• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excalibur: a NeoGAF Pathfinder Play by Post Campaign

Upon hearing nothing from the party, Leo decides that he needs to examine the nest more closely before returning. He pokes around the sticks to see if there's anything under them.
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=62492]Perception: 1D20 + 5 = [12]+5 = 17
[/url]
If he doesn't find anything, he lifts up the egg for a second, inspecting its base and seeing if there is anything beneath it.
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=62493]Perception: 1D20 + 5 = [20]+5 = 25
[/url]
Leo sees everything pertaining to the egg. He is one with the egg. He is the egg.
And then...
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=62494]Dexterity Check: 1D20 + 2 = [17]+2 = 19
[/url]
He gently puts the egg back down, presumably doing no damage to it. "There there, Eggetramus Baldwin IV, no one's going to hurt you. Guess I should get back to the party now."

There is a bit of sparkle underneath some of the twigs... but when he touches the egg, a shadow waves over him.

he lifts up the egg for a second
<It would be at this moment that I would have you roll stealth or sleight of hand.

But you have already failed the roll.>

Given the lack of response, Leo assumes that the shadow isn't after Eggetramus. Satisfied, he'll go for the shiny thing he saw in the twigs, with a hint of discretion, and try to head back to the party.
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=62495]Sleight of Hand: 1D20 + 5 = [15]+5 = 20
[/url]

((That doesn't beat Tiberious's CMD))

With the shiny thing in hand, Leo dodges a pair of talons. He will then make his exit from the nest, hoping to get the monster in an environment more favorable to fight in if it pursues.

Hoping to escape the giant bird's grasp before it can fling him from the nest, Tiberious launches into action and attempts to force it to release it' grip.

"Unhand me, fiend! Don't be so violent in front of Eggetramus!"
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=62497]Perform (Act): 1D20 + 18 = [10]+18 = 28
[/url]
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=62498]CMB Check: 1D20 + 15 = [8]+15 = 23
[/url]

<Let us step back and roll initiative before this turns into a back and forth where other characters aren't contributing. You can do that as your first turn action if you wish.>

1d20+2=14

What is now very apparently a giant eagle has the brave warrior in its grasp, carrying him the best it can in mid-air, though it is limited by the rope.

Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=62499]Initiative: 1D20 + 2 = [17]+2 = 19[/url]

As the giant eagle comes into the party's sight, Tiberious is attempting to escape its grasp.

Mike M

Nick N
Code:
Dreadstone Initiative check:  1d20+2=22
((Well there's that...))

Dreadstone unslings his bow and nocks an arrow. "What did I just get done sayin'?"

((Hm, there's a penalty for trying to hit an enemy while grappling if I don't have the improved precise aim feat, right?))

((Just had to go play dark souls 2 after that last post... missed that chance to do the one thing my class is good at. making skill checks to accomplish something that will in no way actually help the group.))

Init: (1d20+6=10)

((I hjaven't played a video game that's come out in the past two years since 2012. And that was Skyrim.

I have been playing Metroid Prime though.

Also I'm al ittle drunk))

(((It's a good thing I was never drunk while I posted as DM of the last game. You guys might have had to fight like... pink elephants and stuff___))

((Last time I got drunk while DMing, I had the party kill a Succubus that was not-so-subtlely designed after an ex, and told them they basically had a blank check on items for the night. Luckily, they didn't take advantage of that.))

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
((DS2 Jackben: Just finally beat the final challenge of a certain cavernous covenant that had me raging for a while.))

1d20+7=22

Watching in shock as Tiberius clumsily clambers onto the tree hanging over the cliff, Niko's eyes widen even further as the giant flying creature swoops through the air to pluck him from its nest. ((btw did the rope attached to him snap?)) "Chief, looks like this mission was just meant to be a big game hunt!" Adrenaline speeding through his body, the sorcerer takes advantage and powers up the rest of the party by casting Haste on those still on the ground.

"Don't let him get away!"

Initiative

Dreadstone
Niko
Tiberius
Stricia
Giant Eagle
Lady
Alf
Draco
Gnaw (you forgot to roll for him, so I set his initiative to zero. Not like it matters for this battle.)

<Yes, the rope is still intact.>

Mike M

Nick N
"Confound it... Leo! Don't move!"

Dreadstone draws his aim on the flapping form of the giant eagle and attempts to knock it from the sky.

Code:
Attack 1 vs Bird:  1d20+13+1(Point Blank)-2(Rapid Shot)=24
Damage:  2d8+10+2(Point Blank + Manyshot)=24

Rapid shot: 1d20+13+1(Point Blank-2(Rapid Shot)=32
Confirming crit:  1d20+13+1-2=27
Damage:  1d8+5+1=7
Bonus crit damage:  2d8+10+2=19

Attack 2:  1d20+8+1(Point Blank)-2(Rapid Shot)=19
Damage:  1d8+5+1=12

Innes_sniper_bow.gif

Almost immediately the giant eagle is shot down, taken by the grips of gravity and pulled into its own home, causing the entire tree to collapse and its contents crushed.

Nearly brought along to share the fate, Tiberius is suddenly yanked from the deadened grasp of the monstrous bird, and is soon pulled to the cliff side by the rope.

((Ok, wasn't sure. I kind of intended for him to act on what he saw in the sticks before moving on to the egg, but that was bad post writing on my part, so hopefully the item wasn't important.))

As the bird crashes down, Tiberious shouts "EGGETRAMUS NOOOOOO!!"

After getting pulled back up the cliff, Leo looks forlorn. "There was something shiny in the nest, but it went crashing away with that giant bird. Damn... if you'll excuse me, I need to make a grave for Eggetramus Baldwin IV."

Leo then takes a few minutes to throw together a makeshift grave for the egg.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Niko just shakes his head in disappointment as the majestic eagle crashes into the nest and goes tumbling unceremoniously down the cliff taking the nest and treasure along with it. "Okay. Well I guess the kingdom is safe from giant birds for the time being. Shall we?" He gestures back toward the forest.

Alf allows Tiberious enough time to mourn the loss of the egg (even though it doesn't make sense to him), then nods decisively when Nico speaks. "Yes. We ought move along. East into the forest. Keep eyes sharp."

After taking a minute to regain his composure and pouring out some of the excess seawater he carried along onto the grave, Leo agrees with Alf and Niko, thinking the forest is probably where they should be going now.

Top Bottom