• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I feel there's plenty of genuine talent and brilliance beating in Kojima's heart and it's evident throughout all his work. There's an authenticity in the themes he tackles which are, more often than not, original takes on existing themes combined with more adventurous commentary that isn't always seen in the medium. But for me the issue is always the execution, in particular his inability to restrain himself and seemingly lock of heavy collaborative input in areas he is weak (eg: script). Being an unrestrained auteur squanders his own potential.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is the quintessential example of this for me. Nanomachine jokes aside, the core premise is fascinating, legitimate science fiction and a decent commentary on globalisation of a capitalise war economy and social control. Here you have a story which, at it's core, is based in a future where an artificial intelligence system has been slowly integrated into more or less every facet of a functioning society, industry, and government under the goal of balanced algorithms churning through enmassed collated data to structure and guide human progress towards a balanced equilibrium. The intelligent algorithms get caught in a feedback loop where a perpetual, balanced society requires a continue feedback into controlled military conflicts where on a human level seem legitimate but as a whole are technically all dictated by a grander system. It's a classic science fiction premise imbued with pre-cyberpunk concepts like nanomachines and artificial intelligence with legitimate commentary on an increasingly connected, tech heavy, system-based modernised world.

But then when it's on the fringe of being something great Kojima rips a loud fart and shits the bed with cancer lady committing cancer suicide while nerdguy who recently banged her cries via a goofy robot and there's a campy vampire man and sexy badgirls in skin tight suits sexing it up in post boss photoshoots and raiden says it even rained the day he was born because he's a colossal fucking edgelord.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Man, breath of the wild looks great, and I don't know about you guys but I inferred from the trailer that there could be a playable girl version of Zelda
Same. I'm starting to think this is one of the reasons for the delay. They saw the reaction and the hope for a female pc.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I feel there's plenty of genuine talent and brilliance beating in Kojima's heart and it's evident throughout all his work. There's an authenticity in the themes he tackles which are, more often than not, original takes on existing themes combined with more adventurous commentary that isn't always seen in the medium. But for me the issue is always the execution, in particular his inability to restrain himself and seemingly lock of heavy collaborative input in areas he is weak (eg: script). Being an unrestrained auteur squanders his own potential.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is the quintessential example of this for me. Nanomachine jokes aside, the core premise is fascinating, legitimate science fiction and a decent commentary on globalisation of a capitalise war economy and social control. Here you have a story which, at it's core, is based in a future where an artificial intelligence system has been slowly integrated into more or less every facet of a functioning society, industry, and government under the goal of balanced algorithms churning through enmassed collated data to structure and guide human progress towards a balanced equilibrium. The intelligent algorithms get caught in a feedback loop where a perpetual, balanced society requires a continue feedback into controlled military conflicts where on a human level seem legitimate but as a whole are technically all dictated by a grander system. It's a classic science fiction premise imbued with pre-cyberpunk concepts like nanomachines and artificial intelligence with legitimate commentary on an increasingly connected, tech heavy, system-based modernised world.

But then when it's on the fringe of being something great Kojima rips a loud fart and shits the bed with cancer lady committing cancer suicide while nerdguy who recently banged her cries via a goofy robot and there's a campy vampire man and sexy badgirls in skin tight suits sexing it up in post boss photoshoots and raiden says it even rained the day he was born because he's a colossal fucking edgelord.

Mads Mikkelsen, tho.

I don't even know what I just watched, but I know it will take an act of God for me not to buy Death Stranding, which is a tall order considering how much I usualyl sneer at Kojima.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mads Mikkelsen, tho.

I don't even know what I just watched, but I know it will take an act of God for me not to buy Death Stranding, which is a tall order considering how much I usualyl sneer at Kojima.

Aesthetically Death Stranding is super cool. I like the animated WW2 soldier corpses tech-tethered to blackblood Mikkelsen. It's visually military scifi surrealism to the best of Kojima's work.

Whether or not it'll actually be any good or extreme levels of stupid *shrug*. I'll buy it regardless and be partoftheproblem.

EatChildren

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is the high of the entire trilogy and it's blatantly obvious they're pushing that in Andromeda's solo combat and that just makes me more excited. Looks gorgeous, not sold on the story at all especially since Inquisition was narratively shit, but mechanically Andromeda looks like tons of fun to play and gives me good ME3 mutli vibes.

look at this dope shit

untitled-1d7uyj.jpg

Death Standing is the perfect what the fuck are you smoking kind of game
That being said, I'm intrigued by it and can't wait to see more

Not releasing until 2018 though if we are lucky

I just actually watched the new Death stranding trailer. Holy shit now THIS looks interesting. Screw all your lame new mass effects and star warses and mickey mouses

Jobbs

Banned
Gears of War is fire mechanically. I'll take that over the drunken sailor with Parkinson's disease gameplay that was in the first Mass Effect.

Oh there was a new mass effect thing? Gonna go watch that. All I've seen is Zelda and Baby in the wall.

FYI Gears 4 is, as you say, fucking fire

EatChildren

Prey looks cool too in the sense of I'm-trying-to-be-optimistic and it adopts more from Dishonored than BioShock. Looks mechanically engaging but long term quality will be dependant on how deep the systems and powers can be experimented with. Like it's super cool that one power is the ability to embody physics based objects in the world and control them, example being embodying a cup so you can roll through a small window to enter an area. But too often games demonstrate these kinds of game systems in previews and then it turns out that's the only puzzle and means of engagement they could think of with said systems.

Arkane is good people though and continue to make gems soooo yeah.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
That image doesn't represent any of the things I liked about ME :(

Mass Effect was about interesting sci-fi craziness and fucking aliens. I want massive amounts of management and shit and lots of talking. I can get my shoot fix elsewhere

Overwatch killed all current x future hero games for at least the next few years

Never really got into mass effect but I'll play the trilogy eventually 😎
Gears of war was always a dumb shooter but a good dumb shooter , I loved all the games
Got gears 4 waiting for me for after the semester

Jobbs

Banned
Okay, I watched the new Mass Effect video. It looks nice enough and certainly appears to be a Mass Effect game. I'm curious to know whether they've further scaled down the RPG aspects (or scaled them back up). I like the colorful planets.

Talking about shooting shit up, Lawbreakers looks uninspired af.

So much for all that edgelord talk.

This is what people want. Overwatch is a snooze and it won GOTY at the game award thing

look at this dope shit

Yeah, I later watched the whole thing and liked it more. The soundtrack is neat and the skeleton soldier minion things of the Hannibal guy was neat. Also baby in the wall!

EatChildren

breath of the wild looks so comfy and zen ;_;

Jobbs

Banned
James Cordon came on somehow (terrible mistake) and Jessica Alba is on. She's the same age as me (slightly older, actually) and it's weird that I've grown up knowing who she is and she always looks about the same. She's so great :D

FloatOn

going from mass effect to mass effect 2 was like a night and day difference in quality of life. It was just more fun to play I don't care if they dumbed down the janky rpg stuff. I never got around to mass effect 3.

zelda continues to look great.

I stopped caring about Kojima games after the first metal gear solid.

Jobbs

Banned
I wouldn't care if they made Mario a girl, but it wouldn't make as much sense because Mario isn't a new character in each game. Link is always different so it'd be neat to have a girl one, but if there's a playable Zelda that's cool too.

OMW to go hacking

T2Mcnxz.png

#l33thacker #hackergear

Overwatch getting GOTY, I'm happy for Blizzard they deserve it. It's really well designed and has consumed so much of my time this year.

Mass Effect looks cool, I'm hoping they have more than a handful of planets to explore and some interesting stories on those planets. The marketing is absolutely abysmal though. I was yelling at the narrator to stop talking.

Death Stranding will have a movie of trailers by the time the game actually comes out, impossible to say whether it's something I'm interested in at this point.

zeldazeldazelda

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'd be more concerned about saying "to pee" as opposed to "take a piss".

If it helps I was beyond piss drunk.

Our other office for some reason has the women's bathroom on the left. Men's bathrooms are always to the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom