• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Ex Machina was good but Sunshine is the superior Alex Garland/ Danny Boyle film still.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Now for no reason whatsoever I'll criticize two of EC's choices

"The Witch" was a movie that constantly felt like I should be thinking it's good, but constantly found myself actively disliking the characters and setting, perhaps in part because the movie lacked a "protagonist" -- You know, someone we can in some way relate to who guides us through the story, especially when it takes place in a setting where everyone is a weirdo we can't understand. The girl was the closest thing but still not really.

"Inside" excelled at establishing a rich atmospheric setting but left me feeling that it was sort of a cop-out story wise and ultimately overrated.

We definitely agree on Ex Machina though. I don't know if I'd want to watch this movie repeatedly like I do with some movies that I love, but I loved it nonetheless. I love good science fiction that is true to itself and its world and doesn't compromise itself to make an obnoxious hollywood payoff

I disagree pretty firmly on The Witch, and felt Thomasin served her role perfectly as a vessel for the audience to experience the narrative and develop its themes. I don't really feel the need to relate to a cast or protagonist, so much as be convinced by and empathise with them, but I can appreciate if you didn't feel that with The Witch then a lot of the story would lose impact. It hit a lot of horror notes I really love.

I kinda agree with Inside, but I guess putting it on the list is just because it's one of the few games in the last ~two years to really hook me and have me excited to play. Sessions (few as they were, due to length) flew by and only during the lull in pacing around the halfway point did I tire. I find myself getting more bored and frustrated with a lot of games these days, including those I thought I'd be all over (looking at you, Mankind Divided). I specifically avoided Inside because I thought Limbo was way overrated and disappointing, so I'm certain a lot of my love for Inside comes from being pleasantly surprised.

Agree on Ex Machina, and that's why I liked it. It's proper science fiction tailored towards an audience attuned to the genre, relishing in its concepts, themes, and premise while avoiding Hollywood-ised narrative cliches and script regression in order to simply and/or over-explain the plots. It sets its premise quickly and focuses entirely on exploring it. I'm loving Westworld for similar reasons, even if it's obviously more pulpy and Hollywood at times.

Ex Machina was good but Sunshine is the superior Alex Garland/ Danny Boyle film still.

I do love me some Sunshine but I'm one of those prudes who feel it went poopy once it because a crazy space man slasher movie.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The Witch I felt like I was a fly in the wall watching everything unfold. I dont need to relate to the cast but to feel interested and invested in the setting and the story is giving. Thomasin or whatever her name was served her purpose just fine as everyone else did.

Jobbs

Banned
Ex Machina and Europa Report are science fiction that respect their audience, Gravity and The Martian are science fiction for general audiences/dummies. I still got something out of Gravity because it was beautiful to look at -- Just from that visual perspective -- But, yeah, incredibly dumb.

Also how is this real?

5PJWAs8.png

FloatOn

what's your top 5 list of recent games and movies? I'm totally not ripping that off for any potential test questions

How recent? I'll try to do the past couple of years. (In no particular order)

Movies:

1) hateful 8
2) deadpool
3) the nice guys
4) Star Trek beyond
5) the force awakens

Games:

1) street fighter 5
2) dark souls 3
3) rocket league
4) videoball
5) witcher 3

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I do love me some Sunshine but I'm one of those prudes who feel it went poopy once it because a crazy space man slasher movie.

I don't know if it's a slasher because Pinbacker doesn't really care about killing the crew, he just does what he needs to do to doom the mission, and there's no jump scares.

Ex Machina and Europa Report are science fiction that respect their audience, Gravity and The Martian are science fiction for general audiences/dummies. I still got something out of Gravity because it was beautiful to look at -- Just from that visual perspective -- But, yeah, incredibly dumb.

I thought The Martian suffered from over-explaination but it's got nothing on The Big Short, that movie is downright belittling.

First weekend in a long time where I have had 0 obligations to work or family, and and 0 plans. Not entirely sure what I am going to do with two whole days off where I can do whatever I want.

thanks for your lists guys :) definitely some titles in there I haven't thought about yet.

___
man i wanna get a new haircut but i dont know whaaat

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Undercuts are hot af. But since you are trying to get into a field where you will be doing international business, you should get something professional as you might be dealing with some judgemental fuckbois.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Is it better to get the undercut on the left or right side? Are you supposed to get it on the side of your dominant hand? I don't know these things.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I think it was her avvy once? Bento is fresh as fuck.

Is it better to get the undercut on the left or right side? Are you supposed to get it on the side of your dominant hand? I don't know these things.

I think you are supposed to do it on the side opposite your dominant hand? I thought I read something about it being easier to maintain the hair on the long sid ethat way since your dominant hand tends to be more dexterous.

And all this hair talk just reminds me of that own impending hair loss. I am already at the point where my options are buzz cut, bic it, or deny the reality of the situation and grasp onto my youth until my dying breath and look like a clown while doing it.

FloatOn

I think you are supposed to do it on the side opposite your dominant hand? I thought I read something about it being easier to maintain the hair on the long sid ethat way since your dominant hand tends to be more dexterous.

And all this hair talk just reminds me of that own impending hair loss. I am already at the point where my options are buzz cut, bic it, or deny the reality of the situation and grasp onto my youth until my dying breath and look like a clown while doing it.

Hey man. As someone that is bald as long as you own it it's all good. Plus it's a good excuse to wear a variety of hats.

Misha

Banned
Just got a steam controller with the discount from civ 6. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Only issue is the A and X buttons are a bit far for my thumb :(

Trying to be productive today. Doing some coding practice while watching football. Trying to not be a lazy piece of shit every weekend.

I've eaten at fancy resaurants. I've had four course meals at Michelin rated hoity toity places. And still, none of them compare to a burger and fries from a Flying J truckstop.

Go figure.

FUME5

this shit needs to stop!
translation: just looking for someone to inline skate with

Hahahaha.

This is how much of a romantic I am, I've got a tentative date lined up for next Friday and I'm slightly annoyed with myself for forgetting that Battlefield drops that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom