• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Jito

Banned
Strange how they're patching in a hook now to allow on the fly balances in the future. You'd think they'd have designed the game with that in mind in the first place due to the nature of the game, seems like yet another company coming to terms with an online only game (hello Bungie). Over a month for a balance patch is taking the piss and this focus on a patch for one platform is stupid as well.

Oh and holy shit, those maps are a month later on other platforms? This deal will mean an even quicker drop in players on PS4 and PC.

SMZC

Damn son a month? :/ game will most likely be uninstalled by then, already losing interest in playing as it is

I know they can't go back on it now, but I can't even imagine this deal with Microsoft being beneficial to Turtle Rock. Any update or new content to this game just can't come soon enough to stop the bleeding.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Guess they can't do much about a marketing deal like this, but that time difference really sucks. I hope the Behemoth doesn't do similar things.

Guess they can't do much about a marketing deal like this, but that time difference really sucks. I hope the Behemoth doesn't do similar things.

I can almost guarantee it will. There has not been a single aspect of this game where the XBONE crowd did not get a little something extra, or extra early. Longer alpha & beta, their rewards carried over to the main game, released a day early I think, they get updates at a higher priority, 1 moth early maps, etc.

I wonder exactly how much money MS has to pay them for this shit.

I'm surprised that the maps are only exclusive for a month. I was expecting to wait much longer.

I like how they look, especially Broken Hill Foundry. It really stands out compared to most of the other maps.

andycapps

Did you end up getting this on ps4? And I agree but at least it's a month

Yeah I did. The time period isn't too bad, it's just that I wish the timed exclusive stuff didn't exist at all. As a consumer, it doesn't do me any good, only benefits these big corporations, and I don't care about them.

Skyzard

Banned
The Broken Hill Mine and Broken Hill Foundry maps will be available for free, and are coming first to Xbox One on March 31st, followed by PC and PlayStation 4 on April 30th.

What. The. Fuck. A month delay for 2 maps? smdh. That's way too late to catch up with how fast the userbase is dropping.

The month wait for two maps seems a bit excessive, but I guess we don't really know the details behind the MS deal.

also LTTP- These gold skins are glorious! They're making my Goliath play that much more fun. Luckily I had no problems with them deleting my other skins on PC.

patchday

They just announced 2 new maps on Twitter but the link is broken at the moment
Edit: fixed link
http://evolvegame.com/news/two-new-free-maps-coming-to-evolve
Edit2: The Broken Hill Mine and Broken Hill Foundry maps will be available for free, and are coming first to Xbox One on March 31st, followed by PC and PlayStation 4 on April 30th.
Game's population is dying and they're still doing this timed exclusive shit. Brilliant.

PS4 owners have to wait that long?! Man that releases after Bloodborne and Dark Souls II: next gen console version. I dunno if I will bother to play

Havent booted this game up in weeks as it is...

TitusTroy

all of the current maps look pretty much the same so those new Mining maps can't come soon enough...the more enclosed space of the mine (with shortcuts) seems to favor the Monsters

andycapps

all of the current maps look pretty much the same so those new Mining maps can't come soon enough...the more enclosed space of the mine (with shortcuts) seems to favor the Monsters

I guess Hank will be useless in those mines considering his airstrike ability couldn't be called in. I mean, he'll have the shield, but considering one of his abilities is completely useless, I figure that Bucket or Cabot is the only way to roll on those.

TitusTroy

I guess Hank will be useless in those mines considering his airstrike ability couldn't be called in. I mean, he'll have the shield, but considering one of his abilities is completely useless, I figure that Bucket or Cabot is the only way to roll on those.

that's a good point...I'm sure Hank's orbital strikes can still be used otherwise you're nerfing one of the Hunters...or maybe the strike can only be used in certain sections of the map

Klyka

Banned
that's a good point...I'm sure Hank's orbital strikes can still be used otherwise you're nerfing one of the Hunters...or maybe the strike can only be used in certain sections of the map

I bet there are areas in the mines that have a high ceiling that's open and he can call them in there

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I'm sure they'll put open holes around the mine to make it useable in some places.

I've noticed in Nest they try to place a few under a roof so he can't orbital everything. Which might be more noticeable if everyone wasn't using Bucket for it. :p

CozMick

Banned
Just heard about the free content....

And a big, huge fuck you very much to turtle rock studios.

Xbox exclusive pre order content.
Xbox timed exclusive patches

and now....

Xbox timed exclusive free maps.

You guys really are something else, your ip is dead on its knees and you pull this shit? wow.

Klyka

Banned

and now....

You guys really are something else, your ip is dead on its knees and you pull this shit? wow.

No choice if they are locked into a contract

patchday

It wouldn't be that big of a deal if all the maps we have currently didn't all look the exact same. To 'casuals' like myself they all look exact same. I'm sure some experienced player is reading my post chuckling to themselves :)

So an urban map would rock! But long wait for us ps4 owners

and now....

Let me just take a moment to direct your worthy aggravation more accurately. Turtle Rock made the game, but 2k owns the rights to the game. So I assure you, you do not want to fuck Turtle Rock. You want to fuck 2k with a rusty spoon right in their greedy moneyholes.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
YO HOMIES, NEW MAPS

broken_hill_mine_02_logo.jpg

• Hunter Win: Mining Drones get repurposed as Shield Drones for the Hunter team in the next match.
  • Monster Win: Destroying the mining drill makes the environment tectonically unstable. The resulting earthquakes will flush out birds from the surrounding areas, deceiving the Hunters as to where the Monster is really located.
broken_hill_foundry_02_logo.jpg

• Hunter Win: Energy-dense bohrium is used to supercharge the Hunter’s jetpacks.
  • Monster Win: Destroying the foundry engulfs the Monster in bohrium gas, making its melee attacks even more powerful.

The Broken Hill Mine and Broken Hill Foundry maps will be available for free, and are coming first to Xbox One on March 31st, followed by PC and PlayStation 4 on April 30th.

[edit]Beaten, but im leaving it up anyways :p

Great news but only two maps and in the end of the month :( we need more content right now.More hunters and game modes!

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I love playing as the medic, especially Val and Caira, but it's hard for me to stay alive more than 20 seconds once the dome is up. The monster just homes in on me, which makes sense, but without a Hank I'm pretty much screwed. I try jetpacking out of the way, I keep my distance, but I still go down in seconds without Hank. Which is a problem, as Cabot is extremely popular...

So how do I deal with this? Do note I only play with randoms, unfortunately no Steam-friends of mine bought the game, so coordination with the team is a bit of an issue...

vazel

Banned
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I love playing as the medic, especially Val and Caira, but it's hard for me to stay alive more than 20 seconds once the dome is up. The monster just homes in on me, which makes sense, but without a Hank I'm pretty much screwed. I try jetpacking out of the way, I keep my distance, but I still go down in seconds without Hank. Which is a problem, as Cabot is extremely popular...

So how do I deal with this? Do note I only play with randoms, unfortunately no Steam-friends of mine bought the game, so coordination with the team is a bit of an issue...
When surviving against the monster it's all about your kiting skills. Don't run away in a straight angle as the monster will always outrun you. Pay attention to any nearby pillars and objects and kite around them.

When a competitive multiplayer game doesn't release updates to address outstanding balance issues for over a month after release, it is to be expected.

That doesn't sound right at all.

If that logic was applied to fighting games for instance you'd have dumb knee jerk patches all the damn time or the community would abandon the game.

I think this game is just not very fun unless you're playing the monster or playing with a genuinely coordinated team. This is compounded when there's lots of anger surrounding the dlc and other stuff going with this game.

Klyka

Banned

As Vazel said, you need to use the terrain but you also need your teammates to help you.
If you have Maggie or Abe with you, let them put down stasis and harpoon traps and run through those. if you have Markov, let him make you a little minefield to go into. Buckets turrets (if someone plays him,lol) work too so stay close to them.

If you got a Griffin with you, he has to harpoon the monster to keep it from you. if you have Hyde he can throw a toxic grenade at the monster but only when it has you trapped already since the grenades slow down friendlies.

You probably already do this but I will state the obvious just in case, as Ciara spam grenades at your feet. And maybe try and get behind other team mates, like try and get behind the assault who will just do crazy damage as the monster tries to run past him.

Bru

In addition to the great advice you've already received, I'd suggest you keep a look out for Bucket's turrets, Markov's mines, Maggie's harpoons and Abe's purple stasis clouds. Luring the Monster player into areas that deal high damage or severely limit manoeuvrability (while you kite) will soon put them off the chase.

Klyka

Banned
In addition to the great advice you've already received, I'd suggest you keep a look out for Bucket's turrets, Markov's mines, Maggie's harpoons and Abe's purple stasis clouds. Luring the Monster player into areas that deal high damage or severely limit manoeuvrability (while you kite) will soon put them off the chase.

529e5eda166e3.preview-620.gif

andycapps

You probably already do this but I will state the obvious just in case, as Ciara spam grenades at your feet. And maybe try and get behind other team mates, like try and get behind the assault who will just do crazy damage as the monster tries to run past him.

This, and try to stay far away from the fight. The hard part is what to do when the monster comes at you, in which case running to the assault and then past him makes sense so that he can damage the monster. If you're Caira you could speed burst away if you have to. Spamming grenades is good, also if support can put up their cloak that can help.

All of the above requires everyone to understand their role, hence the importance of mics.

bosseye

Hmmm. I was vaguely tempted by this on release, but decided to hang fire for other stuff.

Is this game slumping as badly as it seems to be? Timed map content, timed patches, compounding the decreasing userbase problem, price at retail dropping......none of which gives me the impression theres a long term experience here or any reason to jump in any time soon.

That doesn't sound right at all.

If that logic was applied to fighting games for instance you'd have dumb knee jerk patches all the damn time or the community would abandon the game.
Not sure 30+ days qualifies as a knee jerk lol.

As for your fighting game comparison, personally, Sagat in vanilla SFIV drove me away from that game..
Regardless, you're ignoring the years/decades of experience that these fighting game devs have with balancing characters for competitive play.
Turtle Rock doesn't have as much (we wouldn't be in this situation if they did) and therefore need to address these issues on a more timely basis. They don't have the luxury of being the Street Fighter team, ignoring balance complaints for months, and then releasing Super Evolve Turbo next year with balanced characters and maps.

Klyka

Banned
Yeh we'd have seen the whole of the new maps twice with them chasing it around for 20 minutes until it decides to kill them.

You realize the build they are playing is the one with the Wraith nerfs in effect?
I actually asked them in the chat and they acknowledged it.

Goliath is the poster monster of the game. Wraith is the step-mother.

Jito

Banned
Goliath is the friendly face to lure in unsuspecting players, the Wraith is the ugly truth most players have to live with.

I'm hating it more and more as I play the game, the Wraith is just counter to everything in the game really. It's all about stealth, not being found at all and running for the whole game, yet when it turns around and fights at level 3, it does an insane amount of damage in seconds. I'm starting to quit any match against the Wraith as it's pointless, the only times I've won is catching it at level 1.

-Deimos

Goliath is the friendly face to lure in unsuspecting players, the Wraith is the ugly truth most players have to live with.

I'm hating it more and more as I play the game, the Wraith is just counter to everything in the game really. It's all about stealth, not being found at all and running for the whole game, yet when it turns around and fights at level 3, it does an insane amount of damage in seconds. I'm starting to quit any match against the Wraith as it's pointless, the only times I've won is catching it at level 1.

Most of my losses are at level 3 as Wraith. That's when she's weakest since the hunters group up and start camping at the relay. You're not going to win against Wraith if you're desperately trying to catch her and get caught with your pants down when the player decides to engage.

Jito

Banned
Most of my losses are at level 3 as Wraith. That's when she's weakest since the hunters group up and start camping at the relay. You're not going to win against Wraith if you're desperately trying to catch her and get caught with your pants down when the player decides to engage.

I've lost once as level 3 Kraken yet I know that's not the norm for most, I wouldn't say the Kraken is OP because I play it well. TR admitted Wraith is OP, patch is incoming soon.

Top Bottom