• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EyeToy: AntiGrav Hands On (gaming age has a front page lolol)

BuddyC

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/previews/preview.pl?sys=ps2&game=antigrav

EyeToy: AntiGrav, the latest EyeToy title from Sony and Harmonix, isn't exactly your average EyeToy title. It isn't a collection of various mini-games, nor is it a rhythm game. You don't watch yourself play the game either, which seems to break some sort of unwritten rule regarding EyeToy use. Rather, EyeToy: AntiGrav is what Sony calls, the "first and only EyeToy technology-controlled 3D character-based game."

Instead of fighting off the hordes of miniscule ninjas attacking your upper half, you move your body to control the on-screen character. In other words, it's a lot like your average video game - just with EyeToy support.
During my playtime, I came across a few instances where I would have to go back and recalibrate the game. These usually followed sessions of extreme motion that would cause the EyeToy to lose track of my head and, as a result, send my character spiraling out of control. As I spent more time with the demo, these occurrences became increasingly rare, to the point where I can now do a few runs without any issues. It's just a matter of learning the limits of the EyeToy and, at the same time, becoming more skilled at the game.

The more I played AntiGrav and the better I got, the more fun I had with it. There's just something gratifying about jumping and waving your arms madly, only to see the on-screen character reflect your actions. And unlike other EyeToy games, this one seems to perform reasonably well in the poor lighting of my bedroom. The core concept of the game is a lot of fun, and that's the most important part. It certainly has a lot of potential, and assuming they can offer a substantial single-player campaign with performance-based goals (similar to Frequency or Amplitude, forcing you to meet a goal before you can progress to the next level), Harmonix and Sony look to have another cult favorite on their hands.
More at the link.

manngc

When I saw the preview for this game on the Burnout 3 OPM demo disc I knew I had to get this game. The use of the eye toy in this game just seems unbelievable and quite exciting... :)

Mann

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I heard the Eye Toy can be used w/ a PC. I'm going to go get one today.

jenov4

Sounds interesting, I was personally getting sick of all these EyeToy play clones. Sounds innovative and refreshing! (Just like DNL!)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Been looking forward to this one and the Sega Superstars pack. They've been getting some positive reaction.

DaCocoBrova said:
I heard the Eye Toy can be used w/ a PC. I'm going to go get one today.

Yes. Some amateur hackers have rebuild a Logitech driver to use it, because the PCs recognize it as a Logitech cam for some reason. Google it, you should find. If everything goes right I'll get my Sega Superstars Pack tommorow.
324803ps.gif

DaCocoBrova

I already have the files. I grabbed 'em for future use. Now if someone would do the same for Canon digital cameras...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Guns N' Poops said:
because the PCs recognize it as a Logitech cam for some reason.
I believe that's because its actually manufactured by Logitech, or at least based on their design.

daMandus

It seems there is a new version of the EyeToy-camera out. It still works as a webcam for the PC but you might need the new file.

I like the fact that you do not see yourself. That is fine for party games, but not for more serious games where it will take you out of the game.

DaCocoBrova

If anyone cares for the link to the hacked logitech drivers... They can be found somewhere within this very post...

*Mods - If that violates the TOS or offends a 30+ year old black man, just edit it or something.*

Top Bottom