• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordJim

his Yun was trash, he was relying 100% on Genei Jin and the cheapness of vanilla AE

a good Yun is so much fun to watch

You do not really rely on Genei Jin in SF4, it's just a combo tool for damage and corner carry if needed.
And aside from Kazunoko who himself admits he essentially copied Daigo and went from there for Yun, who had a better one?
Momochi?Kindevu?Xian?
Please.

Chavelo

Exr

I do like the Japanese entering Marvel and Im interested in their tech, but I don't want them getting to top 8. USA is da bes and has to keep their undisputed crown.

Dahbomb

Nova dropped off hard. I was questioning whether Nova players even existed anymore until I saw NeoKarsh at CEO.
Nova still pops up at every tournament though including top 8. People like Moonz, Taekua, Infrit (lol) play him still. But yea he dropped off kinda hard too.

The funniest thing is that Sentinel is still a top 10 character in the game based on top 8 performance at majors.

Chavelo

I do like the Japanese entering Marvel and Im interested in their tech, but I don't want them getting to top 8. USA is da bes and has to keep their undisputed crown.

So you want to same top 8 as the last few majors? Shit, you gonna make this shit exciting! I don't see them making top 3 or winning it, but seeing a Japanese player in top 8 would be hype on Sunday. :D

Dahbomb

BTW Guardian if you are still in the bet with the guy then you would actually lose the best lol.

10 Weskers in top 8 in UVMC3 post EVO 2012 compared to just 4 Spencers in top 8. Wesker is still a top 5 character in terms of top 8 usage!

Looking over the actual results and figures... it's really just two Wesker players consistently making top 8 at majors who are boosting the figures. It's like ChrisG boosting the numbers of Morrigan in top 8 when it's just him using it in top 8 almost all the time. Spencer players actually had more variety, they included Yipes, Infrit and Justin.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The funniest thing is that Sentinel is still a top 10 character in the game based on top 8 performance at majors.

Despite all of his deficiencies and bad matchups, Sentinel has more tools than a lot of other characters and his assist remains one of the best in the game. I never subscribed to the "whackbot" moniker.

BTW Guardian if you are still in the bet with the guy then you would actually lose the best lol.

10 unique Wesker's in top 8 in UVMC3 post EVO 2012 compared to just 4 Spencers in top 8. Wesker is still a top 5 character in terms of top 8 usage!

Damnit.. that's across all majors? And unique teams, not just number of times represented in a match?

ScOULaris

And he debuts with the unique EX Iori/Benimaru/Mr Karate team

I miss the days when Daigo was playing multiple games. He has only been playing AE for the last few years and not even showing up or winning many majors. I feel like he should be at the top of his gaming career these days, being sponsored and all.

FlyFaster

Wait, you aren't saying that Fei wins games because of an amazing vortex game, are you?

Fei is the lone exception to the rule. His excellent focus attack, solid damage, amazing normals and rekka pressure allow him an almost unrivaled footsie game.

Ryu can't play the same match that Fei can. Then again, almost no character can.

Yeah, that is the only thing holding him back at this point.

I always wondered why he never tried Akuma in SF4. He used to play him sometimes in 3S and Alpha 3, and I think Akuma fits his aggressive style perfectly. Maybe because Akuma dies too quickly, thus making it harder to stage epic comebacks?

I remember when this was going down, I read it off eventhubs he was playing Akuma and almost shat my pants. At the time, Tokido was the "best" Akuma player (at least I thought so) and I remember thinking that if Daigo really learned Akuma he could probably be one of the, if not the, best Akuma in the world.

I still think he should do it. Drop Ryu and play Akuma.

BadWolf

I miss the days when Daigo was playing multiple games. He has only been playing AE for the last few years and not even showing up or winning many majors. I feel like he should be at the top of his gaming career these days, being sponsored and all.

This.

Didn't he play Guilty Gear before? Wonder if he will try the new one when it comes out.

ScOULaris

This.

Didn't he play Guilty Gear before? Wonder if he will try the new one when it comes out.

Yeah, he had a nasty Sol from what I remember.

Does anyone know why we never see Daigo at any international tournaments except for EVO anymore? All of the other sponsored players jet-set around the world to compete, many of them in multiple games. What's Daigo's deal? I don't think he has another job alongside competitive gaming right now.

Chavelo

Yeah, he had a nasty Sol from what I remember.

Does anyone know why we never see Daigo at any international tournaments except for EVO anymore? All of the other sponsored players jet-set around the world to compete, many of them in multiple games. What's Daigo's deal? I don't think he has another job alongside competitive gaming right now.

He actually does have another job. He's been working as a nurse in Japan.

Dahbomb

Also for the first time Zero is a top 10 character in terms of tournament results. It only took 3 god damn years. Viper just one appearance short of top 10 status which is also a big boost for her.

Unsurprisingly Doom with Vergil second makes the bulk of top 8s, 20+ each.
Damnit.. that's across all majors? And unique teams, not just number of times represented in a match?
Read my post again. It's not unique teams. In terms of unique teams, it's about equal for both (3 uniques).

Basically the Wesker players who made top 8 are Green Ace, Unknown and Neo (side team though). Spencer players who made top 8 include Infrit, Justin (side team) and Yipes. Those Wesker players just made top 8 more times than Spencer players.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thanks guys for the explanation.

Back on topic, man I hope F Champ gets his shit pushed in at Evo. After watching his behavior on the Curleh Mustache, what a fucking douche bag. Even CJ Showstoppa was embarrassed...

What did he do at Curleh Mustache? I didn't watch it.

Dahbomb

Wolverine is in the exact same boat as Spencer and Wesker. It's just 3 players who have gotten top 8 with Wolverine... Justin, PRRog and Angelic.

Vergil, Doom and Magneto are the only characters with 5 or more different people placed top 8 with. Zero actually got 4 different people to represent him in top 8 so if we want to talk about unique teams, he is in the top 5.

So, for me, I'm really pulling for Moons and Angelic (and of course, any GAF players). I'd love to see Chris G finally get that EVO win, but i can understand why people are against him winning. Love to see a few Japan players come in with their weird teams and throw things into chaos a bit too.

Really, if i can have a Wong/F. Champ/Marn (Ha) free Top 8, I'd be super. Only 3 people I'd genuinely root against at the moment.

I'm hoping for some guy from his mom's basement in Montana to show up and destroy everyone with some dumb unknown Ghost Rider or Thor glitch

kick51

Banned
I'm hoping for some guy from his mom's basement in Montana to show up and destroy everyone with some dumb unknown Ghost Rider or Thor glitch

Desk!

I forget what year it was, but people thought he would actually body people at Evo...all because he makes cool combo videos, which convinced some that he was a good tournament player.

Horseress

This reminds me of Kusoru at Final Round, I miss that dude

EDIT: DAMN this week is passing by soooooooooo slowly.....GIMME FRIDAY ALREADY DAMMIT

koryuken

What did he do at Curleh Mustache? I didn't watch it.

He called Ifrit a loser to his face. He said that he was offended that he had to play Ifrit first to ten. Then he started insulting Yipes, calling him garbage... he also insulted his physical appearance, etc. Just acting like a fucking hot shit douchebag.

Then Marn almost eliminated Fchamp. (cue the gif of FChamp was sweating bullets.) Then, Dickwin took him out of the tournament, and FChamp did not even make top 4. CJ Showstoppa was apologizing to Yipes for his friend's behavior.

This team is not that good.

How is that not a good team? Its way better than KBR's Hulk/Haggar? And it has Dark Vergil in the back... If i had time, I would really love to put this team through its' paces online :(

ScOULaris

I am looking forward to having as many stream popouts on my TV as I can before killing my Internet.

Hah, sounds like you utilize the same setup as I do. I fill my 52-inch TV with as many streams as I can as possible, while still leaving a column of space on the right for the stream chat.

That's livin' right.

Chavelo

He called Ifrit a loser to his face. He said that he was offended that he had to play Ifrit first to ten. Then he started insulting Yipes, calling him garbage... he also insulted his physical appearance, etc. Just acting like a fucking hot shit douchebag.

Then Marn almost eliminated Fchamp. (cue the gif of FChamp was sweating bullets.) Then, Dickwin took him out of the tournament, and FChamp did not even make top 4. CJ Showstoppa was apologizing to Yipes for his friend's behavior.

Isn't that the best, though? When a motherfucker talks ton of shit only to get stopped in his tracks.

That's why I appreciate people like Champ and their shit-talk. If they win, they back their shit talk up. If they get destroyed, then just get made fools out of their own shit. Either way, genuine entertainment value for the viewer/spectator instead of fabricated bullshit like pre-match interviews. Jebailey had a great idea with FighterMania but only if the players were into the joke of talking shit. Valle and CJ Truth cut some awesome promos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom