's more a hype man now since winning is not important for him, I guess he makes good money just for being Daigo. This is why he sticks with Ryu, it would be pretty hype if he manages to win.

Mr. X

Justin isn't making Top 4 in Marvel
2012 is too old now, Daigo can't "solid play" his way through an aged game without the power of cheap stuff. Maybe v2014 we'll see him back on top until that has aged.

Yipes is a hilarious prediction.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Spencer kinda dropped off big time too though.

Yeah, everything sort of "normalized", but there was definitely a period where he was hot shit. Wesker dropped off and Spencer took over. This was just before the TAC infinites and Doom/Vergil army.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom