• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anybody IRL who goes back and replays games once they've been set aside. I think, excepting collectors and retro enthusiasts, it's just not a big deal to most people. Without speaking into whether that's a good or bad thing, it almost certainly means nothing is going to be made of this. People like new and convenient.

I go back and play. I mean, it's the same concept as reading a book. That's the reason replay value is a thing. Not every game has it or even designs for it.

I'm pretty much always game master anyway

I figure one way to get people interested is to start with betrayal at house on the hill and when they inevitably love that go into rpgs since that's really the only thing that follows similar formulas. from my experience, the only reason why people are averse to it is stereotypes and such (I felt similarly at first tbh)
Use examples of how what happens depends on the group entirely

Some things that have happened in our group:
An entirely unplanned clown show to raise money
We made an airship crash into another airship while one of the party apologised and made out with someone (we put on Don't Wanna Miss A Thing while this happened)
Had a brief dating sim interlude
Utterly destroyed this one guy's life in ways so horrible I can't go into too much detail (it involved 8 pints of oil and a saddle)

Misha

Banned

We made an airship crash into another airship while one of the party apologised and made out with someone (we put on Don't Wanna Miss A Thing while this happened)
Utterly destroyed this one guy's life in ways so horrible I can't go into too much detail (it involved 8 pints of oil and a saddle)

I very much don't like when people start putting romance/sex into tabletop games. I think it alienates the other players too much and I think its too one sided to be enjoyable

usually regardless of the system I try to go for more investigative oriented campaigns. gives a good blend of roleplaying and combat and provides players a reason to keep moving forward and not get off track doing dumb stuff

body oil?

Jobbs

Banned
The marketing for NMS was out of control, and I'm sure that was mostly Sony.

I highly doubt Sony wrote the script for all of his BS, dude. Sean Murray is responsible for his words.

What happened with NMS was unique and there is basically nothing else to compare it to. It doesn't fall within expected hype/bs norms and that's why people are still talking about it and will talk about it for years to come.

FloatOn

I don't know anybody IRL who goes back and replays games once they've been set aside. I think, excepting collectors and retro enthusiasts, it's just not a big deal to most people. Without speaking into whether that's a good or bad thing, it almost certainly means nothing is going to be made of this. People like new and convenient.

Yeah unless it is an absolute favorite of mine it seems like a waste of time to go back and experience something average again. Too many new great things coming out for that.

I highly doubt Sony wrote the script for all of his BS, dude. Sean Murray is responsible for his words.

What happened with NMS was unique and there is basically nothing else to compare it to. It doesn't fall within expected hype/bs norms and that's why people are still talking about it and will talk about it for years to come.

Jobbs, finish your own game.

:p

I'm not saying Sean Murray is innocent in any of this, just that Sony gave him the platform for him to spout his BS.

It is a pretty fascinating situation though. Feel bad for the people that paid $60 and played for like 10 hours.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I hate people. Gonna spend the night and morning replaying The House in Fata Morgana to regain faith in humanity.
w9R193o.png

I still play NES and SNES games

But I dont really touch PS3 games outside of Skate 3

I just feel like nostalgia sometimes.

PS1 classics are great. Dont play many PS2 titles.

It was amazing

I very much don't like when people start putting romance/sex into tabletop games. I think it alienates the other players too much and I think its too one sided to be enjoyable

usually regardless of the system I try to go for more investigative oriented campaigns. gives a good blend of roleplaying and combat and provides players a reason to keep moving forward and not get off track doing dumb stuff

Oh the romance/sex stuff was entirely each of our choices, it wasn't something our GM put in. Just came up naturally.

body oil?
...yes

Xiao Hu

Will I ever witness a well written, extensive Elder Scrolls game again in my lifetime? Every time I return to Skryrim for a roleplay run itch I'm reminded how pathetic Bethesda's games have become after Fallout 3. There are indeed some really nice questlines but all in one you definitely notice a significant drop in quality. I don't expect Obsidian's level of story telling anymore but at least return to Oblivion's standards, please!

Misha

Banned
Oh the romance/sex stuff was entirely each of our choices, it wasn't something our GM put in. Just came up naturally.

that's usually how it comes up and that doesn't make it any better for me. I know people tend to say that the gm has to cater to the players but I would do my best to avoid such a situation. not a scenario I would remotely enjoy

why do you bother playing average games? :p

There's always an average. Even if you only play games with a 95% metacritic rating, you're going to like a few of them more than the others.

Yeah unless it is an absolute favorite of mine it seems like a waste of time to go back and experience something average again. Too many new great things coming out for that.

Seriously. I'm glad I had access to a MAME cabinet with a thousand ROMs as a girl but if I'd had Steam and YouTube at the time then there would have been no need.

when you suggest dinner at some restaurant and he wants to come over to play games and chill
w9R193o.png

I missed commenting on this earlier, but that actually sounds kind of nice. Am I wrong to assume that you'd talked to him enough beforehand to get a good sense of whether he'd be fun to hang out with? That seems like a prerequisite for going out to meet someone, but maybe there's a facet of this I'm oblivious to.

last time I played p'n'p I played some dude character and my first instinct was to hit on everyone I encountered. I'll admit it.

There's always an average. Even if you only play games with a 95% metacritic rating, you're going to like a few of them more than the others.

Seriously. I'm glad I had access to a MAME cabinet with a thousand ROMs as a girl but if I'd had Steam and YouTube at the time then there would have been no need.

I missed commenting on this earlier, but that actually sounds kind of nice. Am I wrong to assume that you'd talked to him enough beforehand to get a good sense of whether he'd be fun to hang out with? That seems like a prerequisite for going out to meet someone, but maybe there's a facet of this I'm oblivious to.
well "..." and chill usually means sex. I'm never going to get into that sauna guy trap again. watching adventure time my ass.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I go back and play. I mean, it's the same concept as reading a book. That's the reason replay value is a thing. Not every game has it or even designs for it.

Same. I can't count the number of times I've played through LttP or FF6. Hell, this year I replayed every 2D Metroid game again. If it something I conect with, I will replay it over and over. Something like Snatcher or Lost Odyssey or Eternal Darkness where I just love the Atmosphere and there is nothing like it, I will def go back to. And then there are fighters which I never stop playing like SF3TS. KoF98/2002 or VF5.

Now am I replaying an AssCreed or a rando shooter, nah.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I can easily go back to PSO on gamecube and spend hundreds of hours. That Sega magic back then tbh.

Same. I can't count the number of times I've played through LttP or FF6. Hell, this year I replayed every 2D Metroid game again. If it something I conect with, I will replay it over and over. Something like Snatcher or Lost Odyssey or Eternal Darkness where I just love the Atmosphere and there is nothing like it, I will def go back to. And then there are fighters which I never stop playing like SF3TS. KoF98/2002 or VF5.

Now am I replaying an AssCreed or a rando shooter, nah.

Replaying Costume Quest 2 tomorrow. Getting all dem sweet, sweet acheevos.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I've played some games countless times (Resident Evil 4/5, Mega Man X, Fire Emblem 7, Star Ocean 2) but I'd rather die than ever play through an Assassin's Creed game again. Some games have you coming back, some are one and done affairs.

Fighting games are obviously always fun to back to. You don't really "beat" those.

I've replayed games a lot growing up, when you only get 1-3 games a year you'll start replaying them over and over again

But as I got older I didn't replay much of them unless they were really good. Up until the Gamecube era though , anything after that I've just played it once and that's it

New game + isn't anything, I don't see why people love that so much, it's the same game

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Owning a lot of games vs. renting one game at a time and owning very few changed my gaming habits a lot, yeah. I probably played Donkey Kong Country 1/3 (never owned 2, only rented) a million times because they were some of the only games I had "on demand."

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
"Being vegan is easy. Are there social pressures that encourage you to continue to eat, wear, and use animal products? Of course there are. But in a patriarchal, racist, homophobic, and ableist society, there are social pressures to participate and engage in sexism, racism, homophobia, and ableism. At some point, you have to decide who you are and what matters morally to you. And once you decide that you regard victimizing vulnerable nonhumans is not morally acceptable, it is easy to go and stay vegan"

-Gary L. Francione

Food 4 thought

animals are also food

SolVanderlyn

"Being vegan is easy. Are there social pressures that encourage you to continue to eat, wear, and use animal products? Of course there are. But in a patriarchal, racist, homophobic, and ableist society, there are social pressures to participate and engage in sexism, racism, homophobia, and ableism. At some point, you have to decide who you are and what matters morally to you. And once you decide that you regard victimizing vulnerable nonhumans is not morally acceptable, it is easy to go and stay vegan"

-Gary L. Francione

Food 4 thought

animals are also food
18-28-01-da-apcail-animals-t-to-regular-where-2580668.png

I don't approve of pretending to be vegan to get sex obviously

FUME5

I'm at home because that sore throat proved to be a precursor to the flu that went round the office a few weeks ago.

That's alright, a little weed will dry out the sinuses.

Friday nights date seemed to go well but Sunday nights text remains unanswered.

Ah well, should have gone for the goodnight kiss and given her my germs.

Because bunnies are cute and fluffy? I know people that will throw a tantrum if you mention rabbit stew near them, it's kinda strange. It's a game animal, prefectly legit eating much like squirrel and turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom