• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.
*stares longingily into the horizon*

*flirts with the thought of moving into the Alaskan wilderness, communing with only the animals for the rest of my life*

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
*stares longingily into the horizon*

*flirts with the thought of moving into the Alaskan wilderness, communing with only the animals for the rest of my life*
I was holed up in a shack in Alaska... drinking too much.

codec030508.jpg

I have seriously considered this too

Something I appreciate about gaming is its therapeutic influence on my mind. I don't know what I would do with myself if I hadn't have any other passion left in my life anymore. I would love to start learning an instrument or practicing archery but daaaaaamn... I feel so tired and anemic lately I can barely study or do market researches on my own.

My mum is doing a cure for the next 3 weeks so I'll have some privacy and can find a psychologist to hopefully get some meds....or I simply get a cat 🐱

I have a couple comfort games I know can always cheer me up, or at the very least distract me for awhile. GTA and WoW are the biggest two. Dragon quest builders is capturing that feeling right now but I don't know how long that will last.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
trab wants all the things

when i'm browsing dating sites for a qt, 95% of the profiles are poses on top of mountains and saying things like "witty banter" and "verbal tomfoolery". who talks like this

zeemumu

when i'm browsing dating sites for a qt, 95% of the profiles are poses on top of mountains and saying things like "witty banter" and "verbal tomfoolery". who talks like this

People who say that they're awkward and antisocial but actually aren't, or characters in a Diablo Cody movie.

SolVanderlyn

Is it a controversial opinion to say that I like Zack more than Cloud?
Hell no. Zack is awesome. He totally would have helped the crew out if he hadn't died. He's as much a party member as any other FFVII main cast member, and always has been, even before he got his own game.

Zack-Fair-zack-fair-37651110-344-400.png

I love his older design.

Misha

Banned
Do you think this would be a good thing to text my friend to gauge the temperature on his opinions of LGBT people and such?

"As my token liberal friend, I'm wondering how do you deal with it when you're stuck around people with negative opinions of like LGBT people and stuff? Cause it bugs me to hear them not willing to acknowledge part of someone's identity."

Seems like it might be inconspicuous enough given the election and all. Might be too broad of a question when I'm only trying to get a small amount of info tho

Pau

Ouija Origin of Evil is supposed to be good. Outside of that Doctor Strange comes out early next month

I still haven't played Second Son but I played the first game on both alignments and played through the 2nd one on good.
I liked the collectathon aspect of the first game but not too much else. Second Son looks pretty which makes me want to play but I dunno.

Do you think this would be a good thing to text my friend to gauge the temperature on his opinions of LGBT people and such?

"As my token liberal friend, I'm wondering how do you deal with it when you're stuck around people with negative opinions of like LGBT people and stuff? Cause it bugs me to hear them not willing to acknowledge part of someone's identity."

Seems like it might be inconspicuous enough given the election and all. Might be too broad of a question when I'm only trying to get a small amount of info tho
It sounds like you have a specific reason for wanting to text him that. If somebody sent me that I'd think they either wanted to express something themselves or just wanted to pick a fight. I can't say the latter would be very appealing to me, at all. So I'd most likely shut down the conversation or ignore it outright.

Misha

Banned
It sounds like you have a specific reason for wanting to text him that. If somebody sent me that I'd think they either wanted to express something themselves or just wanted to pick a fight. I can't say the latter would be very appealing to me, at all. So I'd most likely shut down the conversation or ignore it outright.
Is it the tone then? I was going for kinda playful (hmm that issue is familiar)

The way I was thinking is I already established that I recent made a turn for the left and he's the only one I know that was already there (not entirely the truth but it allows me to play dumb a bit if necessary) and we have multiple super conservative friends and my family is likewise conservative and it could sound like I have an issue with some combination of them.

You're starting to have too many things. You already have cats and hating roller blades. You're gonna have to choose some soon
Those are things you only think i want to have to myself. I'd love to share them with people intelligent enough to think like i think

Coding is starting to stress me out more than usual.

I'm what way?

Is it the tone then? I was going for kinda playful (hmm that issue is familiar)

The way I was thinking is I already established that I recent made a turn for the left and he's the only one I know that was already there (not entirely the truth but it allows me to play dumb a bit if necessary) and we have multiple super conservative friends and my family is likewise conservative and it could sound like I have an issue with some combination of them.

Unless you're talking about specific, direct abuse or oppression, not just people spouting their awful opinions, then you definitely have ulterior motives. You don't just casually talk about how shitty someone is. If it's worth bringing up at all it's because you want to do something about it or you want to get help from someone who knows what to do about it. So no, it doesn't sound like you're making playful conversation. It's not a matter of tone.

SolVanderlyn

Misha

Banned
Unless you're talking about specific, direct abuse or oppression, not just people spouting their awful opinions, then you definitely have ulterior motives. You don't just casually talk about how shitty someone is. If it's worth bringing up at all it's because you want to do something about it or you want to get help from someone who knows what to do about it. So no, it doesn't sound like you're making playful conversation. It's not a matter of tone.
I didn't mean casual conversation. The idea here would be that I'm not used to noticing such things and am yes complaining about family or friends and want advice on how to deal with it.
I'm playing a character essentially for a reaction.

I just don't know how else to go about it without just asking straight up.
If I did that maybe like:

"So I kinda got that you're economically liberal and environmentally too but how do you feel about social issues like race relations, gender stuff and LGBT stuff? Typically in line with party or something different?"

You're that way?

Professor is insanely strict and I'm worried about not being qualified enough to do anything. Plus I'vebeen lagging on working on this game.
Sorry, I'm on my phone right now and didn't even notice the typo.

Are there other students you can get help from? I know when I was studying programming a lot of them needed to be in study groups, and often times I was asked to help out.

I didn't mean casual conversation. The idea here would be that I'm not used to noticing such things and am yes complaining about family or friends and want advice on how to deal with it.
I'm playing a character essentially for a reaction.

I just don't know how else to go about it without just asking straight up.
If I did that maybe like:

"So I kinda got that you're economically liberal and environmentally too but how do you feel about social issues like race relations, gender stuff and LGBT stuff? Typically in line with party or something different?"
I think pointing out that he's liberal is setting up expectations he may not want. Personally, I hate labels. I don't want to be called liberal or bisexual or spiritual or anything. All of that carries baggage and I don't need to carry that around if I don't have to. So don't weigh down the conversation more than it must be.

Just ask if it bothers him when other people denegrate gender and sexual minorities, or minorities in general. Say it's been bothering you and ask how he deals with it. Unless you're really unsure of his position, beating around the bush only serves to introduce extra awkwardness.

Misha

Banned
I think pointing out that he's liberal is setting up expectations he may not want. Personally, I hate labels. I don't want to be called liberal or bisexual or spiritual or anything. All of that carries baggage and I don't need to carry that around if I don't have to. So don't weigh down the conversation more than it must be.

Just ask if it bothers him when other people denegrate gender and sexual minorities, or minorities in general. Say it's been bothering you and ask how he deals with it. Unless you're really unsure of his position, beating around the bush only serves to introduce extra awkwardness.
He's atheist, vegetarian, democrat etc. unless he finds liberal to be a dirty word like rnh does, its been pretty well established how he fits there

The issue with not bringing that up as a start is suddenly it's kind of random and a bit more obvious that I'm seeing it less politically and more personally. But yeah I have no idea of his position though I'd assume he'd be receptive but I really have no idea

zeemumu

It's ok. Programming is so complex and huge, it's impossible to really scratch the surface. I feel this way a lot too, but getting some coding problems done usually alleviates it.

Sorry, I'm on my phone right now and didn't even notice the typo.

Are there other students you can get help from? I know when I was studying programming a lot of them needed to be in study groups, and often times I was asked to help out.

No worries. I was just joking with you :p

I speak to classmates and get help from programming gaf when I need it.

He's atheist, vegetarian, democrat etc. unless he finds liberal to be a dirty word like rnh does, its been pretty well established how he fits there

The issue with not bringing that up as a start is suddenly it's kind of random and a bit more obvious that I'm seeing it less politically and more personally. But yeah I have no idea of his position though I'd assume he'd be receptive but I really have no idea
He needs to know that this is personal. If politics isn't personal then it's just a bunch of screaming and finger waggling.

People who are political just for the sake of being political are highly disagreeable and only relate to others like them.

No worries. I was just joking with you :p

I speak to classmates and get help from programming gaf when I need it.

I had a couple professors that would grade programs entirely by script. It either worked or it didn't. Wouldn't even look at the code. That was the worst.

Misha

Banned
He needs to know that this is personal. If politics isn't personal then it's just a bunch of screaming and finger waggling.

People who are political just for the sake of being political are highly disagreeable and only relate to others like them.
I very much disagree with that.

Unless your oncern is his perception of me(I'd much rather be considered a weird person into politics than him get suspicious when he wouldn't be supportive), he definitely isn't like that. He has strong views but generally keeps them to himself.

Unless your oncern is his perception of me(I'd much rather be considered a weird person into politics than him get suspicious when he wouldn't be supportive), he definitely isn't like that. He has strong views but generally keeps them to himself.

I don't know anybody who randomly brings up a conversation like that except weirdos on the internet. Maybe he's different, but if I were him I'd know you were either trying to pick a fight or about to reveal something about yourself. You said he generally keeps his head down. So why wouldn't that just be what you do too? Clearly you're trying to instigate something. If he catches that scent on you but he normally avoids confrontation then he's not going to go to battle with you now.

If you want him on your side you need to give him a personal reason to fight for you. AKA come out to him. Otherwise go ahead and expect him to dismiss the matter. It does him no favors to be manifestly for or against the cause until he's got skin in the game.

Jobbs

Banned

If someone wouldn't be supportive, do you want them as a friend?

SolVanderlyn

I've been on GAF for exactly four years and four days.

Misha

Banned
I don't know anybody who randomly brings up a conversation like that except weirdos on the internet. Maybe he's different, but if I were him I'd know you were either trying to pick a fight or about to reveal something about yourself. You said he generally keeps his head down. So why wouldn't that just be what you do too? Clearly you're trying to instigate something. If he catches that scent on you but he normally avoids confrontation then he's not going to go to battle with you now.

If you want him on your side you need to give him a personal reason to fight for you. AKA come out to him. Otherwise go ahead and expect him to dismiss the matter. It does him no favors to be manifestly for or against the cause until he's got skin in the game.
Okay ill not do that strategy since you definitely mentioned a few reasons why its not foolproof
I'm not going to just come out to him tho because (see below)
If someone wouldn't be supportive, do you want them as a friend?

No but right now I'm just trying to get some support before I have to deal with the non supportive people. Its not like I can just dump all my friends and family for new ones at a moment's notice. I'm alone if the cat's out of the bag and I don't have anyone on my side

Pau

That doesn't sound like a fun position to be in Misha. I'm sorry you have to deal with it. Maybe start the conversation by asking how he deals with having such different opinions from his friends and family and if he ever feels uncomfortable about it?

Puts my problem in perspective. I'm sitting here trying to convince myself that a 90 on a differential equations exam is not the end of the world.

Misha

Banned
That doesn't sound like a fun position to be in Misha. I'm sorry you have to deal with it. Maybe start the conversation by asking how he deals with having such different opinions from his friends and family and if he ever feels uncomfortable about it?

Puts my problem in perspective. I'm sitting here trying to convince myself that a 90 on a differential equations exam is not the end of the world.
That's definitely a lot less likely to get found out but I'm not entirely sure how id be able to get from there to the point I need to without some of the same issues mentioned (and lilith likely wouldn't approve of that much more than the other way I mentioned it anyway ;P)

Hey that beats the crap out of the grades I got in diff eqs. :p

Not that that's a high bar to beat

I'm lowkey disappointed Lili doesn't dress up as Chanel Oberlin this Halloween

Excepting probably her nurse outfit from this season, it wouldn't look like a costume on me :p

Besides I think I'd make a better Chanel #3

Okay ill not do that strategy since you definitely mentioned a few reasons why its not foolproof
I'm not going to just come out to him tho because (see below)

No but right now I'm just trying to get some support before I have to deal with the non supportive people. Its not like I can just dump all my friends and family for new ones at a moment's notice. I'm alone if the cat's out of the bag and I don't have anyone on my side
So what's your plan? Burden this poor guy with everything should he be supportive and no one else is?

Some of my "supportive" and "accepting" friends don't actively try to hang out with me anymore. They'll pay lip service if pressed and don't run out of the room if I'm there, but they won't intentionally associate with me anymore. Fine. Screw them. But I never would have known which of my friends actually support me and which ones only say they do without coming out. Sometimes you just have to rip off the bandaid.

Xiao Hu

Some of my "supportive" and "accepting" friends don't actively try to hang out with me anymore. They'll pay lip service if pressed and don't run out of the room if I'm there, but they won't intentionally associate with me anymore. Fine. Screw them. But I never would have known which of my friends actually support me and which ones only say they do without coming out. Sometimes you just have to rip off the bandaid.

Bi-fist 👊

*stares out into the evening horizon*

*Hasn't had a drink since the middle of NFL preseason*

*Stares out into the horizon with a blank look in his eyes*

I need a bottle of wine so I don't hate things so badly and I need someone who is willing to listen to my problems.

The whole eastern shore of hobart was blanketed in bumper to bumper traffic for over 90 minutes because people protesting animal rights decided to shut down the bridge. Jesus.

Misha

Banned
So what's your plan? Burden this poor guy with everything should he be supportive and no one else is?

As mentioned earlier, I'm most certainly going to come out to my grandma, I'm planning on working on my mom, and if it succeeds with him then i'll check with his girlfriend (who is also a good friend of mine). I already have. One supportive friend (tho they kinda disappeared and are near impossible to communicate with and are in a worse place than me)

Ive already heard the opinion of most of the rest of my friends and family and it ranges from "well we should be nice to people like that but they shouldn't expect me to be okay with it" and "those people are mentally ill freaks who don't deserve any respect"

This isn't tearing off a Band-Aid, its more like trying to pull a knife out of your side without bleeding out.

This is my attempt to not just follow my original instinct of just leaving some day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom