• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Official Thread

Brakara

Edit: OP now updated with correct multiplayer information, so please disregard this post. :)

I scoured the Internet looking for information about the multiplayer. Unfortunately, there's absolutely no official info, so what I describe here is what I've gathered from watching videos, reading previews and browsing the official forum. If any of you see any incorrect information below, or know something more, then please don't hesitate to post here.

First, you choose your loadout before matches. You get three loadouts that you can customize and save. You can change between them during a game, and can also edit them mid-game. There's 15 points you can spend on each loadout.

These are the known weapons and accessories you can choose from:

Weapons

Pistol - 1
Combat Shotgun - 2
Submachine Gun - 3
Hammerhead - 4
Automatic Shotgun - 5
Semi Auto Rifle - 7
Assault Rifle - 8
Sniper Rifle - 9

You start with a primary weapon as well as an optional secondary weapon. In addition, there are four power weapons on the maps:

Napalm Cannon
Pulse Rifle
Laser Gun
Rocket Launcher

Armor

No Armor - 0
Standard Armor - 4
Heavy Armor - 8

Armor decides your class, which can be scout, grunt or tank. Scouts have no armor, but can carry more, while tanks have heavy armor but can carry less. Heavier armor also means you move more slowly.

Explosives and Health

Shock Grenade - 1
Incendiary Grenade - 2
Frag Grenade - 3
Medkit - 3
Proximity Mine - 4

There's no limit, besides available points, on how many items you can carry.

2iha1r5.jpg

According to IGN, you rank up by earning XP playing matches. They claim ranking up will unlock more weapons and accessories for your loadout, but early reports from people playing the game seems to indicate that XP and ranking up is only for the leaderboards.

The health system is slightly changed from single player campaign. Your armor still degrades, but the health is rechargable. But according to IGN again, it recharges much more slowly than in similar games (which I guess is why there's the medkit option in the loadout).

There are six game modes:

Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch
Blitz - capture the flag, where the flag leaves a trail
Failsafe - search and destroy, where you plant bombs on control points with one attacking team and one defending
Control - king of the hill, where you can control up-to three different points on the map to increase your team's score
Armored Front - like Control, but with five control points where all must be controlled in order to win and where each team has one Mech

The game ships with nine maps, where three are for Armored Front only while the last six maps are for the other five modes.

To play, you can choose between a quick match or you can search for a custom game, which allows you to search for a specific game mode or map, which gives you a list of servers. You can also host a game, ranked or unranked. When hosting ranked, you can decide what game mode to use, map, and the number of players. Hosting unranked will give you all that and more, such as friendly fire settings (which are off in ranked), round time limit, team balancing, etc.

I'll add multiplayer info to the OP when it's confirmed (ie. the game is out and you guys have had a chance to play it, as we're not getting it here in Europe until Friday).

thaOwner

Cat in the Hat said:
Same here, aiming was a little off to me on the console version. I'll go PC as well
I only played it on the PC and loved it. When i run through it the first time, I didn't know what to do but after I figured out what the game was about, man i loved it. The
mech
part did it for me.

Nizz

It looks like you may be able to use a Mech in multiplayer. I was watching the Giant Bomb video on the F.E.A.R. 2 multiplayer, and I saw a Mech in there being used. :D

Brakara

fps fanatic said:
It looks like you may be able to use a Mech in multiplayer. I was watching the Giant Bomb video on the F.E.A.R. 2 multiplayer, and I saw a Mech in there being used. :D

Yeah, thanks, I know, but I guess I need to make it more clear in my post. :) Note that the mechs can only be used in the Armored Front mode though.

Nizz

Brakara said:
Yeah, thanks, I know, but I guess I need to make it more clear in my post. :) Note that the mechs can only be used in the Armored Front mode though.
Whoops! *face turning red from embarrassment*

Brakara

Heh, nothing to be embarrassed for since I didn't write it up very well. I tried to make it more clear now. :)

Nikorasu

Woo! Official thread! About time.

I was going to pick up the retail disc but I went ahead and preordered it on steam since it is required anyway.

jkeeling

Very positive review up from IGN (UK first so far) -- http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/952/952577p1.html

8.0 Presentation
Solid all round, with every feature you'd expect in an FPS. It mightn't be genre-defining but it's a thoroughly engaging experience.

8.0 Graphics
Atmospheric lightening and attention to detail shine but visually its a little too generic to be especially spectacular.

8.5 Sound
Plenty of oomph in your weapons and firefights sound convincingly hectic. We're not huge fans of the voice talent but the score excellently underpins the game's constant shift in tone.

8.5 Gameplay
Hugely solid shooting action combines with spectacular AI to make a thoroughly enjoyable and rewarding, if ultimately overly-familiar, experience.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
It's not the longest solo campaign in the world but aggressive AI at higher difficulties makes for a surprisingly fresh play-though. Multiplayer is solid and entertaining if largely unspectacular.

8.5 / Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
VibratingDonkey said:
No it isn't? Vart står ovanstående fasoner? Drar du med bävrar bakom örona? How could it be sold out when you're pre-ordering?

Bävrar får inte plats bakom mina öron :(.

I was more reacting to

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin /PC***

Produkter markerade med *** finns det inte tillräckligt många av på lagret just nu.
Du kan köpa dom som vi har på lagret just nu för leverans direkt.

But they obviously cant have the game in stock if it hasn't even been shipped yet :lol.

*Orders*

Finally playing through the original (having bought it aaaages ago) and am enjoying it even if i am not a fan of the jumpy stuff. If this one is along the same lines then i'll give it a go too. I would ideally like less of the spooky bits but the combat makes up for that stuff.

TheBlackQueen

Neo Member
I played the original FEAR on the PS3 and through the tiny text and crappy audio I absolutely fell in love with it. Outside of KZ2, this is my most anticipated title for the coming months.

Kamakazie! said:
Finally playing through the original (having bought it aaaages ago) and am enjoying it even if i am not a fan of the jumpy stuff. If this one is along the same lines then i'll give it a go too. I would ideally like less of the spooky bits but the combat makes up for that stuff.

See for me, the spooky bits make the game! The scarier the better!

~Kinggi~

Banned
The Fear 2 demo i just played was awesome! Lots of scary moments and big set pieces. Gunplay is also fun. I fucking missed out on the warner deal in minutes, they changed the price while it was in my cart. Damn.

Proc

Are they actually going to support 16x10 on the final release? That was pretty inexcusable in the demo.

Sysgen

Please put the requirements in the OP.

From IGN:

Minimum System Requirements:

*CPU: P4 2.8GHz (3.2GHz Vista)/Athlon 64 3000+ (3200+ Vista)
*GPU: DX9-capable graphics card with 256MB (SM 2.0b). NVidia 6800 or ATI X700.
*RAM: 1GB (1.5GB Vista)
*Hard Drive: 12GB
*DirectX: 9.0c
*Sound: DX9.0c compliant
*Optical drive: DVD (boxed only)
*Internet: Broadband

Recommended System Requirements:

*CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz processor family/Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (required for MP host)
*GPU: Fully DX9-compliant graphics card with 512MB (SM 3.0). NVidia 8600 GTS or ATI HD 2900 XT.
*Ram: 1.5GB
*Hard Drive: 12GB
*DirectX: 9.0c
*Sound: DX9.0c compliant
*Optical drive: DVD (boxed only)
*Internet: Broadband (768kbit/sec upstream required to host 16 players)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
My FPS of the year. I need this game. I love the fact there is progression in the MP. I love XP in MP FPS.

Will XP allow you to increase your starting points for load out? That will be so awesome.I like that way of rewarding players.

EagleEyes

Flunkie said:
Definitely getting the PC version. The console versions were a mess.
I played the 360 demo and it was pretty darn smooth. Definitely picking this up Day 1, loved the original.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
DevelopmentArrested said:
what game doesn't have this by now?

i was #2 in the world in FEAR 1 mp on 360. cant wait to try mp for fear 2.
UT3. :(

Brakara

godhandiscen said:
My FPS of the year. I need this game. I love the fact there is progression in the MP. I love XP in MP FPS.

Will XP allow you to increase your starting points for load out? That will be so awesome.I like that way of rewarding players.

I hope it is, although I can see it becoming pretty unbalanced if there is a large point spread between veterans and newbies. But researching the multiplayer actually made me much more interested in it. I was mainly pre-ordering it for the single player, but I'll definitely give the multi a fair shake now. In particular, Armored Front sounds like a blast. But then again, I have a fondness for Mechs in these types of games (e.g., it was the main reason I played Lost Planet mp).

Also added link to the IGN UK review to the OP, as well listing the PC requirements. Thanks, guys!

I just (as in JUST a few minutes ago) finished F.E.A.R. for the first time :D I got it at release and just stopped somewhere around chapter 8. Finished up the last couple chapters just now. :)

Really looking forward to this.

mr stroke

Haunted said:
edit: People trying the PC demo, was it well optimised? Didn't have a chance to check it out yet on my rig.

game scales really well( 70-80 fps with everything maxed @1920x1200 on a X2 6400+ and 3870x2)
probably better than any shooter released over the last year.

really enjoyed the demo so looking forward to this...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man that Eurogamer review sounds like something Suttner would write.

"It's all executed very well, but there is nothing new so it's crap."

Brakara

I wouldn't put too much weight on the EG review score, since most of Kieron Gillen's criticisms are also valid for the first game. What it tells me is that if you disliked F.E.A.R., then you're not going to like F.E.A.R. 2 either. Which, I guess, is fair.

Varna

Brakara said:
I wouldn't put too much weight into the EG review score, since most of Kieron Gillen's criticisms are also valid for the first game. What it tells me is that if you disliked F.E.A.R., then you're not going to love F.E.A.R. 2. Which is fair.

Eurogamer is like my favorite place to read up on games but I agree. FEAR in general has always been on the "generic" side, but that's never stopped it from being fun.

razorman

From that Eurogamer review:

"The close-combat flying kicks have been excised"

Er, there were most certainly flying kicks in the demo. Did this guy even bother to play the game he reviewed?

Combine

Banned
razorman said:
From that Eurogamer review:

"The close-combat flying kicks have been excised"

Er, there were most certainly flying kicks in the demo. Did this guy even bother to play the game he reviewed?
Wow, that's pretty awful if true. :lol

I'll be getting myself a new PC, and then getting this game.

I've played the demo on 360. Strangely enough, it actually reminded me of The Darkness graphically. Hmm.

Dabanton

Lol the fly kicks are still in the game. It even tells you which button to press on the controller layout page.

Very sloppy journalism.

Nikorasu

That's what I'll never understand about reviewers. If the original was fuck-awesome, and the sequel is more of the same, but better, does it really deserve half the original score? I mean, I know number scores are a horrible way to measure a game's quality because often it's entirely subjective...but there seems to be a stigma associated with "more of the same." If it's still awesome and still fun, who cares? Is it so hard to judge the game on it's own merits and just end with "the game is great, but if you didn't like FEAR don't bother."

TTG

RiverBed said:

I'm wondering what the reviewers expectations were before playing. He didn't like it much and that's fine, but why keep harping on things that are mostly irrelevant? It would be like focusing your Ninja Gaiden review on how there's never really a good explanation for why you're fighting warevolves in Venice and why is this Venice like a narrow corridor? And here come the half naked women and multi stage boss fights again, such cliches.

Moar talk about encounter design, AI and control plz.

Nizz

Anyone else who played the demo on console turn up the sensitivity? Or did it feel good to you as is? I turned it up one space on the bar and it felt right...

Top Bottom