• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Dilly

Banned
itxaka said:
A couple of questions.

1- Does the game have full races. Like 56 laps on a circuit?
2- What kind of aid there is? I'm good at driving, not so much at learning the top speed on curves so I need a visual indication to be able to get even over the first one :lol
3- Why aren't the UI visuals the official ones(you know the yellow ones)? Didn't they get the license?
4- Does your car malfunctions? like ripping out the tires due to many laps on them or the motor exploding because your shifting was horrible?
5- Does weather conditions affects the whole car? like temperature of the wheels, not just you car slides more in curves
6- Pit stops, interactive or random or set time?
7- Penalties?
8-Car damage? One thing that I love on F1 CE for the PS3 is that you can have a crash and break your frontal for example and have to get into boxes to change it. It adds a lot of inmersion to the game.

Sorry if it's a lot, I just discovered this thread and I'm in awe ath the video as it looks awesome.

Here we go:

1. Yes, the race distance is scaleable
2. ABS, TC, automatic gears, racing line, braking help
3. Codies wanted to create the 'live the life' feeling of F1, so they included their own HUD
4. Engines don't fail, but their power reduces as you drive more races with them, you can manage your engine with different settings when racing like the real drivers do, there are 8 engines per season, using more will result in a 10 place grid penalty
5. Don't know that for sure, I presume though since the whole car is affected when in dirty air of another competitor, so I presume that detail is also in.
6. You can choose to pit yourself, but you can't steer in the pit. Only throttle, braking and pit limiter control
7. Penalties are in for cutting corners, dangerous driving and so on, safety car however is NOT included
8. Car damage isn't as immersive as GRID and Dirt 2, your wheels can break off, your front wing can disintegrate in different pieces and the diffuser can get damaged. Front wing will be replaced during pit stops.

Hope this was helpful!

itxaka

Defeatist
Dilly said:
Here we go:

1. Yes, the race distance is scaleable
2. ABS, TC, automatic gears, racing line, braking help
3. Codies wanted to create the 'live the life' feeling of F1, so they included their own HUD
4. Engines don't fail, but their power reduces as you drive more races with them, you can manage your engine with different settings when racing like the real drivers do, there are 8 engines per season, using more will result in a 10 place grid penalty
5. Don't know that for sure, I presume though since the whole car is affected when in dirty air of another competitor, so I presume that detail is also in.
6. You can choose to pit yourself, but you can't steer in the pit. Only throttle, braking and pit limiter control
7. Penalties are in for cutting corners, dangerous driving and so on, safety car however is NOT included
8. Car damage isn't as immersive as GRID and Dirt 2, your wheels can break off, your front wing can disintegrate in different pieces and the diffuser can get damaged. Front wing will be replaced during pit stops.

Hope this was helpful!
Thanks a lot, im gonna preorder it on steam because it sounds really intreresting and complete ;)

Animal

Banned
Leunam said:
I'm down for the GAF championship. When do we call dibs on teams?

We should pair a good and bad driver to the same team. This way we can simulate team orders :lol

Fine Clown-masters for unsafe-release!!!

a F1 2010 'feature' holds you too long before releasing you from the pit box, usually costing 12-14 places compared to the stops for the rest of the field.

we need a day one patch Ian for this most horrific of 'rubberbanding'

That seems a bit... unsatisfying? I guess. I'd rather come first in the second league, than have my time taken and come 4th overall.

That's just me, though.

Half judgment from the last few videos, but meh, it doesn´t look good. They promissed a lot of realism in this one, i was skeptical all the way, and unfortunately i guess i was right.

I don´t know what Codemasters did in the transition from PS2 to PS3, but it looks like they got rid of every programer, designer with sim roots.

Dirt, Grid and now F1 are all well received, but casual and not for me games from a company that used to be high on my list.

I´m just sad that this game appears (i can´t say for sure until i play the retail copy) to be far behind what Toca Race Driver 3 did in terms of realism.

It´s s shame that team is not working togheter anymore. Toca games were always a nice compliment to GT. When they said F1 was going to be a hardcore sim, i thougha part of team would be in charge. Oh well...

Leunam

Foliorum Viridum said:
That seems a bit... unsatisfying?

I agree, but at least that's a solution if people really wanted to race in teams.

The better solution would have been to allow both drivers to be controlled by the players from the start.

Roxas said:
tell me this isnt true...

Of course it is. EGO engine games have always looked nicer and performed better on the 360 compared to the PS3 and the PC is a huge step up on top of that as well. Dirt 2 and GRID were exactly the same.

Metalmurphy said:
PS3 version looks like crap. Most likely subHD.
360 version looks sharper but darker.
Master race version wins as always

I don't think its subHD, its just the combination of quincunx AA and post effects which are rendered below native resolution that create the blurry look. The same happened in both Dirt 2 and Grid.

It doesn't compare well to the PC version but it does compare well to damn near any multiplatform racer on the PS3, so there's little to complain about really. Dirt 2 is one of the best looking PC games around, so its silly to expect the console version of a game built on the same engine to compare favourably to the PC release.

Az

AcridMeat said:
TylerD and I were talking and we came up with what we feel is a fantastic idea.

GAF F1 Championship:

-We organize 12 able and willing folks to compete in a full race championship
-Meet each weekend for a race out of the GP
-Have a full race weekend meaning optional practice sessions then set up the real qualifying/race the next day
-Set up so that the cars are equal, you can make adjustments but those who race as Virgin or Lotus will have a chance (We're pretty sure we can do this, maybe Helios can confirm).

Now, there is only the max of 12 people online so what we were thinking is to get into the "main" GAF championship we would hold multiple sessions of Pole Position. This is the mode where you have the 20 minutes on a course to set the fastest time.

We then take the 12 fastest people from the sessions and those become the racers. If we have enough people who don't make it and are still willing, we can then have a second championship set up so no one is left out.

Now obviously we don't know how much lag will play a part in the races. However, going from previous experiences (GRID) I never had issues with racing people from the UK and I'm in California.

Let me or TylerD know if you're interested.

edit: We can work out times and such once we're more organized. We were thinking of having the first of these races in a couple weeks, the week after Singapore.

A full championship might be a bit too much of a commitment (19 courses) so what we could do is call a vote once we have our race group for which tracks should be in it.

I am deff. up for this. Already getting the game on PS3 tomorrow though so I don't know what system you guys are playing on. But if it is PS3 put me down.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheAzRim said:
I am deff. up for this. Already getting the game on PS3 tomorrow though so I don't know what system you guys are playing on. But if it is PS3 put me down.
I believe it's PC, sorry bro. The majority of the people who already bought the game here are probably PC simply because it was 36$.

1-D_FTW

Picked up a quad core Intel. Too many games have been held back recently with my dual core. Between that and my 460GTX, I don't anticipate 60fps being an issue now:)

Gowans

Picking this up on Friday for 360. Any good highstreet deals?

Also has this game got rewind in the single player?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
AcridMeat said:
TylerD and I were talking and we came up with what we feel is a fantastic idea.

GAF F1 Championship:

-We organize 12 able and willing folks to compete in a full race championship
-Meet each weekend for a race out of the GP
-Have a full race weekend meaning optional practice sessions then set up the real qualifying/race the next day
-Set up so that the cars are equal, you can make adjustments but those who race as Virgin or Lotus will have a chance (We're pretty sure we can do this, maybe Helios can confirm).

Now, there is only the max of 12 people online so what we were thinking is to get into the "main" GAF championship we would hold multiple sessions of Pole Position. This is the mode where you have the 20 minutes on a course to set the fastest time.

We then take the 12 fastest people from the sessions and those become the racers. If we have enough people who don't make it and are still willing, we can then have a second championship set up so no one is left out.

Now obviously we don't know how much lag will play a part in the races. However, going from previous experiences (GRID) I never had issues with racing people from the UK and I'm in California.

Let me or TylerD know if you're interested.

edit: We can work out times and such once we're more organized. We were thinking of having the first of these races in a couple weeks, the week after Singapore.

A full championship might be a bit too much of a commitment (19 courses) so what we could do is call a vote once we have our race group for which tracks should be in it.

I would be up for this, very much so.

Dilly

Banned
seattle6418 said:
Half judgment from the last few videos, but meh, it doesn´t look good. They promissed a lot of realism in this one, i was skeptical all the way, and unfortunately i guess i was right.

I don´t know what Codemasters did in the transition from PS2 to PS3, but it looks like they got rid of every programer, designer with sim roots.

Dirt, Grid and now F1 are all well received, but casual and not for me games from a company that used to be high on my list.

I´m just sad that this game appears (i can´t say for sure until i play the retail copy) to be far behind what Toca Race Driver 3 did in terms of realism.

It´s s shame that team is not working togheter anymore. Toca games were always a nice compliment to GT. When they said F1 was going to be a hardcore sim, i thougha part of team would be in charge. Oh well...

Since when is TRD3 considered realism?

As far as I've seen and read, F1 2010 feels more realistic than you're making it out to be. There are enough videos on the internet to support that claim.

Lucius86

Banned
I'm in for the GAF championship, but what about differing time zones?? No good playing it at 4am for me :(

Ah well, sucks if i cant make them but never mind.

Az

Stallion Free said:
I believe it's PC, sorry bro. The majority of the people who already bought the game here are probably PC simply because it was 36$.

That's too bad. I have a pretty fast PC just my graphics card is lacking. Would love to pick it up on Steam and play with you guys.

TylerD

1-D_FTW said:
Picked up a quad core Intel. Too many games have been held back recently with my dual core. Between that and my 460GTX, I don't anticipate 60fps being an issue now:)

If you have Dirt 2 what kind of frame rate were you getting on the benchmark with the dual core? I may be picking up a 1 GB GTX460 to replace my HD 4850 and I only have a dual core (E8500).

I have read that if you overclock the E8500 to 3.6 ghz that you should be great and still just fine at 3.16 ghz with the 460.

I will check on steam when I get home later tonight. Since I am in the US, I really don't have any problem with trying to be much more accommodating to UK/Euro gaf since you guys will likely make up the bulk of the grid. I would think that 10am CST would be fine for Saturday qualification runs then race an hour or two later. That is just a general preference to me though.

Lucius86

Banned
Does anyone know if there are any replays we can record directly in the game, or do we have to frap it?

Would be cool for one or two of us were to capture the championship races so we can lol at the first corner pileups.

TylerD said:
I will check on steam when I get home later tonight. Since I am in the US, I really don't have any problem with trying to be much more accommodating to UK/Euro gaf since you guys will likely make up the bulk of the grid. I would think that 10am CST would be fine for Saturday qualification runs then race an hour or two later. That is just a general preference to me though.

I can't really commit to anything consistently, so it may be an idea to vary the times a wee bit every now and then so people from different time zones and different commitments get a fair crack at the whip.

Lucius86 said:
Does anyone know if there are any replays we can record directly in the game, or do we have to frap it?

Would be cool for one or two of us were to capture the championship races so we can lol at the first corner pileups.

I can't really commit to anything consistently, so it may be an idea to vary the times a wee bit every now and then so people from different time zones and different commitments get a fair crack at the whip.
doesn't say if you can store replays, but full replays are available after races. this is from the manual

REPLAYS

You can view an Instant Replay at any time by selecting the option from the in-game Pause menu, or by pressing BACK when in-race. You can also a view a full replay of your entire race once it has ended.

FLASHBACKS

Flashbacks are a handy way of correcting mistakes. When things go wrong in a race simply select Instant Replay from the Pause menu and rewind your race to a point before things began to go awry. When you find your ideal point within the race, hit the Flashback button to jump back in time and correct your mistake. You have a fixed number of Flashbacks, so use them wisely. This number changes based upon the difficulty level you have selected, so you may find you need to use them sparingly. Note that with the games difficulty set to Expert, no Flashbacks will be available. It is possible to use Flashbacks within Time Trial; however, doing so will invalidate your lap. In Multiplayer, no Flashbacks are available.

Lucius86

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
doesn't say if you can store replays, but full replays are available after races. this is from the manual

REPLAYS

You can view an Instant Replay at any time by selecting the option from the in-game Pause menu, or by pressing BACK when in-race. You can also a view a full replay of your entire race once it has ended.

FLASHBACKS

Flashbacks are a handy way of correcting mistakes. When things go wrong in a race simply select Instant Replay from the Pause menu and rewind your race to a point before things began to go awry. When you find your ideal point within the race, hit the Flashback button to jump back in time and correct your mistake. You have a fixed number of Flashbacks, so use them wisely. This number changes based upon the difficulty level you have selected, so you may find you need to use them sparingly. Note that with the games difficulty set to Expert, no Flashbacks will be available. It is possible to use Flashbacks within Time Trial; however, doing so will invalidate your lap. In Multiplayer, no Flashbacks are available.

Woop, so some fraps recordings may be just what I will be up to after each race I participate in :D

Dilly said:
Since when is TRD3 considered realism?

As far as I've seen and read, F1 2010 feels more realistic than you're making it out to be. There are enough videos on the internet to support that claim.

Toca Race Driver 3 was released way back in 2005 if i´m not mistaken. Back then, it was a pretty competent sim. It had good damage, good physics... maybe you are confusing with some other game?

Because i know i´m not the only one to consider TRD3 an excellent game.

Dilly

Banned
seattle6418 said:
Toca Race Driver 3 was released way back in 2005 if i´m not mistaken. Back then, it was a pretty competent sim. It had good damage, good physics... maybe you are confusing with some other game?

Because i know i´m not the only one to consider TRD3 an excellent game.

It sure was a good game and it got good ratings but it just wasn't a sim.

GTR, rFactor and Live for Speed S2 were released in 2005, which were full blown sims and they were more realistic handling wise than TRD3. I remember Codemasters advertising the game as a sim, but that doesn't mean it was one.

So I have no idea why F1 2010 doesn't look realistic to you, yet TRD3 apparently did.

I'm not saying TRD3 wasn't an excellent game, because I put in a few hours myself in that game, but it just wasn't a sim.

Lucius86

Banned
Surely racing an F1 car is too difficult for the majority of us??? I remember watching Richard Hammond on Top Gear with the Renault...

Dilly

Banned
Lucius86 said:
Surely racing an F1 car is too difficult for the majority of us??? I remember watching Richard Hammond on Top Gear with the Renault...

The only thing we can simulate right now are the driving techniques, the stress on the body when driving an F1 car makes it much more challenging.

I've played sims for years (I think I was 14 when I bought my wheel and played the LFS demo) and I'm considerably faster in karting than my friends.

Hammond lacked the racing technique, the engineer pointed out his faulty brake technique. When my friends play a race sim on my PC, they also brake the wrong way even though for me it feels natural.

I genuinly think sims can improve your driving style, they just won't make you a competitive F1 racer. :)

I think they look pretty damn good. When you look closely at them maybe there should be more destruction, but when that stuff happens in a race that you're in it will definitely feel exciting.

Lucius86

Banned
Dilly said:
The only thing we can simulate right now are the driving techniques, the stress on the body when driving an F1 car makes it much more challenging.

I've played sims for years (I think I was 14 when I bought my wheel and played the LFS demo) and I'm considerably faster in karting than my friends.

Hammond lacked the racing technique, the engineer pointed out his faulty brake technique. When my friends play a race sim on my PC, they also brake the wrong way even though for me it feels natural.

I genuinly think sims can improve your driving style, they just won't make you a competitive F1 racer. :)

So what you're trying to say is you should thrash us all then :lol

Animal

Banned
Lucius86 said:

Listen I have nothing against the man and enjoy having him as an entertainer on Top Gear.

That being said, Richard Hammond is clueless about race-craft and the physics of things in general. He has no idea how cars work and as a result is clueless on how to push them to their limits. As far as he knows, everything between the pedal and the wheel is just one big black box. He just pushes pedals and turns wheels holding on for dear life. Its ironic that his job involves driving some of the greatest cars and machines ever made.

I know this sounds like I'm flaming him but I'm really not. He's just not a driver and it needs to be said.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hold up, people were bitching about those crashes? Jesus christ. I guess Codemasters has it's own standard when it comes to crashing otherwise Forza and Gran Turismo should be ripped to shreds for their minimal damage models.

Top Bottom