• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard - Hands-On Previews

simpatico

If some intrepid developer made dialog options for people that absolutely hate the characters, I would be down to try it. Just shit on every single conversational interaction. Call people names, tell them they have stupid ideas, look ugly etc. EA might have missed a ton of money by not mandating this dialog branch. I bet it's like Fallout 4 where are you do can is varying degrees of "OK I agree"

Last edited:

Ridicululzz

If some intrepid developer made dialog options for people that absolutely hate the characters, I would be down to try it. Just shit on every single conversational interaction. Call people names, tell them they have stupid ideas, look ugly etc. EA might have missed a ton of money by not mandating this dialog branch. I bet it's like Fallout 4 where are you do can is varying degrees of "OK I agree"
Now this would be cool. Honestly more RPGs need options like this where you can just be a total ass to characters.

Ozriel

M$FT
Right, that's kind of the point - these are positive previews, not reviews. They're trying to get more positive word of mouth going because there's been some negativity after the first trailer and sneak peak from IGN.

Pretty much every AAA game gets previewed by the press. Has nothing to do with any negativity and it's considered a part of the marketing cycle too. Everyone who isn't new to gaming knows this.

The most likely reason these are positive previews is because the 7 hour play time left a positive impression with the press.

Portugeezer

You dont seem to remember that he gave glowing praise in the preview and the next day when the game released, he did a 180 and shat on it, like he does with any other game. . This guy is the biggest parasite around and has a history of stealing reviews from other people.
YongYea did same shit with cyberpunk. These youtubers will always shill, it's their dream job to get access early and talk about video games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This dude doesn't mince words. Should be a good watch. He triggered the fuck outta me when he shat on Starfield last year, I ended up unsubbing (lol), but he ended up being right.

Let's keep this thread positive btw
You dont seem to remember that he gave glowing praise in the preview and the next day when the game released, he did a 180 and shat on it, like he does with any other game. . This guy is the biggest parasite around and has a history of stealing reviews from other people.
with the Concord debacle I started watching Asmongold and Luke Stephens. I agree with most of their comments on the handful of videos I've seen. Asmongold seems more matter of fact saying stuff while seeming stoned with the way he talks, while Luke sometimes adds a more business side to it.

I think Luke's videos are good so far, but he's a fraud stealing content?

ThesaurusRex

Neo Member
Feeling a lot better about the game after these hands on previews. Still sad about the conversion to action game from CRPG, but it seems like the combat is actually good so I can't complain too much. Graphics in the footage that I've seen from these previews looks good, if stylized. Exception being the Qunari, which I just don't think translates well to this art style. Might be a day 1 purchase if reviews look good.

Ridicululzz

How.many copies does the Game have to move to be considered a success? 5 millions?
It'll really depend on how much went into the game with marketing, development, and all that combined. I think 5 million would be pretty successful though for this series.

I think only Inquisition has topped 5 million in sales.

Kacho

with the Concord debacle I started watching Asmongold and Luke Stephens. I agree with most of their comments on the handful of videos I've seen. Asmongold seems more matter of fact saying stuff while seeming stoned with the way he talks, while Luke sometimes adds a more business side to it.

I think Luke's videos are good so far, but he's a fraud stealing content?
I’m sure if you google his name + Reddit you’ll see threads about it. I’m not familiar with the controversy.

I have very limited exposure to Luke’s content. I find him to be a bit of a dork in an annoying way. He does have occasionally good videos on Assassins Creed. That’s how I found his channel.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Look if the game's bad, it won't be because there's woke shit in it. By the same token if it's great, it won't be because woke shit isn't in it. If the gameplay and story are legit, then I've got another fun Action RPG to play.

If you want to call DEI in a game a mining canary problem, I understand. I think the same way. But it doesn't always amount to a flop or a critical failure. Just look at Baldur's Gate 3. That game could have you run around as a naked bald gnome dude, who's non-binary and rocking a vag. It's still one of the best games ever made.

Kacho

But it doesn't always amount to a flop or a critical failure. Just look at Baldur's Gate 3. That game could have you run around as a naked bald gnome dude, who's non-binary and rocking a vag. It's still one of the best games ever made.
I understand what you're saying here, there's truth to it, but let's not even pretend Veilguard has a chance at sniffing Baldur's Gate's farts.

TheChumpNation

Neo Member
Fextralife said the combat is a pleasant surprise, being both fun and deep.

He then said the writing and dialogue choices seem to be shallow and not to the standard of BGIII, the Witcher, etc.

Neither is much of a surprise. The game seems like it has a couple of interesting elements, but not enough to overcome all it's other annoyances (at least for me).

royox

All the previews are SUSPICIOUSLY overly positive with none of them speaking about the bad things of the game. I don't know but it smells bad. The "only 4 skills" combat, only 2 companions that you cannot manually control anymore, companions that look horrible and the IU looking like a smartphone game...why nobody talks about those points?

And then there's the other preview saying "IT'S LIKE MASS EFFECT 2", shut up.

Since I know 90% of this game is just done to spread "THE AGENDA" I will be waiting for real players to try it...and with more reason now knowing that the Boob/Ass sliders for female characters is absolute shit but they OF COURSE had to add masectomy scars...in a MEDIEVAL PHANTASY game.

PeteBull

How.many copies does the Game have to move to be considered a success? 5 millions?
Depends if we talking full 70$ price or some deep discount in 2-3years, for comparision official sales data from previous DA:I is 12m copies, i would say 5m durning launch window aka at full price is decent enough for game to not flop, above 10m will be great success.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
lol yoooo wtf? I don't pay much attention to reviews theses days, but I never knew this type of shit went on lol

I'm not surprised you'd have some people try to quickly shit on a game after other reviews release, I think many online (especially on social media) are so scared to go against the status que or the mob rule, they'll ONLY try to give a score that fits what everyone else states as not to have a differing view, like their scared to give their real, honest, unbias opinion, but people like this sound like they'd still reviews or try to lie and pretend they "changed" their minds to jump on some bandwagon or something lol

I wanted to just see some previews to see what the game is like, but it seems even thats not safe anymore..

GymWolf

Gold Member
How much did they paid this luke thomas dude uh?

Because to say that the skin is better than any open world game when in reality it gets absolutely murdered by the skin in hfw, a crossgen full open world game from almost 3 years ago, the dude must have cashed the biggest check :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Hell even zero dawn is enough

da-main-1718099429157.jpg

AxNmFtU5ZXbkXeNLkh9SaT-1200-80.jpeg

e3a3f0f1c5842ac3908cb1bca584b217.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

dragon-age-the-veilguard-varric.jpg

horizon-character-art-erend-portrait.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is that how it went down? Damn. I only remember him ripping the game to shreds. I stand corrected if he is as you describe. I don’t pay close attention to him in general.

Edit: yep, he’s pretty positive about the game. Let’s see if he does a 180 at launch.

Anyway, #feels

stuff like this feels corny and misguided. Reminds me of FF16 and how Square-Enix’s marketing made a big deal out of petting the dog. That’s not even a thing anymore. It’s so “uwu” it’s insulting. lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
errr not really.

With RPGs like this, it’s a nice detail to have you interact with world this way, even in non-RPGs, I'm like 99% sure you can do this in RDR2.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, but my purchase decision isn’t based upon these small things. With RDR2 I was thinking about what guns I had and how to run away from the law. I don’t think I petted anything besides my horse a couple times. I don’t exactly remember.

Maybe it’s just me because I’ll skip the mini games, the small human like gestures, and etc. I kinda fell off the bandwagon after Fable. It never exceeded my expectations. It felt very robotic. Void of personality. My journey has ADHD. Get in, get what I need, and get on with it.

I’m not sure what I expect from this. It could be good or another run of the mill fantasy game. I miss Morgan and that whole thing. Telling me about petting animals and playing rock paper scissors sounds like I’d be wasting $70. I already feel like I lost money on Andromeda and Anthem.

StereoVsn

Pleasantly surprised at how positive the previews have mostly been.

