• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misha

Banned
Also vegan cheese
Here's hoping those lab grown dairy products thing turns out right cause right now I have to choose between imitation dairy products (barf) and actual dairy products (makes me poop)

Tho coconut and almond based things can be awesome, they're just not the same thing and aren't really common in restaurants and at people's houses yet

Misha

Banned
Kinda want to post in that thick/curvy blah blah thread about how annoying it can be to hear other people tell you that they know you're great the way you are and are you sure you need to lose weight blah blah but there's two reasons why I don't think I will
1. Idk what kinda sizes they're talking about
2. It would go really really poorly by putting yourself as an example in such a thread...

Here's hoping those lab grown dairy products thing turns out right cause right now I have to choose between imitation dairy products (barf) and actual dairy products (makes me poop)

Tho coconut and almond based things can be awesome, they're just not the same thing and aren't really common in restaurants and at people's houses yet
I desperately need lab-made meat to be a thing

Of course, there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism so even if I was vegan I'd still be contributing to suffering

I had a coworker who believed lab made meat would save the world. I dunno if I would go that far but I think it will be a very big deal. I wonder how many vegans would switch back?

FloatOn

Kinda want to post in that thick/curvy blah blah thread about how annoying it can be to hear other people tell you that they know you're great the way you are and are you sure you need to lose weight blah blah but there's two reasons why I don't think I will
1. Idk what kinda sizes they're talking about
2. It would go really really poorly by putting yourself as an example in such a thread...

I think I know what the OP was going for in that thread but it was worded pretty poorly.

I think he was trying to speak against the beauty standard that skinny = beautiful and that people that are not able to fit that body type because of genetics shouldn't feel bad about it. Which I agree with. The problem is, you can't tell people what they should believe about themselves, it's something they have to come to on their own.

Misha

Banned
I had a coworker who believed lab made meat would save the world. I dunno if I would go that far but I think it will be a very big deal. I wonder how many vegans would switch back?
I don't think anyone would "switch". Those that have an issue with meat itself wouldn't eat it and those that have issue with animal product would. I doubt anyone would go back on the parameters that they decided for their own diet since there's no reason to.
I think I know what the OP was going for in that thread but it was worded pretty poorly.

I think he was trying to speak against the beauty standard that skinny = beautiful and that people that are not able to fit that body type because of genetics shouldn't feel bad about it. Which I agree with. The problem is, you can't tell people what they should believe about themselves, it's something they have to come to on their own.
When he described how he tells people such it sounds fine but the thread just made me uncomfortable. It does seem like an ever increasing problem with body positivity and all that that guys use it as an excuse to try to convince girls to be what they consider attractive which what body positivity was supposed to protect from in the first place.

FloatOn

When he described how he tells people such it sounds fine but the thread just made me uncomfortable. It does seem like an ever increasing problem with body positivity and all that that guys use it as an excuse to try to convince girls to be what they consider attractive which what body positivity was supposed to protect from in the first place.

yeah. It's kind of equivalent to someone saying they are not racist because they have a black friend. It's like if you are accepting of all body types you don't have to make a big production about it and announce it to the world just date someone who isn't petite. It's even worse to impose your standard of beauty on someone that is working towards self-improvement. it's tricky though because there are people who are genuinely insecure and will say that they are not beautiful no matter what but there is a difference between encouraging someone and setting a standard of beauty on them.

I'll admit though that for a long time I was programmed to hold the skinny is beautiful bias and it's only been somewhat recently that I've found myself attracted to a variety of body types.

Numb

Wearing sweats outside without gym involved
Never do i judge people harder

---

Letting beard out without cut for few months to see what happens. Ofcourse will shape i aint no savage

I don't think anyone would "switch". Those that have an issue with meat itself wouldn't eat it and those that have issue with animal product would. I doubt anyone would go back on the parameters that they decided for their own diet since there's no reason to.

That's true, I have a lot of questions about the taste and how it would affect the digestive system compared to regular meat though. Didn't realize how many vegans we had in the thread!

Jobbs

Banned
yeah. It's kind of equivalent to someone saying they are not racist because they have a black friend. It's like if you are accepting of all body types you don't have to make a big production about it and announce it to the world just date someone who isn't petite. It's even worse to impose your standard of beauty on someone that is working towards self-improvement. it's tricky though because there are people who are genuinely insecure and will say that they are not beautiful no matter what but there is a difference between encouraging someone and setting a standard of beauty on them.

I'll admit though that for a long time I was programmed to hold the skinny is beautiful bias and it's only been somewhat recently that I've found myself attracted to a variety of body types.

It's "women's appearance belongs to men and not to themselves": the thread. I couldn't have rolled my eyes harder

Misha

Banned

I think the best way to handle it is to just state it as your opinion and don't push it on them "you look really good tonight"= good. Adding on "I don't understand why you don't realize it"=bad. Can't say I haven't done the latter but I'm definitely getting better at recognizing things like that that aren't helpful. Just don't tell someone what they should think and what they should be and be positive to help boost confidence (tho compliments can still suck if only applied to certain situations but that's a different issue)

Also compliments have improved my self esteem a ton in the last couple years

FloatOn

It's "women's appearance belongs to men and not to themselves": the thread. I couldn't have rolled my eyes harder

agreed. I do think that something should be done about the skinny = beautiful standard that the fashion industry and hollywood is trying to sell but I don't think telling someone what they think about themselves is wrong is the answer.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I wanna go in there, because fee things frustrate me more, as I've detailed here plenty, but I can't afford any more bans

agreed. I do think that something should be done about the skinny = beautiful standard that the fashion industry and hollywood is trying to sell but I don't think telling someone what they think about themselves is wrong is the answer.
As a matter of curiosity, do you think the problem is that a standard exists at all, or that the standard is skinny specifically? And more to the point, what do you think should be done about it?

I've never personally struggled with weight, so I'm sure that's biased me to think being skinny is easier than it actually is. But I don't think there's anything wrong with having a beauty standard. If you're going to consider the beauty of something at all, that necessitates something being more beautiful than others. Even if everyone on the planet looked essentially the same, we would still pick out incredibly subtle differences and nuance with which to compare and select the best from. That's just how our minds have evolved to work.

FloatOn

As a matter of curiosity, do you think the problem is that a standard exists at all, or that the standard is skinny specifically? And more to the point, what do you think should be done about it?

I've never personally struggled with weight, so I'm sure that's biased me to think being skinny is easier than it actually is. But I don't think there's anything wrong with having a beauty standard. If you're going to consider the beauty of something at all, that necessitates something being more beautiful than others. Even if everyone on the planet looked essentially the same, we would still pick out incredibly subtle differences and nuance with which to compare and select the best from. That's just how our minds have evolved to work.

I'm still working my way through all this because as I've said it's only been pretty recently that I've made an attempt to de-program my brain to stop buying what hollywood and the fashion industry are selling.

I want to say that that there shouldn't be a standard at all. And that everyone should just be appreciated on an individual basis without any consideration to archetype whatsoever.

As you say though, everyone has their preferences and I think its wrong to deny people that too so long as their preferences are not racist or in any way harmful to whom they are judging.

Concerning what to do about it.... I guess just being subversive about not accepting current cultural norms would be a step in the right direction and also just as Misha said complimenting what isn't normally complimented would also be helpful. My only concern with all of this would be people actually being genuine about it.

I'm still working my way through all this because as I've said it's only been pretty recently that I've made an attempt to de-program my brain to stop buying what hollywood and the fashion industry are selling.

I want to say that that there shouldn't be a standard at all. And that everyone should just be appreciated on an individual basis without any consideration to archetype whatsoever.

As you say though, everyone has their preferences and I think it's wrong to deny people that too so long as their preferences are not racist or in any way harmful to whom they are judging.

Concerning what to do about it.... I guess just being subversive about not accepting current cultural norms would be a step in the right direction and also just as Misha said complimenting what isn't normally complimented would also be helpful. My only concern with all of this would be people actually being genuine about it.
Part of the problem with this is that it assumes people are actually equal. Diversity is beautiful and it gives so much character to our species, but it also means that things are not perfectly balanced. Some people are going to be more kind and hospitable. Some people are going to be more physically fit and beautiful. Some people will be both or neither. It's not a zero sum game with character stats.

There are a hundred and more different ways to find value in someone besides physical beauty. I think you do a disservice to both parties by focusing on something someone doesn't have instead of what they do. So rather than tell someone that they look beautiful when they don't meet whichever beauty standard, I prefer to find something that's actually true about them and compliment that :)

Part of the problem with this is that it assumes people are actually equal. Diversity is beautiful and it gives so much character to our species, but it also means that things are not perfectly balanced. Some people are going to be more kind and hospitable. Some people are going to be more physically fit and beautiful. Some people will be both or neither. It's not a zero sum game with character stats.

There are a hundred and more different ways to find value in someone besides physical beauty. I think you do a disservice to both parties by focusing on something someone doesn't have instead of what they do. So rather than tell someone that they look beautiful when they don't meet whichever beauty standard, I prefer to find something that's actually true about them and compliment that :)

This post is amazing. I need to think more like you more of the time.

Lol I'd be such a random X bad teacher if I ever became one

I'm helping out these kids as a sorta student teacher program for my school and we basically talked about call of duty and the nba and which system my group had

The research X power point did not get started

Misha

Banned

I both agree and disagree. Definitely agree that trying too hard to come up with compliments is a bad thing and comes across as condescending. Disagree that complimenting physical beauty is something that would be a stretch for most people(though attractiveness might be since that is way more personal). Maybe the issue there is that you're thinking of saying something more generic but like eyes, hair, maybe physique etc gives a lot to find in someone and in another situation you could compliment someone fashion sense or such. Like if you see someone wearing a suit and it suits them well there's stuff like: "looking sharp!' Also agree that focusing only on physical appearance is silly but that's the extent of the current conversation so it wasn't exactly going to come up

I feel like I woke up in bizarro world. There's thunder and lightning in Newport Beach right now. This never happens. (impromptu dance parties in the rain every hour or so because we don't know how else to react)

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Next thing you know you'll be buying vanilla almond milk and discovering it legit tastes better than cow milk.

Shame it is fucking atrocious for the environment.
It also is way inferior to proper whole milk

Clydefrog

I feel like I woke up in bizarro world. There's thunder and lightning in Newport Beach right now. This never happens. (impromptu dance parties in the rain every hour or so because we don't know how else to react)

Thunder was pretty loud this morning and it just now came back. It's setting off car alarms, lol

Feels nice to finally have some fuckin weather!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
There's a grimdark Scooby Doo and Flintstones comic reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom