• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

NHale said:
Codemasters needs to patch the game so we can see the difference to the car ahead and behind you.

Right now the info they give you in the HUD is the lap times of the cars around and that's not the most important info in a race. And if the car ahead/behind is more than 10 seconds ahead/behind you can't see the lap times either...

There are rumblings on the codies forums that as well as the a.i times being made up, so are the race lap times. It might explain why there are no split times, as if there were, you'd see a disparity between the time you were told, and the actual distance on track, provided the car were in sight.

Juicy Bob

state_vector_collapse said:
There are rumblings on the codies forums that as well as the a.i times being made up, so are the race lap times. It might explain why there are no split times, as if there were, you'd see a disparity between the time you were told, and the actual distance on track, provided the car were in sight.

You're right.

That said, reading the Codemasters forum makes me embarrassed to be an F1 fan...

DarkJC

If true this is pretty damn disappointing...

UFRA

So, for those of you who also owned F1 Championship Edition, how big of a difference is there with F1 2010?

I always loved F1 games, but last played them for PS2 (F1 2001 and F1 2002). I want to buy F1CE in some ways just to have the old roster and play as some of my favorite drivers from those games (Montoya, Raikkonen).

However, if F1 2010 is a drastic step as far as better graphics, features, handling, etc. I may just get that instead. I'm a little disappointed in F1 2010 in the first place just looking at the HUD.

Enlighten me please, F1 GAFers. :)

Smash88

Banned
I must admit this isn't my first Codemasters game that has had bad fps. Dirt 2 was also wonky with my fps although more stable than this. This is either 35fps or under or 60fps at the menu.

moojito

UFRA said:
So, for those of you who also owned F1 Championship Edition, how big of a difference is there with F1 2010?

I always loved F1 games, but last played them for PS2 (F1 2001 and F1 2002). I want to buy F1CE in some ways just to have the old roster and play as some of my favorite drivers from those games (Montoya, Raikkonen).

However, if F1 2010 is a drastic step as far as better graphics, features, handling, etc. I may just get that instead. I'm a little disappointed in F1 2010 in the first place just looking at the HUD.

Enlighten me please, F1 GAFers. :)

For getting an experience of what it's like driving an f1 car round these tracks, it's excellent. I've not tried multiplayer, but you can see yourself the impressions (full of lamers) and the career (dodgy bugs). But if like me you just want to get in and crank out some laps, it's pretty damn awesome.

shigsy

moojito said:
For getting an experience of what it's like driving an f1 car round these tracks, it's excellent. I've not tried multiplayer, but you can see yourself the impressions (full of lamers) and the career (dodgy bugs). But if like me you just want to get in and crank out some laps, it's pretty damn awesome.

Couldn't agree more. I'm a big F1 fan and have been striving for the holy grail that is a realistic F1 game for as long as I can remember (starting with the Geoff Crammond games). But for some reason I've never really been after the whole driver career thing. I'm more than happy just hot lapping in TT mode. Luckily for me, the best bit about F1 2010 is just you on the track racing against it, and yourself.

Also, I'm more than happy with how it runs on my PC. Intel Core i5-750 and a GTX 460 1Gb, everything stock. With the game set to Ultra with 4x AA and vsync on, at my native res of 1920x1200 I'm getting pretty much 60fps all the time, dipping only as low as 52-55fps when it does drop. It probably looks a little TOO good on PC if I'm honest, a little too crisp/clinical.

Just found my old school PSX -> USB adapter and am having so much MORE fun with this using a PS2 dualshock controller than I was playing with keys! :)

AcridMeat

Banned
Seems like what we have left is our GAF Championship. For those who are a part of it, start thinking of a weekend that works for you all so we can organize our first session.

Ravenn17

Has anybody else tried the cockpit camera mod for the PC? I'm liking it a lot. The sense of speed is much better, the mirrors are much better, and the fov is much better too.

So apparantly this game doesn't really track the AI and makes up their times. And no one here has noticed this? This is definately the case for qualifying, as it was confirmed by the lead designer on twitter.

Too much talk about 20xmsaa and 600fps... priorities people.

AcridMeat

Banned
Bungieware said:
So apparantly this game doesn't really track the AI and makes up their times. And no one here has noticed this? This is definately the case for qualifying, as it was confirmed by the lead designer on twitter.

Too much talk about 20xmsaa and 600fps... priorities people.

Top of this page man. :/

Crushing in terms of the fantasy of battling a season with other drivers, one that I was having in career mode. Still, the actual racing is fun, challenging and rewarding for me. Looking forward to our Championship starting up. :)

Yoritomo

That sounds plausible. I qualified 3rd for a race. Passed the 2 front runners in the first lap. and yet at the end of the first lap my time was 3 seconds slower than theirs.

elfinke

I am halfway through a full career championship (but racing 20%-40% race lengths) and have loved damn near every second of it.

AI is set to the one before legendary (expert?), with all assists off (though I started with traction control and dynamic corner line on).

Also, and it's worth noting, I turned the deadzone setting up to 5% on the steeering wheel and turned down the environment force feedback settings, both I find gives me far better control down straights and finer adjustments through corners.

Haven't encountered many bugs (thankfully no 15 second pit stops here!), and the FPS is pretty excellent, certainly no hiccups or serious slowdowns as reported by other console owners. Having said that, the framerate is definitely lower than fantastic.

The overzealous flag marshalls piss me off. My Lotus doesn't brake as hard as Webber's Red Bull, so if he decides to brake 10mt before I do it's his fault :lol In saying that, I've been pretty impressed with the driving of the AI; they defend carefully; overtake neatly; and yet still make mistakes.

And I would like my hand held a little more during yellow flag periods, maybe my pit crew need to remind me about them. I've had a handful of drive through penalties due to overtaking under yellow (and it's often when the yellow period is only 5 seconds long due to an isolated corner incident up ahead).

I also haven't jumped online yet, but the feedback in here sounds pretty (typical) unfortunate. Any AUSGAF F1 fans here?

Dragnet

This game is bullshit sometimes. I decided I needed more of a challenge so I turned a few options on, a few off and notched up the difficulty to hard. Went into a race at Monza and was enjoying Practicing and tuning the car. My first session ended kind of weirdly, driving along and my left rear tyre blew, somehow totaling my car (red screen) and ending the session. Fair enough I guess, but it was only my 3rd lap on those tyres, I wasn't over gravel or anything like that and there was no debris, I was the only car on the track.

I carry on anyway, get through Practice 2 just fine and move on to Practice 3. A few laps in and guess what.. the exact same shit happens again on the same corner, except to the front left tyre. This time my car wasn't totaled, but again there was no reason for it. I told myself it was because I was driving too hard, perhaps.

I struggle through Qualifying and because of penalties I got in Practice, I get thrown back to 24th. 3 laps in and yup, same corner, same blown tyre. Something is wrong with the game, I don't know if it's just that corner of Monza or if the game blows your tyres silly amounts when you turn the difficulty up, but somethings wrong and I'm taking a break.

In the case that it is the corner and others want to test it, I don't know the corners name but it's the one that leads into the slalom just before the big straight, final big turn and final straight.

/rant.

Juicy Bob

Dragnet said:
In the case that it is the corner and others want to test it, I don't know the corners name but it's the one that leads into the slalom just before the big straight, final big turn and final straight.

/rant.

The Second Lesmo? I'll have a look.

Sew

This is my first post in this thread, so I'm sure this rant has been done already. Wheel support. Fucking pissweak. Rant over.

Yeah, should have done my homework before buying. :(

Frawdder

Far out are the punctures annoying. Was running practice at Shanghai, put on a brand new set of option tyres and 3/4 through my out lap my front left blows. Bullshit I say, I wasn't even going fast and I didn't run off the track.

Another weird bug was when I went to do some R&D I go to exit the pits and the screen put on a red tinge for a second, then I'm told that I have damaged my car too much and cannot complete the session. I hadn't even gone out in that session.

elfinke said:
I also haven't jumped online yet, but the feedback in here sounds pretty (typical) unfortunate. Any AUSGAF F1 fans here?
Which platform are you on? A few of us are playing it on the PC.

elfinke

Juicy Bob said:
What system are you on? PC I'm assuming?

Sorry I didn't point that out in the first instance!

No, I currently have it for PS3, as that is where my steering wheels and such are setup. Also, my PC is currently only used for uni assignments, so I get depressed whenever I go near it, even if it is for a quick bash of TF2 :D

Also, it's old (X2-3200, 4gb RAM, sli'd 7900gt's), and I won't be upgrading until Diablo 3 rolls around next year. In which case, I might double dip on F1 2010 to join the 'master race' race/ing :D

Chris R

AI is a 2011 feature :lol

edit: Not that anything has been proven, but if what was posted earlier on this page is true, the "New and improved AI!" could be a selling point for the 2011 version of the game :(

Sloane

Banned
:lol :lol :lol

This is one of the most embarrassing games ever.

So about those reviews comparing F1 2010 to Geoff Crammond's works... :lol

Cide

That is pretty embarrassing. This game is nowhere near finished. They should have waited until the beginning of the 2011 season.

Sloane

Banned
darkwing said:
don't worry there's always 2011
Yeah, I've given up on the game. If it was just a few bugs, they probably could have fixed it in a month or so but the AI just does not exist AT ALL. No way they'll patch that in.

Cide

It's pretty sad. I can't believe they shipped it in this state. They must have known about all of these issues. There's no way this would slip past QA. I don't hold out much hope for them updating it to any reasonable degree either. During their interview on eurogamer the other day, they said they 'might' release title updates and definitely no DLC this year as they're working full tilt on 2011.

I hope next year people don't just buy it sight unseen. I regret paying full price to be a beta tester on next years game.

Frawdder

Really disappointing, it's not as though it's a bug that has just appeared, they designed the game like this. What on earth were they thinking?

I'll probably still play it but I'm going to turn my attention to the online time trial leaderboards and the GAF championship.

Most definitely going to be cautious about Codemasters games from now on, especially F1 2011.

Sloane

Banned
Cide said:
It's pretty sad. I can't believe they shipped it in this state. They must have known about all of these issues. There's no way this would slip past QA.
Well, they certainly knew that the AI is nonexistent. ;)

Cide said:
I hope next year people don't just buy it sight unseen.
Yeah, I guess one could have seen it coming -- everybody was just gushing about how great the game looks and Helios did a good job keeping the discussion focused on the graphics in a few forums.

Then again, who could have known that a racing game in 2010 would ship without an AI? That's the reviewers' job to tell us, and they failed miserably.

I thought something wasn't quite right when during one practice session, Vettel was behind me for an entire hotlap, yet he posted a faster time.

dalin80

Banned
Ha, just had a great one, started from pole and stayed ahead of button who was lapping 2.5s a lap faster then me (despite never actually gaining on me always about .5 behind), we pitted at the same time and I made it out first. By this time I was in second place as 3rd place man (vettel) had yet to pit.

He never did either.

Both button and I overtook vettel on the 4th lap to end. So the current order was-

Me
Button
Vettel (who started 8th, had the awesome strategy of never having a pit stop)

The race finished in this order.

I was so happy that I had for the first time put a consistent crash free race together that I almost didnt notice that the game gave the win to vettel. It gave the win to the guy who I could see behind both button and I while on the final straight.

WTF.

Lucius86

Banned
So that's why in the 20% races, because all the cars are around me, I came 4th in the Lotus, but on 100% distance I don't see hardly anyone and I'm 30 seconds off Sutil at the end of the race and finish 15th....

UFRA

Well it looks like I'm going to pass on this.

It's really concerning reading all of the problems people are finding. Specifically, the whole timing issues and the 'fake AI' theory.

Part of the fun of an F1 game is the lap times and what-not. I suppose I'll go back to finding F1CE on ebay.

pmj

I've really started to regret my purchase of this game over the past few days, and it hasn't even arrived in the mail yet.

Sloane said:
Then again, who could have known that a racing game in 2010 would ship without an AI? That's the reviewers' job to tell us, and they failed miserably.

Well, it does have AI...in the race at least. it is just incapable of tracking their times. You still have the cars going round, you still take their place if you take over them. It's fucking bizarre. And ridiculous. :lol

UFRA

TheDrowningMan said:
Well, it does have AI...in the race at least. it is just incapable of tracking their times. You still have the cars going round, you still take their place if you take over them. It's fucking bizarre. And ridiculous. :lol

Don't be so sure...

dalin80 said:
Ha, just had a great one, started from pole and stayed ahead of button who was lapping 2.5s a lap faster then me (despite never actually gaining on me always about .5 behind), we pitted at the same time and I made it out first. By this time I was in second place as 3rd place man (vettel) had yet to pit.

He never did either.

Both button and I overtook vettel on the 4th lap to end. So the current order was-

Me
Button
Vettel
(who started 8th, had the awesome strategy of never having a pit stop)

I was so happy that I had for the first time put a consistent crash free race together that I almost didnt notice that the game gave the win to vettel. It gave the win to the guy who I could see behind both button and I while on the final straight.

WTF.

:lol

Burai

shitonmychest57
Sloane said:
Well, they certainly knew that the AI is nonexistent. ;)

Yeah, I guess one could have seen it coming -- everybody was just gushing about how great the game looks and Helios did a good job keeping the discussion focused on the graphics in a few forums.

So true.

Not a single publication mentioned this in their review. Nor the pitstop bug. Nor the harshness of local Party mode. I'm the first to defend reviewers for not finishing games, but you'd expect them to have played the game at all.

Lucius86

Banned
The really sad thing is the game feels a LOT of fun to play. But the design of the AI is just purely broken. AI cars not being simulated around the track in an F1 game is such a shoddy decision to make.

It is astonishing that reviewers did not pick this up. Did anyone not race a 100% race out there, and compare what happened to a 20% race?

There is little point in doing the career now apart from to learn the tracks ahead of MP. Codies got the game feel almost right IMO, but the AI appears to be a fake.

Sloane

Banned
TheDrowningMan said:
They don't actually seem to go round, they just pop up whenever the game feels like it, and overtaking them doesn't necessarily mean you gain a place. So... yeah. :lol

As someone else said, the races are basically Time Trial with other cars randomly thrown in as obstacles.

Gravijah

Sloane said:
They don't actually seem to go round, they just pop up whenever the game feels like it, and overtaking them doesn't necessarily mean you gain a place. So... yeah. :lol

As someone else said, the races are basically Time Trial with other cars randomly thrown in as obstacles.

Wait, so this is like an oldschool 80s racing game? I gotta play this!

Sloane said:

I just hope I get decent trade in value when I get something else in place of this today. Does Dead Rising 2 have any game breaking bugs? :lol

ElFly

dalin80 said:

He never did either.

Me
Button
Vettel (who started 8th, had the awesome strategy of never having a pit stop)

WTF.

GOTY

Razgreez

I have to admit i was one of those who initially thought it ridiculous that codemasters were given the F1 title game. Deep down i knew they would funk it up. But then after reading reviews it seemed it wasnt so bad. And now after playing it i realize how royally rubbish this game is. On the upside at least it's an actual F1 weekend

Lucius86

Banned
Razgreez said:
I have to admit i was one of those who initially thought it ridiculous that codemasters were given the F1 title game. Deep down i knew they would funk it up. But then after reading reviews it seemed it wasnt so bad. And now after playing it i realize how royally rubbish this game is. On the upside at least it's an actual F1 weekend

Come on, I think that's a tad unfair. Playing the game feels good. The AI is just utterly broken - but it doesn't mean the rest of it is rubbish.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just played ~3 hours of multiplayer with TylerD. Shits amazing. We had been doing sprint, but people started disappearing so we decided to try Grand Prix.

What a fantastic decision that was. Hungary, 15 minute qualifying session in the dry. It was the first time for both of us on the track with 2 others in the game. We set our grid. Then it loads of the race day and it's pouring rain outside. We are scared shitless. :lol

I end up having a battle for 1st-2nd place with one guy for 5 out of the 7 total laps, in the rain. It was a freaking blast to play.

Yes, this game has serious issues. At least they got the most important part right IMO. :)

Top Bottom