• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

stewy

Got this last night and did a 50% race on Bahrain on the standard difficulty setting. I can't tell if I like this difficulty yet or not.

Driving a Lotus, I managed to get P2. I spun on the first turn and ended up at the back of the grid. Then I drove myself up into the top 10 before I had to pit. After that I drove myself up to P3.

But as the race wound down, the car got almost impossible to handle. I can't figure if it was tire wear or a low fuel unloading the rear end during some of the bad turns or if I'm really just overthinking the whole thing :)

Either way, I ended up 13th. A bit disappointing, but at the same time, a more realistic result for that car. The fact that I was able to tear through the field like that, though, makes me think the difficulty is set way too low.

Not sure if I even had a point when I started typing this... :)

Lach

stewy said:
Got this last night and did a 50% race on Bahrain on the standard difficulty setting. I can't tell if I like this difficulty yet or not.

Driving a Lotus, I managed to get P2. I spun on the first turn and ended up at the back of the grid. Then I drove myself up into the top 10 before I had to pit. After that I drove myself up to P3.

But as the race wound down, the car got almost impossible to handle. I can't figure if it was tire wear or a low fuel unloading the rear end during some of the bad turns or if I'm really just overthinking the whole thing :)

Either way, I ended up 13th. A bit disappointing, but at the same time, a more realistic result for that car. The fact that I was able to tear through the field like that, though, makes me think the difficulty is set way too low.

Not sure if I even had a point when I started typing this... :)

I had a similar experience. Second in Qualifying, won the Race by 15 seconds.

Restarted the season on the next difficulty setting (second to hardest). It's quite right for me. I feel I could reach the first place if I drive a good race, but I usually don't.
[edit]had to put in driving lines and automatic gear back in though.

stewy

I think I might bump up the difficulty and try again. I just wish I could figure out why I was having so much trouble at the end of the race.

Of course, it was 1am and I'm getting old, so maybe I was just too tired to run a good line :)

Lach

Well after the pitstop your new tires take a while to heat up and don't have too much grip for a while..
[edit] I'm not sure how it works but I think it's also a different type of tires so you'll have gernally slightly different handling.

Yoritomo

woeds said:
For all the people using aids, turn off the driving line! it makes the game so much more fun. I noticed that using the driving line I didn't learn the track at all, it was just a big qte-game. (green=throttle, red=brake). I'm slower now, but I adjusted the AI to compensate. Now I have to race like hell with my Lotus, to be fastest of the new teams. As it should be :D

I'd actually say the driving line slows you way down.

stewy

Lach said:
Well after the pitstop your new tires take a while to heat up and don't have too much grip for a while..
[edit] I'm not sure how it works but I think it's also a different type of tires so you'll have gernally slightly different handling.

yeah, I figured that might be the case. but my handling got noticeably worse right at the end, when I had about 10 laps on my second set of tires.

jordyn11

Neo Member
Surfheart said:
So my pet hate about PC gaming, the dreaded stutter, has reared it's ugly head for me in F1.

With a framerate that never manages to quite hit 60 nor drops below 30, I suffer the bouncing hell of something in between.

Anyone got any recommendations for the magic setting that gives a fairly consistent 60 fps?

I've tried a few different settings in game, but it's annoying that graphics settings can't be changed on the fly such as in Dirt2. I have to go back to the paddock, change the setting, go back to the race and so on.

Im running a Q6600@ 3.2Ghz, 4Gbs ram and a GTX 295 (I've confirmed the game is running in sli) GPU usage across both cores is around 70% so it would appear that my CPU is bottlenecking.

Anyone with a similair rig?

It looks like it is related to the caching of replays to the hard drive, rather than the graphics setting.

Below is a fix that worked for me from the official forums:

Windows 7:

1. Delete original "yourcomputername" folder (and therefore replay folder and file) by exploring to ProgramData\Codemasters\FormulaOne\DataCache\

2. Open Command Prompt with admin privileges (search 'cmd' and right click on cmd.exe and select 'Run as Adminsitrator')

3. Use mklink to create the symbolic link. This is what I typed, but you must edit this with your own file directories:

mklink /D C:\ProgramData\Codemasters\FormulaOne\DataCache\yourcomputersname\ H:\Games\F12010\replay

4. When launching the game, the 2GB replay.pbf file will be written to the file location you have specified. If you write this file to another hard drive, resources are freed up for your OS and game performance should increase.

Any performance increases this has given me are within the margins of error.

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...egarding-frame-skips-low-fps-lags-game-3.html

Hope that helps

1-D_FTW

Jeez. I'm gonna have to do that. I'm running at a super silky framerate, but those hiccups are definitely an issue. Played career mode for the first time last night. I had a couple laps toward the end of my first race where it seemed to be happening on an alarming basis. Almost caused me to crash because it seemed like it was always in those go-kart corners.

itsgreen

Quite happy now with the game.. after my first FP

Thought the physics were a little iffy in the beginning, but got the hang of it.

All about flow :)

Got the 360 version btw, driving hard with automatic gears

1:59.7 with my lotus on Bahrain.

jordyn11

Neo Member
1-D_FTW said:
Jeez. I'm gonna have to do that. I'm running at a super silky framerate, but those hiccups are definitely an issue. Played career mode for the first time last night. I had a couple laps toward the end of my first race where it seemed to be happening on an alarming basis. Almost caused me to crash because it seemed like it was always in those go-kart corners.

Yea, for some reason it seems to happen more on the corners then on the straights.
I think it is worse for SSD drives as well.

Pretty poor optimisation from CM on this one cos the same approach (2gb replay on windows drive) is used for Grid and Dirt 2 also, but I didnt seem to suffer the same issue with those.

Also thanks CM for taking up close to 6gb across the 3 games on my Win Drive without telling me.

ksimm

Dear Valve / CM

I payed for your game 2 weeks ago, it's release day and I cannot play it
as it says it's not officially released.

For compensation, please send me a Gold Pass Ticket to Silverstone 2011.

Yours Steaming

ksimm. xxx

*cry*

itsgreen

Mother fucker.

there is no Q1 Q2 Q3 in the default mode...

I was sitting there thinking well P10 is pretty good, counting down the time in the garage...

Lach

itsgreen said:
Mother fucker.

there is no Q1 Q2 Q3 in the default mode...

I was sitting there thinking well P10 is pretty good, counting down the time in the garage...

It's right there in the manual. Though it's a bit stupid as it's the only thing that really differenciates short/long weekends. You can jump over the practice sessions and decide the length of the race (not what the race length options are in full weekend mode).

LALILULELO

Neo Member
maybe nitpicking..where is my TV style replay, with the lap time times from everybody etc.
For everything being so much based on the real thing I find the replays not getting me in the F1 mood at all, feels more like a random racer during the replays, very bare bones.
and why cant I switch the camera to a different car!?

style it into something like the real TV thing and make it just as informative to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BSOZhj_rdA&feature=related

Other moaning point is that in cockpit view I want the telemetry on the hud not only on the extemely small LED's on the wheel thanks for not giving me the option!
and the piss filter is still too much.

But apart from these flaws still like the game!:D

jlevel13

stewy said:
yeah, I figured that might be the case. but my handling got noticeably worse right at the end, when I had about 10 laps on my second set of tires.

hmm... depending on the tires and conditons, since you were running a reduced race, 10 laps doesn't equal ten laps of wear, but considerably more - so maybe your tires were worn out - that could/should give you a lot less grip

Hey guys. I'd love to say I have news right now, but I still don't have confirmation of a new time. So again, as soon as I know anything..

I'm hopeful Steam can sort this out before the 6pm original time. You're all being extremely patient under frustrating circumstances and I realise having no news is of little comfort at the moment, but I wanted to let you know.

This is ridiculous. How can there be such a lack of communication between Codemasters and Steam? Argh.

stewy

jlevel13 said:
hmm... depending on the tires and conditons, since you were running a reduced race, 10 laps doesn't equal ten laps of wear, but considerably more - so maybe your tires were worn out - that could/should give you a lot less grip

Yeah. I was running 50%.

Yoritomo

I know there was a bit of a backlash with the difficulty talk and all but there might be something wrong with the PC version. I shouldn't be lapping my teammate in a 17 lap race in shanghai on legendary ai setting.

GuessWho

of course I had to spin out on last corner of last lap losing 2 spots, 5th to 7th!!.
I was thinking of it while finishing up my last two laps, saying to myself for sure im going to spin out lat corner,, even though I was flawless all 12 laps. I don't use flashbacks, but now i'm thinking i should.

Sloane

Banned
List of bugs and errors ... and I've encountered almost all of them. :lol

I think I'll stop playing for now and wait for the patch that will hopefully come. The wrong race results and all those stupid things the AI does are just too annoying.

Sloane said:
List of bugs and errors ... and I've encountered almost all of them. :lol

I think I'll stop playing for now and wait for the patch that will hopefully come. The wrong race results and all those stupid things the AI does are just too annoying.
wow, that is a rather large list.

I like codemasters and their games but it seems F1 2010 was thrown out the door even after all that delay last year, maybe they should have delayed agian to 2011 :p

jambo

If anyone has ATI cards in Crossfire, disable AI in the Catalyst Control Center. I got a massive fps increase after disabling AI.

Loving it so far, racing in the wet is just amazing with everything set to High, just beautiful.

Probably going to get a racing wheel tomorrow, keyboard really isn't cutting it =P

legbone

just picked this up at lunch for my 360. was going to get a g27 and a ps3 copy but i don't have the money right now. christmas isn't too far away though. anyway, i can't wait to get home from work and get rolling!

jambo said:
If anyone has ATI cards in Crossfire, disable AI in the Catalyst Control Center. I got a massive fps increase after disabling AI.

Loving it so far, racing in the wet is just amazing with everything set to High, just beautiful.

Probably going to get a racing wheel tomorrow, keyboard really isn't cutting it =P
So you got a massive fps increase by disabling AI, which means that you also disabled cross fire. Great job, AMD.

Zoink

Theres some serious cheating going on in the Monza TT, blokes doing about 250mph at the start and has the acceleration of a photon lol.

Also, I love how the G27 rev lights light up. I find that really invaluable. Can't believe how much I have to shift in this game. I bet GT5 will feel like molasses.

Visually I hope they add more specularity to materials, saturate more colors. Loading seems a bit long, wish UI would have more info on split times, tire temp/wear info and more lap times.

Can't wait to play more tonight.

1-D_FTW

MiniBossBattle said:
Also, I love how the G27 rev lights light up. I find that really invaluable. Can't believe how much I have to shift in this game. I bet GT5 will feel like molasses.

Visually I hope they add more specularity to materials, saturate more colors. Loading seems a bit long, wish UI would have more info on split times, tire temp/wear info and more lap times.

This. I have to force myself to sit back far enough so I can keep them in my peripheral sightline. It's a fantastic aide. Really hope GT 5 supports this feature.

mclaren777

Not sure if this has been posted yet...

http://www.virtualr.net/f1-2010-camera-mods-released/

trG3L.jpg

slamskank

MiniBossBattle said:

Yeah. G25/27 wheel has great paddles, they're a godsend for this game.

AcridMeat

Banned
Is there any known time the patch will come? I think we can still do a pole position to get our grid set for the GAF Championship but as for the first race we should probably wait until at least the pit bug is fixed?

NHale

Does anyone know if custom grand prix is ranked?

And I just had another glitch in qualifying. This time another person posted a 1:37 in Bahrain. It's impossible to beat, so that takes the thrill of the qualifying.

Fix this shit Guerrilla.

Mihku

So how do you change tire compound during a race? At the start is was all sunny in Melbourne. Halfway it starts to rain, I pit but they still give me slicks. After a few more laps the track is like a lake, I pit again and they still give me slicks. Am I missing something or is this bug #679?

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Wax Free Vanilla said:
much better.

now they need to do this with the ps3 version and take away the piss filter so it looks something like this

That would be very welcome gift a piss filter option on/off

NHale

Mihku said:
So how do you change tire compound during a race? At the start is was all sunny in Melbourne. Halfway it starts to rain, I pit but they still give me slicks. After a few more laps the track is like a lake, I pit again and they still give me slicks. Am I missing something or is this bug #679?

Press down on the d-pad that opens the options menu during the race to change the type of tyres, engine and wing settings.

1-D_FTW

Mihku said:

Well on the G27, hitting the dpad allows you to change engine settings (something like Standard, performance, coast), move the wing up or down, and change tires. Obviously you can't change tires on the fly, so that must be pit orders. Not sure if the other two are pit orders, or actually done in real time.

Gowans

I'm getting a couple of hours online session together on 360 in 15mins if anyone wants in message me over live. Gowans007

moojito

Out of interest, does anyone know whether real f1 cars have any assists like abs, etc? I wouldn't want to gimp myself completely by turning everything off if I didn't have to.

edit: actually, I found a post about it, apparently there are none of those assists on proper f1 cars.

1-D_FTW

Harry_Tequila said:
I can sum up Time Trial in two words:

Lap invalidated

No, wait that's unfair, I need another three words:

Next lap invalidated

It's been explained (to prevent getting unfair speed heading into the next lap), but I feel you. And if you've posted a time, you can't hit restart or else your time isn't recorded. You can go into the garage and head back out. But quitting and restarting is a pain because load times are SOOOOOO long. I wish you could just restart without losing your posted laps.

Phthisis

moojito said:
Out of interest, does anyone know whether real f1 cars have any assists like abs, etc? I wouldn't want to gimp myself completely by turning everything off if I didn't have to.

edit: actually, I found a post about it, apparently there are none of those assists on proper f1 cars.

That's why the very first thing I did was turn off all driving aids. The cars stick to the track much more than I think they would, but Codemasters struck a good balance between sim and arcade in that regard. It's challenging but not too hard.

Top Bottom