• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the best outcome is waiting for these idiots to implode.

Then they can't use this as some kind of recruitment propaganda if it turns into a giant shit show.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, forget anything nice I said about the police handling of this. Press can just walk right in and give these people PR time, and the police are doing nothing to restrict access. This is horrible.

Sushi Nao

Yeah, forget anything nice I said about the police handling of this. Press can just walk right in and give these people PR time, and the police are doing nothing to restrict access. This is horrible.

I dunno, it still feels like a long game move to me. Success for these guys is any kind of fight, and any kind of aggression towards them will legitimize what they're doing. Any kind of injury or death in their group will just create endlessly exploited right-wing martyrs.

Right now, they're just angry dudes in a cold building, being laughed at by a lot of people. If they give up from boredom, infighting and hunger it'll be doubly deflating.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I dunno, it still feels like a long game move to me. Success for these guys is any kind of fight, and any kind of aggression towards them will legitimize what they're doing. Any kind of injury or death in their group will just create endlessly exploited right-wing martyrs.

Right now, they're just angry dudes in a cold building, being laughed at by a lot of people. If they give up from boredom, infighting and hunger it'll be doubly deflating.
Not really an issue with hunger since there's still free access to and from the facility.

Sushi Nao

Not really an issue with hunger since there's still free access to and from the facility.

Noted, but the rest of my point stands, right?

These people define themselves as being in conflict with an oppressive government, which is a worldview based on some pretty flawed assumptions. That the govt. refuses to play into their apocalyptic freedom fantasies is a pretty subtle move.

Either they leave ashamed or get frustrated and end up taking a potshot at a federal agent. Then all bets are off.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Noted, but the rest of my point stands, right?

These people define themselves as being in conflict with an oppressive government, which is a worldview based on some pretty flawed assumptions. That the govt. refuses to play into their apocalyptic freedom fantasies is a pretty subtle move.

Either they leave ashamed or get frustrated and end up taking a potshot at a federal agent. Then all bets are off.

I don't think so. Who cares what these people think. There is absolutely no pressure being put on these guys to end the standoff. The police are acting like these people have done nothing illegal. While no, they shouldn't run in and storm the place, that the response doesn't even include blocking access to the facility is a complete joke.

Sushi Nao

I don't think so. Who cares what these people think. There is absolutely no pressure being put on these guys to end the standoff. The police are acting like these people have done nothing illegal. While no, they shouldn't run in and storm the place, that the response doesn't even include blocking access to the facility is a complete joke.

But that would still play into a narrative of the big bad government moving to quash these good ol' boys' rights.

You and I know this is bullshit, and that they're actually criminals, but right-wing media is itching to run with this, and, well, it's an election year.

RPGCrazied

The fact these people still have power, or allowed to go into town to restock is pathetic.

And yeah, I'm one of those people that think, if they were say black/brown, this would have ended a long time ago, by the FBI.

jstripes

Banned

The authorities should certainly block access, but a lot of people are right: These guys want attention, and being martyrs is the ideal endgame for them. They absolutely won't go down without a firefight.

Unless violence breaks out, wait them out. Then arrest them when they disperse.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The authorities should certainly block access, but a lot of people are right: These guys want attention, and being martyrs is the ideal endgame for them. They absolutely won't go down without a firefight.

Unless violence breaks out, wait them out. Then arrest them when they disperse.

Exactly, they want attention. Cut off access so they don't get it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Exactly, they want attention. Cut off access so they don't get it.
And what if that leads to a firefight? No way to know how nutso these guys are until they're confronted.

If they wait it out, the government could gain a peaceful resolution and a strategic victory at the cost of a temporary loss of access to a minor government building.

But if the group starts taking over more buildings the costs could outweigh the benefits, and then the government will have to force the issue.

And what if that leads to a firefight? No way to know how nutso these guys are until they're confronted.

If they wait it out, the government could gain a peaceful resolution and a strategic victory at the cost of a temporary loss of access to a minor government building.

But if the group starts taking over more buildings the costs could outweigh the benefits, and then the government will have to force the issue.

at the very least we should get a crappy PR statement from the feds saying they don't condone this

the lack of action from the authorities is just a reminder of how far white privilege can take you in this country

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
We're over a week in and they've done nothing about the power, access, or actually doing fuck all?

Seriously, what in the hell is the FBI even fucking doing.

Javaman

We're over a week in and they've done nothing about the power, access, or actually doing fuck all?

Silently adding each and every one of them to the FBI watch list. These dingbats would have done much better laying low but now they're going to be monitored for the rest of their lives.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Silently adding each and every one of them to the FBI watch list. These dingbats would have done much better laying low but now they're going to be monitored for the rest of their lives.

WOW! So the FBI will be able to continue watching these guys do illegal things without consequences. That's just great!

The level of incompetence displayed by all branches of the government in handling Ruby Ridge and Waco should make you very weary of the government attempting to intervine. I think the wait and see approach is the best method. As long as these people aren't holding anyone hostage or posing an immediate threat I don't see the need for the use of force.

akira28

The fact these people still have power, or allowed to go into town to restock is pathetic.

And yeah, I'm one of those people that think, if they were say black/brown, this would have ended a long time ago, by the FBI.

well, black and brown people with guns would probably want some real changes. these guys just want some friends to get criminal pardons, and want some increased land rights. This land is their land already.

eu pfhor ia

Neo Member
... and want some increased land rights.

Actually, as far as I can tell they want NO land rights: they want all public lands in the USA sold into private holdings.

That is what their incoherent list of demands boil down to, other than the demands for new underwear and cheetos. It's a sideshow for the circus of American politics, pretty much.

johnsmith

remember me
Turn off the fucking power already! Though I guess this gives them something else to charge them with.
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/01/oregon_standoff_what_you_need_3.html

In taking control of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge headquarters, militants occupying the site have also taken over the desks of the people who work at the site – their cubicles, their computers and, evidently, their personnel files. Oregon Public Broadcasting visited the compound Friday and reported that militants appeared to be using federal computers inside the compound, machines that can be accessed only with employees' ID badges. Lists of names and Social Security numbers were visible, alongside government ID cards.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The level of incompetence displayed by all branches of the government in handling Ruby Ridge and Waco should make you very weary of the government attempting to intervine. I think the wait and see approach is the best method. As long as these people aren't holding anyone hostage or posing an immediate threat I don't see the need for the use of force.

They're not using a wait and see approach.

They're doing nothing. Cutting these people off, and stopping access to and from the facility WOULD be a hands off approach.

Quixzlizx

They're not using a wait and see approach.

They're doing nothing. Cutting these people off, and stopping access to and from the facility WOULD be a hands off approach.

The only thing I can think of is that they're treating these guys like toddlers in the middle of a tantrum that aren't even worth the attention. Just ignore them for long enough and they'll eventually stop screaming and leave.

Although the NYPD probably could've done the same thing toward OWS instead of losing patience and administering a beatdown. I guess that's the benefit of throwing an armed tantrum.

antonz

POWER IS STILL ON?

HOLY HELL

The Feds are mostly letting the Sheriff be in charge it seems and he is enjoying this a bit too much probably. He is using this to make his own media circus events where he parades his family around and even has "political enemies" of his suddenly praising him about how he is a good patriot etc.

Feds probably need to step in on some basic things like power etc

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Pretty sure no one's said they need to use for (at least at the this stage) but they need to do something more than sitting around and hoping these morons will tucker themselves out after a while.

besada

Banned
vGl7bsv.jpg

AzGcPYP.jpg

Well, if we hadn't reached farce, we're there now.

akira28

Time Travel! That was their plan all along...

Feds need to cut power before they can start it up again, or the next pictures we'll see is them shaking hands with Jesus and Dale Earnhardt.

The Feds are mostly letting the Sheriff be in charge it seems and he is enjoying this a bit too much probably. He is using this to make his own media circus events where he parades his family around and even has "political enemies" of his suddenly praising him about how he is a good patriot etc.

Pretty much nailed it. The Sheriff has no interest in actually taking a stand here.

To be fair, neither do the Feds, which is why they're just dumping this onto the Sheriff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom