• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 3 (F3AR) |OT| Sibling Rivalry

Zeliard

BattleMonkey said:
Simply have to disagree with every single thing said. FEAR 1 felt great and the weapons looked much better than most of those games outside of some of HL2's. Doom 3?! Hell naw.

The kick and animation of the FEAR 1 weapons was great, the floaty body parts though were not that nice especially with the close combat animations, which was really awful looking in MP especially. The rifle in FEAR 1 especially was great with the shell casings, bolt animation, and the destructive effects really gave the weapons a great meaty feel that few games were able to match.

Yep. Feels like he played a different game entirely, heh. FEAR's gunplay felt ferocious in a way that its sequels and really no other game has been able to match.

It's getting better (halfway through I guess). The bit were you
go through the meat freezer with all the hanging half cows
never gets old

The story, although kinda meh is actually a lot more engaging than the previous entries on the series.

Nevertheless, I can't find the disposition to redo an interval with Fettel

And speaking of weapon designs, I really dislike the shotgun one!

Untracked

I managed to finish F3AR on Insane but that last level was horrendous. The part where
you have to destroy the memories, but you're health doesn't recharge when the monster hits you
. I got through it but I was raging hard, so cheap. Otherwise, I found the whole game to be much more challenging and enjoyable on Insane.
Had a lot of fun with it.

ArjanN

FLEABttn said:
I've been kind of bored so I figure I'll give this a go and hope for the best.

Overall I thought it was OK, not as good as FEAR 1 and 2. About at the level of the FEAR 1 expansions. Most of the levels feel like they drag on a bit in single-player because the amount of enemies seems balanced for playing co-op.

Moofers

I wanted to come back in here and say that Fucking Run! is a LOT of fun. I just spent the last hour or so playing it with random people on PSN and had a blast. Made 2 new friends and found my new co-op game of choice!

If you haven't played it, its like a hybrid of Left 4 Dead and Gears of War Horde Mode. You get sections of map to shoot your way through while being chased by a giant wall of death, with safety zones spread along the way for you to get new ammo/weapons. Its soo fun. Best of all, it forces teamwork because if one player goes down and is devoured by the wall, its game over for everybody. So you all have to watch each other's backs.

Should the wall start closing in on you, your screen starts pulsing and booming, adding to the tension and giving you this real "I gotta get the fuck outta here!" feeling. Great stuff. Some of the best moments have been reviving downed teammates while the wall is just a few feet away.

Anyway, I'll be on PSN sporadically so if anyone wants to add me for some Fucking Run!, my PSN handle is unoillnino

Stitch

Gold Member
PC Patch is being uploaded to the Steam Server right now

Issues addressed in this patch:

- Stuttering and jerky movement at frame rates above 30 fps is fixed!
- Steam voice communication "push-to-talk" option is now fully supported.
- 4-player voice chat should no longer have audio drop-outs.
- A rare bug that would cause enemies to stop spawning in Contractions is now fixed.
- The game will now prefer Steam cloud storage over local file system storage.
- Network connection reliability has been improved.
- Support for wider than 16x9 aspect ratio displays has been added to support users with non-standard display devices and spanned multi-monitor displays like AMD Eyefinity and NVIDIA Surround.

An "options.cfg" file has been added to the F.E.A.R. 3 install directory for advanced user customization and troubleshooting. Included in this file are options to extend the FOV on narrow aspect ratio displays, reduce or remove motion blur, and to override driver-default settings for full-screen refresh rate, overscan, letterboxing, etc.

Patch has issues. :(

You deserve to hear it from me first. The patch just got rolled back. We got some reports that rank and profile information was reset after playing with the patch and we're not taking any chances. I'll update more when I know more.

Khal_B

I actually enjoyed my playthrough the game, though I found that the scares weren't a really big part of the game. More action oriented than anything.

I also disliked where they took the story, it had no real conclusive end imo and left some big questions unanswered, but i guess that was deliberate to make way for the inevitable sequel.

Stitch

Gold Member
nextgeneration said:
Patch has issues. :(
yeah, this sucks... :(

played a bit, everything worked fine. now it just patched itself back to the old broken version :(

the AI is great in this, much better than the morons in FEAR 2.

The new patch works great! Blur is gone, no more jitters, editable FOV. Everything's silky smooth now on my system. The only thing that doesn't work for me is crossfire, but regardless, I'm still getting above 60 fps with just one gpu, so I can't really complain.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
nextgeneration said:
The new patch works great! Blur is gone, no more jitters, editable FOV. Everything's silky smooth now on my system. The only thing that doesn't work for me is crossfire, but regardless, I'm still getting above 60 fps with just one gpu, so I can't really complain.
Is it still eating profiles? Might be best to save a backup JIC.

I just realized that I completely stopped my first Fear 1 playthrough when I picked up Fear 3. That's probably the highest praise I can give it. The games might as well be from two separate franchises though.

SapientWolf said:
Is it still eating profiles? Might be best to save a backup JIC.

I just realized that I completely stopped my first Fear 1 playthrough when I picked up Fear 3. That's probably the highest praise I can give it. The games might as well be from two separate franchises though.

Nope, mine is fine and from what I've been reading, this updated patch seems to be good. And yeah, Fear 3 feels completely different from Fear 1. I personally prefer the first one still, but what little I've played of 3, it seems fairly decent thus far.

pelican

Played the first co-op game on xbl last night.

As long as each player has played the level before little communication is needed to blast though it. Which is good as I only like chatting to my mates on xbl. The only difficulty from that arises if you want to specifically target certain challenges such as PM shooting elevated enemies.

This also meant it was the first time for me to play as Fettel and I really liked it. Makes the game feel different and his core combat abilities are pretty cool. Combined with the fact that you can possess enemy troops adds to the fun.

It is a shame that the game doesn't have the ability to play the game as Fettel with a bot controlling PM.

As a fan of FEAR, and FEAR 2 this does slightly disappoint as it is a change in direction. However it is a solid experience and I am glad it exists.

pfft to all the FEAR haters. Especially towards FEAR2 that was awesome:)

pelican

Untracked said:
I managed to finish F3AR on Insane but that last level was horrendous. The part where
you have to destroy the memories, but you're health doesn't recharge when the monster hits you
. I got through it but I was raging hard, so cheap. Otherwise, I found the whole game to be much more challenging and enjoyable on Insane.
Had a lot of fun with it.

Maybe do the last section on co-op? Ive yet to finish the SP so I dunno how that would fit in with the last stages of the game.

FLEABttn

Banned
I'm half-way through the game now. It's not bad per se, but it doesn't feel a ton like the games before it. The scares are similar, but the gunplay is definitely different and I frankly don't like how the story is told. The cutscenes feel out of place and unneeded, they gave the pointman a face but I'm not sure why because that didn't accomplish anything, and they've neutered Paxton Fettel's character. It's just not really FEAR.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Well, I finally got around to playing this, and what can I say: I hated every moment. Granted, it wasn't a terrible game, but as a huge huge fan of the original game it was like watching something I love being raped and mutilated, and I being the enabler. What an absolute clusterfuck - the pacing and scares in the first two games seem positively Hitchcockian in comparison. The scares were so bad here that I was actually laughing at some of them. Despite FEAR 2 being a far easier game, that one hallway in the elementary school (you know the one) made me a hundred times more unnerved than anything Day 1 conjured up.
The story was a creatively bankrupt mess, content in doing nothing but recycling old characters and plot elements in ridiculous ways. You learned nothing new or interesting about the backstory or any of the characters, it just regurgitated things we already knew from the old games and things we didn't need to see.

The encounter design is simply braindead and constantly resorts to just throwing dozens of mindless enemies at you in waves as it's the only way for it to create challenge. Like FEAR's lean keys, I ended up never using the cover system at all, just popping out, triggering slowmo and nailing headshots. It made no difference though, given how little damage you can take it makes playing in the frantic, aggressive way you could tackle the first game impossible. It wasn't hard, it just felt restricting and tedious. It's a competent CoD clone, but a pathetic FEAR sequel.

People said this was short. It felt plenty long to me, but I probably just wanted it to end. It didn't have FEAR mechanics or encounter design, it didn't have the finely tuned and methodical pacing and scares, it didn't have any of Monolith's trademark humor...and they turned the point man into an angry hobo! (It also seemed really weird having the game constantly refer to him as "the point man" like they didn't even try to think of something better to call him. Is he even with FEAR anymore? And why does Beckett get a voice while Mr. Point Man remains mute?)

I did expect all of this of course, but that really doesn't make the hurting stop. It was just morbid curiosity to witness the death throes of one of my favorite series. Now I must try to wipe the experience from my mind and banish this game to the non-canonical void alongside the FEAR expansion packs.

And the shotgun looks duuumb.

eshwaaz

luka said:
Well, I finally got around to playing this, and what can I say: I hated every moment. Granted, it wasn't a terrible game, but as a huge huge fan of the original game it was like watching something I love being raped and mutilated, and I being the enabler. What an absolute clusterfuck - the pacing and scares in the first two games seem positively Hitchcockian in comparison. The scares were so bad here that I was actually laughing at some of them. Despite FEAR 2 being a far easier game, that one hallway in the elementary school (you know the one) made me a hundred times more unnerved than anything Day 1 conjured up.
The story was a creatively bankrupt mess, content in doing nothing but recycling old characters and plot elements in ridiculous ways. You learned nothing new or interesting about the backstory or any of the characters, it just regurgitated things we already knew from the old games and things we didn't need to see.

The encounter design is simply braindead and constantly resorts to just throwing dozens of mindless enemies at you in waves as it's the only way for it to create challenge. Like FEAR's lean keys, I ended up never using the cover system at all, just popping out, triggering slowmo and nailing headshots. It made no difference though, given how little damage you can take it makes playing in the frantic, aggressive way you could tackle the first game impossible. It wasn't hard, it just felt restricting and tedious. It's a competent CoD clone, but a pathetic FEAR sequel.

People said this was short. It felt plenty long to me, but I probably just wanted it to end. It didn't have FEAR mechanics or encounter design, it didn't have the finely tuned and methodical pacing and scares, it didn't have any of Monolith's trademark humor...and they turned the point man into an angry hobo! (It also seemed really weird having the game constantly refer to him as "the point man" like they didn't even try to think of something better to call him. Is he even with FEAR anymore? And why does Beckett get a voice while Mr. Point Man remains mute?)

I did expect all of this of course, but that really doesn't make the hurting stop. It was just morbid curiosity to witness the death throes of one of my favorite series. Now I must try to wipe the experience from my mind and banish this game to the non-canonical void alongside the FEAR expansion packs.

And the shotgun looks duuumb.
Finished it last night, and I feel exactly the same way. The fact that Monolith was not involved with the development is apparent at every turn - this is a FEAR game in name only. It's not scary or unsettling in the least, and combat lacks the power and impact of the previous games. Canned death animations make most shotgun kills predictable and unsatisfying. I used to love unloading the shotgun on an airborne enemy on slow-mo, their bodies reacting to each shot, but that doesn't happen here. They get locked into their canned deaths; additional shots have no effect.

The focus on co-op compromised the single player experience in very noticeable ways, particularly in terms of level layout and difficulty balancing, which irks me to no end. The partnership of Point Man and Fettel feels utterly contrived and manufactured.

It's clear Day 1 has only a superficial understanding of what made the FEAR games so enjoyable. I have to wonder how Monolith feels about this product.

bumpkin

Hmm... I'm not sure if this has been answered, but is it possible to start a co-op play through offline and continue it online with the same friend/gamertag?

FLEABttn

Banned
eshwaaz said:
It's clear Day 1 has only a superficial understanding of what made the FEAR games so enjoyable.

This. I'm selling it back because I'll never want to play it again, unlike the first FEAR where I run through it every 12 or 18 months.

The MP portion of FEAR 3 I think is really solid, so it kind of feels like a waste for it to be stuck in FEAR 3.

Untracked

FLEABttn said:
The MP portion of FEAR 3 I think is really solid, so it kind of feels like a waste for it to be stuck in FEAR 3.
Totally agree.
Multiplayer is great.
I just finished all 20 waves of Contractions with 2 buddies and it was easily one of the most intense co-op experiences I've had. The only thing I've played which was more intense was the "Endure" Achievement on Halo 3: ODST.

Final wave was a nightmare!
One BIG mech, two wall-hacking phase commanders, rocket dudes, regular soldiers and what felt like several hundred suicide hobos... I can't believe we did it.
Shit was awesome!

IRL Fucking Run!

fuckingrun.gif

Arizona monsoon for ya...

Seventy5

Gamestop has this new for $40 this week, used for $31 with a powerup card. I got to play a bit of the campaign, seems decent so far, and the gunplay feels really solid. I also played some Contractions, which is a cool twist on Zombies that I can see myself playing for a while. Fucking Run though, amazingly fun. I can't wait to play this later, if anyone on PSN plays this (and has a mic) add me.

eshwaaz said:
Finished it last night, and I feel exactly the same way. The fact that Monolith was not involved with the development is apparent at every turn - this is a FEAR game in name only. It's not scary or unsettling in the least, and combat lacks the power and impact of the previous games. Canned death animations make most shotgun kills predictable and unsatisfying. I used to love unloading the shotgun on an airborne enemy on slow-mo, their bodies reacting to each shot, but that doesn't happen here. They get locked into their canned deaths; additional shots have no effect.

The focus on co-op compromised the single player experience in very noticeable ways, particularly in terms of level layout and difficulty balancing, which irks me to no end. The partnership of Point Man and Fettel feels utterly contrived and manufactured.

It's clear Day 1 has only a superficial understanding of what made the FEAR games so enjoyable. I have to wonder how Monolith feels about this product.

My guess is that they don't give a shit because they are to busy making Batman: Imposters. That being said, they may also share WBGames feelings on the game, which believe it or not, are quite good given the reception this game has gotten.

Moofers

All the hate on this game is confusing to me. I get that the single-player campaign ISN'T scary and that's a turn-off for a lot of people (myself included) but the co-op through it is fun and tries some new things, so I think it evens out. Then you've got the multiplayer that I think is just a total blast. I can't stop playing Contractions and Fucking Run!

I'm on like every night before bed and all day long I look forward to it. That's all you can want from a game, IMO. Nitpicking over gun models and frames per second and shit is stupid. The game is fun, I'm glad I have it, I hope more people get it. It took me a bit to get over the fact that its not exactly the FEAR game I wanted (scary single-player experience) but what's there is great.

eshwaaz

Moofers said:
All the hate on this game is confusing to me. I get that the single-player campaign ISN'T scary and that's a turn-off for a lot of people (myself included) but the co-op through it is fun and tries some new things, so I think it evens out. Then you've got the multiplayer that I think is just a total blast. I can't stop playing Contractions and Fucking Run!

I'm on like every night before bed and all day long I look forward to it. That's all you can want from a game, IMO. Nitpicking over gun models and frames per second and shit is stupid. The game is fun, I'm glad I have it, I hope more people get it. It took me a bit to get over the fact that its not exactly the FEAR game I wanted (scary single-player experience) but what's there is great.
Some people, like myself, have no interest in multiplayer. Taken as a single player experience only, FEAR 3 is disappointing and totally forgettable. Glad the other modes are more enjoyable for you, but they're not what I bought this game (or the other FEAR games) for.

I've only played for 2 or 3 hours, but here's my impression anyway...

First 2 intervals were boring as fuck. Typical corridor shooter level design with uninspired settings. The scares were either dull or stupid. I'd like to give an example but that would be a spoiler and I don't know how to hide my text. I am currently in the 3rd interval right now and while the levels design still feel incredibly linear, I started to enjoy the experience.

The shooting mechanic that was so enjoyable in F.E.A.R. does not exist anymore. Particles are kept to a minimum, dust is like a special guest and the shooting feels weak. Canned death animation is a huge problem, as it completely eliminate the sense of weight you had while hitting an enemy with your bullet.

I didn't like fear 2 as much as I liked fear 1. Part of it was the schizophrenic story, but my main problem was the gameplay. The gunplay wasn't on par with fear 1. It was "louder" than fear 1, but without all the bells and whistles. Kinda felt fake. That said, I think fear 2 had better gunplay than fear 3. It's like in fear 3 they completely forgot that the firefights were a huge part of fear's success. Fear 2 feels downgraded. Fear 3 feels abandoned.

I've yet to play the multiplayer, but I've heard it's incredibly exciting and "unique" so I'll definitely have to check it out. And I'm not giving up on the single player either. I just wish I could figure out how to complete the damn interval.

CozMick

Banned
I haven't followed this game since it was first announced but today I stumbled upon a video on Youtube called "Survival online gameplay".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGEKI1aitV0

Now being a CoD: Zombies addict I find myself getting goosebumps watching this video.

Is it basically Zombies but with marines that shoot back and are there endless waves?

Thanks.

CozMick said:
I haven't followed this game since it was first announced but today I stumbled upon a video on Youtube called "Survival online gameplay".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGEKI1aitV0

Now being a CoD: Zombies addict I find myself getting goosebumps watching this video.

Is it basically Zombies but with marines that shoot back and are there endless waves?

Thanks.

that video tells you pretty much everything you need to know about contractions. you defend an area from various enemies and gather supplies in between rounds to get more weapons and ammo.

as a CoD zombie fanatic i think it's a fun take on the horde formula.

I've only played a couple hours but I like what I've played so far. I quit right at the start of Interval 3. A buddy was raving about the co-op last week so I marathonned 1 (360), then 2 (steam), and now 3 (360).

It's interesting to rapidly play a series that launched so long ago from start to finish. The biggest change I noticed between F.E.A.R. 1 and 2, and which carries over into 3, is that the gunfights are not so lethal in real-time anymore. In F.E.A.R. 1, you almost HAD to use slo-mo or you were done. The fights seemed designed for slo-mo, and enemies were very hard to track. Also, the low-lighting situation in F.E.A.R. 1 allowed your muzzle flash to provide the key light in many firefights. Sparks and dust often lingered for several seconds once the action was over, too.

I haven't noticed any of those design sensibilities carrying over in 3, so far. But to be fair most of these were already lost or subdued in F.E.A.R. 2, as far as I could tell (and I played that on a jacked up PC). What feels unique to 3 is the lethality of the AI; there are simply more enemies, yes, but I kind of like that. I like scrounging for ammo and flashing red all the time. And they seem at least as smart as the enemies in 2.

All I can say for now is that what I've played of F.E.A.R. 3 has been fun, despite the changes. Slo-mo remains fun and hilarious. Looking forward to finishing the campaign and playing some co-op campaign + contractions.

CozMick

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
that video tells you pretty much everything you need to know about contractions. you defend an area from various enemies and gather supplies in between rounds to get more weapons and ammo.

as a CoD zombie fanatic i think it's a fun take on the horde formula.

Hey that's good to know, thanks. sounds fun.

So are the waves endless ala zombies or do you eventually reach the end?

Flunkie

Banned
So I just finished FEAR 2 and immediately started Reborn. Reborn within itself is better than most of 2, even as short as it was. Probably better than 3 too - going to wait til its $5 in a Steam Sale before I touch it, from the attitudes in this thread. May be a blessing, as I've got one huge backlog.

Poor FEAR. The first one was amazing. What happened?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
SapientWolf said:
Yeah, it was patched. But the patch might delete your profile. So it has to be backed up in another folder outside of Steam.

Cool, it's all good for me since I don't think I have my profile left from the uninstall. Will have to reinstall this soon now since I rreally wanted to give the game a go but the whole stuttering + bad performance got on my nerves.

Ive got the PC version of this. AI seems interesting, but man does it ever seem dull and by the numbers. Does it get better soon? only on the second chapter. Graphics seem decent, but a 2011 game with everything maxed out should look better than "decent".

Snowballo

Got the game yesterday.
Low expectations.
Played 2 chapters, hard difficulty level.

Am I the only one there that thinks that the gunplay of this game is great compared to the other much more famous FPS? I'm enjoying this game a lot, evenif I don't know much about the series and it doesn't scare me at all... :)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Snowballo said:
Got the game yesterday.
Low expectations.

Am I the only one there that thinks that the gunplay of this game is great compared to the other much more famous FPS? I'm enjoying this game a lot, evenif I don't know much about the series and it doesn't scare me at all... :)
The gunplay lives up to the FEAR name. FEAR 1 somehow still has better graphics though.

Snowballo said:
Got the game yesterday.
Low expectations.

The gunplay can be fine, and would've gained a ton more acceptance here were this not a sequel to FEAR (/2). But it is, and rather than treat a series people enjoyed with reverence, the developers stole concepts from popular shooters, shoehorned them into a score-based stop-and-pop shooter, and completely forgot why people cared an iota about FEAR to begin with. Plainly: they missed the damn point.

WB did not buy Monolith to make Gotham City Impostors for 4 years, so I hope whatever they've been doing (new NOLF?) was worth the death of their only franchise with any remaining traction .

Snowballo

So considering the three chapters how good are the first 2 compared to Fear 3? Would you rate them for me please? Thanks.

NinjaBoiX

Finished FEAR recently, man, navigation in that game is a chore. Nearly every level I found myself getting turned around or some shit. I enjoyed it in hindsight. Playing FEAR 2 now, much improved in my opinion. Better graphics, obviously, more varied level design, iron sights, better sound effects, they were a little weird in FEAR on Xbox. Will grab F3AR, urgh that name, in a bargain bin. Plus, a short campaign is good for me if there are two perspectives.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SapientWolf said:
The gunplay lives up to the FEAR name. FEAR 1 somehow still has better graphics though.

PC exclusivity.

Edit: I am aware the was also game released on the HD twins, but the X360 port was a year later while the PS3 port didn't show its face until Q2 2007, and both were handled by Day 1.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
can somebody tell me how does coop works for this? I'm interested in death penalty. How does it work? Can both players die?

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I just picked this up on sale at best buy for PS3 and I'm a little annoyed. Everytime I try to host a game online it freezes without fail. Is this a problem with specific PS3's? I have a 250 slim model.

Top Bottom