• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Little Mons†er;225712013 said:
Which game for Christmas?

FF15 or The Last Guardian?

I'll be content with either, just need opinions to make up my mind lol

TLG

Those games only come around every 10 years

Nerdkiller

Membeur
320836.gif

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
XV is really good. But TLG is so unique.

If you wait, you'll probably be able to get XV cheap in 6 months, but TLG probably won't go down in price.

Also, I saw that Call of Duty comes with a free DS4 now, lol.

Bomba of all bombas.

Shadow of the Colossus was an ugly, buggy mess with barely any content. But I'm sure its sequel being in development hell, put on ice twice, getting ported to a new system and all that will improve its odds. I'm sure the people who've described its controls as archaic and frustrating just needed more than an hour to adjust. Can we even trust modern journalists? They're always giving good scores to games like Uncharted.

Shadow of the Colossus was an ugly, buggy mess with barely any content. But I'm sure its sequel being in development hell, put on ice twice, getting ported to a new system and all that will improve its odds. I'm sure the people who've described its controls as archaic and frustrating just needed more than an hour to adjust. Can we even trust modern journalists? They're always giving good scores to games like Uncharted.

woah...

Jobbs

Banned
haha

I liked SOTC but it's also been a really long time since I've played it. I don't really care what "journalists" say about games, reviews are almost completely pointless due to how subjective these experiences are. I'll get TLG and form my own opinion, thx

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I own it and I didnt touch it thanks to Ico not keeping me interested. Hearing this doesnt surprise me.

Jobbs

Banned
I look at the games that got the absolute highest review scores -- Like MGS4 with its 10/10 at IGN -- And they're almost always games I don't like. Reviews just barely have any utility.

Ceallach

I look at the games that got the absolute highest review scores -- Like MGS4 with its 10/10 at IGN -- And they're almost always games I don't like. Reviews just barely have any utility.
Same.

And games journalism is a joke. They are so in bed with the fucking publishers and there is no real criticism. The amount of perfect scores given out is stupid. Nothing is ever really analyzed.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Also game journalism can suck it. I have more fun from the average or poorly rated jrpgs and action games than Uncharted most Western RPGs and Bethesda RPGs take the fucking cake in I dont get why those shits get rated so high when they are shitty as fuck

Jobbs

Banned
Same.

And games journalism is a joke. They are so in bed with the fucking publishers and there is no real criticism. The amount of perfect scores given out is stupid. Nothing is ever really analyzed.

Bioshock Infinite with a 94 on metacritic? SMDH. The game was absolutely *horrible*. Like I'd give it a 4/10 if I reviewed it and had to assign a score. Maybe lower. I hated it. Boring, unexciting FPS with a terrible, nauseatingly stupid story.

The only utility reviews have is identifying truly abysmal or broken games. Anything else is too subjective.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
People in gaming side always put up long development times as a death sentence because of expectation.

I genuinely believe that is a criticism of the consumer, not the game. In the sense that if HL3 is ever released, I wont measure the game's merit as quality/time. I would rather do some self assessment and conclude the solar system doesn't revolve around my ass.

Misha

Banned
You can't honestly believe this. Hundreds if not thousands of people would be complicit in this scam and not one of them speaks up about it? Yeah okay.
There have been reviewers that mentioned harsh reviews could affect their relationship with the company tho.

Though I'm sure varied tastes cause different reviews more than anything (and stuff like limited amount of time to review it)

Risgroo

So how about some games that weren't received well that you actually do like? That's much more fun :)

I have a weird thing for Star Wars Bounty Hunter on the Gamecube, hah. Still play through that game every now and then.

Misha

Banned
So how about some games that weren't received well that you actually do like? That's much more fun :)

I have a weird thing for Star Wars Bounty Hunter on the Gamecube, hah. Still play through that game every now and then.
Star Wars bounty hunter was fun.

Makes zam wessel have something behind her too

You can't honestly believe this. Hundreds if not thousands of people would be complicit in this scam and not one of them speaks up about it? Yeah okay.

Reviewers getting goodies in exchange for good scores has been a thing for quite a number of years, and a few people have spoken about it. People don't give a damn because gaming journalism is largely a cesspool.

There have been reviewers that mentioned harsh reviews could affect their relationship with the company tho.

Though I'm sure varied tastes cause different reviews more than anything (and stuff like limited amount of time to review it)

Reviewers getting goodies in exchange for good scores has been a thing for quite a number of years, and a few people have spoken about it. People don't give a damn because gaming journalism is largely a cesspool.

There's a huge difference between this and "only care about what the developer gives you". It's quite possible and incredibly common to both like a game and appreciate the developer doing something special for you.

Here's what actually happens. Company X wants to review Y game. Company X knows that employee A is more inclined to like Y than employee B will. A reviews Y well. B's less friendly and less relevant review goes unposted. Ta-da.

I haven't gotten mushy love notes in a long time... a long time

I ran out of paper.

So is anal probing! 😍
Eh it is kinda known? Not saying every single review has been bribed into existence but with big companies/titles there's definitely some dependency going on

Jobbs

Banned
I don't think reviewing is pure but I doubt there's outright bribing going on. I'm not sure what all has changed, but my memory of it was a lot of young people who wanted to work in the games industry/PR rubbing elbows adn going to parties with people from the games industry and PR.

As a reviewer for IGN I was pressured to change scores several times or change the way I described things --- seeing behind the curtain revealed a lot of silly bullshit -- but, again, this was like around the year 2000 and things could be different now

I ran out of paper.

It's okay 🐴

Ceallach

Yeah, it's well documented. The Kane & Lynch scandal from a few years ago. As well as outlets like Destructoid who no longer recieve review copies for giving reviews that were out of line from what they wanted (and got everywhere else).

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Well, believe what you wish, but I know what I am talking about, been working on console web page as a hobby for almost 16 years and even we received 'friendly tips' about certain reviews (which we ignored and lost distributor support). I used a word 'a lot', which does not mean that every reviewer is a crooked bastard. But there are nice ways to 'buy' a score if both sides will comply. (Jobbs can get me a nurse or two for a night and I will give his game 10/10 with ease :p )

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

In most cases they just buy them on their own.

YouTube and streamers on the other hand, was pretty much a free for all until the FTC came down on them.

Some people have no integrity or ethics and become dr Oz

There's a huge difference between this and "only care about what the developer gives you". It's quite possible and incredibly common to both like a game and appreciate the developer doing something special for you.

Here's what actually happens. Company X wants to review Y game. Company X knows that employee A is more inclined to like Y than employee B will. A reviews Y well. B's less friendly and less relevant review goes unposted. Ta-da.

I don't recall saying all reviews are like that, just that it is a thing that happens.

Jobbs

Banned
Well, believe what you wish, but I know what I am talking about, been working on console web page as a hobby for almost 16 years. I used a word 'a lot', which does not mean that every reviewer is a crooked bastard. But there are nice ways to 'buy' a score if both sides will comply. (Jobbs can get me a nurse or two for a night and I will give his game 10/10 with ease :p )

I don't have access to nurses anymore :(

But yes, reviewing is all kinds of bullshit. I would advise not listening to reviews unless you know a lot about the reviewer and understand how to contextualize their opinion.

Misha

Banned
In most cases they just buy them on their own.

YouTube and streamers on the other hand, was pretty much a free for all until the FTC came down on them.

Some people have no integrity or ethics and become dr Oz
There's way more to it than just buying the thing to review. It's more that the site or whatever wants to get quotes and interviews and run exclusive articles on companies and stuff and companies can hold that over their head to influence reviews

That sort of thing definitely happens in the NHL. There was a lot of emails that got out last year from a law suit and you could see exactly how the journalists would interact with the league and teams. The journalists used their own leverage also but generally a lot of it left a bad taste in people's mouths about even the more respected journalists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom