• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

Skyrim on switch is notable because I think this is the first time maybe ever a massive WRPG has shown up on a nintendo console.

I'm pretty sure it's the remastered version which is also coming out on the other current gen consoles. I guess the point they are trying to make is that Switch is able to play the same games as other consoles but gives you the benefit of being able to play them on the go (if you are into that kind of thing).

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I hope they continue to make portable centric games as well though. Like I really don't care about console gaming on the go. When I am playing a portable, I want games like MegaTen IV, Pokemon, etc. Smaller, more digestible games.

MutFox

Banned
I hope they continue to make portable centric games as well though. Like I really don't care about console gaming on the go. When I am playing a portable, I want games like MegaTen IV, Pokemon, etc. Smaller, more digestible games.

All of Nintendo's internal developers on one system.
Seems like it's highly likely.

FloatOn

I read somewhere that Switch is considered a home console first. I think it will probably be awhile before 3ds is phased out.

1) A list of partners were shown. Fromsoft was one of them. If I can play dark souls on the go I will be fucking ecstatic.

2) Switch is much better than Wii. It's a word associated with action and it represents the main idea of what the console is: switching between home and portable gaming. It's a good starting place as a rebrand for nintendo.
From makes more than Souls games, though, and the most I expect on that front is a DS3 port. But From doesn't do much for me unless we're talking Armored Core. I haven't played a single Souls games, and Bloodborne is the closest I've come to wanting to play one.

Switch is better than Wii, I agree. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but it sounds so weird me.

Ohhhh, I get why it's called Switch.

Nintendo bdsm
👀

R35rjxy.gif

Call it Metroid one more time. I dare you

Jobbtroid

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I seem to recall a lot of developers saying they'd support Wii U at first too. When it didn't pan out they started dropping like flies. It's also weird to have a game that came out before your last console debuted as a prominent selling point (Skyrim).

That being said, if I was betting woman, I'd say mobile is the better long-term investment than VR stuff. I don't care about either so it'll be fun to watch from the sidelines.
I think mobile and VR will both consume traditional console gaming. The Switch is the perfect hybrid to keep it somewhat alive. It's much more powerful than a phone and can be plugged in at home when you have access to a TV. Nintendo has always done its own thing, and I think it's a genius way to compete with a changing market like this.

That's just my two cents, though.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't think VR in anything resembling its current form will ever be much more relevant than stuff like motion controls or 3D television sets. No one cares.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I don't think VR in anything resembling its current form will ever be much more relevant than stuff like motion controls or 3D television sets. No one cares.
Yeah, VR is too divisive, too isolating and has way too many caveats to ever be more than a novelty

FUME5

I have no call for mobile gaming, except maybe when I have to stay somewhere for work, and even then I take a laptop with a few chosen Steam games these days over the 3ds / vita.

Like I said earlier, I'll probably end up buying the fucking thing for Monster Hunter at some point.

Why are you sad? People are allowed to like different things and find different faculties useful.

i'm sad because strangers aren't validating my opinion.

I know I'm deeply in the minority when it comes to mobile and I'm totally ok with that. As long as mobile consoles keep being developed, that is.

i'm sad because strangers aren't validating my opinion.

I know I'm deeply in the minority when it comes to mobile and I'm totally ok with that. As long as mobile consoles keep being developed, that is.
I think you're only in the minority when you consider so-called "hard core" console and PC game players. My girlfriend and housemates play mobile games all the time.

jb1234

The Switch looks super cool, for sure. But I'd play anything Nintendo makes. I'm a hopeless fanboy. If I had the guts, I'd tattoo Mario's face on my balls.

I think mobile games will be more appealing to us cantankerous console peasants/PC ubermensch when the market absolves itself of over-saturated free-to-play/fee-to-pay/pay-to-win/free-to-fee games.

...or maybe some of us are just too ingrained to be using controllers. I don't know.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, but what about 15 years from now? I see early gen VR being a gimmick, but not down the line.

Jobbs

Banned
If you manage to extricate yourself from the mass of limbs send me an invite if you see me online, I'll probably be thrashing BF1.

Want an invite if you're on as well Ceallach?

Cool. I've been playing fairly regularly, at least a few matches a day, typically in social matchmaking (so it just picks a game mode).

I think my level is now such that people it's matching me with are outclassing me. The game was more fun back when I was stomping everyone.

Yeah, but what about 15 years from now? I see early gen VR being a gimmick, but not down the line.

It has to be seamless and easy and shared. It can't be complicated and make your eyes tired and your head tired and isolate you from everyone and make some people sick etc etc... It's not gonna be a huge thing any time soon. I'm not sure what they can actually od, but if it becomes basically sunglasses sized or they invent a Star Trek holodeck maybe then it'll be the next big thing.

SolVanderlyn

VR is not going to disappear.
This is what I was getting at. Gimmicks disappear, VR is like future tech in its infancy.

My comment about it consuming gaming in relation to the Switch was a bit off though, in retrospect it doesn't make much sense with what I'm saying now

FUME5

Cool. I've been playing fairly regularly, at least a few matches a day, typically in social matchmaking (so it just picks a game mode).

I think my level is now such that people it's matching me with are outclassing me. The game was more fun back when I was stomping everyone.

I've got a bit of my groove back when it comes to versus (playing deathmatch in core modes because it takes forever to get a game in other modes) but I've played quite a few matches where it's obvious the other team deliberately tanked their placement matches so they could run amok. Got dominated by a Chinese team last night when I was playing with randoms.

Jobbs

Banned
frozen pizza is a staple of my diet. I had to cut back to one a week because I was eating way too much

man one of those things has like 3,000 calories :eek:

I've got a bit of my groove back when it comes to versus (playing deathmatch in core modes because it takes forever to get a game in other modes) but I've played quite a few matches where it's obvious the other team deliberately tanked their placement matches so they could run amok. Got dominated by a Chinese team last night when I was playing with randoms.

I'm irritated with gnasher dueling because I feel like there's too much chance.. yea, sometimes I get two or three splats in a row and it's great, but other times it seems like I lined it up perfectly and no splat, then I get splatted...

So I often run enforcer instead and fight the gnasher boys on my own terms

AcridMeat

Banned
Mishka have you been playing O-watch?
Good shout. Superb album. It's replaced Dummy as my go to Portishead album. Dat rip.
Yeah man, I started with The Rip because I love it so much.

Went on to my gf about it, but then rambled about Deep Water and she liked that one much more.

Also Humming (was related in YT for her).

FUME5

man one of those things has like 3,000 calories :eek:

I'm irritated with gnasher dueling because I feel like there's too much chance.. yea, sometimes I get two or three splats in a row and it's great, but other times it seems like I lined it up perfectly and no splat, then I get splatted...

So I often run enforcer instead and fight the gnasher boys on my own terms

I'll drink ~2000 calories tonight.

And yeah, gnasher duels have always been a bone of contention, 60% of the time I'm like 'fair enough' the other 40% is straight bullshit.

Why I wished the double barrel shotty was still in, no doubt it will return for Gears 5.

Jobbs

Banned
I'll drink ~2000 calories tonight.

And yeah, gnasher duels have always been a bone of contention, 60% of the time I'm like 'fair enough' the other 40% is straight bullshit.

Why I wished the double barrel shotty was still in, no doubt it will return for Gears 5.

I equip enforcer when I see a gnasher coming straight for me. If you stay on target with most the bullets you can down him super fast before he gets in splat range.

AVmfm4V.gif

I have the advantage as long as I see him coming and I don't fuck up by not being on target enough -- But at least then I know I fucked up and I know it's my fault.

Jobbs

Banned
You prefer the Enforcer to the Lancer huh?

No. I run enforcer + hammerburst almost every time. No gnasher or lancer.

Hammerburst for quick downs at range, enforcer for quick downs close up.

Lancer isn't specialized enough for my liking and gnasher, as we just discussed, can be great but I get annoyed with it.

FUME5

No. I run enforcer + hammerburst almost every time. No gnasher or lancer.

Hammerburst for quick downs at range, enforcer for quick downs close up.

Lancer isn't specialized enough for my liking and gnasher, as we just discussed, can be great but I get annoyed with it.

Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom