• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the mood to get yelled at again.

There's a small Twitter storm brewing where this girl is upset that this website is selling shirts with her artwork on them, without permission nor payment. But! It's not just original artwork. It's Pharah (Overwatch) fan art. So if anyone should be mad, shouldn't it be Blizzard? I feel like if your whole shtick is "take someone else' IP and put your own spin on it", then you don't get to be mad when someone turns around and does the same to you.

FUME5

There's a small Twitter storm brewing where this girl is upset that this website is selling shirts with her artwork on them, without permission nor payment. But! It's not just original artwork. It's Pharah (Overwatch) fan art. So if anyone should be mad, shouldn't it be Blizzard? I feel like if your whole shtick is "take someone else' IP and put your own spin on it", then you don't get to be mad when someone turns around and does the same to you.

Not quite the same thing (or a clear cut situation). Sites like DBH have no problem selling designs that reference existing properties (see my shirt) and smart companies know that it helps them in the long run with brand / IP recognition.

If it's off their deviantart or some shit and someone prints it for personal use, I think that's fair game, but making money off someone elses artwork is a bit scummy.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds

Well, her and Blizzard both have a right to be angry. The litany of bootleg the shirt companies is so put of control, plus using someone's artwork, even if it is fanart is really shitty.

Not quite the same thing (or a clear cut situation). Sites like DBH have no problem selling designs that reference existing properties (see my shirt) and smart companies know that it helps them in the long run with brand / IP recognition.

If it's off their deviantart or some shit and someone prints it for personal use, I think that's fair game, but making money off someone elses artwork is a bit scummy.
Why do you draw a line between making money off of someone's IP and off someone's artwork? Is it a corporate/personal thing?

Well, her and Blizzard both have a right to be angry. The litany of bootleg the shirt companies is so put of control, plus using someone's artwork, even if it is fanart is really shitty.
Oh I agree it's scummy as fuck. I just don't think she has any legal standing.

Edit: and for what it's worth I've always made sure that the printing company I work at never prints artwork for someone unless the have full legal permission to do so. My dad used to be a lot more lenient on that until I started hounding him a couple years ago.

FUME5

Lookin suave there fumed.

Hah, cheers.

I took it because every couple of years I let the facial hair grow for a bit, usually shave it pretty quickly because it comes in blonde brown and looks a bit grubby.

It's a little bit darker this time (not that it looks it in this pic) so I might give it another week.

Why not give who you are with the autonomy to style themselves?

It is fun to play dress up with another human as a dummy. It's not like it takes very long.

Hot tip: Any slightly-long top can be made into a ridiculously short sexy dress if you tug a bit.

Living with my is probably awful.

Ceallach

Why do you draw a line between making money off of someone's IP and off someone's artwork? Is it a corporate/personal thing?

Oh I agree it's scummy as fuck. I just don't think she has any legal standing.

You're right, legally it is derivative work.

FUME5

Yes, the same reason a smart company won't try to shutdown cosplayers etc.. is the same reason they aren't pursuing all the sites like DBH, it's free mindshare and they know that will help their IP be profitable for them in the long run.

One person having their artwork used without permission in a commercial venture? There's no benefit for them at all.

Hah, cheers.

I took it because every couple of years I let the facial hair grow for a bit, usually shave it pretty quickly because it comes in blonde brown and looks a bit grubby.

It's a little bit darker this time (not that it looks it in this pic) so I might give it another week.
Go all out man. Dont trim is for like 3 or 4 months and then shape it.

Ceallach

Yes, the same reason a smart company won't try to shutdown cosplayers etc.. is the same reason they aren't pursuing all the sites like DBH, it's free mindshare and they know that will help their IP be profitable for them in the long run.

One person having their artwork used without permission in a commercial venture? There's no benefit for them at all.
I really wish they would shut all of these scumbag sites down.

It is fun to play dress up with another human as a dummy. It's not like it takes very long.

Hot tip: Any slightly-long top can be made into a ridiculously short sexy dress if you tug a bit.

Living with my is probably awful.

Slightly long tops are amazing to sleep in!

I guess it's kind of how when she does her fan art, you know it's a nod to Overwatch, but when they print their shirts you don't know the artist is her. Hmm.

FUME5

Go all out man. Dont trim is for like 3 or 4 months and then shape it.

We'll see bro, I can be an impatient man.

I really wish they would shut all of these scumbag sites down.

I mean, if they were just printing official art (the same as you could buy in the companies webstore for instance) I'd agree with you. Let's take the shirt I'm wearing, with Rosie the Riveter mashed up with Alien, does that really take away from the pocket of the license holders?

I guess it's kind of how when she does her fan art, you know it's a nod to Overwatch, but when they print their shirts you don't know the artist is her. Hmm.

Yeah, that's my personal stance on it. Brand / IP recognition is invaluable, and if you can have an element of 'cool' attached to it by these unlicensed deals it benefits that brand / IP I feel.

Ceallach

I mean, if they were just printing official art (the same as you could buy in the companies webstore for instance) I'd agree with you. Let's take the shirt I'm wearing, with Rosie the Riveter mashed up with Alien, does that really take away from the pocket of the license holders?
That's entirely irrelevant. The people who made that shirt had no right to use that IP and no right to profit from that. You can say mindshare all you want, but these are all geeky franchises everyone knows, they are just people profiting off things they don't own. It's bootleg merch.

FUME5

That's entirely irrelevant. The people who made that shirt had no right to use that IP and no right to profit from that. You can say mindshare all you want, but these are all geeky franchises everyone knows, they are just people profiting off things they don't own. It's bootleg merch.

I'll agree it's certainly a grey market, I just don't think it's doing any damage to the bottom line of the right holders (in the majority of cases) and is actually a net gain for them.

I obviously don't have any data to back that up, but these sites are hardly operating in the shadows, if the big boys wanted to shut them down (and could legally do so) then they would.

Mindshare

1DvmuCb.gif

Ceallach

I'll agree it's certainly a grey market, I just don't think it's doing any damage to the bottom line of the right holders (in the majority of cases) and is actually a net gain for them.

I obviously don't have any data to back that up, but these sites are hardly operating in the shadows, if the big boys wanted to shut them down (and could legally do so) then they would.

Mindshare

To me, it's no different than the guys selling bootleg shit on aliexpress. It's not grey, it's a black market. You are selling something you do not legally have the right to do so. There are people whose jobs it is to produce merchandise for these licenses. There are legit places like welovefine to get merch for what you want.

But in better news

15203364_10154227429591478_104634366040903729_n.jpg

Hey team. What controller do you guys use on PC? I've been using the wii u pro controller but syncing it is too much of a hassle. Also not a fan of the dualshock4, battery life is horrible and i prefer a traditional d-pad.

FUME5

To me, it's no different than the guys selling bootleg shit on aliexpress. It's not grey, it's a black market. You are selling something you do not legally have the right to do so. There are people whose jobs it is to produce merchandise for these licenses. There are legit places like welovefine to get merch for what you want.

Fair enough, I certainly understand your stance on this.

(I just had a quick look at the welovefine store, I don't see anything on the front page that I would buy, but I usually only buy things that nod towards a property, I'll wear a shirt with a small N7 logo on it for example, but I ain't rocking around with a print of Garrus saying calibrations.)

Hey team. What controller do you guys use on PC? I've been using the wii u pro controller but syncing it is too much of a hassle. Also not a fan of the dualshock4, battery life is horrible and i prefer a traditional d-pad.

I use the Xbone controllers, pretty sure you don't even need the wireless dongle anymore.

EDIT

Ooh, Dishonoured 2 for 33% off on Steam, glad I waited a bit.

Ceallach

Do you have a mayflash adapter? It is a godsend for the Wii U pro and way cheaper than getting a Xbone controller

Yeah, I use the Xbox one pad on my PC, but I also have a dual shock 4 and 360 pad on my desk. I think the Xbox one pad is probably the best of them, but I actually really like the dual shock.

I don't think the Wii U pad is very good at all, it's just far better than anything else that you can use on the Wii U.

Do you have a mayflash adapter? It is a godsend for the Wii U pro and way cheaper than getting a Xbone controller

I forgot about that thing. Would be a good compromise. I love the Wii U Pro, it's got incredible battery life, has a perfect form factor AND has the superior d pad.

FUME5

Having used all of them, the Xbone is definitely my preferred controller, although if they were to integrate Sonys touchscreen for the next iteration I wouldn't complain.

Having used all of them, the Xbone is definitely my preferred controller, although if they were to integrate Sonys touchscreen for the next iteration I wouldn't complain.
Yeah, I got really used to using the touchpad as a mouse input with my dual shock, but the ergonomics and the plug and play nature of the Xbox one pad make it have the slight lead.

Waiting for my package to get delivered. You promised me Amazon. PROMISED
Weird. Amazon is basically always on time or even far ahead of schedule when I order stuff from them.

Ceallach

I forgot about that thing. Would be a good compromise. I love the Wii U Pro, it's got incredible battery life, has a perfect form factor AND has the superior d pad.
Wii U pro controller is my favorite and it's battery life is fucking bonkers. Bummed they abandoned its design for the Switch

FUME5

Wii U pro controller is my favorite and it's battery life is fucking bonkers. Bummed they abandoned its design for the Switch

I thought the current one was compatible?

Gotta admit I haven't been paying much attention to it, probably only get it if Monster Hunter is exclusive again.

Ceallach

I thought the current one was compatible?

Gotta admit I haven't been paying much attention to it, probably only get it if Monster Hunter is exclusive again.

I don't know if it is. They haven't said anything is backwards compat.

MonHun will most likely be exclusive. If they were gonna do a console games it would have happened already

FUME5

I don't know if it is. They haven't said anything is backwards compat.

MonHun will most likely be exclusive. If they were gonna do a console games it would have happened already

That's my gut feeling, ah well, should be some big screen MonHun in my future one way or the other.

Misha

Banned
I just realized that captain America civil war and batman vs superman came out this year. Man its been a really long year

FloatOn

I wish that I could get into monster hunter. I love the idea of it but the execution just doesn't click with me. It feels a bit cumbersome or something. If they smoothed out the experience and maybe made it less grindy I think I would be a fan.

FloatOn

Horizon Zero Dawn looks like it'll be more your thing then.

(Yes I am aware you don't own a PS4)

I almost jumped on that uncharted Black Friday deal but I just can't justify it right now. The thing would collect dust for at least a year before I really had time to invest.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I almost jumped on that uncharted Black Friday deal but I just can't justify it right now. The thing would collect dust for at least a year before I really had time to invest.
Bro got it on Besbuy with Bloodborne and Until Dawn for free

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I beat FFXV.

It's a beautiful mess. And I don't just mean graphically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom