• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misha

Banned
Mass Effect 1 was my favorite of the series. I preferred the more rpgness of it
Same tho I still need to finish 3. Might work on that tonight.

Also the overall atmosphere of 1 is better IMO.

Haven't got a chance to look into the andromeda stuff a ton yet but it sounds like it could be even better. Or worse. Idk.

Not enough has been said about how Dawn of War went Beast mode and pwnt Command and Conquer in a span of three games.

I want to re buy Command and Conquer 3 but goddamn it still sucks.

Mass Effect 1 was my favorite of the series. I preferred the more rpgness of it

Also, this could be Jobbs or trab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnKbiyTyTxs

I agree with ME1 being the best bc they gradually dumbed down every aspect of ME gameplay in the other games but the vid... ::rolls eyes so hard they fall onto the floor, suddenly realizes the vid has been right all along, grabs eyes, sticks them into mouth, chews the juicy eyeballs while gooey liquid streams down chin::

you're right, meat is awesome!

it would still make me throw up though. and milk products give me diarrhea now bc the human body isn't actually equipped with all the tools to handle this shit.

Most modern allergies are a consequence of our immune systems not realizing we live in a relative biological utopia thanks to medicine and hygiene. They still think we're at war. So it sees even the slightest unfamiliar thing and says hey that guy looks kinda funny, and he's not from around these parts, so let's lynch him.

Teach your body diversity early by feeding young babies "allergens" and you'll have a person with a progressive, accepting immune system. It's pretty similar to how you're supposed to introduce young dogs to other breeds of dog so it doesn't learn to fear them in its adulthood.

Our bodies are well equipped and specifically designed to eat meat. If you don't want to for personal or ethical reasons that's totally cool, but pretending it's natural is delusional.

Xiao Hu

I agree with ME1 being the best bc they gradually dumbed down every aspect of ME gameplay in the other games but the vid... ::rolls eyes so hard they fall onto the floor, suddenly realizes the vid has been right all along, grabs eyes, sticks them into mouth, chews the juicy eyeballs while gooey liquid streams down chin::

it would still make me throw up though. and milk products give me diarrhea now bc the human body isn't actually equipped with all the tools to handle this shit.

Eeeeeeh....what? o_O

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds

That's patently false.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.ed...=Evolution_of_lactase_persistence_an_exam.pdf

say what you want there's nothing we need from an animal's babymilk. our crazy consumption of milk products is causing a lot of diseases. also I'm not allergic, I used to consume those products but my body stopped accepting them as soon as I laid off, which never happened to me with other plantbased stuff - at least not to this extend.

also before anyone says anything, I didn't start this. I'm just reacting .

Cows have more stomachs than ppl to digest its milk. We arent equipped for that shit. You could take some lactose enzymes to help with that or just drink goats milk. They only have one stomach like us humans and their milk isnt the devil.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
say what you want there's nothing we need from an animal's babymilk. our crazy consumption of milk products is causing a lot of diseases. also I'm not allergic, I used to consume those products but my body stopped accepting them as soon as I laid off, which never happened to me with other plantbased stuff - at least not to this extend.

also before anyone says anything, I didn't start this. I'm just reacting .

I wasn't being serious at all about this. I joke, but your choices are your own <3

I more enjoyed the absurdity of this video, it was made by The Onion after all.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Cows have more stomachs than ppl to digest its milk. We arent equipped for that shit. You could take some lactose enzymes to help with that or just drink goats milk. They only have one stomach like us humans and their milk isnt the devil.
Uh, what? They have more stomachs because they eat grass and other hard to digest cellulose.

22b21b18-dc35-4092-bdc5-338f363e7540.png

Lactase persistence is an evolutionary advantage, developed in diverse human population pools.

Evolution of lactase persistence: an example of human niche construction

Uh, what? They have more stomachs because they eat grass and other hard to digest cellulose.

22b21b18-dc35-4092-bdc5-338f363e7540.png

Lactase persistence is an evolutionary advantage, developed in diverse human population pools.
Get out of here with your facts. How come I can drink goats milk fine but cows milk makes my stomach turn? Is it just my body not producing the enzymes naturally or something? Somebody told me the stomach thing and I just believed them because it sounded believable.

A Fish Aficionado

Get out of here with your facts. How come I can drink goats milk fine but cows milk makes my stomach turn? Is it just my body not producing the enzymes naturally or something? Somebody told me the stomach thing and I just believed them because it sounded believable.

Maybe it's a protein from cow's milk that isn't available in goat milk?

also they are built they way they are built so they can handle cow's milk as babies.
we're not. it's just something that we got used to over the years.

But certain populations continued to produce lactase after the weaning period so then "meant" is a relative term. For some it was almost ten thousand years ago, for other's it is closer to a thousand.

I'm talking about the biological, genetic basis, not as a moral one.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Homo sapiens are arguably the most adaptable species on the planet, a strength from advanced cognition and biology. We're defiant of core physiological and environmental processes to favour our own evolution and survivalism. In respect to diet, most people can comfortably consume and benefit from animal products on a nutritional level.

Need/natural is such a whimsical argument though, because we by nature make decisions and drastic lifestyle changes that are at odds with conventional naturalism. It's why despite making the choice to go vegetarian (inevitably vegan, but give me time) the arguments against animal products as "unnatural" are generally based in poor science. I don't buy them, as it implies my choice to not eat meat is somehow aligned with a biologically natural state that all of human society over centuries is conveniently in opposition with.

Ultimately, at least for me, it's a logical, ethical driven choice. I love the taste and complexities of meat, I can benefit nutritionally from meat, I enjoy the process of cooking meat, but I don't need meat. In order for me to eat meat, unless I choose to hunt my own game, I must concede to supporting the industrialization of animal slaughter. I oppose the objectively negative environmental impact of industrialisation, and ethically I oppose the objectively unnecessary suffering of a living creature in modern Western society. I don't feel any sense of superiority of betterness from the choice; I don't feel there are objective moral guidelines innate to complex beings like humans, and so if someone legitimately feels that animals exist to serve us as a source of food then even if I disagree that's just a point of contention. I'm also well aware of the complexity of society, industrialization, and simply existing in that hypocrisy is guaranteed as I am likely in some way, if abstractly, contributing to suffering (especially since I'm vego, not vegan yet), so I have no delusions there. But knowing that I can comfortably, affordably live my entire life with perfect health and nutritional benefit without a living creature suffering through choice, and that consuming meat/animal products is 100% a conscious decision, encourages me to cease supporting that which I morally/ethically oppose.

Thank you for reading my pointless train of consciousness that nobody asked for. Back to shitposting in Mass Effect threads.

Jobbs

Banned
Homo sapiens are arguably the most adaptable species on the planet, a strength from advanced cognition and biology. We're defiant of core physiological and environmental processes to favour our own evolution and survivalism. In respect to diet, most people can comfortably consume and benefit from animal products on a nutritional level.

Need/natural is such a whimsical argument though, because we by nature make decisions and drastic lifestyle changes that are at odds with conventional naturalism. It's why despite making the choice to go vegetarian (inevitably vegan, but give me time) the arguments against animal products as "unnatural" are generally based in poor science. I don't buy them, as it implies my choice to not eat meat is somehow aligned with a biologically natural state that all of human society over centuries is conveniently in opposition with.

Ultimately, at least for me, it's a logical, ethical driven choice. I love the taste and complexities of meat, I can benefit nutritionally from meat, I enjoy the process of cooking meat, but I don't need meat. In order for me to eat meat, unless I choose to hunt my own game, I must concede to supporting the industrialization of animal slaughter. I oppose the objectively negative environmental impact of industrialisation, and ethically I oppose the objectively unnecessary suffering of a living creature in modern Western society. I don't feel any sense of superiority of betterness from the choice; I don't feel there are objective moral guidelines innate to complex beings like humans, and so if someone legitimately feels that animals exist to serve us as a source of food then even if I disagree that's just a point of contention. I'm also well aware of the complexity of society, industrialization, and simply existing in that hypocrisy is guaranteed as I am likely in some way, if abstractly, contributing to suffering (especially since I'm vego, not vegan yet), so I have no delusions there. But knowing that I can comfortably, affordably live my entire life with perfect health and nutritional benefit without a living creature suffering through choice, and that consuming meat/animal products is 100% a conscious decision, encourages me to cease supporting that which I morally/ethically oppose.

Thank you for reading my pointless train of consciousness that nobody asked for. Back to shitposting in Mass Effect threads.

giphy.gif
100x

FUME5

We doing the vegetarian thing AGAIN?

EDIT

Ooh, the ME series is all backwards compatible on the Xbone? Time to finish the citadel DLC.

At some point.

jb1234

Marry me.

I agree that sometime during the stoneage or something animal resources were an advantage foodwise. but especially because we can make our own choices now, like you pointed out, if we truly NEED something or not still makes a huge argument.
we don't need to kill animals to survive any longer, we're not in a hunter-gatherer situation anymore. also pointing out that another specie's breastmilk simply wasn't designed to feed us is important too imo. it goes to show that we don't really need it either. cows definitely need cow's milk to survive and grow strong but even though we have adapted the concept to a certain extent we can gladly live without. it is true that we live in a world we created, are free to make our choices and even influence our further evolution along the way but simple biological facts like "breastmilk is for babies" are still relevant. if adults consume milk it is purely optional, even though society and dairy industry may try to tell you otherwise.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Would you go fishing and eat your fish you caught? I guess that counts as hunting.

I used to, and I enjoy it, but I don't because it's still unnecessary. There is zero necessity for me to kill an animal and eat it. I'm a Westerner; completely domesticated within the borderline infallible comfort blanket of modern society, where survivalism amounts to little more than walking out of my door. I live in a society with an abundance of foodstuffs sourced from all over the world, alongside supplements and other goods that 100% guarantee access to among the greatest nutritional, ingredient, and flavor diversity of any human being that has ever existed. I simply don't need to hunt and doing so remains a choice, even if it's one I'm significantly more supportive of over industrialization of animal slaughter.

I have a lot of respect for people disagree with the moral implications of animal suffering/slaughter versus nutritional necessity and choose to eat meat, but also reject industrialization and hunt their own game. At least they're taking ownership of their choices.

I agree that sometime during the stoneage or something animal resources were an advantage foodwise. but especially because we can make our own choices now, like you pointed out, if we truly NEED something or not still makes a huge argument.
we don't need to kill animals to survive any longer, we're not in a hunter-gatherer situation anymore. also pointing out that another specie's breastmilk simply wasn't designed to feed us is important too imo. it goes to show that we don't really need it either. cows definitely need cow's milk to survive and grow strong but even though we have adapted the concept to a certain extent we can gladly live without. it is true that we live in a world we created, are free to make our choices and even influence our further evolution along the way but simple biological facts like "breastmilk is for babies" are still relevant. if adults consume milk it is purely optional, even though society and dairy industry may try to tell you otherwise.

I agree with this, I just don't gravitate strongly towards the argument of nutritional redundancy and the choices people in an objectively measurable sense. Or, for a more nihilistic perspective; it doesn't really matter if people choose to drink milk, eat cheese, chomp on a steak, or whatever else even if we technically have surpassed a hunter-gathering social structure. A person can consume meat/dairy and not be of any lesser health than someone who does not, so the reasoning doesn't motivate me.

What does motivate me is the ethical conundrum of the suffering and slaughter. I'm more interested in that argument of necessity, which does tie back to the nutritional necessity too.
I do definitely agree with the smear campaign of misinformation regarding meat/animal products though. Like even here, when the discussion of diet/nutrition in particular vegan/vegetarianism comes it it's such a thing because it's awesome a nonsense argument bloated with insecurities and moral highgrounds (not accusing anyone here of doing that, more the abstraction of these kinds of discussion everywhere). It shouldn't be a taboo. It shouldn't even be an argument. It's just a thing to talk about. Discourse is healthy, and if we can segue from sex toys into veganism into which Mass Effect is best without anybody throwing a tanty then I think we're on the right track.

A Fish Aficionado

I agree.

Milk has to be one of the most industry pushed products with government approval. Especially, when much of it is marketed to parents and children.

Especially chocolate milk. I also treat non dairy flavored milk the same way. They are treats not staples.

I used to, and I enjoy it, but I don't because it's still unnecessary. There is zero necessity for me to kill an animal and eat it. I'm a Westerner; completely domesticated within the borderline infallible comfort blanket of modern society, where survivalism amounts to little more than walking out of my door. I live in a society with an abundance of foodstuffs sourced from all over the world, alongside supplements and other goods that 100% guarantee access to among the greatest nutritional, ingredient, and flavor diversity of any human being that has ever existed. I simply don't need to hunt and doing so remains a choice, even if it's one I'm significantly more supportive of over industrialization of animal slaughter.

I have a lot of respect for people disagree with the moral implications of animal suffering/slaughter versus nutritional necessity and choose to eat meat, but also reject industrialization and hunt their own game. At least they're taking ownership of their choices.

I agree with this, I just don't gravitate strongly towards the argument of nutritional redundancy and the choices people in an objectively measurable sense. Or, for a more nihilistic perspective; it doesn't really matter if people choose to drink milk, eat cheese, chomp on a steak, or whatever else even if we technically have surpassed a hunter-gathering social structure. A person can consume meat/dairy and not be of any lesser health than someone who does not, so the reasoning doesn't motivate me.

What does motivate me is the ethical conundrum of the suffering and slaughter. I'm more interested in that argument of necessity, which does tie back to the nutritional necessity too.
I do definitely agree with the smear campaign of misinformation regarding meat/animal products though. Like even here, when the discussion of diet/nutrition in particular vegan/vegetarianism comes it it's such a thing because it's awesome a nonsense argument bloated with insecurities and moral highgrounds (not accusing anyone here of doing that, more the abstraction of these kinds of discussion everywhere). It shouldn't be a taboo. It shouldn't even be an argument. It's just a thing to talk about. Discourse is healthy, and if we can segue from sex toys into veganism into which Mass Effect is best without anybody throwing a tanty then I think we're on the right track.

I know we're on the same page here anyway but I still think that the way we consume meat today has led to stuff like heart attacks, obesity, etc. so just in this case the simple fact we are not active hunters/gatherers anymore but still consume all this stuff kinda matters. but anway let's suck on this

giphy.gif

I got mad respect for people that dont eat meat. Especially when its from a moral standpoint. I make a tiny effort to buy my meat from local farms and shit. Its a more sustainable practise than buying the mass produced shit at wallmart. I do eat a fast food burger here and there but dont usually feel too good about it. I dont think I could ever give up eating meat.

Jobbs

Banned
Ahem

&#128226; testing &#128226;

&#128226; &#128226; &#128226; DO THEY HAVE ANY GOOD VEGAN OPTIONS HERE? &#128226; &#128226; &#128226;

&#128226; &#128226; &#128226; &#128226; &#128226; I'M VEGAN BY THE WAY &#128226; &#128226; &#128226; &#128226; &#128226; &#128226;

jb1234

I don't eat a lot of meat (but mostly because of its price). I also don't like seafood, which greatly limits my options.

FUME5

I want to know how trab has managed to avoid dropping her phone in the bath taking these instagram pics.

Ahem

&#55357;&#56546; testing &#55357;&#56546;

&#55357;&#56546; &#55357;&#56546; &#55357;&#56546; DO THEY HAVE ANY GOOD VEGAN OPTIONS HERE? &#55357;&#56546; &#55357;&#56546; &#55357;&#56546;

&#55357;&#56546; &#55357;&#56546; &#55357;&#56546; &#55357;&#56546; &#55357;&#56546; I'M VEGAN BY THE WAY &#55357;&#56546; &#55357;&#56546; &#55357;&#56546; &#55357;&#56546; &#55357;&#56546; &#55357;&#56546;

Sir, this is a butcher shop.

I just ruined the rough equivalent to a months salary worth of merchandise. That's not even taking into account the manhours we'll spend reprinting everything I did wrong!. Probably the worst I've ever fucked up at my job. Anyone else have fun stories of astounding personal failure? :D

EatChildren

I know we're on the same page here anyway but I still think that the way we consume meat today has led to stuff like heart attacks, obesity, etc. so just in this case the simple fact we are not active hunters/gatherers anymore but still consume all this stuff kinda matters. but anway let's suck on this

giphy.gif

I totally agree it matters, especially for health reasons, but I guess I just don't lean too heavily on those arguments for myself given the hypocrisy of so much unhealthy living I/we tend to do anyway. We shouldn't drink, smoke, eat abundance of sweets and other processed goods. We should be more careful with sun. Passive inhalation of fumes. There's a lot of things I could/should change in my life to reduce intake of inherently unhealthy chemicals and substances, but I don't, so I feel a bit preachy if I leverage health reasons for choosing not to consume animal products.

I also agree with the Nicole Richie fake teet suckling.

I just saw your latest with the Dr Pepper can and thought you might be flying a little too close to the sun.
The thing is I always take my phone with me to browse GAF or some shit anyway so the chance of dropping it is even higher than you know and I still stand undefeated

@lili I feel like i fuck shit up at work constantly. but mostly just a lot of small stuff

FUME5

I just ruined the rough equivalent to a months salary worth of merchandise. That's not even taking into account the manhours we'll spend reprinting everything I did wrong!. Probably the worst I've ever fucked up at my job. Anyone else have fun stories of astounding personal failure? :D

Ouch, how'd you manage that?

Hmm, quite a few fuck ups, the most expensive one wasn't entirely my fault. I was overseeing and validating excavation works at an operational petrol station, pulling a few old tanks and excavating around some live ones (a very fucking stressful procedure) that took a few weeks. Prior to the works commencing I'd met with all owners and stakeholders and outlined what we were doing, exactly which tanks would be removed etc...

I had a Doctors appointment one day so my colleague took over for a few hours one morning. He decided to have a poke around because there wasn't much to do, he's looked at a fill point, had another look around and called me about it. Turns out one of the tanks I'd thought was still operational was actually out of service and needed to come out. Problem was I'd already pulled the other two tanks there and had re concreted over that tank while I moved on to another part of the site. So, I had to get the concrete cut, pull the tank and then have it concreted again - cost about $10 grand and a significant degree of personal embarrassment.

Thankfully, like I said I'd quite clearly communicated what was to be done and neither the owner or the operators said anything about the tank or actually knew it was out of service - still, an expensive fuck up (that I charged them for anyway).

The thing is I always take my phone with me to browse GAF or some shit anyway so the chance of dropping it is even higher than you know and I still stand undefeated

We can trust you to keep a firm hand on the tiller then.

@lili I feel like i fuck shit up at work constantly. but mostly just a lot of small stuff
Yeah I make small, one-off errors all the time. But this time I printed the wrong size on a whole stack of onesies. They were supposed to be 6-12months instead of 0-6months. In my defense, the factory size is simply "6 months" so it's an easy mistake. I just caught it way too late.

Yeah I make small, one-off errors all the time. But this time I printed the wrong size on a whole stack of onesies. They were supposed to be 6-12months instead of 0-6months. In my defense, the factory size is simply "6 months" so it's an easy mistake. I just caught it way too late.
I hate this feeling once you realize you fucked up &#128556;It's like cold sweaty anxiety all over

One time when I did concrete finishing I had come into work on a hot summer day hung over as fuck. We poured a massive floor in a new rich subdivision and my friend and I who had been partying with me were left to finish the floor. As soon as my boss left I was like "yo man I'm taking a quick nap before we do the first run on the floor."

So I set up the wheelbarrow for a quick nap. I woke up and my buddy was napping right next to me and I was like oh god. I ran over to the floor and it was rock fucking hard, completely fucked. We slept for like 3 hours. Had to jackhammer that entire floor out.

FUME5

One time when I did concrete finishing I had come into work on a hot summer day hung over as fuck. We poured a massive floor in a new rich subdivision and my friend and I who had been partying with me were left to finish the floor. As soon as my boss left I was like "yo man I'm taking a quick nap before we do the first run on the floor."

So I set up the wheelbarrow for a quick nap. I woke up and my buddy was napping right next to me and I was like oh god. I ran over to the floor and it was rock fucking hard, completely fucked. We slept for like 3 hours. Had to jackhammer that entire floor out.

Damn. About a decade ago (before we switched to using oxygen releasing chemicals) we used to use chicken shit in the base of excavations with contaminated soil to help remediate - it encourages microbial activity which then breaks down the petroleum hydrocarbons. Anyway, had to work on a Saturday and I was hungover as fuck, at the base of a 3 m deep excavation, 40 degree heat spreading chicken shit all over the place. Had to throw up in the base of the pit a few times that morning.

Foxix Von

Last week I was helping rewire phone connections as part of some remodeling work. We were one number off and accidentally punched down the wrong number. That number was the IT help desk line. There was a significant period of time where no one was able to get a hold of us for assistance.

Also, I got fired from my last job because I accidentally brought a server down. It either crashed or when I applied an update I accidentally selected the wrong "restart later" option because the connection to the server was laggy as all sheeeeeiiiit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom