• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

NHale

Juicy Bob said:
Apparently, it's like an automatic 'unsafe release' prevention game mechanic that's just extremely conservative as to when it allows you to leave your pit box - is that right?

Yes. And the result is that you lose a lot of time and places unless you're the only one pitting in that lap. Now that will not be an option when it starts to rain and 24 (12 online) cars pit at the same time. What a mess.

I can't understand how it is possible to be in the final version. This is something QA would see in 1 race. :lol

itxaka

Defeatist
Would it be better to play the game with a 360/ps3 controller or with a keyboard?

I'm not that good or hardcore to get a wheel but I feel like with the keyboard is gonna be a waste of game, while the triggers would get me some room for acceleration/brake.

What do you guys think?

moojito said:
edit: Check out this latest video from the vvv folk: http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamVVV#p/u/0/FRfQ0U9gmwQ

Amazing lap of Monaco on there. I'd stick it on at least 480p, though.
well now, the last part wasn't exactly amazing. but yeah I really like the vvv guy's videos. wrc ones were great aswell

if I get the game I would probably prefer online playing as chandhok hehe. or trulli, or dlr. what does the lineup of europe gaffers look like so far?

itxaka said:
Would it be better to play the game with a 360/ps3 controller or with a keyboard? I'm not that good or hardcore to get a wheel but I feel like with the keyboard is gonna be a waste of game, while the triggers would get me some room for acceleration/brake. What do you guys think?
uh yeah controller over keyboard of course. probably easiest to play on a controller, even over wheels.

Sloane

Banned
NHale said:
Yes. And the result is that you lose a lot of time and places unless you're the only one pitting in that lap. Now that will not be an option when it starts to rain and 24 (12 online) cars pit at the same time. What a mess.

I can't understand how it is possible to be in the final version. This is something QA would see in 1 race. :lol
I'm more curious why it wasn't mentioned in ANY review I've read. :lol

1-D_FTW

NHale said:

I've only seen mention of the problem in this thread, but isn't it just an issue of CPU cars getting to leave the pits much more aggressively. That's a huge bug and needs a patch ASAP, but in an online mode everyone should be screaming equally.

1-D_FTW

Blimblim has a review up. Haven't watched it yet. As for this thread, assuming it unlocks today, it's not scheduled for another 4 hours on Steam.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's a written review. Only saw that there was a review in my RSS feed.

NHale

1-D_FTW said:
I've only seen mention of the problem in this thread, but isn't it just an issue of CPU cars getting to leave the pits much more aggressively. That's a huge bug and needs a patch ASAP, but in an online mode everyone should be screaming equally.

Not exactly. The problem is that you only leave the pitstop if you don't have any car "near" on the pit lane. Online will also be problem because those who drive the bottom teams will have less of a problem because their pits are in the end of pit lane.

And even more, just imagine I'm racing with a Ferrari (usually top teams are the first teams on the pit lane) and I have a 5 second lead over the rest of the pack, I pit and it takes 5 seconds, but when I'm ready to return, the rest of the pack enters the pits and I have to wait until they pass me. Meanwhile if I was driving a Hispania (last pit area) and coming first I wouldn't have a problem to be released.

Sloane said:
I'm more curious why it wasn't mentioned in ANY review I've read. :lol

Gamersyde and other one mentioned it (can't remember which).

Gamersyde review said:
Operating the D-Pad enables you to communicate with your team in a very easy way, should you need to change some settings on the fly, or plan your pit stops. Bear in mind though that a crowded pit lane will translate into losing precious time before being able to drive your way out. This can make you furious. Trust me.

1-D_FTW

NHale said:
Not exactly. The problem is that you only leave the pitstop if you don't have any car "near" on the pit lane. Online will also be problem because those who drive the bottom teams will have less of a problem because their pits are in the end of pit lane.

And even more, just imagine I'm racing with a Ferrari (usually top teams are the first teams on the pit lane) and I have a 5 second lead over the rest of the pack, I pit and it takes 5 seconds, but when I'm ready to return, the rest of the pack enters the pits and I have to wait until they pass me. Meanwhile if I was driving a Hispania (last pit area) and coming first I wouldn't have a problem to be released.

Gamersyde and other one mentioned it (can't remember which).

I don't really watch much racing on tv anymore (and quit watching F1 when I lost track of all the different channel changes in the US), but I see.

I would like to think that in online all the cars will be equal so who's good/not good will be driver skill. But I can see where it could be an issue. Ideally pit spots would be determined by qualifying speed. Fastest racer gets last pit, slowest driver gets first pit. That would make the most seamless pit transition.

1-D_FTW said:
Ideally pit spots would be determined by qualifying speed. Fastest racer gets last pit, slowest driver gets first pit. That would make the most seamless pit transition.

Ideal but not really necessary, Your car should be prevented from leaving the pits if acar is driving towards you within an unsafe distance, but somehow that's been represented in-game as any car anywhere behind you in the whole pitlane. That's assuming this bug is as bad as has been reported. As these cars get up to pit lane speed limit in about 2 seconds, the safe distance shouldn't be very long.

VVV Mars VG

Hey glad to see you guys liked the videos, done the best I can with limited time, just working on another one now.

Joseph Merrick said:
well now, the last part wasn't exactly amazing. but yeah I really like the vvv guy's videos. wrc ones were great aswell

Well spotted, I came out of the second to last corner and got a ton of wheel spin so had to tippy toe through the last corner rather than nail it. But it was great fun, I could sit there shaving of tenths all day :) though I've been beaten by a guy using assists and I fear assists will dominate the TT leaderboards but we'll wait and see.

olimpia84 said:
grrr, I won't be able to get this until Friday or Saturday since I'm traveling for work purposes =/
I haven't had my student loan yet, so I'm hoping it comes in before Sunday so I can buy it when it's released here in the UK. :lol I might not get a chance to pre-load it if they're slow...

TylerD

VVV Mars VG said:
Hey glad to see you guys liked the videos, done the best I can with limited time, just working on another one now.

Yes, excellent videos. I only have 2 more hours or so before my game should unlock. Too bad that I am going to be leaving for work in 1.5 hrs...

First thing will be doing some laps around Spa in the wet to see how my PC can hang.

DenogginizerOS said:
I still have to think my i5 750, GTX 260, with 4GB of RAM would be better than the PS3 or X360 version. Agreed?
yeah, should think so. or hope so hehe.

VVV Mars VG said:
though I've been beaten by a guy using assists and I fear assists will dominate the TT leaderboards but we'll wait and see.
it shows on the leaderboards what assists were used, right?

NHale

VG247 said:
Codemasters has announced it’s shipped 2 million units of F1 2010 for the game’s launch this week.

The racer, the second made by Codies since it acquired the rights to the sport from Sony, releases on Thursday in the US and on Friday in the UK.

“We pushed the development period as far as we could… we’re always very aware of what’s being called for,” said chief games designer, Stephen Hood in a forum post on the Codies forums.

“Sometimes I feel as though the gap between F1 games has played against us because people have had so long to imagine all the features they’d love to have in their ideal F1 title.”

F1 2010 sees the game in this season’s perspective, from the rules and the new tracks like in South Korea; to the new teams such as Lotus and Virgin; to the rebranding of Brawn GP to Mercedes; and drivers moving teams, like Fernando Alonso to Ferrari and Jenson Button to McLaren.

I thought the US release date was today. Surely a mistake from VG247.

2 million copies is a great number considering the game will not sell very well in the US.

VVV Mars VG

Joseph Merrick said:
it shows on the leaderboards what assists were used, right?

Indeed is does (represented by arrows >>>>), for the Monaco dry lap I used no assists. It's a bit like using manual gears, when you're used to it, you can't got back. There's a couple of seconds to find in there though but hooking it together is always a challenge.

NHale said:
2 million copies is a great number considering the game will not sell very well in the US.
I wonder what percentage of that is the pc version. must be a very low number with no us retail version and amazon only for uk.

Sent

Joseph Merrick said:
I wonder what percentage of that is the pc version. must be a very low number with no us retail version and amazon only for uk.

Steam is pretty popular so it's probably not THAT low, but I was unaware there was no retail version...weird.

Also cool to see you here VVV Mars :D

NHale

Regarding the "pit stop" bug, users in the Codemasters forum are saying that if you have any car behind you in the pit lane, the lollipop guy will not release you. So even if you're in the end of the pit area and a car is entering the pit lane, you will be stopped waiting for him to pit behind you. :lol

They are also saying it is possible that this bug only happens when the race distance is 20% or less.

VVV Mars since you have a copy, can you confirm this bug is indeed real and if it occurs in every race distance? Thanks for all the videos, my favourite was the Monza low downforce because it clearly felt like it was difficult to brake and turn.

jlevel13

VVV Mars VG said:
and I fear assists will dominate the TT leaderboards but we'll wait and see.

In theory, shouldn't using the assists slow you down a fair bit? That's usually the case in most semi-sim racing games at least

Animal

Banned
Someone please explain to me how this pit-lane bug could possibly make its way to release? This is borderline amateurish.

19Kilo

Just so we're clear, I hate all you bastards sitting at home getting ready to play :D

Edit: That goes for Civ V too. What a release day O_O

Animal

Banned
Just pulled out my DFGT of the closet and installed it on my PC. This game better release at 1PM otherwise I'm going karting tonight :lol

Lucius86

Banned
Right, well that's a monumental fuck up.....

Microsoft's wireless receiver to get the 360 wheel does NOT support force feedback. It says on their web site it will be updated in a future release - but people have been waiting a year for a newer driver, with no such luck.

What a load of bollocks that is. I am seriously considering selling my 360 wheel and getting one for the PC now. RAGE. How utterly shit!!!

Edit: A good thread about other people moaning: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-SG/vistagaming/thread/f5140785-e66b-44c6-b3e6-db62f4bd9edf

Animal

Banned
So it's officially play time but I'm just staring at the game in my steam library because it's still locked. :lol

Az

Ok you all better wait until 6pm when I get home and can play. Can't let you play while I am sitting at work. =(

1-D_FTW

Animal said:
So it's officially play time but I'm just staring at the game in my steam library because it's still locked. :lol

Steam time or an error on when the actual release date was? Dun-dun-dun. Considering it's still available for a pre-order discount, I'm not too optimistic it's unlocking today.

1-D_FTW

What do you consider cheap? I personally wouldn't waste the space on anything less than a Logitech GT Force. Never actually used the thing, but it seems to get high marks from gaf and is a 900 degree wheel.

Obviously a G27 or Fanatec wheel is ideal. But those are going to be considerably more money.

1-D_FTW

And you might want to post in the GT5 thread, because I'm pretty sure they were posting a UK place that was having a good deal on the Force GT.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, the shop that I cannot name has shipped my copy of F1 2010 so I should see it tomorrow.

Is the game Steamworked to the point that it requires to be registered on Steam? If so I hope I don't have to wait until Friday because of the UK Street date :(

1-D_FTW

Stop It said:
Well, the shop that I cannot name has shipped my copy of F1 2010 so I should see it tomorrow.

Is the game Steamworked to the point that it requires to be registered on Steam? If so I hope I don't have to wait until Friday because of the UK Street date :(

No. It's GFWL. Which means you have to have a registered Live account.

woeds

Animal said:
Mine just unlocked. It recommend I defrag my game files first :lol
Where do you live? Here, Steam says it will unlock in two days (Netherlands). What the hell Codemasters? where's the logic in this.

Lucius86

Banned
Ok, I am going to wander into the GT5 thread....eek.

Not too expensive = £100 or less. I can't afford a Fanatec wheel (well, I can, but I can't justify it :lol )

Top Bottom