• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Not sure 30+ days qualifies as a knee jerk lol.

It absolutely does? The meta in competitive games definitely takes more than a month to figure out, like that's not some kind of weird mystery. There's so many examples of tiers changing radically over a couple years, like that absolutely shouldn't be a question even being asked.

I guarantee in Melee sheik would be nerfed to shit if patches were demanded in a month. People complained about characters being op in the first month of Marvel 3 (OMG SENTINEL 2 MUCH HEALF) and now he barely even gets touched.

Not saying you can never balance something after a month if it's just blatantly overpowered in some obviously broken way, but I seriously doubt they're basing that data off an actual competitive scene. The game has been out for a month so most data they probably are going off of is pub player data which is borderline useless imo. Hell when I played in the alpha as Goliath I found pretty much every human team I went against to be completely terrible on just a basic level and it wasn't uncommon for them to be complaining about the monster being op when the match was over. Somehow I wouldn't be shocked if that's still pretty much the player base that's there.

Wow I almost forgot about this thread... and the game. That balance patch needs to come out ASAP.

It absolutely does? etc
Good job ignoring the rest of my post. I'll reiterate the main point: Turtle Rock doesn't have the experience in competitive game balance like the Street Fighter (or in your example, MvC) team does. It's a clear sign that they fucked up when the playerbase is taking a nosedive and the majority of complaints lie with a single character in the game.
Not saying you can never balance something after a month if it's just blatantly overpowered in some obviously broken way, but I seriously doubt they're basing that data off an actual competitive scene.
Regardless of whether they're basing their current data on the 'actual competitive scene' or not, the Wraith's current form is driving new and existing players away. Without new players, what competitive scene will there be?

phoenixyz

Has anyone heard any rumors on what is happening at Turtle Rock? Were they downsized after release? Do they have to slave away on DLC? What's going on?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Looks like the St. Patrick's day thing is this weekend. Community wide event to win 35,000 games with Griffin and everyone will get a set for the trappers.

and still nothing on the balance patch. trs pls.

35000 Griffin wins in 2 days? I'm hoping that adds all platforms together because if it doesn't... no one is getting that skin lol
edit: derp I thought it said it ended on the 20th.. 4 days is more doable.

Jito

Banned
Where's this balance patch at?! Getting tired of all this running about after the Wraith.

Getting good at quitting out of Wraith matches and waiting for the fucking timer in the lobby, why does it punish me because I don't want to play against OP shit? Waiting in the lobby is where the real game is at.

Mdk7

133819089c0ae34c8c85325f56cca2d8-d8m298j.jpg

Meanwhile, i've completed my pixel art homage to the game... it's for the official Contest on WeLovefine, but hopefully you guys might dig it (as you appreciated the first two characters). :)

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

133819089c0ae34c8c85325f56cca2d8-d8m298j.jpg

Meanwhile, i've completed my pixel art homage to the game... it's for the official Contest on WeLovefine, but hopefully you guys might dig it (as you appreciated the first two characters). :)

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Really cool!

I quite like this trapper challenge thing, I've been wary to play Griffin because I suck with the sound spikes even though I really like his harpoons. Now I have an excuse!

Well snap. I was planning on finally getting some Heists done with my free time this weekend...but I think I'm going to make a solid effort towards this.

I rarely play trapper, but I'm starting to really enjoy everyone very much.

Wow, the Hunters are dropping way sooner than I ever thought. Behemoth sure, they've been hyping it up for a Spring release for quite some time. But the Hunters are a genuine surprise.
Looking forward to booting up the game again. They really need to release the balance patch beforehand, though.

Jito

Banned
I know I was getting super pissed about the balance patch vanishing but I'm pretty hyped for new hunters and monsters now. Gimme that new Trapper! :D

Oh man, just saw those hunters...I really need to unlock everyone else! They all look sick...might find a replacement for my main metal man Bucket...

Been delaying buying the Season pass, definitely time to jump on that to save what I can on those hunters...Behemoth will be a happy extra, I guess....I need to start playing more as the monster..

Jito

Banned
But really, why did they put the Wraith in the game? It's so boring and shit to hunt, you just end up running about in circles catching it then losing it in the fucking dome, sound spikes are useless against it as it's in stealth the whole time?! Really need that patch that makes Monsters appear even when stealthing in sound spikes.

Edit: Oh shit, we're in community already :(

Papercuts

oh god community'd

I was definitely not expecting the hunters to drop that soon, I like the look of the medic.

Bru

Took me 30 minutes to finally connect to a match last night and instead of fixing that or the wraith bullshit, they are revealing DLC.

lol

30 minutes? Bloody hell that's bad! Was that on your own or in a party? Console or PC?

I still get into Xbox matches really quickly here in the UK.

Can people post what console they are playing on if you are saying matchmaking is a joke or that it's taking forever? Each time I boot up my copy on PS4, no matter what time of day, I'm in a match within minutes of starting the game.

I don't get it -_-

Bru

Can people post what console they are playing on if you are saying matchmaking is a joke or that it's taking forever? Each time I boot up my copy on PS4, no matter what time of day, I'm in a match within minutes of starting the game.

I don't get it -_-

I really don't get it either.

It would seem that your PS4 experience is similar to mine on Xbox. Matchmaking is quick and simple, thirty seconds to a minute being the norm (a little longer if I'm playing in a party) certainly not thirty minutes.

I wonder if this is an issue specific to the PC version? More information would certainly help.

FYI: All versions of Evolve are 25% off

Not sure for how long. All skins and everything else is 25% off, too. Well, everything except the season pass.

LOL
I really don't get it either.

It would seem that your PS4 experience is similar to mine on Xbox. Matchmaking is quick and simple, thirty seconds to a minute being the norm (a little longer if I'm playing in a party) certainly not thirty minutes.

I wonder if this is an issue specific to the PC version? More information would certainly help.
If you're searching for a party with 1 or 4 people, you won't have any trouble. If you're searching with 2-3 people, good luck finding a lobby you can all connect to. [PC]

phoenixyz

If you're searching for a party with 1 or 4 people, you won't have any trouble. If you're searching with 2-3 people, good luck finding a lobby you can all connect to. [PC]

Yep, and even with 4 people we often get no monster or the bug where one of our group is the monster.
We were even matched into a full game once (the spectator mode kinda crashed then as you couldn't leave it without alt-f4ing out or waiting for the end of the round).

My favorite is when you get loaded into a game, even when there's no spot open for you. You're just spectating. Then when you leave the game, you have to wait before queuing again because you left a game in progress! Brilliant.

Spectating has been available for a while, you just have to glitch into it, lol.

Papercuts

So that's Sunny.

All 4 of them look really interesting. It makes me even more angry at the ridiculous price of the dlc.

Same. I do really want them but I hate that pricing.

Some details:

Torvald the Assault - Mortor rounds, shrapnel grenade (that put weakpoints all over the monster apparently), autofire shotgun.

Crow the Trapper - His pet bat Gobi can be commanded to fly forward to let Crow see wildlife, Stasis Gun with two fire modes to slow the monster down, kinetic long rifle can be charged to ignore armor (gat damn).

Slim the Medic - Leech gun saps strength from the monster(dunno if that means damage or some other effect) and fuels how fast his Heal Burst recharges. Larger heal burst area than other medics. Healing drone goes around healing people until they're attacked, and he has a spore cloud launcher that masks the scent of hunters.

Sunny the Support - Shield drones that protect teammates, jetpack booster which seems to lessen fuel eaten and boosting speed/distance covered, and a...mininuke grenade launcher.

Compare it to LoL character pricing and it's not so bad, guys! /TurtleRock

Edit: My Evolve client is updating... can it be?!

Edit2: Nope
Fixes rare issue where Wraith freezes when using decoy or staging up
-_-

Looking into their dev posts, it looks like the patch is slated to drop with the hunters and Behemoth on the 31st, and includes the ability to micropatch (so no more waiting weeks for patches, apparently).
Sigh. I guess I'll get one game in this weekend for the trapper skin and then wait for the 31st to play again in earnest.

Papercuts

Compare it to LoL character pricing and it's not so bad, guys! /TurtleRock

Edit: My Evolve client is updating... can it be?!

Edit2: Nope
Fixes rare issue where Wraith freezes when using decoy or staging up
-_-

Looking into their dev posts, it looks like the patch is slated to drop with the hunters and Behemoth on the 31st, and includes the ability to micropatch (so no more waiting weeks for patches, apparently).
Sigh. I guess I'll get one game in this weekend for the trapper skin and then wait for the 31st to play again in earnest.

Balance changes on top of all the other hunters and new monster sounds like an overly hectic time. No real adjustment period.

Good there's gonna be micropatching but I recall reading them on their forums talking about that type of functionality pre-release. It took them way too long to get on the ball with that.

30 minutes? Bloody hell that's bad! Was that on your own or in a party? Console or PC?

I still get into Xbox matches really quickly here in the UK.

I pretty much always play alone and have started to pretty much always put monster #1 because the games lack of content, balance, and connection issues have driven every friend I have who bought the game, away from the game. I play on Xbox One.

If you go to their forums there are a lot of threads on connection issues. There is literally like one response from a TRS person, a community manager saying "we're looking into it", and that's it. But these are the same issues many people myself included noticed and made TRS aware of in both the alpha and beta. For it to launch with these same issues is a bunch of horse shit imho. You have members on the forum actually doing the developers job, pooling together ISP/router/location info for lots of posters and trying to make a table so they can figure out how to fix the problem. No input from TRS at all. I fiddled with my network a bit today, got my NAT completely open, we'll see if it helps, but this is the only game I ever had any connection issues with. 500+ hours of Titanfall, no problem. 3-4 hours of Advanced Warfare, no problem. Too many hours of Destiny, no problem.

I feel bad for TRS, it seems like 2k is to blame. I have over 100 hours in the game and love it. I defended the DLC stuff and content complaints before release, but it seems like they truly are putting a bigger emphasis on DLC than actually fixing the game. Like they know they have a limited of time left to milk the hardcore userbase and they're damn sure gonna do it while they can.

Don't these DLC characters seem especially.... powerful, too? Like, they are all sort of like Cabot where they are more multi-dimensional than strictly one particular class.

Hope a sale comes quick. They look awesome, but I refuse to support day one at full price.

-Deimos

Don't these DLC characters seem especially.... powerful, too? Like, they are all sort of like Cabot where they are more multi-dimensional than strictly one particular class.

Hope a sale comes quick. They look awesome, but I refuse to support day one at full price.

I was thinking the same thing, Crow + Sunny + Assault is game over for monster. Crow and Sunny's other abilities are pretty good too so I don't see where the balance comes from. I'm guessing all this firepower is to deal with Behemoth but the other monsters don't seem like they stand a chance.

edit, from the official forums about Crow's damage with the rifle:
Not a lot. It's pretty weak as far as damage goes but it makes up for it in specific situations. I'd give you a specific number but I'm on a plane. Crow doesn't deal the damage that the other Trappers do. He's just more specific about where that damage is going which makes him valuable and fun to play.
I guess he won't be as powerful as I thought then, which is good.

Bru

I pretty much always play alone and have started to pretty much always put monster #1 because the games lack of content, balance, and connection issues have driven every friend I have who bought the game, away from the game. I play on Xbox One.

If you go to their forums there are a lot of threads on connection issues. There is literally like one response from a TRS person, a community manager saying "we're looking into it", and that's it. But these are the same issues many people myself included noticed and made TRS aware of in both the alpha and beta. For it to launch with these same issues is a bunch of horse shit imho. You have members on the forum actually doing the developers job, pooling together ISP/router/location info for lots of posters and trying to make a table so they can figure out how to fix the problem. No input from TRS at all. I fiddled with my network a bit today, got my NAT completely open, we'll see if it helps, but this is the only game I ever had any connection issues with. 500+ hours of Titanfall, no problem. 3-4 hours of Advanced Warfare, no problem. Too many hours of Destiny, no problem.

I feel bad for TRS, it seems like 2k is to blame. I have over 100 hours in the game and love it. I defended the DLC stuff and content complaints before release, but it seems like they truly are putting a bigger emphasis on DLC than actually fixing the game. Like they know they have a limited of time left to milk the hardcore userbase and they're damn sure gonna do it while they can.

That sounds terrible, I really hope the glitch can be isolated and fixed ASAP. It's disappointing to hear that those affected have been left to solve the issue themselves with so little obvious input from 2K or Turtle Rock.

I remember having similar problems (along with other Virgin Media customers in the UK) with Quake Arena on my Xbox 360. I couldn't connect to any online games and never managed to find a workaround, in the end I played offline against bots before giving up completely.

When a game lives or dies by its online aspect you'd think that fixing any issues with the matchmaking component would be a top priority, especially if those very same problems have been apparent through the alpha and beta testing stages.

Hm, the new hunters sound interesting but I'm disappointed it took this long to release the balance patch.

I guess they were more concerned with getting the new hunters/monster released first. We are getting them far sooner than I had expected and I don't know how to feel about their priorities.

Top Bottom