• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EyeToy: AntiGrav - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/eyetoyantigrav/index.html

"The risk of pushing the envelope is that you can slip and end up with a real nasty paper cut. EyeToy: AntiGrav is definitely outside Harmonix's comfort zone of mostly music-driven gaming, though it's an honest effort at something interesting and accessible. However, the daring design outstrips the technology that drives it. The game remains an interesting experiment, and intrigued EyeToy owners should definitely give it a rental, if, for nothing else, just to understand how novel it is, even among games that ride almost entirely on novelty. In the end, though, the technical shortcomings of the EyeToy seem to explain exactly why most EyeToy games are short and sweet affairs."

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Doesn't sound too bad to me. The issues they outline don't seem insurmountable, just require a little discipline in your movements. Will wait to see what other reviewers have to say though.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
7.4 From IGN:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/563/563841p1.html

Closing Comments
Overall, AntiGrav is a hugely innovative title that delivers on many of its promises to create a game that engages players like never before. It can also get kids off the couch and work up a bit of a sweat in the process which is always fantastic. With the creative controls and the courses that take advantage of them this is a game that does a lot. The main problems, however, are what have been omitted. Where is the fleshed-out trick system? Why are there only five courses? As a result, this is a fantastic first true game for the EyeToy, but as a whole it still comes in below the other "regular" boarding games out there that provide more control and track selection for people to play with.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Average scores, but I'm buying it, as it's a game that I wanted to see made since, well, forever. It's one of those things I was thinking about as a kid, and hoping one day it'd get made.

When AntiGrav is working right, it's a totally immersive experience that is seamlessly and intuitively able to translate your movement into onscreen action, which is truly an incredible feat. But when you're trying to trick the camera into recognizing your face again, it's no kind of fun at all.

As a purely objective point this head control of the game is an innovative, but by playing it, it gets much, much better. Unlike all the other EyeToy games out there, AntiGrav doesn't have any grainy video footage of the gamer in the game itself. It's just a boarder on screen like every other game and there's a status screen on the bottom right that shows the current head and hand positions as a double-check, but it's practically unnecessary. What's so cool about what's going on is that the game starts to feel real with subtle movements making an on-screen character get through the world.

As a result of this sense of connection, AntiGrav becomes a game that truly makes you duck and move as if you were that person on the hoverboard. Ducking under the hurdles and flying through the air is a pretty incredible experience and one that's highly recommended for anyone who's tired of using their EyeToy to wash windows or smack enemies or any of the other lookalike mini-games out there.

Sounds good, and I'm pretty sure I won't really mind issues they mention can occur sometimes, but I can see how it can be offputting for people not willing to ever struggle with technology.

I want this game badly!

The video of it on last month's OPM reminded me a bit of Top Skater, or what if some forward thinking company tried replicating a similar experience at home, sans big ass arcade cabinet. w00t! Sony +1!

I look forward to securing a copy.

Then I can map my dupa on my THUG2 skater using the Eyetoy. :D

Top Bottom