• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
I find the Assassin's Creed and Farcry open world designs incredibly frustrating. They are visually well done and there is indeed a lot of freedom, but for what? There's never any stakes. Watch Dogs I don't hate quite as much because it's fun just fucking around and blowing up cars, but even in that game you could easily access the game's entire arsenal right at the start. Why explore if there's nothing cool to find?

Say what you want about Bethesda games, but they're full of items and stats and gear and characters and monsters and things to find and do. If you go exploring in Farcry you might find another dude with a gun who looks like every other dude with a gun, or maybe you'll find pointless collectible type 13 or whatever. It just never feels like anything matters and it all blends together.

FloatOn

Most of those aren't modern. They're franchises riding on the coattails of their success in the previous generation.

Games I'd consider "modern" are games like Witcher 3, indies, Wolfenstein TNO, DOOM, inFamous Second Son, etc. Some are sequels but they all feel like new material, not yearly iterations. I think Uncharted 4 is an exception from that list as it changed up the formula quite a bit to be more like TLoU, so it felt new.

I could just have no idea what I'm talking about as I also haven't played most of those. CoD, BF, GoW all look like the same old stuff with a new coat of paint. Gears and Halo I actually want to play, but, you know... no XBox and all.

The previous gen is still modern to me. I think that's when I began to disconnect from the average video game fan.

I'm hoping the new Nintendo console will make me feel something for the hobby I grew up on.

Timu

41750 words in 17 days, holy shit I never did that awesome at Nano before, I'm killing it this year!!! 50k coming next week, in past Nanos 50k would be like a day or so before the month ends.

I can finally get back to making more youtube vids after this.

jb1234

I'm so out of touch with modern games.

Franchises I don't give a shit about:

Halo
Gears
Asscreed
CoD
Battlefield
Uncharted
God of War
Anime games in general

Etc etc

I like Uncharted (sorta) and still get a kick out of JRPGs (the good ones, at least) but I'll agree with everything else on your list. I'm just not much of an AAA gamer in general, although I'll play a few every now and again.

The only AAA franchise I really like is Uncharted and even then, I'm not crazy about it. I think platformers are my favorite but I try and play as many genres as possible. Although since Overwatch released it's kinda been all I play :S

FUME5

If you end up rapping make sure someone records.

Nah, but my mate just bought a condenser mic and upgraded his laptop and pro tools so I'll have to start putting in some effort in the near future.

Don't think I'll tell her I used to be a battle MC just yet either.

15151362_10208865418126779_503105628_n.jpg

Misha

Banned
Idk id anyone ever played small world but I just had a dominant game where I crushed the 2nd place player by 21 points. Mounted trolls are pretty strong on turn 1. Takes land fast and immediately digs in

AcridMeat

Banned
Finished the First AC, quit the second about 2/3rds of the way through, didn't touch it again until the pirate one (or maybe played brotherhood for a little bit? they all blend together), quit that about 10 hours in 'cause it was the same old shit.

Far too much hand holding and unsatisfying mechanics undo all their good work when it comes to environmental modelling.
I never finished Brotherhood, but I loved Assassin's Creed 2 (but I liked most of what I saw out of the first game).

That combat just did not evolve at all though, the gadgets they kept adding didn't help. Completely turned me off.
Idk id anyone ever played small world but I just had a dominant game where I crushed the 2nd place player by 21 points. Mounted trolls are pretty strong on turn 1. Takes land fast and immediately digs in
Yesss, it's been a long time though. I have the digital one on Steam if you feel like playing sometime.

Also I really like Sombra, she's the one genji 1v1 counter I can consistently rely on.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so out of touch with modern games.

Franchises I don't give a shit about:

Halo
Gears
Asscreed
CoD
Battlefield
Uncharted
God of War
Anime games in general

Etc etc
I.. I can completely agree with this list. Huh. Might also add GTA tho.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
mr.-t-tears-crying.gif

Halo 2, 3 and Reach were amazing, and anyone who disagrees didn't have friends to play with.

FUME5

I've got a little over 2500 Halo 2 matches logged.

It came out about a year after I fucked my back and my life was kinda in limbo at the time.

EDIT

Or is it 4500?

My excuse is I just got blazed EDIT

4355 according to waypoint.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I am cat sitting next weekend and am very excited about this.

Xiao Hu

You're talking about Tasmania.
God fucking no! Only dickheads and utter cunts live there. I'm talking about lush green forests and snow in winter and less deadly insects and sneks. Like a Canada of the southern hemisphere

I find the Assassin's Creed and Farcry open world designs incredibly frustrating. They are visually well done and there is indeed a lot of freedom, but for what? There's never any stakes. Watch Dogs I don't hate quite as much because it's fun just fucking around and blowing up cars, but even in that game you could easily access the game's entire arsenal right at the start. Why explore if there's nothing cool to find?

Say what you want about Bethesda games, but they're full of items and stats and gear and characters and monsters and things to find and do. If you go exploring in Farcry you might find another dude with a gun who looks like every other dude with a gun, or maybe you'll find pointless collectible type 13 or whatever. It just never feels like anything matters and it all blends together.

This. Far Cry's open world always feel so incredibly dead and void of any story telling/immersion. What's the point of making the a big world space if there is barely anything to do? The shooter mechanics behind Far Cry wouldn't suffer at all if the next game would be made into a corridor shooter or if Ubisoft tackled a hub world approach. Either that or make the series finally a sandbox.

Clydefrog

eXHVc6S.png

Welcomeow to Cat Shop. What can I get for you?

"Yeah, I'd like two fluffballs and a piece of string."

Okay, one second please.

iSNh1Q2.png

I can't move.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Our kitten was declared missing from early morning

looks like it went exploring the surroundings, because she arrived back 20 minutes ago totally starved and wet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom