• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live 60 miles away from the next major city, 100 miles away from second nearest city, 350 from Philly, 400 from New York so I doubt it :p

Pau would take a bus between Pittsburgh and New York twice a weekend sometimes

Wait till you get to Alaska. It's that distance between villages

I never said it was more than in the US ;p but it's not as easy to travel in between countries as you'd imagine. I guess the states are better equipped when dealing with this because they're used to it.

people also tend to think I can easily make it to Munich or Berlin in just a half-day's journey or even less.

Misha

Banned
I never said it was more than in the US ;p but it's not as easy to travel in between countries as you'd imagine. I guess the states are better equipped when dealing with this because they're used to it.

people also tend to think I can easily make it to Munich or Berlin in just a half-day's journey or even less.
Well Munich to Berlin is the distance from here to New York and some people do a one day business trip there and back so.... :p

But that's a good idea for your first video. Live stream you taking a long trip that isn't far away and show Americans how tedious it really is :p

Interesting point from Twitter: So George Bush has been accepted now, but Nader is evil for...allowing George Bush to be president? Whaaa?

Eh, some people find it funny, no need for anyone to get worked up in this day and age what with competition providing a plethora of comedy shows to watch elsewhere on your TV.

Oh I don't get worked up about it, I was just saying why I dislike it. People can like what they like I don't care (mostly)

Well you have only 440 km to Munich and 540 km to Berlin though :p
it's a bit more. and it's still about 6 hours with a car, longer with busses etc.
a lot of people tend to be like "hayoo I know you're german, I'm in Berlin rn, come say hello real quick!" which is not that easily done.

Well Munich to Berlin is the distance from here to New York and some people do a one day business trip there and back so.... :p

But that's a good idea for your first video. Live stream you taking a long trip that isn't far away and show Americans how tedious it really is :p
business people usually take the plane which is faster but also more expensive. even though just taking the train is already about 130€ (only one way).
I guess Berlin has a fairly good train connection since it's the capital but I already took a longer time visiting other cities. it really always depends.

Misha

Banned
it's a bit more. and it's still about 6 hours with a car, longer with busses etc.
a lot of people tend to be like "hayoo I know you're german, I'm in Berlin rn, come say hello real quick!" which is not that easily done.

Yeah I get that.
"I'm in Pennsylvania right now so that has to be pretty close to you right?"
"Where in Pennsylvania?"
"Philly"
"...."
business people usually take the plane which is faster but also more expensive. even though just taking the train is already about 130€ (only one way).
I guess Berlin has a fairly good train connection since it's the capital but I already took a longer time visiting other cities. it really always depends.
130 seems pretty expensive tbh

Yeah I get that.
"I'm in Pennsylvania right now so that has to be pretty close to you right?"
"Where in Pennsylvania?"
"Philly"
"...."

130 seems pretty expensive tbh

I guess the point is that America makes it easier to travel around because it has such great distances. I think it's also way more common/accesible to fly to places within the country.
Germany may be smaller in general but it doesn't mean you can just walk from town to town. same with Europe. I mean if I really wanted to go somewhere it's definitely possible but not that easy/cheap whatever. which is part of the reason why my bestie moving to Hamburg is so sad :(

Fluvian

Banned
Saw the new episode of westworld. I'll get into more detail about what I thought when everyone's seen it, but it's certainly a great episode, if the last episode did all the heavy lifting of setting the plot and premise up, this episode did all the lifting on initial character development and introducing new key players.
Judging by this episode Anthony Hopkins is gonna be more than the mysterious owner who probably has all the answers, he's got his own mystery going on and I look forward to seeing what happens with it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hello Fakers

Hi bae *blushes*

Hello how you doing darling?
invoker-romance.gif

Misha

Banned
I guess the point is that America makes it easier to travel around because it has such great distances. I think it's also way more common/accesible to fly to places within the country.
Germany may be smaller in general but it doesn't mean you can just walk from town to town. same with Europe. I mean if I really wanted to go somewhere it's definitely possible but not that easy/cheap whatever. which is part of the reason why my bestie moving to Hamburg is so sad :(
I've never flown in my life. Been to:
Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit(well a suburb), Chicago, indianapolis, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, NYC, buffalo, philly, Baltimore, DC, Raleigh, charlotte, Annapolis, and Virginia Beach tho. Takes awhile to get anywhere but it's not like there's a choice.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

6 hours with car sounds right with all roadworks / delays

I know that my relatives from the States were quite baffled with the fact that I needed almost 11 hour drive from here to Brussels, they thought that is 'max four hour drive' lol.

I've never flown in my life. Been to:
Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit(well a suburb), Chicago, indianapolis, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, NYC, buffalo, philly, Baltimore, DC, Raleigh, charlotte, Annapolis, and Virginia Beach tho. Takes awhile to get anywhere but it's not like there's a choice.
oh did you go by car then?

I know that my relatives from the States were quite baffled with the fact that I needed almost 11 hour drive from here to Brussels, they thought that is 'max four hour drive' lol.

yup, that's exactly what I meant

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

They must be from the east coast.

LA to San Diego is about two to three hours.

La to Vegas is 4.

LA to Austin is 20 hours.

From where you are, it's not surprising.

A Fish Aficionado

It's such a crap drive too. Fuck the 5 freeway. Well, at least the grapevine can get a little dicey.

Oh and you can always smell when you're driving by Harris Ranch. I actually stopped there once and dropped a deuce. It felt appropriate.

That's the smell of industry. Communist pinko.

Chuckie

I have a feeling that people sometimes underestimate the distances in Europe or even just in Germany.

Where in Germany do you live?

Also Germany is pretty big. Here in Holland its all smaller. 2 hours to Germany (the west) 2 hours or less to Belgium about 6 to France etc.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Fucking shit, we are having a fucking potluck. I have no clue what to make for this shit

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Yeah thats already a bit further. Its 4 hours away by car. Doable, but not just to say hi haha.

I would need almost 8 hours from here to trab's place. /Creepy EuroGAF mode off

What is a potluck?

A potluck is a gathering where each guest contributes a dish of food, often homemade, to be shared.
Genius idea - bake cookies.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I would need almost 8 hours from here to trab's place. /Creepy EuroGAF mode off

A potluck is a gathering where each guest contributes a dish of food, often homemade, to be shared.
See, as an American that doesn't sound bad. I am used to going on sometimes days long trips around the country for fun.

Chuckie

See, as an American that doesn't sound bad. I am used to going on sometimes days long trips around the country for fun.

Yeah but you got nice shit to see in America.

Also I dont have a drivers license so I have to go by train....which is 9 hours. Lea is awesome....but 9 hours? ;)

Misha

Banned

Also I dont have a drivers license so I have to go by train....which is 9 hours. Lea is awesome....but 9 hours? P;)
Unless you're traveling in the Midwest

Corn... corn... corn... corn...

West Virginia is super pretty tho. Just don't stop in the state. It lives up to its bad reputation

Also I dont have a drivers license so I have to go by train....which is 9 hours. Lea is awesome....but 9 hours? P;)

they're just bragging about how things are more far away for them ;p but some american posters have about the same distance I think and they also don't meet up :D

A Fish Aficionado

Also I dont have a drivers license so I have to go by train....which is 9 hours. Lea is awesome....but 9 hours? ;)
Not always. A fun drive us up the west coast, but if you are interstate; it's just boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom