• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Man I got rocked by this team of hunters today. They weren't even a premade team, just four level 40 players who were really good. I got monster three straight times for some reason and got some shitty small maps that favored them, but I doubt it would have made a difference. Actually on the biggest map I got to stage 3 and had 2 of them dead but was too weak to finish the other two. I guess this was karma from that game I posted about last thread, because I saw some Markov mines on the ground to did fire breath which should have wiped all 3 out and I kind of just assumed the game would function as it should so I then followed the fire up with leap smash.... right into 3 mines that somehow still stood there. Took me down from almost 4 full bars of health down to 1, and that was all she wrote.

Other two games they had Bucket and small maps and I never even made it out of stage 1. Both of those games were like 20 minutes, countdown timer going type snoozefests. Every time I would disengage and try to armor up or evolve, Bucket would have me on the UAV. In this situation, do you guys find it better to just evolve and try to survive the inevitable dome? I guess that would have been the wiser move and saved a lot of time, too.

Goliath, of course. Maybe another monster would have fared better but they are both just unappealing to me.

And I wish pounce was more consistent. In that last game I caught Markov way off on his own, could have easily downed him even if he popped his shield, but the pounce did not catch him as he ran by me.

-Deimos

Played a game with either the best Abe I have ever seen, or someone with a jetpack hack. Dude was on me the entire game, literally. It was impossible to get away from this guy and even when he caught me in a dome by himself, I couldn't catch him before his teammates arrived. It was one of those snoozefest games, too. I just gave up at the end instead of evading them and letting the timer run out.

Jito

Banned
Matchmaking seems to be absolutely fucked today on PS4, had multiple games in a row getting booted out of games in progress with the message "You do not have a network connection..blah blah".

Nothing wrong with the internet on my end so something must be up at TR.

Played a game with either the best Abe I have ever seen, or someone with a jetpack hack. Dude was on me the entire game, literally. It was impossible to get away from this guy and even when he caught me in a dome by himself, I couldn't catch him before his teammates arrived. It was one of those snoozefest games, too. I just gave up at the end instead of evading them and letting the timer run out.

Sounds like he either had movement speed boost or jetpack recharge. I've had games as Maggie were I've followed a few metres behind the Monster because of movement speed boost.

-Deimos

Matchmaking seems to be absolutely fucked today on PS4, had multiple games in a row getting booted out of games in progress with the message "You do not have a network connection..blah blah".

Nothing wrong with the internet on my end so something must be up at TR.

Sounds like he either had movement speed boost or jetpack recharge. I've had games as Maggie were I've followed a few metres behind the Monster because of movement speed boost.

I don't think it had much to do with his perks. He was either just insanely good and if so, congrats on being the best trapper I've ever played or he had some extra "help". I've never seen a trapper this good at keeping up with a monster. Even when I triple dashed + decoyed across the map, he'd be on me within seconds.

Jito

Banned
Ah right, that sounds pretty suspect then. Perhaps he was abusing Idle to refill his boost, saw someone talking about that the other day on here or Reddit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh, is that just a patch to get everything like it is on the XB1?

They're seriously taking waaaay too long to get the balance patch out. :/

Klyka

Banned
Oh, is that just a patch to get everything like it is on the XB1?

They're seriously taking waaaay too long to get the balance patch out. :/

Apparently it's a big bugfix patch for every system. The Xbone patch was just because that was the system with the most progression resets.

sjay1994

Well, thats done

11026183_10203744694721179_3562203017831357596_n.jpg

minx

This game really is taking the Brink timeline. Huge player count drops really soon while the developers fumble around in patch cert instead of hotfixing quick and fast to stop the bleeding ASAP.

I don't think they can hotfix. New patch is supposed to allow it though. I'm debating trading it in until the game is cheap again and DLC is all on sale.

-Deimos

Urgh... that's just bloody fabulous. So many players are staying away because of the Wraith, the balance patch needs to arrive ASAP.

I've been losing constantly to level 40 teams as Wraith. It's not hard to take down if you don't fight it like it's Goliath. If it wasn't for the Cabot + Markov nerf, I'd be worried about the Wraith balancing.

Semper88

I feel bad about it but I haven't touched the game in a month..

I really really liked it but at a point i was facing wraith 85% of the time. Even tho i didnt care about win or loose it just became a giant troll game, all i missed was the benny hill song.

It was like chase the monster for 10 mins and then get wrecked or wreck it.

The whole "hunt" feels more like a chase chore then fun.

Bru

I've been losing constantly to level 40 teams as Wraith. It's not hard to take down if you don't fight it like it's Goliath. If it wasn't for the Cabot + Markov nerf, I'd be worried about the Wraith balancing.

I don't have a problem with the Wraith but many others do. Players are staying away until the patch hits and this delay does nothing but hurt the community, that's the last thing Evolve needs at the moment.

Personally, I can't wait to play around with the balance changes and modify my tactics accordingly. The Cabot + Markov combo nerf will be very interesting and that 11% damage boost for Bucket's rockets will come in very handy!

Klyka

Banned
Here are the patchnotes:

"We want to give you all a quick status update on this. We've got a big PC update that is in test right now, and it includes these changes:
Added FOV slider to the options menu
Improved 21:9 monitor support
Improved support for shared memory GPUs
Various Progression / Masterybalance changes
Improved Direct X stability
Fixed a windows timer issue that may have caused FPS problems on some systems
Fix for a shadow rendering bug
Fixed five Hunter bug
Fix for disappearing mouse cursor
We're targeting to get this PC patch into your hands later this week. We can't give an exact date, but will update this thread the moment it is live."

Also regarding future balancing, Chris Ashton had this to say:

There are a couple of differences in there, but nothing major. Once the balance patch goes out we can make future adjustments very easily.

So I guess they'll implement their system to circumvent the console certification for balance number changes with the big balance patch.

PC patch is live and is ~230MB.

— Added FOV slider to the options menu

— Improved 21:9 monitor support

— Improved support for shared memory GPUs

— Various Progression / Mastery balance changes

— Improved Direct X stability

— Fixed a windows timer issue may have caused FPS problems on some systems

— Fix for a shadow rendering bug

— Fixed “five Hunter” bug

— Fix for disappearing/persisting mouse cursor

Edit: Looks like we exactly what they said we'd get. Looking forward to much faster balancing changes, if needed.

Edit 2: Most mastery requirements seem to be lowered by quite a bit.

Skyzard

Banned
Bit strange as my minimum FOV in the slider for hunters is 70. I had upped it before the patch, maybe that's why.

Not really bothered but lost the goliath savage skin. Got the gold skins though (monsters), looks pretty good.
Cabot was newly elite, I think from the reduced character mastery requirements.

In the store page it says everything is purchased (I haven't bought anything yet) but nothing new shows up to select when you go to customise.

My overlay is still not working but that might have something to do with RTSS, EVGA PrecisionX, Fraps, Shadowplay etc lol
The thing that does bug is borderless window still not working for me. It works, right, but the image sometimes either cuts off at about the size of 1920x1080 (on a 4k screen) or looks really compressed (garbled text - compression like effects, makes spotting in a jungle hard). Meh.

Will check it out properly with some games tonight.

Looks like they broke their in-game DLC store lol, everything shows up as purchased.

But yeah bug fixes are nice and all, but this is going to do little to stem the dwindling playerbase. Balance patch needs to come out ASAP.

Klyka

Banned
So yeah,they are definitely adding a micropatching system

Basically what @kyronr600 said. Our micropatching system will go live with the next update. After that we can make balance changes a lot more frequently.

TitusTroy

reduced character mastery requirements is a welcome change...before some of the requirements were an insane grind...the FOV slider addition is also a nice addition

Klyka

Banned
How about that Behemoth though? Is he still a thing?
Remember that season pass guys?

At this rate maybe we'll hear something about the latter in June.

To be fair, the people working on Behemoth are not the same people working on bug fixes.
I feel we'll be hearing about him and the new hunters sooner than we think.
The devs have been dropping some hints.

Also, St. Patrick's Day is next week and they said there'd be some kind of Trapper challenge for that.

TitusTroy

How about that Behemoth though? Is he still a thing?
Remember that season pass guys?

At this rate maybe we'll hear something about the latter in June.

I was hoping Behemoth would be out within the first 6 weeks of release...the Monsters are starting to feel under-powered now compared to the good Hunter teams

YO HOMIES, NEW MAPS

broken_hill_mine_02_logo.jpg

• Hunter Win: Mining Drones get repurposed as Shield Drones for the Hunter team in the next match.
  • Monster Win: Destroying the mining drill makes the environment tectonically unstable. The resulting earthquakes will flush out birds from the surrounding areas, deceiving the Hunters as to where the Monster is really located.
broken_hill_foundry_02_logo.jpg

• Hunter Win: Energy-dense bohrium is used to supercharge the Hunter’s jetpacks.
  • Monster Win: Destroying the foundry engulfs the Monster in bohrium gas, making its melee attacks even more powerful.

The Broken Hill Mine and Broken Hill Foundry maps will be available for free, and are coming first to Xbox One on March 31st, followed by PC and PlayStation 4 on April 30th.

[edit]Beaten, but im leaving it up anyways :p

SMZC

I was hoping Behemoth would be out within the first 6 weeks of release...the Monsters are starting to feel under-powered now compared to the good Hunter teams

Not my experience at all. As long as he knows what he's doing and makes full use of its abilities and advantages, a monster can wipe the floor with any team of hunters, no matter how good. There is literally nothing that a hunter team can do to defeat a monster who knows the game extremely well. The monster has an answer for everything; a way to get out of every single situation he can possibly find himself in.

It's part of the reason why I'm temporarily staying away from the game. I always win as the monster, and when my hunter team wins (an extremely rare occurrence) I can always identify a list of enormous mistakes that the monster made throughout the match. And that's just the thing: Monsters are allowed a lot of mistakes in this game; even when making some mistakes, they still stand a very good chance at winning. Hunters, on the other hand, have to deliver (quite literally) complete perfection merely to stand a chance at winning; unless they just happen to be fighting a monster lacking in experience.

Zatoth

They just announced 2 new maps on Twitter but the link is broken at the moment
Edit: fixed link
http://evolvegame.com/news/two-new-free-maps-coming-to-evolve
Edit2: The Broken Hill Mine and Broken Hill Foundry maps will be available for free, and are coming first to Xbox One on March 31st, followed by PC and PlayStation 4 on April 30th.
Game's population is dying and they're still doing this timed exclusive shit. Brilliant.

Guess they don't expect to make much more money in the long term with DLC and rather take the exclusive money.

Haha, 2K continues with the blunders.
It does suck that the PC and PS4 maps are delayed, but on the bright side these look like they could be interesting maps! Just the fact that they are not just wilderness maps like the current ones will be a good change of pace.

Klyka

Banned
Guess they don't expect to make much more money in the long term with DLC and rather take the exclusive money.

The exclusive money has been paid beforehand already.
Remember the betas and such being bigger/longer on the Xbox?

They can't go back from that, the money has been paid. Other games do it too. It sucks, but we gotta live with it :(

Top Bottom