• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misha

Banned
I don't know. I lost hope in life a long time ago so all this Trump shit mostly just has me shrugging. What makes me deeply sad is that so many people I care about are now just as miserable as I am.

(Not that it's a contest.)

Having grown up in a super red rural area, I think it doesn't bother me as much since this is about what I've always expected out of these people. Only recently did I gain hope but now its lost in the disappointment.

Clydefrog

I had a dream that I hit four home intruders with a pitching wedge. I grabbed their guns, carried their unconscious bodies out to the front yard and called 911. Then I had a heart attack from the sudden fame and glided away as a ghost.

jb1234

Having grown up in a super red rural area, I think it doesn't bother me as much since this is about what I've always expected out of these people. Only recently did I gain hope but now its lost in the disappointment.

Yeah, I come from a small town environment as well. Not a place you want to be openly gay in, let's just say (although I've heard it's gotten better). The only thing I can hope is that people realize the mistake they've made as shit hits the fan but I dunno. Humans are really very good at refusing to own up to their actions.

Misha

Banned
Yeah, I come from a small town environment as well. Not a place you want to be openly gay in, let's just say (although I've heard it's gotten better). The only thing I can hope is that people realize the mistake they've made as shit hits the fan but I dunno. Humans are really very good at refusing to own up to their actions.

We got this far from them believing completely ridiculous propaganda (the most obvious being the hitjob on Hillary). I don't see them changing. Its just a matter of excitement swinging in a future election to change the balance of power since they aren't willing to help themselves cause they rather spite others

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Got a cute match on Tinder and shes like "do you like jokes?" And I'm like "no" then she unmatched me. Pffft. Cant take a joke.
This is actually really funny

AcridMeat

Banned
Yeah, it was today that I really realized again we had 8 years of Bush before this reasonable beacon for 8 years. We just reverted again.

I listened to This American Life for the first time in years and it didn't help with the miserable feeling.

Chuckie

That's retarded. I get annoyed with all those "she's so beautiful" posts that vapid people post on fb. No she isn't. She looks like she went outside at the end of Total Recall

I am crying.

zGO5B3b.gif

That does not seem to be a fuckboy.

The girl is handling the cringe pretty well I got to say.

Jobbs

Banned
... Why does this exist tho?

No idea. I think it's harmful and awkward to affirm this boy's notion that because he thinks a girl is pretty suddenly she'll notice him if he makes some bizarre gesture -- as opposed to just being an appealing person in general. And to that end they shoulda gotten him a makeover, offered some good advice (which may include "sometimes a girl just isn't into you"), and forgotten about the dance and the berries... But then I guess the commercial doesn't quite work

Jobbs

Banned
A cute girl on tinder is probably managing 8,000 matches at any given time and is unlikely to sit around and figure out what a guy really means if his first response seems curt or abrasive to her. Just FYI

A cute girl on tinder is probably managing 8,000 matches at any given time and is unlikely to sit around and figure out what a guy really means if his first response seems curt or abrasive to her. Just FYI
IDGAF

Really tho. Who doesnt like jokes? What kind of question is that? Did I ruin her joke? I really dont care though I thought it was funny.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I keep wishing I accepted that girl's friend request before she took it back. Maybe it was an accident but I have never seen a more attractive person outside of Hollywood.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I would have replied the same way and then unmatched. Let that be a lesson to her.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

Sometimes I forget you're a cute girl

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
(real talk i would have also said "no" because it's a boring question and that answer amuses me, leverage that as a platform to present a silly variation of myself that hates jokes, turning itself into a joke, before finally asking her what the joke is and if her response would be to delete me then that's her boring call, and not compatible with a dry sense of humour, so i've lost nothing)

FUME5

Considering it seems she has no sense of humour, she was probably just going to copy some shit off one of those fake Tinder conversations on imgur.

Get you that beauty sleep for the next one.

Jobbs

Banned
No, YOU guys are being boring, not her, she actually initiated something and you gave an oblique one word response that is easily read as negative (quite literally). That is boring, so maybe I wasn't stating the obvious after all.

But, yes, keep grunting one word responses to questions before any introduction or rapport is established and assume the other person is boring and not you. Good luck!

SolVanderlyn

No, YOU guys are being boring, not her, she actually initiated something and you gave an oblique one word response that is easily read as negative (quite literally). That is boring, so maybe I wasn't stating the obvious after all.

But, yes, keep grunting one word responses to questions before any introduction or rapport is established and assume the other person is boring and not you. Good luck!
I thought it was funny

FUME5

Was that actually you catfishing?

So what was the joke?

Shes got 8000 matches tho so I'm sure its no loss for her.

Ok maybe instead of saying no I could have put more thought into it and wrote out a big long paragraph about how I think jokes are ruining humanity or something.

I still like the no answer tho.

EatChildren

I detailed that my response would be more than one word and I'd leverage the situation to make an absurdist joke from said response as a means of engaging with her and demonstrate my own personality and sense of humour. If she responds unfavourably to that, which she is more than entitled to, then I consider her a bit boring and thus nothing lost. That is me introducing myself, developing rapport, while probing as to the other person's personality type related to humour.

So what was the joke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkG4oIPT7tU

I was expecting at least a ??? Or something to respond with a JK or something. It was pretty instant. I do look like an asshole though so I'm sure it just solidified her presumptions about me.

Jobbs

Banned
I detailed that my response would be more than one word and I'd leverage the situation to make an absurdist joke from said response as a means of engaging with her and demonstrate my own personality and sense of humour. If she responds unfavourably to that, which she is more than entitled to, then I consider her a bit boring and thus nothing lost. That is me introducing myself, developing rapport, while probing as to the other person's personality type related to humour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkG4oIPT7tU

So you're going to pretend to be a guy who doesn't like jokes? Isn't that the same end result? I've never even used Tinder but I can't imagine being weird or overly subtle is really a good strategy on your first text interaction. I would think most people would prefer that this phase be much more direct. If a lot can be lost to misinterpretation then you lessen your chances of meeting someone who may actually be really cool.

I told the last girl that her hairless cat looks like a giant ball sack to start the conversation. I dated her for like a month. She was a solid 9.

SolVanderlyn

If someone unmatched me based on something so inanely trivial I'd be thankful

Jobbs

Banned
If someone unmatched me based on something so inanely trivial I'd be thankful

Thankful? Unless you have a long line of matches and need to cull the herd down, why blow up your own chances just so you can be weird and obtuse to a stranger just to see if she's willing to put up with you being weird and obtuse? I'm not saying all guys are weirdos, but women on Tinder are probably dealing with a lot of guys being weirdos so it's going to be in your interest to right away come off as direct, pleasant, and cordial.

Foxix Von

Date went well tonight. Not sure if I'm super interested in her or if there's much chemistry yet. But I got a very adorable peck on the lips and a second date out of it so, you know what. Mission accomplished.

EatChildren

've never even used Tinder but I can't imagine being weird or overly subtle is really a good strategy on your first text interaction. I would think most people would prefer that this phase be much more direct.

For some people, sure. For others, no. I've had plenty of absurd and amusing opening lines from others that immediately gravitated me towards conversation as the person had presented themselves as quirky and fun. It's not a job interview and if it's to be treated as such then I'm not really interested in participating. The spectrum of people and personalities is vast and interacting with others is not limited to social network. I don't need Tinder exclusively and if the way I present myself, which is obviously a delicate balance between of extremes, costs me interaction with a person that I might otherwise have found interesting later on then that is a loss I am willing to take. Social networking, especially dating/mingling related with romantic intent, goes both ways. I don't want to scare them off, and I want to engage with them, but they in equal measure must do the same.

If someone asks me "do you like jokes", and I make in response a silly, inoffensive joke with an effort to engage and humour them, and their response to scoff in return and/or delete me, then they can take the title of boring, dull, and uninteresting. It's not like I'm launching into a tirade of dead baby jokes and heated political discussion; I'm trying to connect with another person in an open, free, inoffensive conversation.

It's entirely possible to be direct, pleasant, and cordial while still demonstrating a more complex, enjoyable personality that doesn't resort to rudimentary, textbook social interaction. Maybe it's a cultural thing? Maybe it's a personality type? I fully understand the logic of not burning bridges and keeping your options open, especially when women generally have a larger quantity of matches than men, but I don't think you're giving people enough credit to enjoy and respond positively to these kinds of conversations and the purpose of romantic social networking. I'm not rolling in matches by any stretch of the imagination. I wan't to get to know people, and I want them to know me. From my experience bubbly, amusing conversation openers from either party do a far better job of engaging and exciting the other. It shows personality and self awareness, and generally a bit of wit. People like to have fun and be around other fun, interesting people.

EDIT: I will concede that it could be a cultural/personality type thing. Australians are generally pretty dry and sarcastic, notorious for silliness and forging humour from more or less anything. Additionally, my social circle for most of my life has operated along these social norms.

Spoilered for personal reasons

Waiting for this apartment complex for disabled people called Park Hills to call me back has been a massive bitch for my sanity and massive time sink just killing time until they called. I want to get out of this house and not have to listen to my dad's diet racism anymore. Everything this place does, goes through HUD, so it takes forever. I'd hook my Wii U but I don't wanna go through the moving boxes in my room again. This is like the worst case scenario times two. Good christ, I could punch someone in the mouth right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom