• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Yoritomo

Slackbladder said:
I am jealous. F1 2010 on Steam has yet to unlock. Fuck it, I'm going to bed.
I like Steam in general. But their release system is utter shite.

It worked wonderfully for me on Tuesday. :D

markot

Banned
God damn Codemasters needs to get rid of this presentation bs that they do in every game now..... I dont want interviews, I dont want to walk around... I dont want to be called anything by the pit crew, by the... everyone. What ever happened to less is more. They ruined Colin Mcrae with that crap, and the complete lack of anything resembling rallying outside of 1/100000th of the game that let you actually rally... I dont want a career, I just want to race...

I dont want to have to go to outside the car vision to get a level of visability during the rain... and the damn candy cane 'racing line' I remember back in the day that the racing line was evident by the rubber the cars put on the track, now its like you are following this stupid little line all over the track, and it completely gets rid of any 'learning' about the track or the lines or where to break, its this... follow the rabbit, almost reminds me more of a music rhythm game then a racer >.<

markot

Banned
Its a good game. But for some reason the presentation in this, Dirt 2 and Grid just reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly gets on my nerves... I dunno >.<

I just like the 'classier' approach of a GT game... or just something more simple.

Choc

Banned
markot said:
God damn Codemasters needs to get rid of this presentation bs that they do in every game now..... I dont want interviews, I dont want to walk around... I dont want to be called anything by the pit crew, by the... everyone. What ever happened to less is more. They ruined Colin Mcrae with that crap, and the complete lack of anything resembling rallying outside of 1/100000th of the game that let you actually rally... I dont want a career, I just want to race...

I dont want to have to go to outside the car vision to get a level of visability during the rain... and the damn candy cane 'racing line' I remember back in the day that the racing line was evident by the rubber the cars put on the track, now its like you are following this stupid little line all over the track, and it completely gets rid of any 'learning' about the track or the lines or where to break, its this... follow the rabbit, almost reminds me more of a music rhythm game then a racer >.<

The interview options are very good and the 'live the life' mantra flows through with it. The answers you give also affect your standing with your current team as well as interest from other teams

if you keep crapping on your teams performance, other teams won't want you to soon

jlevel13

markot said:
Its a good game. But for some reason the presentation in this, Dirt 2 and Grid just reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly gets on my nerves... I dunno >.<

I just like the 'classier' approach of a GT game... or just something more simple.

Instead of doing the "career" mode, just go to "grand prix." You basically make your own season and don't have any of the interview RPG bullshit to do (I think). Time Trial mode too is completely straight-forward. Turn off all the assists and set it to expert - not perfect maybe whatever, but, pretty classy.

Choc

Banned
DarkJC said:
Races that are race distance 20% or larger have the pit rules enforced.

Anything less than that you don't have to pit.

edit: If you had it set to 20% and the AI still didn't pit, well, it sounds like we found some cheaters!

20% is the lowest you can go is it not? in Career anyway

So I did Qualy and got 8th, I fast forwarded through the rest (6 min remaining) and it was than ready for the race...wtf? I ended up 18th on the grid but it never gave me the option for Q2/Q3. Is that because of "short weekend"? whats the point of even doing a Q1 if you cant get better than X position.

Dragnet

Lion Heart said:
So I did Qualy and got 8th, I fast forwarded through the rest (6 min remaining) and it was than ready for the race...wtf? I ended up 18th on the grid but it never gave me the option for Q2/Q3. Is that because of "short weekend"? whats the point of even doing a Q1 if you cant get better than X position.

When you fast forwarded the other racers must of posted faster times and knocked you down. Also, during Quali did you get any grid place penalties at all?

Dragnet said:
When you fast forwarded the other racers must of posted faster times and knocked you down. Also, during Quali did you get any grid place penalties at all?

Ya 5 positions but it still told me I got 8th after that session, so 13 which should post me through..?

kitch9

Banned
Is there any fear of Steam ever unlocking the game in the UK, or do they find it fucking amusing that Uk'ers who bought the game after midnight can play straight away, and those that pre-ordered fucking cannot?

Never thought I'd say this but Valve and Codemasters are wankers for not making this happen.

Frawdder

Holy hell is Bahrain a shitacular track. Absolutely zero flow to it and that new part is completely horrible.

I need to calm down before the Melbourne GP.

Frawdder said:
Holy hell is Bahrain a shitacular track. Absolutely zero flow to it and that new part is completely horrible.

Ya I'm finally finished it, full laps was a BAD idea. Gave me a headache too.

PS3 games should have mandatory MLAA or you are not allowed to release a game on the system.

Lach

Damn wrong f1 topic...

Anyway...Played a bit last night. I quite like it. The second to hardest difficulty setting is the right thing for me at the moment to deliver a challenging race (I drive 2:00 when I don't make to many mistakes in Bahrain). 8th in qualifying, 4th in race.

sup.
PC or PS3?
if PC, will an intel 8400 @ 3.55ghz and a slightly overclocked 5850 Super VGA card provide me with an adequate gaming experience?
Thanks.

The Melbourne track is ssusper fun to race on. IMO

AcridMeat

Banned
Lion Heart said:

The AI posted better times knocking you down during those fast forwarded 6 minute, probably to ~ 13th. You said you had a 5 grid penalty so there's the 18.

By picking a short weekend there is no Q1, the qualifying session is the session you have before the race. I recommend to everyone playing career/GP's to pick Full weekend. You get the 3 practice and 3 qualifying sessions and you can fast forward to whichever part you like. You can even skip to different parts of the weekend (P1 to P2, 3) (Q1 to Q2, 3) etc. instead of having to fast forward remaining time.

edit: CurlySaysX, most definitely. I have a stock clocked 8400 with a 9800GT and I'm loving it. There does seem to be little burps of slow down during long sessions, but those only last a few seconds and seem to be few and far between.

acm2000 said:
are you using vga cable perchance?

No. It doesn't tear often. It's like GT5 Prologue.

The framerate however...

cowden_harley said:
ive got mine on 360. No slowdown or problems, i install to hdd.

AS for the games itself, i love it. Right blend of sim/arcade to make it a challenge but not a pain in the arse. Will get a lot of playtime from it.

You should play a race on Monaco. The slowdowns in the last corners are really bad.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
DarkJC said:
Races that are race distance 20% or larger have the pit rules enforced.

Anything less than that you don't have to pit.

edit: If you had it set to 20% and the AI still didn't pit, well, it sounds like we found some cheaters!
Darn Lotus, they never play by the rules.

On a serious note, the Cm forums have had multiple reports about AI not pitting at times during a race where they should (especially 20% it seems) so it is quite a widespread bug.

I have hit a few bugs myself, like using the Sector 1 shortcut in Practice and the car not responding or freezing when I am supposed to take control, forcing me to return to the pits.

Anyway, there are plenty of issues and bugs but in all honesty I enjoy the game too much to care. As long as Codemasters get a patch out there ASAP all will be well.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I did. 4 times.

It's now 9am and still not unlocked. Lots of people are having this issue it would seem.
That sucks, I hope it gets sorted quickly and you can get playing today.

lastplayed said:
I loved the original version, but the new corners really mess up the flow of the second sector.
Same, the original version wasn't bad, but sector 2 is now the most evil section of track in the F1 calendar.

elfinke

Been playing all day on PS3, and all hyperbole aside, it's a great looking and great racing game.

Overtaking in the wet around Melbourne was testicle tighteningly exciting, and I was very disappointed to finish in 18th after qualifying 13th (though a drive through penalty and a blown tyre didn't help!)

DFP, with custom settings (professional AI, all assists off, 30% races and full weekends). Haven't encountered the piut stop bug yet, thankfully.

PSN is <- username, if you're looking for a race, hit me up!

NHale

I found a bug yesterday during the qualifying of a Grand Prix online. It was my first time racing in Korea and I made a 1:34 in my first lap, at first I thought it was normal but then my 2nd lap I did even better but it was only a 1:45. The other people racing were around 1:48, but still they must have been pissed thinking I found a shortcut...

I remember seeing this bug also happen in a VVV gamer video, where someone posted a 1:18 in Bahrain. :lol

This game is full of bugs.

Exhausted but been having a blast with f1 2010 with my g27 wheel. Its been awhile since I used the wheel and the game looks pretty good. I still stink but I just started removing aids but still find driving line very valuable since I don't know how a lot of the tracks flow. Melbourne is scary wet. Going to bed and I hope I can get more wheel time this weekend.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Sorry if this has already been answered, is it possible to reduce the race distance in career to 10%?

Default is 20% and it can't be dropped below that in the paddock, but i'm sure in the manual (First manual i've looked at in Years!) it says race distance can be anywhere from 10%??

Sloane

Banned
NHale said:
This game is full of bugs.
Indeed. The odd results, the pit stops, and the punctured tires bother me most. Should have probably seen it coming considering how much emphasis Codemasters put on just the graphics marketing the game. Where's Helios now, by the way? :lol

And how does QA not notice bugs like the not pitting AI drivers?

acm2000

Sloane said:
Indeed. The odd results, the pit stops, and the punctured tires bother me most. Should have probably seen it coming considering how much emphasis Codemasters put on just the graphics marketing the game. Where's Helios now, by the way? :lol

punctures were in GRiD too, you run over car debris, you risk getting a puncture, same in this

they had to get the game out, and with relatively short dev life, theres bound to be bugs, pretty sure they are working on them now the team is back from post gold holiday

Sloane

Banned
acm2000 said:
punctures were in GRiD too, you run over car debris, you risk getting a puncture, same in this

they had to get the game out, and with relatively short dev life, theres bound to be bugs, pretty sure they are working on them now the team is back from post gold holiday
I'm not complaining about the punctures in general but about punctures that make no sense. I had new tires explode on the very first lap without driving over debris or braking too hard.

And I don't care if they 'had to get the game out', most of the bugs are so common and obvious they should have been fixed before the release.

Lucius86

Banned
Sloane said:

They probably had a very strict deadline. A title like this cannot be put back another 2-3 months when the seasons over :/

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Blackvette94 said:
Hey Isamu!

I have the following system:
i7 980x @ 4.5ghz
6gb DDR3 @ 2000mhz
gtx480 @ 900mhz

and I doubt at 1080p with 4AA and 16 AF with max details I will even get a constant 60fps. Have you tried it on your system yet? If you get that kind of fps with those settings then I am in the clear ;)

Hi Black. Damn what a beast of a system you have. I'm jealous! :D

Yeah I've tried. But I can only play it on my laptopn at the moment since my pc is in rma repair. Kinda a bummer but laptop can actually run the game kinda good. Average around 35-40fps.

Zoink

I got the game last night and did a quick 20% Melbourne wet race on expert, it was awesome! I chose the Lotus and got a P12 quali, and noticed it was recommending inters...screw that! I picked full wets hoping the other cars would all pick inters and have to pit and I could stay out on the wets... and they did. By lthe last lap all my tires were red and I had Hamilton on my ass weaving about. Unfortunately in my enthusiasm to block him I spun on the penultimate corner and ended up facing the wall. By the time I had reversed and got back on track, I ended up 10th. Damnit!

senahorse

Another game crossfire doesn't help (at least with a 4870X2)

Turned on I get ~40 fps, disabled it sits on 60fps 95 % of the time, this is with v10.9

edit: Awesome game, having a blast with the G25 in front of the plasma :D

Foliorum Viridum said:
I did. 4 times.

It's now 9am and still not unlocked. Lots of people are having this issue it would seem.
Yep, it's a Steam issue. Codemasters said they wanted it unlocked after midnight (originally it was to be unlocked at 6pm UK time). I have a feeling it will be unlocked at 6pm UK time.
Got to admit that is really shitty. All I can do as a consumer is write a nasty letter to Steam, which I will do.
Just to be clear. What's happened would be like buying a game from a shop only to find there's no disc and then going back to be told you might get it later. Really fucked up.

Surfheart

So my pet hate about PC gaming, the dreaded stutter, has reared it's ugly head for me in F1.

With a framerate that never manages to quite hit 60 nor drops below 30, I suffer the bouncing hell of something in between.

Anyone got any recommendations for the magic setting that gives a fairly consistent 60 fps?

I've tried a few different settings in game, but it's annoying that graphics settings can't be changed on the fly such as in Dirt2. I have to go back to the paddock, change the setting, go back to the race and so on.

Im running a Q6600@ 3.2Ghz, 4Gbs ram and a GTX 295 (I've confirmed the game is running in sli) GPU usage across both cores is around 70% so it would appear that my CPU is bottlenecking.

Anyone with a similair rig?

woeds

For all the people using aids, turn off the driving line! it makes the game so much more fun. I noticed that using the driving line I didn't learn the track at all, it was just a big qte-game. (green=throttle, red=brake). I'm slower now, but I adjusted the AI to compensate. Now I have to race like hell with my Lotus, to be fastest of the new teams. As it should be :D

senahorse

woeds said:
For all the people using aids, turn off the driving line! it makes the game so much more fun. I noticed that using the driving line I didn't learn the track at all, it was just a big qte-game. (green=throttle, red=brake). I'm slower now, but I adjusted the AI to compensate. Now I have to race like hell with my Lotus, to be fastest of the new teams. As it should be :D

I found the exact same thing. As I haven't played an F1 game in many years I started on medium and discovered the line was on for corners. It is infinitely more fun and rewarding with it turned off :D

Top Bottom