• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 3 (F3AR) |OT| Sibling Rivalry

Stitch

Gold Member
Oh didn't know that. I played Extraction Point a bit and it seems to be alright.

Corky said:
..yet it runs like crap on my pc. Oh well...
are you sure it's not the stuttering bug? i get 75fps with v-sync but the game performs like it's running with sub-20fps.

add horrible ghosting, motionblur, DOF, narrow FOV and ugly textures and you get the FEAR 3 PC port.

multiplayer also seems to be broken. people can't find any games lol. good work Day 1

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Stitch said:

That's the things with these ports, their performance seem to be totally independant with peoples hardwares. A quick example is ( even though it's not really a "port" per se ) with the new Alice game, you got people here on gaf running the game well with cards like gtx 260 whereas someone with a 580 might have crippled performance.

It's all good though I don't really mind right now. If anything it gives me a new sense of gratitude towards crytek and crysis 2.

Nah man, I'm certain my framerate is going from 60+ to 30-40 for no reason the few minutes I tried offline "zombiemode" or w/e.

Finished this one last night.

At least I know where the story went. What little story there is exists only at the end, all of it vacuum packed into a very forgettable final level that I doubt anybody would want to replay.

Final thoughts? The mechanics are all pulled off pretty well, and like an earlier poster said it is one of the better implementations of first person cover out there. The progression system rewards replays and experimentation, and I do like their idea of having the points system play into the ending.

But yeah, its not F.E.A.R. No dread, no ambiance, no mood, no context. The regenerating health, two weapon limit, cover system and the focus on multiplayer leaves the single player experience flat, plodding, predictable and derivative (in a bad way).

Only buy this if you're planning on doing a lot of co-op and multiplayer and want to sprinkle in some FEAR-ish elements.

FLEABttn

Banned
Stitch said:
Oh didn't know that. I played Extraction Point a bit and it seems to be alright.

Extraction Point is great. I rate is equally with FEAR 1. It's that good.

Perseus Mandate, on the other hand, I got about half way through before I said fuck it and rage quit. It doesn't hold a candle to FEAR 1 or Extraction Point and is a bad game in general.

NullPointer said:
two weapon limit

That's not far off from what it used to be. Wasn't the original a 3 weapon limit?

Corky

Anyone tried the pc game with a 360 pad? Something tells me I'll be having a more enjoyable time playing with a pad over kbm.

FLEABttn said:
That's not far off from what it used to be. Wasn't the original a 3 weapon limit?
FEAR 2 has a four weapon limit. It also looks and feels so much better its hard to recognize that FEAR 3 is the latest in the series.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I believe this was an IP execution, and I think WB is the one I should blame and not Day 1 Studios( I blame Day 1 for how shitty this game is), because no developer can do what went in the "story" or actually just the ending if not the publisher want to
put an end to the series.

Now I just hope some day in the future, some former members of Monolith Production can honestly tell their thoughts on how horribly WB and Day 1 treated and abused their beloved IP.

FLEABttn

Banned
Totobeni said:
I believe this was an IP execution, and I think WB is the one I should blame and not Day 1 Studios( I blame Day 1 for how shitty this game is), because no developer can do what went in the "story" or actually just the ending if not the publisher want to
put an end to the series.

Now I just hope some day in the future, some former members of Monolith Production can honestly tell their thoughts on how horribly WB and Day 1 treated and abused their beloved IP.

If you're trying to stop making games for a particular IP, it's much cheaper to simply not make a game and ignore all requests for a new one as opposed to purposefully making a shitty game in order to sink a series.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Zeliard said:
FEAR should have never been turned into a regen health cover shooter. It's meant to be the opposite of slow and plodding as all those games are, and yet, here we find ourselves.

Monolith ruined the series entirely when they started heading in that direction. Now they don't even seem to care about FEAR anymore, with the publisher handing the reigns over to Day 1 Studios.

It also means the enemies are no longer even remotely interesting, and A.I. was one of FEAR's hallmarks. Instead of navigating the environments in cool ways, they're content to sit behind cover and stop-and-pop. The level design and the style of gameplay doesn't allow for anything remotely interesting in that area.

My cousins were watching me play FEAR the other day and the first thing they said was "wow you don't even have to stop and heal. It's so fast."

This is a novel thing to kids these days!

Then i leaped down a stairwell blasting 3 guys in slowmo on the way down, turned a corner and dropkicked a straggler in the face and their heads exploded.

FLEABttn said:
If you're trying to stop making games for a particular IP, it's much cheaper to simply not make a game and ignore all requests for a new one as opposed to purposefully making a shitty game in order to sink a series.

Yeah. Besides, why would WB wanna 'execute' FEAR? Is it a money sucking pit that no one buys or something?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
luka said:
My cousins were watching me play FEAR the other day and the first thing they said was "wow you don't even have to stop and heal. It's so fast."

This is a novel thing to kids these days!
I tend to play FEAR 1 slower than I play FEAR 3 because I hate using health packs. Basically a lot of slow-mo, lean, and restarting. I had a stack of 10 packs by the second level.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
SapientWolf said:
I tend to play FEAR 1 slower than I play FEAR 3 because I hate using health packs. Basically a lot of slow-mo, lean, and restarting. I had a stack of 10 packs by the second level.
Really? I play like an absolute maniac in the first game. I never even touch the lean keys.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
FLEABttn said:

Fans will keep requesting a sequel (see Shenmue 3, Mother,HL3 lolz) and developer might ask the publisher to do it ,so by destroying everything they care about in the series, and make it impossible to make a sequel or fix anything then no one will ask about it again...and then just force the original devs to make more Batman games for you since no one will want their old IP anymore after you put poop on it like what happened to Fear Ip. :p

Dr Eggman said:
I request a reboot ;)

By Ninja Theory, Andy Serkis as Alma.

"You don't have Ghosts, you have mechs."

Zeliard

SapientWolf said:

Playing FEAR 1 without slow-mo on Hard is the way to go. :D

So fast and kinetic. You could end up playing it a lot like you would an arena shooter, basically. Lots of fast movement and quick aim against mobile opponents.

Typically in the first FEAR I would enter a room and then a short time later it would be filled with dust and bullets, and ultimately, bodies laying bloody and broken after a short and violent fight. Something straight out of a (good) John Woo film.

luka said:
Really? I play like an absolute maniac in the first game. I never even touch the lean keys.

Yup!

I find that starting a FPS game, even with all the terror stuff in it, with a stage on some south american slum will make the player compare it to the MW2 counter part, which is not very good for fear 3!

Untracked

Frank Jaeger said:
I find that starting a FPS game, even with all the terror stuff in it, with a stage on some south american slum will make the player compare it to the MW2 counter part, which is not very good for fear 3!
Yeah, and I can't wait to play that same level in Max Payne 3 too.

I managed to get through Interval 01 on Insane difficulty without dying tonight. The combat is so slick and brutal, I love it.
I don't like the parts where it forces you to move slowly. The start of the slums level is horrible, where your making your way through the tunnels to the favela but you can't sprint. I get the impression that's just to make game last longer because nothing really happens.
They ruined the story. The last level is such a mess, not sure what Day 1 were thinking there, but it's an awesome shooter IMO and co-op is fantastic.
Roll on F.E.4.R.

Stitch

Gold Member
lol yeah what's up with that slum level? that already wasn't scary in Resident Evil :p

i have to say that shooting in this is more fun than in FEAR 2. the enemies are also not glowing...

but yeah, the stuttering makes me sick. :-/

GrayFoxPL

Stitch said:
lol yeah what's up with that slum level? that already wasn't scary in Resident Evil :p

i have to say that shooting in this is more fun than in FEAR 2. the enemies are also not glowing...

but yeah, the stuttering makes me sick. :-/

You just wait.

You're fucking high if you think F.E.A.R. 2 looks better or plays better than 3 (PC versions, at least).

Gunplay was floaty in 2, they sounded like pea shooters and enemies' reactions to bullet impact was a marked step down from the first. 3 is a massive improvement in every one of those respects. It moves better and it shoots better, and that's what made F.E.A.R. 1.

I haven't gotten far enough into the campaign to make any story calls, but the narrative in both Monolith entries was nothing to write home about either. Some of you seem to confuse the hallucination sequences with story development. If Alma appearing at the bottom of your monitor every two and a half minutes is what defines F.E.A.R. for you, I can understand the disappointment. They've certainly been marginalized in 3, but for me it's not a game or narrative breaker.

Finished.

The game was fun, the story was decent enough and the ending, while not exactly what I was hoping from the series was conclusive enough, even if it does open the door for a 4th game. I enjoyed seeing the backstory of the two brothers evolve.

Gunplay was satisfying, slow-mo felt like a step down from the first two games, enemies were mostly boring fodder (although the creep design was very cool). Visually the game looked decent and had some of the best gore effects I've ever seen in a game, the ghosting was annoying however.

The length was decent, about as long as FEAR 2. I think the second half of the game is a big step up from the first half, which really dragged and seemed very uninspired. Later the environments became more interesting, the set pieces and gun fights improved and the weapon choice opened up.

The A.I was really good, and the difficulty was testing (hardest entry in the series). Music was faithful to the previous games and was a decent overall soundtrack.

The biggest disappointments were the lack of scares and atmosphere and the complete omission of humour (the previous games both had a lot of black-comedy elements and pop culture references, where as this one seemed very hollow and lifeless). Finally the cutscenes and jump to different locations really effected the flow of the game.

I enjoyed FEAR 3 but feel it was the weakest link in a fantastic series. With a little more personality, some genuine scares and more atmosphere to accompany the gunfights this could have been up there with the other two games.

FLEABttn

Banned
Totobeni said:
Fans will keep requesting a sequel (see Shenmue 3, Mother,HL3 lolz) and developer might ask the publisher to do it ,so by destroying everything they care about in the series, and make it impossible to make a sequel or fix anything then no one will ask about it again...and then just force the original devs to make more Batman games for you since no one will want their old IP anymore after you put poop on it like what happened to Fear Ip. :p

Or, you could do this:

Monolith: We want to make a new FEAR game, will you fund it?
Warner Bros: No.

It's really not hard.

RedStep

Having a fucking blast with this.

For reference, I've played every F.E.A.R. game/expansion to this point.

It's less "scary" than the other ones, but I never really thought the other ones were particularly scary, so I'm glad to see the focus moved away from the attempt.

MP is nuts and awesome. I've played through the story on Fearless (2nd-hardest difficulty) in co-op, Insane is next. We've had a great time. The scoring system is a great add, it gets you going back to the campaign (as does the two-character system). I never had much of a reason to go back to the other ones. This adds considerably to the value of this game.

I prefer to judge a game based on its own merits rather than what came before. FEAR 3 isn't the same as its predecessor, but it's just as good. For the record, I also like Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction (and their predecessors as well).

Think of Alien vs. Aliens. Same series, two completely different genres, two excellent movies. Why do things have to stay the same?

Jaroof

To everyone who's gonna play through this game, or those who are having doubts:

Play through the campaign coop.

I played through the campaign with my brother and had a great time with it. Almost as much fun as we did going through Resident Evil 5.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the same experience if I played it alone.

Corky

Stitch said:

are you sure it's not the stuttering bug? i get 75fps with v-sync but the game performs like it's running with sub-20fps.

add horrible ghosting, motionblur, DOF, narrow FOV and ugly textures and you get the FEAR 3 PC port.

multiplayer also seems to be broken. people can't find any games lol. good work Day 1

Gaaah.. I think you were right, it felt like the game was running at 15fps but fraps shows a messy unstable 50-60 but 50 to 60 nonetheless. So I guess I'll be playing this when it gets patched or something because for the first time in my 20+ years of playing videogames I actually got motionsick from all of those combinations, dof/fov/stuttering...

FGMPR

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Has anyone on the PC been able to ever find a quick match under multiplayer? Even when I set the options to "any mode, any difficulty", right after pressing quick match it says no matches found.

OK, the game just unlocked in Aus and I'm getting this error. This post was 5 days ago and they still haven't fixed what is essentially the majority of their game?

How can you launch a game with such a massive, game limiting bug? and why the fuck has it not been fixed yet?

This is Bullshit. Absolute wank.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Corky said:
Gaaah.. I think you were right, it felt like the game was running at 15fps but fraps shows a messy unstable 50-60 but 50 to 60 nonetheless. So I guess I'll be playing this when it gets patched or something because for the first time in my 20+ years of playing videogames I actually got motionsick from all of those combinations, dof/fov/stuttering...

Exact same problem here, I can only manage around 30 minutes of playing before the combination of stuttering and really low FOV makes my head fuzzy.

Really annoying that my game is running at near enough a constant 60 FPS but it feels like it is running sub 20.

G0DLIKE

Just got the game for PC and noticed the stutter bug within seconds. I can't play it like this.

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/1047951-fear-3-stuttering-10.html

Originally Posted by Reloaded83 @ overclock.net

Yeah. I posted on the Fear forums and one of the devs PM'd me there asking if I wanted to test out a beta patch they had to fix the problem. I said sure, and they e-mailed me a beta to test out and see if it fixed my problem. Well, it did! So I e-mailed them back to let them know. Hopefully it means it'll fix other people's problems with the stuttering and they'll release it sometime soon.

This seems legit. Here's hoping.

Corky

G0DLIKE said:
Just got the game for PC and noticed the stutter bug within seconds. I can't play it like this.

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/1047951-fear-3-stuttering-10.html

Originally Posted by Reloaded83 @ overclock.net

This seems legit. Here's hoping.

Good on them, feels like this kind of back and forth between the devs and community that result in increasing the quality of their game is becoming more and more rare.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I am playing through the first FEAR, and the level design is horrid!

I'm on Interval Five, and I'm stuck in some endless maze of corridors and tiny offices, and I don't know where to go.
Totally with you. FEAR always seems to get a lot of love, but I'll never for the life of me understand WHY. The game is a snooze fest. Some of the worst level design I've encountered in a modern FPS along with ugly visual design.

The whole FEAR series is just painfully average all around.

Moofers

dark10x said:
The whole FEAR series is just painfully average all around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doYLEVce_s8#t=7s

Onto my impressions:

I've finished F3 with Point Man and am working on Fettel. Its hard to get over my high expectations for this game and accept it for what it is, which is a mild Call of Duty clone with some neat sections scattered about. Granted, I haven't touched multiplayer AT ALL and I've heard great things about it, but I wanted to play through story alone first so I could experience the story without somebody talking in my ear.

Playing solo, there's definitely fun to be had here, I just wish it was scarier. In both FEAR and especially FEAR 2, there were times when I was paralyzed with fear and had to gather up courage to press on. In F3, that's never the case. That's the biggest heart-breaker for me. I'm also not wild about some of the decisions they made with where to take the story. I really think they wasted their money consulting John Carpenter or Wes Craven or whoever they had help write.

Oh well. Still fun to be had here and like i said, I've got to get into the multiplayer.

dark10x

Stitch said:
Amazing firefights with good AI
The firefights were spoiled by ugly weapon models, poor first person view movement, and poor animation of those models. Simply walking around and firing your weapon felt unpleasant. That's a pretty big issue for me.

When you combine that with the level design it becomes a tough sell. The level design is SO bad in FEAR that it makes The Library in Halo 1 seem like a shining beacon of varied level design. It's just a constant slog through ugly, boring, squared off rooms and a huge departure from anything Monolith had previously released.

The AI was solid, but that along isn't enough to save the rest of the game.

I enjoyed FEAR 2 much more as a result. The AI was inferior, but everything else was 100x better though still ultimately too repetitive for my tastes.

Stitch

Gold Member
FEAR 2 was mediocre.
Ugly HUD, almost every weapon feels weak(what did they do to the godlike shotgun?? both shotguns in FEAR 2 SUCK!), glowing enemies, stupid long Mech parts, retarded AI, really dumb physics, firefights looked worse (less dust, less sparks, no huge bullet decals). Blood also looked weird, almost comic-like. Actually, the whole game looks cartoony.

But hey, you now have a shitty cover system and iron sights.
Sure, weapons also looked nicer and the environment was more varied but that's not why I'm playing a FEAR game...

Monolith said they wanted that every firefight in the game feels like the tea house shootout in Hard-Boiled and i think they really nailed it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZxeq-9SmKw
sooo good

Zenith

Banned
dark10x said:
The firefights were spoiled by ugly weapon models, poor first person view movement, and poor animation of those models. Simply walking around and firing your weapon felt unpleasant. That's a pretty big issue for me.

Ugly weapon models? I'm indifferent to FEAR 2's but I thought FEAR 1's were pretty good. They match the real-world weapons they're based on. FEAR 1 was also one of the first games that let you see your legs when you walked down. Again, can't remember if FEAR 2 had that.

dark10x

Zenith said:
Ugly weapon models? I'm indifferent to FEAR 2's but I thought FEAR 1's were pretty good. They match the real-world weapons they're based on. FEAR 1 was also one of the first games that let you see your legs when you walked down. Again, can't remember if FEAR 2 had that.
Yeah, the weapon and hand models were ugly and poorly animated. They lacked any sort of weight and just felt terrible while actually moving around. Viewing your legs doesn't make a difference when it looks so poor.

One of the worst attempts at first person immersion.

AwRy108

Jaroof said:
I played through the campaign with my brother and had a great time with it. Almost as much fun as we did going through Resident Evil 5.

Pretty lousy sales pitch, def. not making me want the game.

dark10x

AwRy108 said:
Pretty lousy sales pitch, def. not making me want the game.
Really? RE5 was one of my favorite CO-OP experiences ever. Right up there with System Shock 2, in fact.

I played through the game twice with two different people in the same room each with our own display.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
FEAR 1 weapon models were the ugliest shit, even in their time. The game came out a year after HL2 and it's models looked so much better.

FLEABttn

Banned
Stallion Free said:
FEAR 1 weapon models were the ugliest shit, even in their time. The game came out a year after HL2 and it's models looked so much better.

I disagree. I put on my 2005 hat and recall Far Cry and Half Life 2 and that's it. At worst, FEAR 1 was in line with what everyone else was basically doing. At best, third from the top.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
FLEABttn said:
I disagree. I put on my 2005 hat and recall Far Cry and Half Life 2 and that's it. At worst, FEAR 1 was in line with what everyone else was basically doing. At best, third from the top.
Nah, they were poorly textured and ridiculously bump mapped, There were tons of games prior whose weapons were better looking because of that. Battlefield Vietnam, UT2004, Call of Duty, etc.

Stallion Free said:
Nah, they were poorly textured and ridiculously bump mapped, There were tons of games prior whose weapons were better looking because of that. Battlefield Vietnam, UT2004, Call of Duty, etc.

Ugh, frankly all those games you listed had shit modeling, they simply had nicer texturing. FEAR 1's models were fine, but lacked any real identity and texture.

dark10x

FLEABttn said:
Far Cry, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and even console games like Halo 2 provided much nicer looking gun models.

Still, the models themselves only represent a portion of the problem. The other major issue is the way the view moves and the jerky way in which things are animated. It simply doesn't FEEL good to play.

dark10x said:
Far Cry, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and even console games like Halo 2 provided much nicer looking gun models.

Still, the models themselves only represent a portion of the problem. The other major issue is the way the view moves and the jerky way in which things are animated. It simply doesn't FEEL good to play.

Simply have to disagree with every single thing said. FEAR 1 felt great and the weapons looked much better than most of those games outside of some of HL2's. Doom 3?! Hell naw.

The kick and animation of the FEAR 1 weapons was great, the floaty body parts though were not that nice especially with the close combat animations, which was really awful looking in MP especially. The rifle in FEAR 1 especially was great with the shell casings, bolt animation, and the destructive effects really gave the weapons a great meaty feel that few games were able to match.

Top Bottom