• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

moojito

dk_ said:
I've the PC version and accidentaly chose the wrong language. Is there an *.ini or something where I can switch to English after the installation?

Fernando es más rápido que tú, puede confirmar que entiende el mensaje?

That's all you need to know.

NHale

moojito said:
Fernando es más rápido que tú, puede confirmar que entiende el mensaje?

That's all you need to know.

:lol

Played online last night and it was very easy to win even when someone crashes against you in the 1st corner. Most people don't know how to brake so it's easy to win if you know the tracks and don't make mistakes.

Unfortunately, people are still assholes online, I was winning all races and a bunch of guys joined to crash against me in every opportunity, I even had one guy wait one lap for me to pass by him so he could try crash against me.

And then when I had one clean race with one guy, I managed to overtake him after he made a mistake in the last lap, but then he raged and crashed full speed against my rear in the last corner. I spinned out of the track but still managed to get 1st place because he was DSQ and the 3rd place was 30 seconds behind.

I simply can't understand why people play racing games if the only thing they want to do is crash. If you want to do that play games like Burnout ffs...

fresquito

NHale said:

Played online last night and it was very easy to win even when someone crashes against you in the 1st corner. Most people don't know how to brake so it's easy to win if you know the tracks and don't make mistakes.

Unfortunately, people are still assholes online, I was winning all races and a bunch of guys joined to crash against me in every opportunity, I even had one guy wait one lap for me to pass by him so he could try crash against me.

And then when I had one clean race with one guy, I managed to overtake him after he made a mistake in the last lap, but then he raged and crashed full speed against my rear in the last corner. I spinned out of the track but still managed to get 1st place because he was DSQ and the 3rd place was 30 seconds behind.

I simply can't understand why people play racing games if the only thing they want to do is crash. If you want to do that play games like Burnout ffs...
Playing LFS Demo servers. The race is about to start. X guy enters the game. 1st corner, X guy crashes. X guy leaves the server.

I wish a thunder stroke X guy. Sad thing is, there're lots of X guys.

1-D_FTW

jambo said:
AFAIK they are going to patch in DX11

Runs great on my i7 870 @ 2560x1600 all high.

Maybe your 3 and a half year old CPU is at fault ;)

I hate to tell you, but the CPUs have been stuck in an absolute time warp.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/56?vs=143

The percentage gains between an overclocked q6600 (which can go quite high) and the chips being sold today isn't that much. You wouldn't think a 3.5 year old chip would be within 20 percent of a similar clocked chip today, but it is.

There is flat out something wrong with his setup. He should be running that at a locked 60fps.

fresquito said:
Playing LFS Demo servers. The race is about to start. X guy enters the game. 1st corner, X guy crashes. X guy leaves the server.

I wish a thunder stroke X guy. Sad thing is, there're lots of X guys.

As sacrilege as this may sound to some of you guys, I was really expecting to be able to play this game online in ghost mode. It seems like most of my favorite online racers have enabled this as an option to counter just how awful the average pube is. I don't think I'll be playing much online for this very reason. Which makes the shitty AI/flags in the GP all the more frustrating.

In my grid days on 360 I would try to play online and because my rank was "rookie" since I just bought the game and it wasn't "elite" or something people would kick me from the room, annoying but fair enough they don't know if I can race or not.

When I did get into a race with other players who were elites or legends they would race to the first corner and they all use to think the racing line was theirs, crash out and people like me who think a bit would pass them, stupid thing is they would all vote to kick me the next race anyway :/

The only online codemasters game I never had problems with was dirt 2, different type of lobby setup and more ghost races then collision based ones.

Anyone know what's the deal with the R&D screen on the pit monitor? Do you have to be the number 1 driver to make use of it, or does moving the sliders actually have some affect on something? There's fuck all info in the manual about it...

Frawdder

NHale said:

I just experienced this. Not so much the people who crash on purpose, but the people who don't know how to brake for the first, or any, corner. Starting at the back has been great most of the time because you can view the carnage from a safe distance and then avoid all of it.

Also, starting on pole at Monaco in an online race with randoms is a sure fire way to get punted into the barrier on the first turn (not that it's terribly different on other tracks, just Monaco doesn't give you any room to run wide).

1-D_FTW

rogue_pigeon said:
Anyone know what's the deal with the R&D screen on the pit monitor? Do you have to be the number 1 driver to make use of it, or does moving the sliders actually have some affect on something? There's fuck all info in the manual about it...

I know it's tempting to doze off during the long loading screens, but there's some decent info. Including the fact only the number one driver gets to choose R&D.

NHale

1-D_FTW said:
As sacrilege as this may sound to some of you guys, I was really expecting to be able to play this game online in ghost mode. It seems like most of my favorite online racers have enabled this as an option to counter just how awful the average pube is. I don't think I'll be playing much online for this very reason. Which makes the shitty AI/flags in the GP all the more frustrating.

In custom grand prix online I'm 99,9% sure you can turn collisions off. It takes a big part of the racing but having people trying to ruin your race isn't racing also.

Diablohead said:
The only online codemasters game I never had problems with was dirt 2, different type of lobby setup and more ghost races then collision based ones.

I believe that's because DiRT 2 is a different type of racing, so contact is expected. At least for me it was easier to understand the 1st corner mess because since we are driving buggies or rally cars in a dirt track it's not easy to mantain a perfect racing line. In F1 games I'm not expecting a guy to not use the brake "pedal" at all...

1-D_FTW said:
I know it's tempting to doze off during the long loading screens, but there's some decent info. Including the fact only the number one driver gets to choose R&D.

Unlike Dirt and GRID, I think the UI is a mess in F1. You can't find the options you're looking for. For example, the My F1 menu doesn't appear after a career race, you have to go "Inside" and then leave for it to appear, but the outside UI is still the same.

By the way, in the loading screens they mention that you have to change engines during a season to avoid tired engines, but I looked everywhere and I can't find where to change it.

1-D_FTW said:

Yes I saw that, hence why I asked if indeed that was the case - but the confusion comes from the fact that you still have access to the screen, and you can still move the sliders. There's just sod all information about what's going on.

Similarly, in my last practice session my engineer came on the radio and said something along the lines of "Bruno is faster than you in all three sectors, you might want to take a look at his set up... perhaps even copy it". As far as I can tell, there's no way to view your team mate's set up...

jlevel13

Reading what seems like a lot of people complaining about the online, confirming what I expected & why I'm so far avoiding online. Just imagine if there were 24 human players on the grid! Perhaps after the game has been around for a while & more people have learned the tracks there will be slightly better odds of finding a good race? I personally don't understand why people would play online just to grief - don't really see the fun there - but it does seem to be the straight car racing game plague. It's surprising though that there's no ghost mode, as honestly, I think that's the only way average people could have a good race online (without investing a bunch of time to slowly get together a group of serious players). In DiRT 2, if for some reason I was getting frustrated with too many intentional collisions, but still felt like racing, being able to move over to the ghost mode made for a nice relief. In Time Trial party are you also not ghosts - has anybody tried it out?

Sent

Frawdder said:
I just experienced this. Not so much the people who crash on purpose, but the people who don't know how to brake for the first, or any, corner. Starting at the back has been great most of the time because you can view the carnage from a safe distance and then avoid all of it.

Also, starting on pole at Monaco in an online race with randoms is a sure fire way to get punted into the barrier on the first turn (not that it's terribly different on other tracks, just Monaco doesn't give you any room to run wide).

If the race is 3+ laps I haven't had a problem just waiting for people in front to spin out or make a mistake then just pass them. I think I've only had a race against one guy who intentionally tried to run me off the track. :D

Az

Spent about two days with this game now. It is not pretty on consoles but looks okay enough for me to have fun racing. I did not start a Career but am doing some time trials and was racing online for a bit. Regarding the online part most races were 4-6 people max with people quitting when crashing etc. Can't believe that I am the only guy from the US when joining lobbies, mostly I hear Italian and Spanish. But online is fun if you join the lobbies without driving assists since those people seem to be more serious.

Today is a relaxing day, it's raining out so I'll be on the track.

Lucius86

Banned
Well - I love it so far. It's nice to be racing in an F1 game again :D

I got a 1.58.4 at bahrain in the Lotus, although I was crashing an awful lot beforehand. I need to seriously need to improve my consistency for the Gaf championship.

There have been a few annoying glitches - I remember applying too much gas coming out of the corner, should have spun, car turned 90 degrees and then my correction righted the car perfectly. I should have been in the barrier!!

Oh, and I fucking HATE bahrain :lol

moojito

I don't get all the Bahrain hate. The zig zaggy bit in the middle isn't any worse than say, the start of Suzuka. And I love those massive straights at the end, there.

Lucius86

Banned
moojito said:
I don't get all the Bahrain hate. The zig zaggy bit in the middle isn't any worse than say, the start of Suzuka. And I love those massive straights at the end, there.

They have no flow at all. No satisfaction driving through it.

Leunam

moojito said:

Suzuka is far far better. The first double apex corner and then the corners before and after Dunlop can be taken so much faster than anything in sector 2 of Bahrain.

itsgreen said:
I just finished 11th and won the race.

In the results it said I lapped everyone.

(was in China by the way)
Lame, how did these bugs all slip through the net? :(

I'm holding off buying until a meaty patch hits.

Leunam

Qualified for Pole in Monza earlier with my Sauber. Raced a 5 lap race and only Vettel pitted, I think. Was never called in to pit, and didn't take away my win.

AcridMeat

Banned
Lucius86 said:
Well - I love it so far. It's nice to be racing in an F1 game again :D

I got a 1.58.4 at bahrain in the Lotus, although I was crashing an awful lot beforehand. I need to seriously need to improve my consistency for the Gaf championship.

There have been a few annoying glitches - I remember applying too much gas coming out of the corner, should have spun, car turned 90 degrees and then my correction righted the car perfectly. I should have been in the barrier!!

Oh, and I fucking HATE bahrain :lol

Exactly right, I'm frightened of not being consistent when we get around to the qualifying. I'll need to do all of my schoolwork ahead of time so I can just spend an hour learning the track we're on.

Cide

I think Singapore is by far the worst track in the game. Way too many low speed, almost 90 degree corners and it tooks forever to get used to. It's just annoying to drive around. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

It's funny... I was playing it the other day and was thinking how bad it is, then I tuned into Practice 1 on Friday morning and all the drivers were bitching about it as well.

Sent

Cide said:
I think Singapore is by far the worst track in the game. Way too many low speed, almost 90 degree corners and it tooks forever to get used to. It's just annoying to drive around. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

It's funny... I was playing it the other day and was thinking how bad it is, then I tuned into Practice 1 on Friday morning and all the drivers were bitching about it as well.

I dunno I've gotten used to it and it's pretty fun now.

Right, so I'm driving with all assists off and doing rubbish. :lol It's GREAT fun, however. It feels like I am a rookie and learning how to tame the car. It will be a long time before I reach the top 3 (or 10...) but it's going to be greatly satisfying when I do. I haven't had time to do a full race and manage tyres/petrol etc so I really want to do this. Just so happens the damn game has been released at the end of Freshers week and I have a lot of real life shit to do.

At this rate, I expect to finish last in the GAF races, so feel free during them to look down on me as the big teams do the 6 new guys in the real F1. :D My only hope is to not wipe anyone out, unless you like Schumacher in which case I'll probably aim for you on the first corner. ;)

Also, I just posted a couple of screenshots I took here and here. Didn't want to stretch this thread by posting them around these parts.

AcridMeat

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Right, so I'm driving with all assists off and doing rubbish. :lol It's GREAT fun, however. It feels like I am a rookie and learning how to tame the car. It will be a long time before I reach the top 3 (or 10...) but it's going to be greatly satisfying when I do. I haven't had time to do a full race and manage tyres/petrol etc so I really want to do this. Just so happens the damn game has been released at the end of Freshers week and I have a lot of real life shit to do.

At this rate, I expect to finish last in the GAF races, so feel free during them to look down on me as the big teams do the 6 new guys in the real F1. :D My only hope is to not wipe anyone out, unless you like Schumacher in which case I'll probably aim for you on the first corner. ;)

Also, I just posted a couple of screenshots I took here and here. Didn't want to stretch this thread by posting them around these parts.

You're absolutely not alone sir. At least we'll have some competition at the back of the grid.

GuessWho

hmm found a new bug, if you want to call it that. If you edit profile mid career, like lets say change your name, then save then exit game. Well when you go boot the game back, it will say corrupt save data, please create a new save file. So yeah had to restart my career. URGH

DarkJC

moojito said:

The start of Suzuka is awesome! It doesn't compare to S2 of Bahrain at all. Like someone else said, sector 2 of Bahrain has no flow. I agree with you that the straights and the high speed corners at the end are very fun though.

Razgreez

This game is seriously pissing me off. When i attempt to quell wheel-spin at low speed by shifting into a higher gear it still spins (playing with all aids off). It's as if 100% of the torque is available 100% of the time. What's worse is every time i lose traction i spin no matter what and i seem to often lose traction at low speed while travelling in a straight line. I'm basically so late on the power for fear of wheel-spin it's ridiculous. Haven't read too much of this thread but surely i cant be alone.

Lucius86

Banned
I love how the pit girls outfits change depending at which track you are in career mode :lol

@Razfreez - thats how 80% of my issues lie - but I am guessing I just need to learn how to play with the throttle better.

Edit: Oh, and screw codemasters for forgetting to put my name in their audio databank. Luke is the 10th most popular name in Ireland, and 20th in the UK :(

Razgreez

Lucius86 said:
@Razfreez - thats how 80% of my issues lie - but I am guessing I just need to learn how to play with the throttle better.

Trust me i've been feathering the throttle like a friggin fairy to great effect in racing games since i can remember yet in this case it doesnt help. As soon as you touch the throttle pedal, ,however slightly, and you here those revs climb too quickly it's spin time. I'll be going 60km/h in 4th and the car will still spin. Yes it's consistent so i'm learning to cope with it but it's unrealistic. It's as if the game is saying "we dont expect you to press the throttle there so just dont do it - or else"

I should add that i've only been driving the lotus at the moment so perhaps it's just this car or perhaps it's my setup however the changes i've made setup wise in attempt to improve the out of corner grip just makes my overall lap time slower and still doesnt seem to help with the fact that i'm wheel spinning out of corners in 4th and 5th gear at low speed

Edit: I've deleted and edited that replay.pbf file and the game is running a lot smoother. Throttle input also seems somewhat more responsive

Mad_Ban

How does the main engineer work in this?

Is it like SBK X where he asks you questions about the handling/speed/grip and then you can go further in depth to try a new setup change?

Or is it basically you have to adjust everything?

AcridMeat

Banned
Mad_Ban said:
How does the main engineer work in this?

Is it like SBK X where he asks you questions about the handling/speed/grip and then you can go further in depth to try a new setup change?

Or is it basically you have to adjust everything?

You can do basic set up tweaks, from wet to adaptable to dry (3 in each category I believe), but you can also get down and dirty with every little piece and tweak those if you like.

So I decided that I wanted to play this game in a very particular way. I started the career this afternoon and I am doing the Long Race Weekend. I did all three practice runs which I think surpassed 30 laps or so. Then I did all three qualifications rounds. I know Bahrain pretty well now, but I still make mistakes. It's such a weird track.

The 2nd sector with the left, right, left, right, left, right and then fast corner where you pretty much cut it off unintentionally every time, is really annoying. The fast corners are really cool though. What I love is that I didn't know Bahrain at all before this, and if I were there in real life with my own car, I could drive it.

I am doing the race tomorrow. I'll do 30%. The laps are quite long so I guess it'll take me 40 minutes or so. I hope the pit problem won't kick in and if it does I'll just pit a lap later or earlier. I am really excited to see where I can finish. I should alter the difficulty level for the next race, because I have it on Medium now, which is way too easy, because I got an easy pole position in my Toro Rosso.

I'll post my results tomorrow!

olimpia84

I finally got my hands on this game and started Career Mode with Lotus. I did very well in qualifying placing the car on 12th place. When the race started I managed to go up all the way into 5th place but then screwed up and had a few spins that left me in 8th place. What I don't understand is that when I went into the pits (one stop strategy since I'm only playing 20% distance) I lost a ton of positions and came out in 17th place. I quickly recovered and managed to finish 12th but it's a bit annoying on how all the cars stay in one 'pack' and there is not a big time difference between the last car and the first one. It seems like the cars are all together for most of the race which is annoying because it's not realistic at all. I was expecting in being lapped but that never happened.
Maybe this is because I'm playing 20% distance but I think they should be able to scale it down so it feels realistic no matter on what race distance you choose.

I haven't tried the online portion yet but I think I'll wait a bit and hope that all the crashing clowns go away.

Roxas

I decided to play a full race of the Singapore GP to honour tomorrows race. I chose Hamilton, qualified 7th on the grid. The difficulty was the one below Expert. So i start the race, get a really good start, jump up to 4th. I stay 4th for about 5 laps. Then as i was coming to a corner, i got a little too cautious and braked way to early. Next thing i know, ive been shunted from behind, and i go FLYING literally through the air, into the barriers on the side.i drop from 4th to 12th, my race in tatters. I carried on, using the pits to my advantage and some crafty overtaking, i managed to finish the race in 6th.

Oh, and the culprit of the crash? Who else...

sebastian-vettel.jpg

"Hai guys"

I love this game, so realistic. :lol

Chris R

Leunam said:
Try Yas Marina in Abu Dhabi, has the longest straight of any track.
That or Monza, fastest overall track on the calendar.

edit: Monza might not be enough. Speed Trap this year clocked at 217mph :/

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
moojito said:
A mod should change the title of this thread to 'official f1 2010 thread of yes, we know, just pit a lap later'
:lol :lol

Also: Fuck you Codemasters. On my 2nd race in Australia, in the lead and I pit on lap 5 for the Prime tyre. It all goes well and I re-join 4th, all of a sudden, blam, my rear right goes and I'm in a wall. Forgetting about the rewinds I rage quit in disgust.

Come on, I know blow-outs happen but just AFTER I pit? that's just low. :(

Lucius86

Banned
Well I just finished a 100% distance on Aussie - finished 15th (legend ai, all assists off). But then the game crashed before the autosave, so I did the 20% race distance and ended up 4th!! Lotus have never been so happy...

I love Melbourne, I got my race lap times in a Lotus down to 1.30 dead after starting out at 1.33.

Finally tried the multi player and I'm never going to play it again. Every corner if someone was behind me they hit me every time in every game I played.

Mr Solo Dolo said:
Any tips on getting the reach 220mph achievement Is there a specific track or does it come down to set up?

Super easy. Just go to Time Trial, pick a Ferrari, choose Monza, set up your car entirely to the right of the scale (highest top speed, lot of oversteer) with the Engineer and go. Just keep going, don't bother braking for the corner, just keep going.

NHale

Codemasters needs to patch the game so we can see the difference to the car ahead and behind you.

Right now the info they give you in the HUD is the lap times of the cars around and that's not the most important info in a race. And if the car ahead/behind is more than 10 seconds ahead/behind you can't see the lap times either...

Dragnet

Just went online for the first time and was messing around with the tyre setups. I was surprised to see the game told me about the state of the tyres, how many of each set I had left and when I selected a tyre, which set I'd like to use. Is the game supposed to tell me this stuff in Career mode? Because it doesn't. I don't get any details on how many sets I have left or the state of the tyres. :(

Codemasters needs to patch the game so we can see the difference to the car ahead and behind you.

Right now the info they give you in the HUD is the lap times of the cars around and that's not the most important info in a race. And if the car ahead/behind is more than 10 seconds ahead/behind you can't see the lap times either...

Also this.

Top Bottom