Looking forward to this, but my one gripe is that they apparently changed the name of the game from Dreadwolf to Veilguard because the story isn't that much about Solis.... which is explicitly what the last games finale set up.

Please have a complete narrative.
Trusting previews is iffy. Look at Outlaws just recently.

Metnut

Amazing that the thread discussing the actual previews of the game has about 1/5 the amount of posts that the thread discussing a completely optional feature in the character creator (that we’d likely never know existed if someone hadn’t told us to be mad about it) does.

Are we still trusting the likes of IGN, Eurogamer, Gamerant and so on? Moreover when the game has "devs armor" and critics won't say a bad thing about it until players realize it's a turd.

If you read between the lines, there are more red flags than an F1 race.

Amazing that the thread discussing the actual previews of the game has about 1/5 the amount of posts that the thread discussing a completely optional feature in the character creator (that we’d likely never know existed if someone hadn’t told us to be mad about it) does.

IGN has this feature as the prime reason to like the game. That speaks volumes of its actual quality.

RavageX

Yeah, those games have really spoiled me

Never finished Pathfinder games (I was tired of reading/lack of voice-acting)
I just finished Kingmaker and enjoyed it a lot. I play for the choices. I did a reasonably good playthrough. I enjoyed it and the ending was mostly happy. Going to start the second one after a break, and might try Pillars of Eternity again...maybe.

As for this game, I'll lurk in the shadows and see how it turns out.

i can't wait to create my character with my post-op trans chest scars! finally a game where i can be my authentic self!! so much joy and love!!! if only people could see me and recognize ME FOR WHO I AM!! ME! ME!! ME!!!!

Alebrije

Not My coup of tea , art direction looks like a móvil Game sometimes. Gameplay is average not wow Moments on videos on You Tube.

Don't think it Will bomb the way some people Say but at the same time sales Will be less than expected by Bioware because this is a saturated genre where You can find games so much better like BG3 , Dragons Dogma2.

I have played DEV before but it's called Darksiders:

500_333.jpeg

Last edited:
Im surprised by all the positive previews considering what's been going on in the background, obvious wokeness sprinkled all over. Either the game and story itself are great, or these people are just stroking each other's c****s since they fall under the same umbrella.

nowhat

Looking forward to this, but my one gripe is that they apparently changed the name of the game from Dreadwolf to Veilguard because the story isn't that much about Solis.... which is explicitly what the last games finale set up.

Please have a complete narrative.
If the theme is keeping up with the narrative, it's Solas. But agreed, Dreadwolf would have made more sense. Then again, this will not be a live service game (as it was envisioned for quite a while), so that part gives me at least a little hope.

...and also, while I probably won't preorder but wait for reviews, the prospect of banging scout Harding is intriguing. The DA series is fundamentally a glorified dating sim, after all.

don-mika

Neo Member
so after all the early previews and "hands on's", theres no any "killer feature" besides that elfs is just black and asian humans

Kinda funny said it's graphically one of the best looking games they've ever seen...umm what?...maybe it's because they played on 4090s idk but the gameplay does look good

I've seen enough footage now to know I don't need to play this game.

Gone is the dark fantasy look. Instead, the art style is Fortnite/WoW-esque garbage made to appeal to the main stream.

You cannot control teammates any longer. Part of the fun of prior DA games, was being able to switch between them when you wanted to switch up your gameplay style for a bit.

The combat looks boring and button mashy. I know some outlets are comparing it to GOW2018, but that doesn't inspire confidence in me, because the best I can say about GOW's combat was that it was functional and fine. It was never exciting or deep or strategic or challenging. It was fine. Western devs just can't make action games like Eastern devs. I'm sorry. It's a fact.

The writing and dialogue so far sounds like it was written by someone who has never consumed any media written by anyone other than Joss Whedon and has never been outside of the state of California.

To Bioware, good luck courting the "modern audience". Maybe this will finally be the game they actually buy, but empirical evidence makes me think you're going to regret pissing off the existing Dragon Age fanbase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom