• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
jlevel13 said:
do we have an idea when to expect this game to unlock on steam?

Says on the steam store page for the game

This game will unlock in approximately 3 days and 20 hours

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Dilly said:
The only thing we can simulate right now are the driving techniques, the stress on the body when driving an F1 car makes it much more challenging.

I've played sims for years (I think I was 14 when I bought my wheel and played the LFS demo) and I'm considerably faster in karting than my friends.

Hammond lacked the racing technique, the engineer pointed out his faulty brake technique. When my friends play a race sim on my PC, they also brake the wrong way even though for me it feels natural.

I genuinly think sims can improve your driving style, they just won't make you a competitive F1 racer. :)
Great, you better be driving the HRT with extra lead in the ballast when you race online!

On a more serious note, you're correct, driving and racing are two distinct things. A good driver (And Richard Hammond is a good driver) is not always a good racer as the two require completely different skills.

Juicy Bob said:
Maybe it sounds weird because there's no commentator to say 'AND VETTEL'S HIT _______!"
*taboomtish*

NHale

Leunam said:
From what I remember, it was exactly that. Pretty much nothing Codemasters could do about it.

If that was true, why did they already said they are trying to put 24 cars in F1 2011 multiplayer? :lol

This is the "Safety car" issue once again, they blame the license but then they say "we didn't had time to put it in this year..."

AcridMeat

Banned
Hey everyone, glad to see enthusiasm for the Championship idea. Unfortunately this one is for PC. Here is the list of people I have so far:

1-D_FTW
Animal
Foliorum Viridum
AcridMeat
TylerD
Leunam
Frawdder
Stop It
Lucius86

As for the timezones/scheduling, I was thinking we would figure out a time that works for all of us from race to race. We could have a set schedule for practices on Fridays or something as those aren't as important since you can just practice whichever GP we are on that weekend on your own time.

If we were to schedule races in the morning I would prefer it to be around 9am Pacific if it is on the weekend. But as I said we should figure that stuff out from race to race.

As for figuring out teams, I was thinking once we know for sure who our 12 is we'll finalize those. Maybe if you guys could list your preferred teams (top 3) we can get a sense of how it will work out.

For me I think it'll be Renault, Sauber, Force India.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
AcridMeat said:
Hey everyone, glad to see enthusiasm for the Championship idea. Unfortunately this one is for PC. Here is the list of people I have so far:

1-D_FTW
Animal
Foliorum Viridum
AcridMeat
TylerD
Leunam
Frawdder
Stop It
Lucius86

As for the timezones/scheduling, I was thinking we would figure out a time that works for all of us from race to race. We could have a set schedule for practices on Fridays or something as those aren't as important since you can just practice whichever GP we are on that weekend on your own time.

If we were to schedule races in the morning I would prefer it to be around 9am Pacific if it is on the weekend. But as I said we should figure that stuff out from race to race.

As for figuring out teams, I was thinking once we know for sure who our 12 is we'll finalize those. Maybe if you guys could list your preferred teams (top 3) we can get a sense of how it will work out.

For me I think it'll be Renault, Sauber, Force India.

Well, if I was able to participate (I hope so), my 3 teams I would like to use would be the following:

McLaren (Jenson Button)
Force India (Adrian Sutil)
Virgin Racing (Timo Glock).

Seanspeed

Banned
seattle6418 said:
I´m just sad that this game appears to be far behind what Toca Race Driver 3 did in terms of realism.
What *did* TOCA 3 do in terms of realism?

Seems to me that game's best attribute was the variety of cars and tracks available. Physics were kinda crap, though, and the AI was simply atrocious.

1-D_FTW

TylerD said:
If you have Dirt 2 what kind of frame rate were you getting on the benchmark with the dual core? I may be picking up a 1 GB GTX460 to replace my HD 4850 and I only have a dual core (E8500).

I have read that if you overclock the E8500 to 3.6 ghz that you should be great and still just fine at 3.16 ghz with the 460.

I will check on steam when I get home later tonight. Since I am in the US, I really don't have any problem with trying to be much more accommodating to UK/Euro gaf since you guys will likely make up the bulk of the grid. I would think that 10am CST would be fine for Saturday qualification runs then race an hour or two later. That is just a general preference to me though.

I don't remember exactly what I was getting. I benched at 1920*1080 and 1600*1200 and in Windows 7 with everything on max (except for AA on 4X), I wasn't getting 60fps. I was running an e6750 and never really pushed it that hard. I think when I had it aroung 3.2ghz, it was mid to upper 50s for average framerate. I'm not sure there was much of a difference between those two resolutions. Had I opted to push to 3.6, it might have been perfectly fine.

Just ran the benchmark and at 1600*1200 with D3Doverrider enforcing triple buffering v-sync at 65fps, my benchmark average was 64.8:) That was running my new Q9400 at stock 2.66hz and the gtx 460 at stock speeds. Seeing the water deform without slowdown was glorious. I'll get to overclocking later.

This wasn't the only game I upgraded for, it just seems like every game/demo I try lately plays better with quad core. Seeing that German benchmark with the difference (I presume) between cores was just the final straw to get me to purchase one.

Massa

NHale said:
If that was true, why did they already said they are trying to put 24 cars in F1 2011 multiplayer? :lol

I wouldn't be surprised if the FIA didn't allow online team mates on a 12p game to avoid the top teams being the only ones people played online. On a 24p game all the teams are played so it doesn't matter.

1-D_FTW

It doesn't matter, does it? I can't imagine they'd be crazy enough to make people have any competitive advantages with cars/teams. At least I hope not.

Shaneus

evlcookie said:
Oh man the game is unlocked like 3 days later for aussies? Price rise and now this :(
Fucking seriously? Fucking fuck.

Might be different if you're getting it gifted, though... but damn. Three day wait for activation? Cunts.

Anyone know if there's a way to get around this?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nabs said:
Come to the dark side... the wonderful world of Steam. It's still on sale

FAKE EDIT:

No fucking way I'm paying €42 on Steam Italy's shop...
what a fucking robbery...

--
Uhmm...
After I'm done with the d/l, will I be able to play it forever offline or do I have to at least log-in every time? Sorry for the newby question but my last pc-game (and meet-up with Steam) was with... Half Life 2 back in the day :lol
I'm asking this because I can do the download no prb but after that I'll be hooking up my new rig forever in my home cinema room where I have some *serious* bandwith caps and getting online there it's just a bummer.
--

Leunam

AcridMeat said:
Maybe if you guys could list your preferred teams (top 3) we can get a sense of how it will work out.

I'm going to go with Sauber (Kobayashi), Toro Rosso (Algersuari), and Mercedes (Schumacher).

jlevel13

Dash Kappei said:
Uhmm...
After I'm done with the d/l, will I be able to play it forever offline or do I have to at least log-in every time? Sorry for the newby question but my last pc-game (and meet-up with Steam) was with... Half Life 2 back in the day :lol
I'm asking this because I can do the download no prb but after that I'll be hooking up my new rig forever in my home cinema room where I have some *serious* bandwith caps and getting online there it's just a bummer.
--

The first time you launch the game you need to be online, but after that you should be able to play it in offline mode...

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555

Az

Looks like I'll be picking this up for the PC since it seems the GAF community will be bigger. Does this support my DFGT?

moojito

AcridMeat

Banned
moojito said:
Highlight reel from the first gaf f1 weekend?

:lol @ the slow mo of Hamilton flying past

We can only hope. :lol

Speaking of highlight reels, if there is someone who does in fact want to spectate a race or edit a replay that would be amazing!

Nabs

Dash Kappei said:
FAKE EDIT:

No fucking way I'm paying €42 on Steam Italy's shop...
what a fucking robbery...

--
Uhmm...
--

you could get someone in the states to buy it for you. it's about 27€ here, i think.

pilonv1

Shaneus said:
Might be different if you're getting it gifted, though.

Nope, I've got an extra three day wait on Civ 5 which was gifted to me.

Anyone know if there's a way to get around this?

I think you can use a VPN before loading steam to convince it you're from the US, start the download/unlock the game, exit steam, turn off the VPN and then play. I think.

Peterthumpa

Posted in other thread but anyway... got it yesterday to play F1 2010 TWIMTBP (no cash for a G27) :lol

VVfRT.jpg

Animal

Banned
Juicy Bob said:
I like your taste in drivers.

I had a hard time choosing between Robert Kubica and Mark Webber. I wasn't picking my second and third drivers by who I like the most but by who would be the most fun to play as. I chose Lewis Hamilton as my first pick driver because he is, in my opinion, the best driver to have graced F1 since Ayrton. I don't say that lightly. I couldn't pass up the chance to play as him :D

If I was picking in order of talent, I would of picked Fernando Alonso and Robert Kubica as my second and third drivers respectively.

In other news: I hope my DFGT still works. I literally threw it in the closet under a pile of hockey equipment after the Gran Turismo Time Trial Challenge ended and I haven't touched it since. :lol

Animal

Banned
Guys I don't know if this has been discussed already but ...

FORMULA ONE™ fans can today see F1 2010, the official game of the 2010 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP™, in action with the release of the first gameplay preview video, now showing at www.formula1-game.com. F1 2010 will be released on September 22nd in North America, September 23rd across EPAC territories with a UK street date of September 24th for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC Games For Windows®.

http://formula1-game.com/en_US/f1news_page.php?article=Feel+the+excitement+of+race+day+as+Codemasters%C2%AE+releases+new+F1+2010%E2%84%A2+gameplay+video.

WTF

Frawdder

Getting my team preferences in

Red Bull (Mark Webber)
Renault (Robert Kubica)
Ferrari (Fernando Alonso)

Again, my entry is tentative because of time difference, being in Australia makes it hard coordinate races with both US and Euro people, someone is bound to end up racing at 3am which is less than ideal. Perhaps if there is enough interest in we can schedule a second championship at a different time to accommodate those who won't be able to make the "main" GAF championship.

If I can't make it then so be it.

AcridMeat

Banned
Frawdder said:
Getting my team preferences in

Red Bull (Mark Webber)
Renault (Robert Kubica)
Ferrari (Fernando Alonso)

Again, my entry is tentative because of time difference, being in Australia makes it hard coordinate races with both US and Euro people, someone is bound to end up racing at 3am which is less than ideal. Perhaps if there is enough interest in we can schedule a second championship at a different time to accommodate those who won't be able to make the "main" GAF championship.

If I can't make it then so be it.

Lucky for you, there are 3 Australians signed up. We'll definitely have to see how it all goes though. I would love for it to work out even if we have to tweak things. Maybe we'll end up having two championships but we'll take the overall race times and just hold a leaderboard for the quickest of each race.

Dilly

Banned
Lucius86 said:
So what you're trying to say is you should thrash us all then :lol

I ain't implying anything here! :lol

I'd like to join the online championship, but I don't know how much time I'll have since college starts next week.

ShortBus

Well,with Kmart's $44.99 deal, I decided to bite.

Now, i'm hearing Warner is taking their time getting copies shipped to retailers.
As of right now,just Best Buy will have console versions the 21st. I'm nowhere near a Best Buy...

If you pre-ordered from GameStop,you won't have a copy until Thursday. :lol

Sucks being an F1 fan in the US.

AcridMeat

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I've just started university, too, but since it's on the weekend I should be fine. Throw in your name and see if you can make it anyway! :D

I agree with Foliorum, with you Dilly we have 12.

This is my 4th week of university, I think this will be my main source of entertainment for the spare free time I'll have. :lol

Lucius86

Banned
Damn, missed out on the driver allocations. My 3 will be..

Heiki Kovalinen (Lotus)
Felipe Massa (Ferrari)
Rubens Barichello (Williams)

Oh, I am totally recording my races I'm in, and if I'm outqualified I will spectate and record if I can.

AcridMeat

Banned
Lucius86 said:
Damn, missed out on the driver allocations. My 3 will be..

Heiki Kovalinen (Lotus)
Felipe Massa (Ferrari)
Rubens Barichello (Williams)

Oh, I am totally recording my races I'm in, and if I'm outqualified I will spectate and record if I can.

Completely and utterly awesome, can't wait to see this stuff.

Oh and you're the first to suggest Lotus (waiting on final 2) so you should be alright. :)

Animal

Banned
BTW I'm not really sure what the rules are for picking drivers. I only picked 3 because I saw others doing it. :lol

If someone would like one of my drivers, I would gladly consider a trade with whatever you are offering. I just want to have a good time racing.

AcridMeat

Banned
Animal said:
BTW I'm not really sure what the rules are for picking drivers. I only picked 3 because I saw others doing it. :lol

If someone would like one of my drivers, I would gladly consider a trade with whatever you are offering. I just want to have a good time racing.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure either. I basically wanted to get an idea of what people wanted to drive, and ideally get everyone a drive that they're okay with. The only trouble is no one has put down HRT yet. :lol

I'll post the full list of people with their choices once I have them all.

NHale

It seems everyone is complaining about the "pit stop bug". I hope Codemasters is working on a fix because this will ruin online races and career mode.

Juicy Bob

NHale said:
It seems everyone is complaining about the "pit stop bug". I hope Codemasters is working on a fix because this will ruin online races and career mode.

Apparently, it's like an automatic 'unsafe release' prevention game mechanic that's just extremely conservative as to when it allows you to leave your pit box - is that right?

Top Bottom