• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

xCobalt

He called Ifrit a loser to his face. He said that he was offended that he had to play Ifrit first to ten. Then he started insulting Yipes, calling him garbage... he also insulted his physical appearance, etc. Just acting like a fucking hot shit douchebag.

Then Marn almost eliminated Fchamp. (cue the gif of FChamp was sweating bullets.) Then, Dickwin took him out of the tournament, and FChamp did not even make top 4. CJ Showstoppa was apologizing to Yipes for his friend's behavior.

It's surprising how many people thought the banter between Yipes and Fchamp was real.

koryuken

Isn't that the best, though? When a motherfucker talks ton of shit only to get stopped in his tracks.

That's why I appreciate people like Champ and their shit-talk. If they win, they back their shit talk up. If they get destroyed, then just get made fools out of their own shit. Either way, entertainment value for the viewer/spectator.

I dunno man, there's talking shit about player's skill and then there's making fun of people's appearance. Yipes took the high road, but I would have laid that midget out.

It's surprising how many people thought the banter between Yipes and Fchamp was real.

You are right, that was all pretend. Even CJ apologizing to Yipes...

Chavelo

I dunno man, there's talking shit about player's skill and then there's making fun of people's appearance. Yipes took the high road, but I would have laid that midget out.

Wait, you actually thought the shit talk between Yipes and Champ was genuine? o_O

You are right, that was all pretend. Even CJ apologizing to Yipes...

lmaaaaaaaaao at you thinking that shit was serious

Chavelo

You guys need to be in more serious shit-talk or actual confrontations in order to tell which ones are real and which ones are just silly banters with a side of truth on the side.

Clawww

it seemed very passive aggressive and awkward

whether it was fake or real, it wasn't entertaining or funny so meh

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Somebody's got to believe it.

iod5spkzcdi0z8msfi.gif

Chavelo

Oh hey, another Melee EVO Hype video (this shows a lot of crowd reactions to the game over the years and it also gives info about vgbootcamp's stream schedule for this week for Melee).

OMG... I'm more worried about catching awesome matches than actually playing my own matches. Shit's gonna be so hype.

KOF XIII IS GONNA BE HYPE. UMVC3 IS GONNA BE HYPE. P4A IS GONNA BE HYPE. AE IS GONNA BE HYPE. INJUSTICE IS GONNA BE HYPE. SFxT (without Justin/Ricky) IS GONNA BE HYPE.

BUT MELEE HYPE, SON.
Tingles! I'M GETTING THE FUCKING TINGLES JUST THINKING ABOUT IT!

Chavelo

Only game that's missing a stream for pools is Tekken.

EDIT: And as soon as I said, I was proven wrong. Good shit, TTT2 community. :)

You do not really rely on Genei Jin in SF4, it's just a combo tool for damage and corner carry if needed.
And aside from Kazunoko who himself admits he essentially copied Daigo and went from there for Yun, who had a better one?
Momochi?Kindevu?Xian?
Please.

Yep, that was a ridiculous comment. The guy had the 2nd best Yun in the world, and his yun was trash?

He actually does have another job. He's been working as a nurse in Japan.

Not anymore. I think he quit that job 2 or 3 years ago.

Daigo doesn't come to many US tournaments anymore but he still competes in Japanese tournaments. He was busy with the Taito station tours around Japan, mad catz appearances and had talk shows to attend. He's a busy guy so he can't go overseas as much anymore.

Anyways, I feel that people exaggerate Daigo's woes. The only person better than him is Infiltration right now. Sako and Fuudo are on his level and he has performed the best out of all of them in the last 3 major tournaments. He made top 8 evo last year which no other Japanese player did. He won the Japanese SF25th tournament, and got 2nd at SF 25th. He topped it off with a 2nd place Topanga League finish with Sako coming out on top.

Dahbomb

How is that not a good team? Its way better than KBR's Hulk/Haggar? And it has Dark Vergil in the back... If i had time, I would really love to put this team through its' paces online :(
Because Wesker still needs a get in assist and he needs vertical coverage. A Wesker team without a Beam or Vajra is already struggling. Vergil in anchor position means Wesker cannot take advantage of the DHC into Spiral Swords which means he has to rely on resets to the get the job down. Since Haggar Lariat isn't completely invincible now, characters who are short like Wolverine and Zero can easily clip both Haggar and Wesker. Vergil with Lariat isn't very optimum either, he too needs the same type of assists as Wesker. This team is good when you are against a rushdown heavy team or against bad teams in general but any zoning heavy team would shut this team down hard especially the first two characters.

Wesker + Lariat + Phoenix was a near top tier team in Vanilla for a bunch of reasons. Wesker had full screen gun shot confirms so he didn't really need a beam. With the way meter gain worked, Wesker only needed one or two combos to guaranteed Dark Phoenix in Vanilla. Lariat itself was insanely good in Vanilla, fully invincible and caused hardknockdown. The extra health plus invincible hyper on Wesker made it so that it was sort of hard to rushdown Wesker with Lariat (even though someone like Viscant wouldn't use the counter hyper, it was an option he would use if Phoenix died early). The high health on the team was perfect for getting DP even when you didn't actually land a combo. And Phoenix herself was much more powerful in Vanilla... mostly because TACs didn't steal meter, Morrigan didn't have meter stealing fireballs, Vergil and Strider didn't exist among many other reasons. And finally Lariat shut down one of the most common teams involving Wolverine so in the meta game it was a very good team. Now not only do you see less Wolverines but you see way more Missiles/zoning teams and against that Lariat isn't effective.

Only game that's missing a stream for pools is Tekken.

Haven't really heard anyone on twitter or anything planning something for it. You would think, with their jobs and all, that they would be able to afford some streaming equipment. So much for "poverty" fighting games. :(

I doubt money is the issue. The time it takes to earn that money probably is.

I'm sure someone will record the Koreans blowing through the brackets and eventually put it on YouTube though.

Septimius

Daigo doesn't come to many US tournaments anymore but he still competes in Japanese tournaments. He was busy with the Taito station tours around Japan, mad catz appearances and had talk shows to attend. He's a busy guy so he can't go overseas as much anymore.

I was so shocked to see this! I was playing SSFIV at an arcade in Tokyo, and I saw he was touring there a month later. I would've been flipping my shit if it somehow coincided with my being in Tokyo.

So excited for Evo. Me and some friends play Melee a lot, so I'll try to gather them for the pools on Friday!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lots of feel-good info coming for EVO:

Penny Arcade's Report made an article about Melee being at EVO: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/evo-smash-bros

NYU partnering up with EVO to fund a scholarship in game design: http://gamecenter.nyu.edu/2013/07/nyu-game-center-at-evo-2013

XiePlus's P4A Interview series with exhibitions of Japanese players coming to play in US soil: http://shoryuken.com/2013/07/09/pre...is/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Damn that image is dope.

Ifrit

Cant wait for this, last year's tournament of legends was fucking awesome:

Video

Really looking forward to the ST torunament this year

smurfx

get some go again
i hope the bad news isn't that infiltration cancelled last minute. he isn't going to be in the 3vs3 right? hope there isn't more to this.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://shoryuken.com/2013/07/09/changes-to-evo-2013-smash-schedule/

Regrettably, we’ve just been informed by Nintendo of America Inc. that we do not have permission to broadcast Super Smash Bros. Melee for Evo 2013. In light of this, we must make the following changes to the schedule.
Smash has been removed from the stream schedule and replaced with a mix of Persona 4 Arena and King of Fighters XIII
Smash Finals have been moved from Sunday to Saturday, 2:00 PM
Persona 4 Arena Finals have been moved to Sunday, 10:00 AM
King of Fighters XIII Finals have beem moved to Sunday, 12:00 PM
Here are the updated on-site and stream schedules.

evo2013-final-stream-schedule.png

evo2013-schedule.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom