• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Sloane said:
Got a chance to play the review code at a friend's last night, some impressions:

- The driving itself does feel pretty good, especially in wet conditions. When it's dry, the game seems to be a bit too forgiving at times (when driving over curbs, for example) but overall I can't complain. What bothered me a bit was the sensibility of the controls. I was using the analog stick of the gamepad but it felt like I was driving with the D-Pad, if that makes any sense? Maybe there's an option to change the sensibility, I didn't check.

- The AI was doing a pretty good job at blocking my overtaking attempts but they crashed into me a few times when I was clearly in front. Might be realistic unless it happens to often, I can't tell from the limited time I've played.

- Set-ups don't seem to have much influence on the driving and the options are pretty limited but that was to be expected.

- I was incredibly annoyed by the damage system (and Codemasters' attempts to cover it up). Unless you drive at 300 km/h into a wall, the worst that can really happen during a race is a broken front wing. What happened to Hamilton in Monza seems impossible to recreate in the game. I tried to get the car flying by driving on another car's tires but that didn't seem to work either. :lol

- I noticed a few slowdowns, most of them happened while driving through the pit lane. (Does anyone know if drive-through penalties exist, by the way? I hit another car once during a race and was only told that 10 seconds would be added at the end of the race.)

- Load times felt pretty long.

- Multiplayer doesn't work yet (I think) and I didn't have enough time to try the campaign, so no impressions on that. You probably know about missing features, so I won't list them.

All in all, I strongly disagree with everyone who compares F1 2010 to Geoff Crammond's works. The Grand Prix games were deep simulations of the sport while F1 2010, in my opinion, is a great looking arcade game with a relatively realistic driving model, but still an arcade game. And that's perfectly fine -- if you don't expect a simulation, it's definitely fun and you'll probably be happy with it.

thanks.

looks like i'll be sticking to grand prix 4 and rfactor for my f1 fix

jupiter.jazz

Neo Member
Dash Kappei said:
I need a PC retail copy and yet The Hut and Zavvi only have the console skus on preorder, wtf

Do you guys know where can I order a copy (UK/shipping to continental EU)

Amazon is your only chance now for a PC box in the UK. Codemasters stopped any other UK retailers taking pre-orders for a box copy after the 14th. They won't be making any batches to sell via retail either after launch either, digital download only.

http://community.codemasters.com/fo.../426848-pre-orders-only-24th.html#post6471733

Helios said:
Hi all, just wanted to pop in here to clarify the situation regarding the availability PC version. So here is what's happening for the various territories.

UK – If you’ve pre-ordered a box copy of F1 2010, you’ll receive a boxed, copy of the game on disc. Amazon.co.uk is still taking PC box pre-orders and will continue to do so until the day before launch. At launch, the PC edition of F1 2010 will be exclusively available via digital download.

US - The PC edition of F1 2010 is exclusively available via digital download; pre-orders are now available via Steam and other digital outlets.

All other territories - Boxed copies available for pre-orders and at launch (while stocks last), digital downloads also available.

Sloane said:
Got a chance to play the review code at a friend's last night, some impressions:

- I noticed a few slowdowns, most of them happened while driving through the pit lane. (Does anyone know if drive-through penalties exist, by the way? I hit another car once during a race and was only told that 10 seconds would be added at the end of the race.)

- Load times felt pretty long.

Which version did you get to play?

1-D_FTW

DieH@rd said:
Can anyone confirm does the PC version supports playing in the windowed mode?

I don't see why they wouldn't. Previous Codemasters racing games don't have an issue with this.

wouwie

markao said:
Darin from SRT got a PS3 preview version and captured (1080p) the first race moments on camera (15 min.).

F1 2010: Lotus Cosworth @ Bahrain - PS3 Version

After watching that video, i decided to cancel my ps3 pre-order. I don't know why but it looked underwhelming compared to the 360 videos. Maybe it's the camera, the different track,... i don't know but something looked and felt dissapointing to me. Compare it to this video. It seems the 360 version runs a lot smoother and looks better for some reason.

Will wait for opinions from people playing before buying the ps3 version (i don't own a 360)

Dilly

Banned
wouwie said:
After watching that video, i decided to cancel my ps3 pre-order. I don't know why but it looked underwhelming compared to the 360 videos. Maybe it's the camera, the different track,... i don't know but something looked and felt dissapointing to me. Compare it to this video. It seems the 360 version runs a lot smoother and looks better for some reason.

Will wait for opinions from people playing before buying the ps3 version (i don't own a 360)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=537OS15Z5W0

This is directly captured from the PS3 version, it might give you a better view on things.

markao

@wouwie, I would not base to much on an off cam video. Just look how much better the game looks the last few minutes of the PS3 video, when the cam is slightly further from the screen.

Just wait until there are more direct videos, like the one in the post above, to make a final decision ;)

wouwie

markao said:
@wouwie, I would not base to much on an off cam video. Just look how much better the game looks the last few minutes of the PS3 video, when the cam is slightly further from the screen.

Just wait until there are more direct videos, like the one in the post above, to make a final decision ;)

Indeed :) Second video looked a lot better. In any case, i'm still as interested as before. Just going to wait a bit until there are some user impressions instead of pre-ordering.

Roxas

szZte.jpg

tell me this isnt true...

jamaniek

It was obvious from the beginning that the PS3 version will be the worst one. I won't be able to tell the difference between the PS3 and 360 version during an actual race, so I don't give a shit about the 360's graphical advantage.

Chris R

Omiee said:
360 version looks better than the ps3 version which looks like a ps2 game, also pc version looks so plane
I started reading this thread from the last post upwards. I thought this was a troll. I was sad to see that it wasn't :(

I'm not even going to bother renting the game for the PS3 now. I'll just wait for a steam sale to buy.

zugzug

rhfb said:
I started reading this thread from the last post upwards. I thought this was a troll. I was sad to see that it wasn't :(

I'm not even going to bother renting the game for the PS3 now. I'll just wait for a steam sale to buy.

you mean like the current 10% off for pre-ordering this game on steam on a brand new game? Or you mean prolly not the xmas sale in 3 1/2 months since this game is so new? Or do you mean in one years time when the next newer version comes out :p

TylerD

rhfb said:

Is it still $35? That is already 25 bucks cheaper than the console versions. :D

slamskank

rhfb said:

Uh, PS3 version it's 59.99.

Steam has it right now for 35.99 - no brainer.

Chris R

slamskank said:
Uh, PS3 version it's 59.99.

Steam has it right now for 35.99 - no brainer.

I wasn't going to buy it on the PS3, just rent it from Blockbuster to see if I enjoyed how the game played with my DFGT. Instead I'm just going to wait for the game to go on sale at some future point down the line.

zugzug said:
you mean like the current 10% off for pre-ordering this game on steam on a brand new game? Or you mean prolly not the xmas sale in 3 1/2 months since this game is so new? Or do you mean in one years time when the next newer version comes out :p

Yes I can wait for the game to go on sale and drop to something like $20. If that means the Holiday sale this year, so be it. If it means March of next year, so be it. I'm a cheap person when it comes to games :lol (didn't buy Dirt2 @ $6 because I couldn't get it at $1, no sweat off my back, I just won't ever play Dirt2 now :lol ).

TylerD said:
Is it still $35? That is already 25 bucks cheaper than the console versions. :D

It still is $35.99 on Steam, but like I said, I don't have a problem waiting for it to drop even more. A PC Demo would have probably changed my mind and made me either buy the game right away or never, but since that isn't happening I have nothing to base my experience off of (and since the PS3 version turned out so badly I can't use that either) I won't be buying day 1.

AcridMeat

Banned
TylerD and I were talking and we came up with what we feel is a fantastic idea.

GAF F1 Championship:

-We organize 12 able and willing folks to compete in a full race championship
-Meet each weekend for a race out of the GP
-Have a full race weekend meaning optional practice sessions then set up the real qualifying/race the next day
-Set up so that the cars are equal, you can make adjustments but those who race as Virgin or Lotus will have a chance (We're pretty sure we can do this, maybe Helios can confirm).

Now, there is only the max of 12 people online so what we were thinking is to get into the "main" GAF championship we would hold multiple sessions of Pole Position. This is the mode where you have the 20 minutes on a course to set the fastest time.

We then take the 12 fastest people from the sessions and those become the racers. If we have enough people who don't make it and are still willing, we can then have a second championship set up so no one is left out.

Now obviously we don't know how much lag will play a part in the races. However, going from previous experiences (GRID) I never had issues with racing people from the UK and I'm in California.

Let me or TylerD know if you're interested.

edit: We can work out times and such once we're more organized. We were thinking of having the first of these races in a couple weeks, the week after Singapore.

A full championship might be a bit too much of a commitment (19 courses) so what we could do is call a vote once we have our race group for which tracks should be in it.

1-D_FTW

rhfb said:
I'm a cheap person when it comes to games :lol (didn't buy Dirt2 @ $6 because I couldn't get it at $1, no sweat off my back, I just won't ever play Dirt2 now :lol ).

I'm a card carrying CAGer that'll take CAG stands on principal, but you're only hurting yourself. Amazing game. Buy it next time it's even remotely cheap.

AcridMeat said:

GAF F1 Championship:

-Have a full race weekend meaning optional practice sessions then set up the real qualifying/race the next day
-Set up so that the cars are equal, you can make adjustments but those who race as Virgin or Lotus will have a chance (We're pretty sure we can do this, maybe Helios can confirm).

Now, there is only the max of 12 people online so what we were thinking is to get into the "main" GAF championship we would hold multiple sessions of Pole Position. This is the mode where you have the 20 minutes on a course to set the fastest time.

We then take the 12 fastest people from the sessions and those become the racers. If we have enough people who don't make it and are still willing, we can then have a second championship set up so no one is left out.

Now obviously we don't know how much lag will play a part in the races. However, going from previous experiences (GRID) I never had issues with racing people from the UK and I'm in California.

edit: We can work out times and such once we're more organized. We were thinking of having the first of these races in a couple weeks, the week after Singapore.

A full championship might be a bit too much of a commitment (19 courses) so what we could do is call a vote once we have our race group for which tracks should be in it.

As long as it's not on Sunday afternoon/evening (football), I'm definitely in. But I think you're aiming real high with how much participation you'll get. Even with TF2 gaf (which was huge), getting decent amounts of guys to participate at set times was tuff.

Animal

Banned
AcridMeat said:

GAF F1 Championship:

I'm all over this.

Chris R

1-D_FTW said:
I'm a card carrying CAGer that'll take CAG stands on principal, but you're only hurting yourself. Amazing game. Buy it next time it's even remotely cheap.
I'll buy it the next time it is $1 :lol

pmj

Nabs said:
There's no piss filter on the PC.
The DirectX comparisons posted on the previous page look fine, but all of the PC shots in the PC vs. console comparisons in post 346 clearly have a yellow tint.

I'm wondering what's up with that.

1-D_FTW

pmj said:
The DirectX comparisons posted on the previous page look fine, but all of the PC shots in the PC vs. console comparisons in post 346 clearly have a yellow tint.

I'm wondering what's up with that.

On my properly calibrated CRT monitor, I can't even see the difference between the blue/black shirt/pants combo on the 360. It's being crushed. I think the difference between 360 and PC is simply that the contrast is much too low. The 360 is overly dark and PC overly bright.

Covfan

That PS3/360/PC comparison thing. It looks like the PS3 shot is in SD, can't believe it looks that poor. Still getting it for the PS3 and possibly the 360 if it's modable.

EDIT// This is why I think the PS3 version is being shown in HD in these screenshots.

f12010vgl5g.jpg

The Trophy popup looks identical to how it does when running in SDTV mode.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Roxas said:
szZte.jp

tell me this isnt true...

wooooha , PS3 version look like shit , it's weird since Ego Engine games look almost identical between 360 and PS3 ,oh well ,PS3 will continue to receive poor ports nothing we can do about it.

NHale

If those screens are indeed HD, then F1 2010 PS3 version is the first game to have jaggies and blur in the trophy notifications.

EDIT: Even the "100 MPH" in the menu has jaggies. There has to be something wrong with those screenshots.

I pre-ordered the 360 version today. Don't really care how it compares, it'll just be nice to be able to cart it around to my fellow F1 enthusiasts.

I'll probably also pick up the Steam version eventually.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
PS3 version is way too bright like nearly all 360 port jobs.
The gamma needs to be turned down and it would match the 360 version a lot better.

AcridMeat said:

GAF F1 Championship:

Great idea. I've made you and Tyler officers in the Steam group, if that helps you organise things. :)

I'm for this... if I'm fast enough to qualify. :lol Maybe you should start putting together a list of candidates who want in?

amar212

Covfan said:
That PS3/360/PC comparison thing. It looks like the PS3 shot is in SD, can't believe it looks that poor. Still getting it for the PS3 and possibly the 360 if it's modable.

The Trophy popup looks identical to how it does when running in SDTV mode.

I don't think it is SDTV, it looks like they've been using component (analog HD) for output/input on capture device.

If they do not have Debug PS3, they can't override HDCP through HDMI, thus resulting in poor sharpness and saturation.

Although EGO was noticable better on X360 in all other Codies games (GRID being most noticable), it certanly doesn't look that bad. So it is probably matter of equipment.

itxaka

Defeatist
A couple of questions.

1- Does the game have full races. Like 56 laps on a circuit?
2- What kind of aid there is? I'm good at driving, not so much at learning the top speed on curves so I need a visual indication to be able to get even over the first one :lol
3- Why aren't the UI visuals the official ones(you know the yellow ones)? Didn't they get the license?
4- Does your car malfunctions? like ripping out the tires due to many laps on them or the motor exploding because your shifting was horrible?
5- Does weather conditions affects the whole car? like temperature of the wheels, not just you car slides more in curves
6- Pit stops, interactive or random or set time?
7- Penalties?
8-Car damage? One thing that I love on F1 CE for the PS3 is that you can have a crash and break your frontal for example and have to get into boxes to change it. It adds a lot of inmersion to the game.

Sorry if it's a lot, I just discovered this thread and I'm in awe ath the video as it looks awesome.

Something is wrong with the PS3 captures. There's no reason for the trophy notification symbol to be fuzzy like it is in that one image.

Top Bottom