• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard - Hands-On Previews

T4keD0wN

Yeah, those games have really spoiled me

Never finished Pathfinder games (I was tired of reading/lack of voice-acting)
One of the biggest shortcomings of those games for sure, the voice acting was pretty good, but the quantity of it was severely lacking. Ive always found it weird how the rest/camping dialogue was voiced, but some of the main story parts werent. Luckily the last DLC for the second game was fully voiced and so will apparently be whatever their next game is, would be cool if theyll go back to the setting in the future.

StereoVsn

I couldn't care less what these previews say. If you watch the footage, it's clear the battle system is at least potentially pretty awesome. More than enough reason to play it on GP in a year.

I have zero expectations for the story or cast of characters. They all look like losers, and I haven't cared about Dragon Age since part 1.
I mean if that’s the expectation, it should work. Game is going to be on EA Live/GamePass a year or less after release and for the price of “free” giving it a few hours to try out isn’t bad.

StereoVsn

Looking foward to this for sure. Liked all of the first 3 to varying degrees, and am generally just sucker for games with dialogue options, choice that have impacts on character relationships and quest line outcomes etc. Don't care if the combat is meh as the story and characters are the draw of these kind of games for me.
… you think this game will have well written characters and good storytelling? 😔

Ozriel

M$FT
I can't fully put into words how much I loathe the millennial adult children vibe.

"This was VERY important to me: you can pet the dog, as many times as you wantl! Yaaaay"

"Be sure to say hello and play rock-paper-scissors with the nice mister skeleton"

It's just an animation. What the fuck are you talking about. What happened in your life

Why does that really bother you, though?

Everyone pays their $70 and picks out what they like from the package.

There are people who want to pet dogs or cats.

Some people gush about photo modes in games.

Some spend hours on side missions chasing Platinum trophies

To each their own.

… you think this game will have well written characters and good storytelling? 😔

Previews are optimistic with regards to those, so yeah?

dmaul1114

I'm not that picky I guess. I've enjoyed them in the prior 3 games in the series and all the Mass Effect games. Even Andromeda had some decent character questlines IMO, even though the mains story was meh at best and the game had a lot of open world bloat (as did Inquisition).

I have lower standards for story and writing in games too as the interactivity adds a lot for me vs. a movie, show or novel. If I wanted to focus only on quality writing, I'd stick with the best in those mediums as games rarely, if fever, come close to the top stuff there. Games I find more fun, and that they hold my shitty attention span better, due to being interactive.

Kacho

Top surgery scars toggle in character creation. LOL
Just saw that. Excellent.

poo.jpg

StereoVsn

I'm not that picky I guess. I've enjoyed them in the prior 3 games in the series and all the Mass Effect games. Even Andromeda had some decent character questlines IMO, even though the mains story was meh at best and the game had a lot of open world bloat (as did Inquisition).

I have lower standards for story and writing in games too as the interactivity adds a lot for me vs. a movie, show or novel. If I wanted to focus only on quality writing, I'd stick with the best in those mediums as games rarely, if fever, come close to the top stuff there. Games I find more fun, and that they hold my shitty attention span better, due to being interactive.
Ahh, then it might not be too bad. I can’t stand some of the modern gaming storylines (and movies) and disliked ME3, DAI, Andromeda, etc.. so I am going to try this on GamePass or EA sub in a year at best.

Man, I really wish devs could take a lead from Larian on how to do well written storylines if they wanted progressive stuff in them. Or even Hogwarts.

Raven117

Yeah...Not going in day 1 with this.

But...if there enough real world positive impressions, sure, I'll give it a go.

Man, I really wish devs could take a lead from Larian on how to do well written storylines if they wanted progressive stuff in them. Or even Hogwarts.
You cannot be serious with Larian, with that moon maiden character. Has to be most off putting character I have seen in years.

StereoVsn

You cannot be serious with Larian, with that moon maiden character. Has to be most off putting character I have seen in years.
I am serious since majority of the game I enjoyed quite a bit. One of my favorite games over the last 10 years.

Yeah, couple things weren’t great here and there, but it’s 100 hour game and for 90%+ it was very good.

Bombolone

Gold Member
I hope the audience for this game shows up. Like AAA studio/budget, shows up.
If it has the audience to warrant the $$ more power to them.
Going by very recent releases (concord, dustbin, suicide squad) it’s an uphill battle.

Mossybrew

Just watched the Skillup preview. Seems promising, I think the combat looks fun. Still not a huge fan of the graphical look they went with, it's like some unhappy medium between realism and a fully stylized art style like WoW or Fortnite.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, those games have really spoiled me

Never finished Pathfinder games (I was tired of reading/lack of voice-acting)
Try the new 40K one, Rogue Trader. It has most conversations with voice acting.

Personally I liked Pathfinder approach, it kind of went back to BG2 days for me, and I don’t mind walls of text! 😁

Hari Seldon

It doesn’t look completely terrible but this is a wait for a deep sale game. I absolutely hated Inquisition and TBH I think BG3 spoiled me to the point where I’m not really interested in playing lesser RPGs. Maybe when I’m bored of other games and remember that this exists, but I could definitely not ever play this game and not really care.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The press played 6-7 hours of the game:

Whats Going On Reaction GIF by Travis

Ozriel

M$FT
You ever come across curated previews that weren't positive? Come on mate this isn't your first rodeo.

7 hours long playtime, covering some of the more thorny issues people had like the visuals, combat and companions. And still positive.

We’re now at the stage where Luke Stephens and SkillUp are being accused of ‘shilling’.

Not sure about ‘curated’, since the preview pool had quite a lot of outlets, and there’s no real gag order, just restrictions on things that could be spoilers.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
7 hours long playtime, covering some of the more thorny issues people had like the visuals, combat and companions. And still positive.

We’re now at the stage where Luke Stephens and SkillUp are being accused of ‘shilling’.

Not sure about ‘curated’, since the preview pool had quite a lot of outlets, and there’s no real gag order, just restrictions on things that could be spoilers.
Redfall ring any bells?

Skillup (who i actually quite like) also returned positive impressions on CP2077 and Outlaws from preview events btw. I'm not personally accusing anyone of "shilling" but these events are highly controlled for what people get to experience. i'll at least await for full reviews for trusted sources before crow is served.

Skillup likens it to GOW2018 at points, not exactly what i think when Dragon Age comes to mind, we'll see i guess. The Graphics looked nice at the very least.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Redfall ring any bells?

Skillup (who i actually quite like) also returned positive impressions on CP2077 and Outlaws from preview events btw. I'm not personally accusing anyone of "shilling" but these events are highly controlled for what people get to experience. i'll at least await for full reviews for trusted sources before crow is served.

Skillup likens it to GOW2018 at points, not exactly what i think when Dragon Age comes to mind, we'll see i guess. The Graphics looked ice at the very least.

Redfall previews came from a 90 min curated slice of the game, with characters fully specced and a solid load out. Only the PC version was available to journalists. That would certainly have skewed perception.

CP2077 had very glowing reviews on PC at launch. Previews were on the PC version too.

This one seems to be the first 7 hours of Veilguard. And even if you’re not keen on taking their word for the overall game, at least thoughts on the Combat and visuals are things you can consider.

I can't fully put into words how much I loathe the millennial adult children vibe.

"This was VERY important to me: you can pet the dog, as many times as you wantl! Yaaaay"

"Be sure to say hello and play rock-paper-scissors with the nice mister skeleton"

It's just an animation. What the fuck are you talking about. What happened in your life
And the worst part is that devs seem to cater their games to these people who must make up the tiniest fraction of people who want to play a game like Dragon Age … I’d get it for a Stardew Valley type game

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Pleasantly surprised at how positive the previews have mostly been.

Looking forward to this, but my one gripe is that they apparently changed the name of the game from Dreadwolf to Veilguard because the story isn't that much about Solis.... which is explicitly what the last games finale set up.

Please have a complete narrative.

Top Bottom