• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

So I bought it this afternoon and got around to play it before and after dinner and I have to say wow.

This is the first racing game I encountered I really suck at. Even with all the assists on, I spin in pretty much every corner. Nevertheless, I am getting better. I did 30 laps around Monza and I found out that my problem is that I have to do all of this entirely different.

You see, in normal racing games, when you hit a curb or power out of a corner, and the car slides, there is no problem for you can 'drift' the car into place. An F1 car, not so much. When you make the slightest of mistakes, you are done for.

I noticed in games like Forza 3 that when I had to do a lot of laps on a track I didn't really like, I got into some kind of a trance, where I did not consciously knew what I was doing. It doesn't work like that in this game. You have to focus, focus, focus. But holy damn, that is amazing.

This is by far the most amazing F1 game I have ever played. If it is the most realistic, I don't know and I don't care. It's just really impressive and it really makes you feel like you are driving a 300kmh+ car. Amazing stuff.

I am off to do a couple of laps on Spa!

Burai

shitonmychest57
So, here I am with some buddies playing Party Time Trial. Whoo! Party!! Must be a fun mode, right? Right? Right?

As soon as you go off the circuit, your lap gets invalidated. Even if you put a single wheel over the white line, your time is wiped out. We've been playing for two hours and we've managed to post about three valid times after countless attempts.

How is this fun? None of us have played this game before, hardly anyone here is ever going to want to get good enough to be able to drive to the standards it expects. For some sort of serious competition or online leader board they might have a point. But for a pass-the-pad party game, they've utterly missed the mark.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Fantasmo said:
No demo, which triggered off the alarm bells for me straight away.
The game isn't bad, just full of bugs that will hopefully be sorted with patches (PC at least).

It shouldn't trigger alarm bells. The amount of work to get a demo completed would have pushed the release of the game past the end of the season. It's nothing to do with them trying to cover up the quality of the game.

moojito

Gah, I take ages to learn tracks! I was going round singapore for 20-30 laps and would still be going along without a clue as to what some of the next corners looked like.

The one track I know reasonably well, suzuka, I can do ok on, but that last chicane is a tricky bugger and looks slightly different from forza 2, so I'm always going far too fast for it.
Still, pretty nice game so far! A fair bit more forgiving than forza 2 for sure, but that's possibly not a bad thing.

Branson

Whats that mean when you press triangle/Y/top black button on g25, and the driver switches something on the wheel and the bar in front of the front wing turns red/white? Ive been trying to figure out wtf that does lol.

1-D_FTW

Branson said:
Whats that mean when you press triangle/Y/top black button on g25, and the driver switches something on the wheel and the bar in front of the front wing turns red/white? Ive been trying to figure out wtf that does lol.

Curious about that myself.

Always-honest said:
pretty silent release too

Not really. All the major sites reviewed it well before release date and Edge had the glowing final paragraph that would have pretty much sold any fence-sitter. Crappy games that are being hidden don't get reviewed until post launch.

Peterthumpa

Dilly said:
First on leaderboards at Interlagos with a 1.06.340.

C'mon GAF, show your times!
So, that's you. Burn in hell :lol
Still around the 1.13.500 but getting better. Driving with all assists off too.

So I just got home and jumped in to career. Driving with Virgin, and some assists on (ABS and breaking zone for corners).

I came 9th in qualifying, 2nd in the race. Isn't there options for AI difficulty? It felt way too easy. I looked in the "My F1" section of the menu for it but didn't see anything.

Anyway, I'm liking how it plays so far. I really need to learn the tracks, because just watching TV doesn't teach you them at all, and I'm looking forward to turning all assists off and spinning out lots. :lol

I get a constant 40-60fps on my PC too with everything maxed at 2048x1152. Looks really nice. Maybe not as mind blowing as Dirt 2, but hey.

PeteJ

Branson said:
Holy shit. I thought it had something to do with the front wing. Thanks.
Use the d-pad to alter the wings on the fly. You can also change the engine power and request different tyres.

Time trials are really bad in this, I hate how easily you can invalidate your lap (AND the next one!) just by putting a wheel off track. If I'm not gaining an advantage I don't see why it can't count. Practice and qualifying seem to be more forgiving.

Loving the race weekends although sector two in bahrain can go to hell.

I came 9th in qualifying, 2nd in the race. Isn't there options for AI difficulty? It felt way too easy. I looked in the "My F1" section of the menu for it but didn't see anything.
Took me a while to spot this too - when you go to start a Race weekend in career you have a difficulty page where you can select the assists...well if you scroll down there is a whole new page of options, including AI difficulty!

Deadman

I hope this game gets some good patches, but i dont really expect it will.

Ive had a puncture within the first 5 seconds of the race, which would be funny if it werent so annoying.

Ive also had a weird bug where when it rains it seems that for a long time it only affects the ai cars and not me. I was lapping 12 seconds faster than the ai when i was on slicks and they were all on wets when it was pouring down. Then out of no where i lost all grip upon arriving at a corner and then had to pit.

Pretty dissapointed :(

PeteJ said:
Took me a while to spot this too - when you go to start a Race weekend in career you have a difficulty page where you can select the assists...well if you scroll down there is a whole new page of options, including AI difficulty!
Ahh. Thanks buddy! I didn't think to look there at all. :lol

I have to say I don't like the UI of the game outside the actual races. Didn't in Dirt 2, either.

markao

I had a quick go at the game last night, before CIV 5 was unlocked, has my priority right now and probably for the next month at least :p

Overall game did not feel as polished as Dirt 2, to many little thing not quite there yet, were they should be. Starting and pitting are non events, timing is severely lacking throughout the game, besides the two sector times in the timing screen. Driving model, not driving enough to go to deep in to it, but first impression is that I feel to detached from what the car is doing, specially FFB is nonexistent , besides the too present rumble (curbs). AI is little miss and hit (randomness), do like the strictness in rule enforcement, at least if the AI gets a little less hectic. Biggest problem was low FOV in cockpit view, but modders already fixed that problem for me. Replay system, ofcourse in 2011 full FIA system, in DIRT was minimal but working, this time it is even further dumbed down.

Highlight so far, wet weather, love the fact there are no game-play shortcuts taken there, close to a car is full spray and no visibility at all and it really does look good. Models, cockpits, could have used some more detail and textures are sometimes just to low res. (driver hands for example).

For a first try at the genre, not too bad, but after recent standard setting titles, I expected a little more from Codies. I hope that when I’m done with CIV5, a patch and some modding have made some improvement to the game, so I don’t have to wait to F1 2011 ;)

And I captured my first 1 1/2 lap of my career event (all max setting and no aids), passed Schumi on the outside second corner –woooot- :D , with fraps and uploaded it to youtube.

LOTUS at Bahrain – (Youtube- HD)

And two different wet weather screenies, click for full res.

And yes, if you're wondering, I did miss my braking point for the upcomming corner :D

Phthisis

Foliorum Viridum said:
Anyway, I'm liking how it plays so far. I really need to learn the tracks, because just watching TV doesn't teach you them at all, and I'm looking forward to turning all assists off and spinning out lots. :lol

You can learn the tracks by participating in all the practice sessions. Go out on track and don't come in to the pits until you can close your eyes and see the corners. Usually takes me about 30 min- 1 hour to learn most tracks (places like Monza and Montreal are easier, though). I also recommend starting with the corner racing lines on, then when you feel like you have it, turn them off so you can learn to brake by landmark.

Also, in terms of spinning, I have all assists off and very rarely spin (except for corner 2 at Bahrain, where there's a huge divet at the apex; fuck that thing). The key is partial throttle. Accelerate slowly through the second half of a corner and straighten out as soon as possible.

If other racing games are anything to go by it takes me a lot longer than 30 minutes to really know a track. :'( I did about 20 minutes of practice and then another 10 or 15 in qualifying and when I got to the race I was still blagging my way through parts of the track. :lol

I intend to be playing this game for a long time, though, so that's okay :)

Yoshi256

Banned
Great game, I just need to find the right difficulty setting, Place 5 with Virgin is a little bit too good. ;)
I deactivated the brake assistant and ABS and it plays quite well, you need to learn the tracks, but the car drives quite solid if you don't drive too agressive.

Surfheart

jordyn11 said:
It looks like it is related to the caching of replays to the hard drive, rather than the graphics setting.

Below is a fix that worked for me from the official forums:

Windows 7:

1. Delete original "yourcomputername" folder (and therefore replay folder and file) by exploring to ProgramData\Codemasters\FormulaOne\DataCache\

2. Open Command Prompt with admin privileges (search 'cmd' and right click on cmd.exe and select 'Run as Adminsitrator')

3. Use mklink to create the symbolic link. This is what I typed, but you must edit this with your own file directories:

mklink /D C:\ProgramData\Codemasters\FormulaOne\DataCache\yourcomputersname\ H:\Games\F12010\replay

4. When launching the game, the 2GB replay.pbf file will be written to the file location you have specified. If you write this file to another hard drive, resources are freed up for your OS and game performance should increase.

Any performance increases this has given me are within the margins of error.

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...egarding-frame-skips-low-fps-lags-game-3.html

Hope that helps

Thanks for taking the time to post that. I've tried it and it's definately alleviated some of the slowdown that would occur a few laps in. But what i'm suffering is good old fashioned framerate issues. It's not as though my framerate is low.. The lowest I've seen is 35. It's the drop from 60 that makes the game feel choppy. An EVGA precision indicated 47fps and lower feels stuttery as hell.

1-D_FTW

Was just playing a GP event where the asshole CPU behind me would keep ramming into me on straights. I swear in less than two laps, I got four black flags. And it seemed like something was flying off every time. How many front wings did he have?

And in the GP race I tried to race just before that, the CPU in front spun out, and I slid right into his side. Couldn't go forward. Was blocked off by the sideways car parked in front of me. The cars behind couldn't go forward because I was blocking them. And the screen starts flashing its hostile message about me blocking the track. No shit, I can't move. Move the asshole in front of me instead of giving me the move your ass before you're disqualified flag.

Spent most of my time in TT and online. I really hope I don't have to turn off flags in this game. A most frustrating play session of non-sense.

1-D_FTW said:
Not really. All the major sites reviewed it well before release date and Edge had the glowing final paragraph that would have pretty much sold any fence-sitter. Crappy games that are being hidden don't get reviewed until post launch.
must have missed it all. I noticed it was out when i saw a friend on my friendlist playing it this evening.

Ok, played some actual race weekends for a bit and I can confirm that, yes, this game is goooooooooooood.

I'm using a 360 controller so am a little hamstrung but I'm getting used to it now. Picking Spa as my first track in time trial was not a good idea at all. Far too high speed while I'm getting used to it.

Mildly considering picking up a wheel if it continues to hold my attention. Any suggestions? Or should I just go with whatever Logitech are doing?

Oh, and, following another car in the rain is fucking terrifying. :D

Yoritomo

Harry_Tequila said:
Ok, played some actual race weekends for a bit and I can confirm that, yes, this game is goooooooooooood.

I'm using a 360 controller so am a little hamstrung but I'm getting used to it now. Picking Spa as my first track in time trial was not a good idea at all. Far too high speed while I'm getting used to it.

Mildly considering picking up a wheel if it continues to hold my attention. Any suggestions? Or should I just go with whatever Logitech are doing?

Oh, and, following another car in the rain is fucking terrifying. :D

Wheel hierarchy is
Logitech DFGT $80-$100
Fanatec Porsche Carrera Wheel $160 (cheapest wheel that has a clutch. Good wheel, not a fan of the pedals though.)
G27 $220-$270
Fanatec GT3RS V2 Clubsport edition $320-$370 (Adjustable everything stronger force feedback, all aluminum pedals with a load cell brake, etc etc.)

All are PS3 and PC compatible.

Sent

Yoritomo said:
Wheel hierarchy is
Logitech DFGT $80-$100
Fanatec Porsche Carrera Wheel $160 (cheapest wheel that has a clutch. Good wheel, not a fan of the pedals though.)
G27 $220-$270
Fanatec GT3RS V2 Clubsport edition $320-$370 (Adjustable everything stronger force feedback, all aluminum pedals with a load cell brake, etc etc.)

I just picked up a Logitech DFP any recommended settings to use ingame (and anything outside the game I can config?)

Yoritomo

Sent said:
I just picked up a Logitech DFP any recommended settings to use ingame (and anything outside the game I can config?)

I'd set it so you're only using about 270 of the wheels rotation. On gear driven wheels I'd also suggest lowering the environmental feedback.

Yoritomo said:
Wheel hierarchy is
Logitech DFGT $80-$100
G27 $220-$270

Thanks. :)

Don't think I'm quite ready for the GT3RS or the G27. :D Think I'll have a look into the Porsche Carrera one.

Sent

Yoritomo said:
I'd set it so you're only using about 270 of the wheels rotation. On gear driven wheels I'd also suggest lowering the environmental feedback.

How do I set the rotation if you dont mind me asking?

*edit: I think I found it thanks

Harry_Tequila said:
Thanks. :)

Don't think I'm quite ready for the GT3RS or the G27. :D Think I'll have a look into the Porsche Carrera one.

I dont know if you live in the US but I got my wheel off Craigslist for pretty cheap

Leunam

I just realized I have a map of every circuit saved on my hard drive complete with racing line and gear indication. :lol

bahrain.jpg

Smash88

Banned
30fps maxed out with x16aa on a Q6600 @ 3.2GHZ and GTX470. Gonna lower the AA to x4 since it seems unnecessary at a resolution of 1920x1080.

Terrible port job.

Sent

Smash88 said:
30fps maxed out with x16aa on a Q6600 @ 3.2GHZ and GTX470. Gonna lower the AA to x4 since it seems unnecessary at a resolution of 1920x1080.

Terrible port job.

Strange :'(

AcridMeat

Banned
I keep turning settings down and I'm not seeing any boost in framerate, the slowdowns are just as frequent. :/

Also, had my second P2 finish in a row at Malaysia. :D

I would have had first, but with 3 laps left I spun out and lost it.

jambo

AFAIK they are going to patch in DX11

Smash88 said:

Terrible port job.
Runs great on my i7 870 @ 2560x1600 all high.

Maybe your 3 and a half year old CPU is at fault ;)

Gowans

I played this online with a bunch of mates last night. Such a good time. One of my mates was having a mare tho as he was last everytine and he's usable shit hot. He blamed other racing games for messing up his break points on tracks.

Great time.

I'm totally picking this game up once the price drops. I can't imagine it will take that long in North America.

I just don't have time to play it with Halo: Reach right now, and I'm only a casual fan of F1 Racing in general. But the reviews are great, the developer pedigree is there and damn the GRID/DIRT engine is beautiful.

AcridMeat

Banned
Of course when I decide it's time to turn off the suggested lines to learn the track and turn traction control completely off I get two sessions in a row in pouring rain. :lol

kitch9

Banned
Nice,

I deleted the replay file and then set it to read only and I'm now getting 60FPS V Sync locked at 1080p maxxed with 8xAA and 16x AF NO STUTTERING!!

i7 920 @ 4.0ghz
6gb ram
2x460 1GB's

I'm finding this game tough with aids off, but its how I roll....

Put a bit more time into this and it isn't too bad but the 18+ second pit stops almost kills it for me. So fucking annoying that you see cars pit in and out whilst you sit there.
There are occasional freezes in the 360 version too which is a ball ache when in a corner.

dk_

I've the PC version and accidentaly chose the wrong language. Is there an *.ini or something where I can switch to English after the installation?

itsgreen

Fantasmo said:
Put a bit more time into this and it isn't too bad but the 18+ second pit stops almost kills it for me. So fucking annoying that you see cars pit in and out whilst you sit there.
There are occasional freezes in the 360 version too which is a ball ache when in a corner.

yeah I cant believe that slipped through QA. It totally destroys your race if your race isnt too long...

Top Bottom