• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

NHale

jlevel13 said:
I think it was more like they contractually / financially had to get the game out now and just ran out of time, even with the extra year, they still bit off more than they could chew :(

I know that but that doesn't mean they can't work on F1 2010 after releasing it. They have to patch it, if they don't they will piss off a lot of consumers because the game is full of bugs. All sports games have similar dev cycles and at least receive 1/2 patches to solve some issues, so the excuse "we have to work on F1 2011" isn't a valid one.

NHale

Nihilistic Monk said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoX0ClBDljE

In my opinion, the above video blows all codemasters arguments out of the water...it's obvious that during races, something super, super fishy is going on...

That video has nothing to do with the fake lap times. It's just the stupid option of allowing the cars to reset to the track, including the AI.

EDIT: T4RG4 just replied to someone that mentioned the video proved the lap times are fake.

@daveycraney Shesh, that's nothing to do with faked times but I see your point ;)

AcridMeat

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Join the Steam group. :)

What will be the assist situation online? I'm racing with no assists other than corner breaking zones, and sucking, but I'll be happy to suck online like that if that's what people want. :lol If breaking zones are taken off I'll be a good 10 minutes behind the lead though, I imagine. I'm still very much learning how to handle the tracks. That's the only crutch I'd personally like, but we need to see how many people feel the same.

Still working it out and seeing what people want in general. I was for sure going to force driving assists off (ABS and traction control). From experience, you should try learning tracks without the corner guide. The line they have is rubbish for the most part as I've found and it feels much better when you do string together a good lap.

If you still want the corner guide then I don't mind. :) I do want to keep my auto gearbox as I have just the controller though. Hitting buttons doesn't immerse me and feels ridiculous. If I had a wheel I would definitely be using manual.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
AcridMeat said:
Still working it out and seeing what people want in general. I was for sure going to force driving assists off (ABS and traction control). From experience, you should try learning tracks without the corner guide. The line they have is rubbish for the most part as I've found and it feels much better when you do string together a good lap.

If you still want the corner guide then I don't mind. :) I do want to keep my auto gearbox as I have just the controller though. Hitting buttons doesn't immerse me and feels ridiculous. If I had a wheel I would definitely be using manual.
First of all let me apologise for being utter arse on-line, even Australia wasn't working for me, and I'm good at that track.

What is more puzzling is my pace online relative to offline. While I could barely string together a 1:32 online and was struggling with the car online, I just completed the Aussie GP on Career mode (Using the same settings, no assists, no racing line, manual 'box) and was setting 1:30s for fun with a best lap of 1:29.5ish. I thought that the Career mode cars were meant to be slower because of the potential for upgrades too? Makes my pace differential even more confusing!

All I know is that I must improve before next week...

jlevel13

NHale said:
I know that but that doesn't mean they can't work on F1 2010 after releasing it. They have to patch it, if they don't they will piss off a lot of consumers because the game is full of bugs. All sports games have similar dev cycles and at least receive 1/2 patches to solve some issues, so the excuse "we have to work on F1 2011" isn't a valid one.

I read on their forums that supposedly the team is getting back from vacations and will be having a meeting Monday to figure out what stuff they can address and patch/fix etc in 2010... so we'll see - I'm sure there will be a patch or two.

NHale said:

Pit bug sounds like an easy fix. I think missing spilt times, lap times, and lack of stats is killer especially for a sports game. Racing games live and die by the stats and numbers. Lacking this will eventually drive the serious and dedicated fans away.

Keep the car handling, change the way the game tracks and treats the AI.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I've already won like 5 online races today :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The game is the SHIT online except for the connection failure bug. Onnce you're in a race the lag is very minimal and it's and all around fun time :D

jambo

AcridMeat said:
We have more than 12 people obviously, so what I was thinking is those in Australia should get together and have a session that is at a time that works for you. The time we were thinking of doing is Saturday ~10a.m. Pacific, 12p.m. Central, 6 p.m. for those in the UK.
That would be about Sunday 3.30AM in the morning, so I take it the Aussies will probably do something on Saturday afternoon or evening?

AcridMeat

Banned
jambo said:
That would be about Sunday 3.30AM in the morning, so I take it the Aussies will probably do something on Saturday afternoon or evening?

Precisely. Of the list of people I have, I know that you, Frawdder and Salacious Crumb are Australian. This is becoming worrisome as we may not be able to work out a feasible time for everyone. :/

DarkJC

So I just did the race at Shanghai, 40% distance so 22 laps. I manage to make it up to 2nd place and then on the back straight I get a tire puncture on lap 21 =/

Finished in 12th :(

edit: This is as Sauber mind you, so at least I still met my goal (which happened to be 12th)

Phthisis

I've done 3 full 100% distance races in career mode and I'm not convinced that the AI is faked. I haven't seen anything on the clocks or the track that indicates the game is making shit up. Quite the reverse actually: if the cars weren't on the track doing laps, then there's no way the game could tell you how many feet away the approaching cars are while you're in the pits.

At Sepang, I left Hamilton in the dust, and the pit radio actually told me how far back he was at both the 30 second and one minute mark. Every time the pit radio told me someone was pitting, the leader standings reflected that change.

I'm also curious of all these reported bugs are endemic to a particular version of the game. I haven't come across any bugs at all (Xbox 360 copy).

AcridMeat said:

Oh, yeah, I want automatic too. :D Forgot about that. I have to have the patience to change gears in real life when I drive, so I don't want to be managing that in a game. It takes away a lot of fun for me.

I'll try playing the game without breaking zones on and see how I do. :)

UFRA

Here's the "unofficial" bugs & errors list from the Codemasters forums:

BUGS & ERRORS OFFLINE

-driving assists staying active in sessions (when turned off)

-Pitstop exiting hesitation (see targa thread for temporary solution) (ALL FORMATS)

-Race results not portraying actual results (ALL FORMATS)

-AI blue flag issue, they get disqualified (ALL FORMATS)

-AI Fuel: AI qualifying slower then race start (ALL FORMATS)

-AI ghosting cars (ALL FORMATS)

-AI erratic swerving (in race when heating tyres isnt necessary)(ALL FORMATS)

-AI drivers not pitting at all in a race. (ALL FORMATS)

-Sound delay on shifting (ALL FORMATS)

-Split timing would be Usefull on screen. (ALL FORMATS)

-Sector 3 times don't stay up, you can't ever see your sector 3 (ALL FORMATS)

-Slight lag on controls of car (ALL FORMATS)

-Camera bug in time trial when exiting and rentering session head/hands disaapears TBC (ALL FORMATS)

-Tyre availability bug in practice sessions, e.g., no Primes available in P2 image (ALL FORMATS)

-Cars not being serviced in the pits and just sitting there, causing user to reset race if teammate is stuck. TBC (ALL FORMATS)

-Pit limiter auto on regardless of setting. (ALL FORMATS)

-wet times too fast , almost identical to dry times !??! (ALL FORMATS)

- too much grip in the rain (ALL FORMATS)

- too much grip with Intermediate/full wets (ALL FORMATS)

- live timer doesn't show personal best sector times (ALL FORMATS)

- third soft/hard tyre set not available in qualifying (ALL FORMATS)

- penalties given to player when ai hit you and also far too sensitive in certain forced situations (ALL FORMATS)

-Freezing and locking up often (XBOX360)

-Remove hidden anti spin mechanic car doesnt feel right (or give option on/off) (ALL FORMATS)

-IN/OUT laps not counted in lap count for sessions (ALL FORMATS)

-Users reporting Corrupt Save Data (ALL FORMATS)

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...9298-unofficial-f1-2010-bugs-errors-list.html

Lach

Okay. So I played a bit of Career-Mode over the weekend. Overall I like the game though it definitly needs some patching. The only real bug that bothered me was that the A.I. Player sometimes don't pit (I play 20% races).

One instance was especially frustrating. After starting on ninth in Melbourne, I had some great duels with other players. When trying to overtake Kubica we touched (it was a bit like Hamilton/Webber yesterday), I lost control and lost my front-wing when spinning and touching the wall. So off to the pit for me. Somhow Kamui had to pit in the same round so I had to wait behind him for about 10 seconds. When I got back on the track I was about half a track lenght behind all of the other cars.

Still I thought it's a bit bad luck but I can still catch up on some of the cars in the latter half of the field. Which I did but it was a bit boring as I didn't get to overtake anyone. Everytime I get in range of a car to overtake, they "remembered" that they had still to pit so I didn't get the satisfaction of overtaking.

Oh and every other minute (at least 10 times) or so, I got informed that Ferrari is going to have a pit stop.

But still, I like the game but I do hope some things get patched.

Deadman

So I just tweaked one of the settings of the game and I stopped it crashing and also improved loading time by a ridiculous amount. I kept getting "f1 2010 executable has stopped working" as an error message, which is strange because i played for a few hours with no problem and then i suddenly got this error every 15 minutes.

Loading times used to be very long (15 seconds or more), they are now about 4 seconds.

My documents > My games > FormulaOne > Hardware settings

Open hardware_settings_config in notepad and change "directx forcedx9" to "false" instead of true.

From what others have said in other forums it seems that if you have a dx10 or 11 card and try and force it to run in 9 then it can cause the crash i was suffering. Ive no idea why the load times improved so much :lol

NHale said:
That video has nothing to do with the fake lap times. It's just the stupid option of allowing the cars to reset to the track, including the AI.

EDIT: T4RG4 just replied to someone that mentioned the video proved the lap times are fake.

Where is that option to allow the cars to reset to the track?.

lastplayed said:
Anyone else having issues with this on Xbox Live? The game doesn't appear at all in my profile on xbox.com or any tracking sites.

If I'm on Live then I can see the stats for the game and see people playing it. But if I have a quick look on xbox.com to see if anyone is online, it just shows the track they are playing, but nothing else, no game title, nothing.

Oh and surely that video posted above somewhere, proves something iffy is going on with laptimes, because that car that spun would no way post a laptime consistent with him having spun and been stuck there. I think the codies guy saying it doesn't prove fake times is discussing semantics.

NHale

amstradcpc said:
Where is that option to allow the cars to reset to the track?.

Press Start to open the menu and it should be there.

And F1 2010 sold a lot of copies in the UK...

F1 2010 has thrown Halo: Reach from the number one spot from the UK charts, GfK Chart-Track’s confirmed this morning.

The title is the first F1 title to go to the top spot since Sony held the rights to the F1 IP with Formula One 2001 for PS2.

F1 2010 has also outsold Formula One 2001 by more then ten times, as well as outselling both the Bungie shooter and fellow new entry Dead Rising 2 combined.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/27/uk-charts-f1-2010-passes-reach-to-get-to-number-1/#more-120431

This almost guarantees that Codemasters will make F1 2012 because the option to have the license in 2012 was dependent of sales and metacritic.

state_vector_collapse said:
If I'm on Live then I can see the stats for the game and see people playing it. But if I have a quick look on xbox.com to see if anyone is online, it just shows the track they are playing, but nothing else, no game title, nothing.

Yeah the game appears in my profile if I access it through the dashboard, but anywhere else online it just doesn't exist. My gamerscore reflects the achievements I've earned, but since the game is missing from my games list, I can't view the individual achievements. Weird.

Aside from the bugs, there's some really cool moments to be had. I was viewing a replay of the Bahrain GP I just completed in the rain (as Petrov), and noticed about half-way into the race, as I was going wide off turn one, there was a Ferrari just sitting in the middle of the track facing the wrong way. I hadn't noticed it previously in the race due to going off the track.

Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be Massa, who had just come out of turn one and spun around in the water. Poor Massa, he doesn't like rain much. :lol

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Deadman said:
So I just tweaked one of the settings of the game and I stopped it crashing and also improved loading time by a ridiculous amount. I kept getting "f1 2010 executable has stopped working" as an error message, which is strange because i played for a few hours with no problem and then i suddenly got this error every 15 minutes.

Loading times used to be very long (15 seconds or more), they are now about 4 seconds.

My documents > My games > FormulaOne > Hardware settings

Open hardware_settings_config in notepad and change "directx forcedx9" to "false" instead of true.

From what others have said in other forums it seems that if you have a dx10 or 11 card and try and force it to run in 9 then it can cause the crash i was suffering. Ive no idea why the load times improved so much :lol

Very interesting. Thanks for passing along this tip. Did this by any chance improve the performance of the game as far as framerate for you as well?

lighting mod released

3248ee62bd8329no.jpg

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/f1-2010-game-89/track_lighting_mod_01v-5-tracks-3207/

is the default setting supposed to be a sunny day? :lol

deim0s

Anyone have an idea hpw this runs on a 5770?

Cant spring on a rig right now, thinking that an upgrade from a 8800gt (on a e6400) can squeeze some more life out of it.

1-D_FTW

deim0s said:
Anyone have an idea hpw this runs on a 5770?

Cant spring on a rig right now, thinking that an upgrade from a 8800gt (on a e6400) can squeeze some more life out of it.

On that processor, I doubt you'd see much improvement. You'll definitely be CPU bound with the new GPU.

LALILULELO said:
Again this piss filter needs to be a switch on/off on console goddammit!
I want the visuals as close as the real thing not some artsy fartsy impression of F1!
This is not a simple filter, you can't just turn it on or off. You have to edit the lighting settings for every single track. That's why the mod currently only covers 5 tracks.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
brotkasten said:
This is not a simple filter, you can't just turn it on or off. You have to edit the lighting settings for every single track. That's why the mod currently only covers 5 tracks.

Well they are back from vacation today right? so this and next week the lighting artist have something to do.

LALILULELO said:
Well they are back from vacation today right? so this and next week the lighting artist have something to do.
They never did this, it won't happen now and that's why I never buy a Codemasters racing game for a console.

1-D_FTW

brotkasten said:

And it seems like there is a fairly big list of issues. It's far from perfect itself.

olimpia84

Finished my second race in career mode and got 4th place with Lotus although I must admit I restarted the race a few times until I got a desired start :D
I didn't make any mistakes and as the race went on I had the track and turns figured out pretty well so my times were getting better and better.

I also tried my first few online races and boy I suck really bad. Driving without the corner speed indicator is killing me, I use that thing religiously to take every turn in Career mode so when somebody takes that thing from me it's like driving blindfolded.
Is there any way I can turn that indicator on while racing online?

Haunted

This faking (split) times business is fucking embarrassing for a big budget sim racer in 2010. Geoff Crammond would roll over in his grave
if he were dead.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
lighting mod released

3248ee62bd8329no.jpg

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/f1-2010-game-89/track_lighting_mod_01v-5-tracks-3207/

is the default setting supposed to be a sunny day? :lol
bububu Codies got rid of the piss filter!! Right looks like shit, left looks proper. Fucking piss filter, good job modders. It doesn't sound like all the tracks are done yet, so it's still not time for me to get this baby. :D

edit: modificated is my new favourite word.

Sent

Haunted said:
This faking (split) times business is fucking embarrassing for a big budget sim racer in 2010. Geoff Crammond would roll over in his grave
if he were dead.

Someone had a thread on codemasters that showed that they lap times were just calculated backwards, wish I could find it again. Then again I have no idea what's going on :lol

jlevel13

pmj

What's really strange is that they insisted on having fixed the lighting. Is it possible that they don't actually see the problem?

jlevel13 said:
Just watched a video preview, damn - it's a joke how much better this mod makes the game look after just a few days tweaking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0OfX022d2s
Just like dirt 2 the real time shadows suffer from the mod, down the starting straight you can see the shadow appear about 20 car lenghs ahead, in dirt 2 if you change the lighting angle you get the same results where shadows up close are fine but vanish at range because the pre-baked shadows or whatever is used for long distances is set differently.

That mod imo needs some minor light tweaks but it looks a ton better, the car's paint now looks a ton better then a drowned out sepia smothered mess.

Deadman

isamu said:
Very interesting. Thanks for passing along this tip. Did this by any chance improve the performance of the game as far as framerate for you as well?

I was vsync 60fps before, so to me its just the same.

Not sure if I like that mod. Looks a bit too colourful maybe? In the same way I didn't really like the colours used in Mario Sunshine.

I'll probably try it out though and see how it is.

panda21

how is this on the 360? does it run reasonably fast and look good?

can't make my mind up whether to get it on the PC or 360 - i have an i5 750/5770 but it makes a sound like a plane taking off just playing civ 5 on high so i imagine to run this looking good it will be really bad, in which case if i have to lower the settings i might as well get it on the 360 :S

kitch9

Banned
panda21 said:
how is this on the 360? does it run reasonably fast and look good?

can't make my mind up whether to get it on the PC or 360 - i have an i5 750/5770 but it makes a sound like a plane taking off just playing civ 5 on high so i imagine to run this looking good it will be really bad, in which case if i have to lower the settings i might as well get it on the 360 :S

What makes a sound like a plane taking off?

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Not sure if I like that mod. Looks a bit too colourful maybe? In the same way I didn't really like the colours used in Mario Sunshine.

I'll probably try it out though and see how it is.

I think it needs to be a half way house between what Codies have done, and what the modders have done. Just a bit too bright for me currently.

moojito

Aye, it is a bit bright. I thought the modded picture was a cartoon at first glance.

The proper one looks really yellow next to it in comparison but really when you're playing it (or at least when I'm playing it) the colours are not an issue one way or t'other.

Top Bottom