• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Sent

Smash88 said:
The port to the PC is horrendous. Q6600 @ 3.2GHZ and a GTX470 with everything maxed out and x4aa (playing around with the AA does nothing) gives me barely 30fps.

I haven't done any career but the AI things sounds weird :(, but for me on my i5 4890 I get 60+ fps everything at high/ultra and 8x AA

duckroll

dalin80 said:
Ha, just had a great one, started from pole and stayed ahead of button who was lapping 2.5s a lap faster then me (despite never actually gaining on me always about .5 behind), we pitted at the same time and I made it out first. By this time I was in second place as 3rd place man (vettel) had yet to pit.

He never did either.

Both button and I overtook vettel on the 4th lap to end. So the current order was-

Me
Button
Vettel (who started 8th, had the awesome strategy of never having a pit stop)

The race finished in this order.

I was so happy that I had for the first time put a consistent crash free race together that I almost didnt notice that the game gave the win to vettel. It gave the win to the guy who I could see behind both button and I while on the final straight.

WTF.

Well, you gotta think about it this way, if Red Bull was paying enough to bribe the FIA into overlooking the fact that Vettel didn't need to make a pit stop, you would imagine that they would be willing to fork out that extra money needed to bribe them to just give him the win either way. It's not a bug, it's just extra realism! :lol

Smash88

Banned
Sent said:
I haven't done any career but the AI things sounds weird :(, but for me on my i5 4890 I get 60+ fps everything at high/ultra and 8x AA

I've noticed anyone with an i5/i7 core gets great frames, maybe the coding is just shitting on us Q series guys.

olimpia84

dalin80 said:
Ha, just had a great one, started from pole and stayed ahead of button who was lapping 2.5s a lap faster then me (despite never actually gaining on me always about .5 behind), we pitted at the same time and I made it out first. By this time I was in second place as 3rd place man (vettel) had yet to pit.

He never did either.

Both button and I overtook vettel on the 4th lap to end. So the current order was-

Me
Button
Vettel (who started 8th, had the awesome strategy of never having a pit stop)

The race finished in this order.

I was so happy that I had for the first time put a consistent crash free race together that I almost didnt notice that the game gave the win to vettel. It gave the win to the guy who I could see behind both button and I while on the final straight.

WTF.

What race distance where you using? I think if you race below 20% cars don't necessarily have to pit.

1-D_FTW

Smash88 said:
I've noticed anyone with an i5/i7 core gets great frames, maybe the coding is just shitting on us Q series guys.

I'm running a Q9400/GTX 460 and not having any issues.

Only issue I have is with the hard drive-replay-caching hiccups (during the one time I did a long race in career). But the framerate is butter nomatter what. Even at 1080P/4X AA/Everything else on max setting.

Smash88

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I'm running a Q9400/GTX 460 and not having any issues.

Only issue I have is with the hard drive-replay-caching hiccups (during the one time I did a long race in career). But the framerate is butter nomatter what. Even at 1080P/4X AA/Everything else on max setting.

Then I honestly don't know what is going on. Maybe it's just a poorly optimized game for the PC and it works for some and doesn't for others. From what I've been reading I'm not the only one with shitty fps with a great system on this game.

Az

Wow at that lap time "bug". I was wondering why I was not able to see the difference.

This is really embarrassing.

There is also some kind of Codemasters cycle it seems. Everyone is hyping up their game and when it is released it gets smashed with his head into the wall by the entirety of GAF because of pretty much everything.

I myself don't have any trouble with the game. I don't know if the A.I.-scenery theory is correct or not, but it seems to me that there are some bugs but that the times and the actual cars are not entirely unattached. When I did my Race on Bahrain today (I did the Practice and Qualification yesterday) everyone pitted, I could even see them doing it. I didn't though, I waited a lap to evade the pitting problem. I saw pretty much every driver entering the pit lane though and I could see some of them leaving in Rear View as well.

Bahrain was a great race by the way. I hate the middle section, with the weird-ass chicanes and stuff, but overall it's pretty cool. In the last lap, I noticed Vettel in my rear view window. I tried to evade him but you know how that goes; impossible. He rammed his car in mine while trying to overtake. Luckily I still had my flashback, but jesus. :lol

NHale

I almost feel bad trying to defend Codemasters but I just made a race in Singapore with the map in the HUD and you clearly can see the 24 cars on the track during the race.

In one instance I was in turn 8 and in the map there was 3 dots around turn 14 and they were clearly not in my FOV, so what is the explanation for that if they are not simulated? To me it seems the cars pop-in and the lap times are false, but they are clearly running some type of simulation so they don't appear random on the track, like some are saying.

Pizza Luigi said:
Bahrain was a great race by the way. I hate the middle section, with the weird-ass chicanes and stuff, but overall it's pretty cool. In the last lap, I noticed Vettel in my rear view window. I tried to evade him but you know how that goes; impossible. He rammed his car in mine while trying to overtake. Luckily I still had my flashback, but jesus. :lol

If you want to "Live the Life" you have to get rammed by Vettel. Only then you become a true F1 driver. :lol

1-D_FTW

Damn you people for making me install FRAPS:lol . I'm not getting anywhere near 60fps. 1080P/4X AA/ Max settings has me around 38-45 fps in GP. That's with stock settings (Q9400 @ 2.66 - just bought last week, haven't tweaked) and GTX 460 (stock speed runs upper 60 - lower 70s in terms of load utilization). Should have realized something was amiss when my Kill-a-watt had this game consuming significantly less power than other cutting edge games.

I have noticed that the CPUs only seems to operate at around 50 percent. It's fine giving it 4 threads, but they don't seem to exceed much beyond 52 percent. So I guess my fps would go up when I up the clockspeed (50 percent of 3.5 would obviously be better than 50 percent of 2.66 - I'd imagine).

Even in the pits with that ugly ass screen, it still doesn't improve the framerate.

I guess because D3Doverrider was doing a good job with the triple buffering and there was no tearing, it seemed better than it actually was.

One more reason to curse this purchase.:lol

When is the gaf league starting?

Adamm

Finally got this game (got it for PC instead of PS3)

And on my first race i got the pit stop bug putting me in last place :(

any word on a patch?

kitch9

Banned
Are the ai race times real or made up as you go along? I suppose it could be easy to check by sitting on the finishing line with a stop watch.

You'd have to keep moving forward and backward to stop the game kicking you out though.

kitch9

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Damn you people for making me install FRAPS:lol . I'm not getting anywhere near 60fps. 1080P/4X AA/ Max settings has me around 38-45 fps in GP. That's with stock settings (Q9400 @ 2.66 - just bought last week, haven't tweaked) and GTX 460 (stock speed runs upper 60 - lower 70s in terms of load utilization). Should have realized something was amiss when my Kill-a-watt had this game consuming significantly less power than other cutting edge games.

I have noticed that the CPUs only seems to operate at around 50 percent. It's fine giving it 4 threads, but they don't seem to exceed much beyond 52 percent. So I guess my fps would go up when I up the clockspeed (50 percent of 3.5 would obviously be better than 50 percent of 2.66 - I'd imagine).

Even in the pits with that ugly ass screen, it still doesn't improve the framerate.

I guess because D3Doverrider was doing a good job with the triple buffering and there was no tearing, it seemed better than it actually was.

One more reason to curse this purchase.:lol

When is the gaf league starting?

Overclock the CPU and 460.... 800hz for the gpu should be easy if its a 1gb, I would imagine 3.2 ghz for the CPU on stock volts.

Sloane

Banned
NHale said:
To me it seems the cars pop-in and the lap times are false, but they are clearly running some type of simulation so they don't appear random on the track, like some are saying.
Of course there is some kind of simulation running, otherwise the game would not work at all, but there definitely is a huge discrepancy between what you see on the track and the actual times / result. The most obvious guess (considering the confirmed fake AI for qualifying) is that the real simulation runs in the background and the game tries to visualize what's happening by having cars pop-in here and there but can't portray the gap between two cars and sometimes forgets to take note of you overtaking someone etc. Then again, if the real simulation ran in the background during both qualifying and race, why does it forget about fuel in race, for example?

1-D_FTW

kitch9 said:
Overclock the CPU and 460.... 800hz for the gpu should be easy if its a 1gb, I would imagine 3.2 ghz for the CPU on stock volts.

I only installed the processor last week and just haven't set aside any time to tweak what optimum overclock is going to to be. I'll do it soon.

My GPU can easily overclock at 800/1600 @ stock voltages. I'm not sure it'll make any difference, however, since it's clearly not coming close to being stressed. It's not like utilization is running at 95-99 percent load. It barely breaks 70 percent as it is.

NHale

Sloane said:
Of course there is some kind of simulation running, otherwise the game would not work at all, but there definitely is a huge discrepancy between what you see on the track and the actual times / result. The most obvious guess (considering the confirmed fake AI for qualifying) is that the real simulation runs in the background and the game tries to visualize what's happening by having cars pop-in here and there but can't portray the gap between two cars and sometimes forgets to take note of you overtaking someone etc. Then again, if the real simulation ran in the background during both qualifying and race, why does it forget about fuel in race, for example?

Which version are you playing? After 20 hours of playing, not once I had any problems it the game forgetting that I overtook someone or an AI car that forgot to pit, so maybe I'm just lucky or the bug doesn't happen in all versions.

And once again I'm not seeing that huge discrepancy between the lap times and the AI position in the track. I just ended doing an experiment where I stayed right on the rear of the car ahead and then in the next lap I was in a very similar position and the AI car was 0.120 better than me. But this is easily tested just make a 3 lap race and add all the split times to the 1st position and see if in the end it adds to the right result (and also manual count the time between the notification of the winner and you crossing the finish line).

BTW, the fact that fuel and tyre simulation AI isn't working properly, doesn't mean the lap times and track position is also not working like it should. Completely different things...

Dilly

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:
wasn't this game delayed a year? but they ship it with all these problems.

i have no confidence in codemasters.

The base code is there, all the things that are going more or less wrong are things newly implented in the ego engine.

DarkJC

While I think the AI problem is a pretty bad design choice (if thats what it turns out to be), after sleeping on it I still have a lot of fun with this game. Maybe it's not something for people who were looking for a true F1 sim, but this game to me feels great when you've aced all the corners and put together a fast lap. It's such a shame that the reviews of this game were so misleading though, really highlights the failure of the current review system.

After reading about some of the experiences you guys have had online, I really want to try some online GP's though. It sounds like a great time.

pmj

I don't see how that tweet confirms anything, but the lap times of the AI cars can't be produced by normal means when you speed up time during practice and qualifying.

Roxas

Im confused as hell now. Vettel just won a race and i know for a fact that he didnt pit. Dry race, 20% distance, he should of definatly changed his tyres....another bug?

NHale

pmj said:
I don't see how that tweet confirms anything, but the lap times of the AI cars can't be produced by normal means when you speed up time during practice and qualifying.

To me it confirms that the practice and qualifying times are made up. The cars don't really do that lap around the track, the game pre-determines what lap time the AI is going to do and even if you block an AI car for 45 seconds he can still do a fantastic lap time if that was the game "wants" him to do.

And it also confirms that the lap times shown in the HUD are indeed true.

DarkJC

NHale said:
To me it confirms that the practice and qualifying times are made up. The cars don't really do that lap around the track, the game pre-determines what lap time the AI is going to do and even if you block an AI car for 45 seconds he can still do a fantastic lap time if that was the game "wants" him to do.

And it also confirms that the lap times shown in the HUD are indeed true.

He's already posted on twitter that practice and qualifying are indeed fake, as well.

Fake times in qualy aren't the biggest deal to me. I mean sure it would be nice if they were fully simulated but practice and qualy are essentially time trials anyway. If the race times are accurate and if the upcoming patch fixes the pit stop bugs (both the 20 second stops bug and making the AI pit when it's supposed to) then I still think the career will be very enjoyable.

Sloane

Banned
NHale said:
Take notice that he says "in-race" not "in the game", so that confirms the practice and qualifying times are fake but the races are legit.
Legit, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoX0ClBDljE :lol

NHale said:
Which version are you playing? After 20 hours of playing, not once I had any problems it the game forgetting that I overtook someone or an AI car that forgot to pit, so maybe I'm just lucky or the bug doesn't happen in all versions.
360. Don't know about the other guys who noticed the same.

AcridMeat

Banned
F1 Championship GAF here's an update for y'all. First, if you're on this list, make sure you join the F1 2010 GAF group on steam. I will be posting announcements and scheduling events on there as well as posting on here, unless the online thread is more appropriate.

THE LIST:
1-D_FTW
Animal
Foliorum Viridum
AcridMeat
TylerD
Leunam
Frawdder
Stop It
Lucius86
Valru
jambo
Dilly
Slamskank
Vehn
Salacious Crumb
Staab

I've spoken to a few of you already, and made a post on the steam group, about interest in doing our qualifying for the championship next Saturday Oct 2nd. If you're in the group add me on steam and let me know if next Saturday works for you.

We have more than 12 people obviously, so what I was thinking is those in Australia should get together and have a session that is at a time that works for you. The time we were thinking of doing is Saturday ~10a.m. Pacific, 12p.m. Central, 6 p.m. for those in the UK.

Again, I'm trying to get in touch with as many of you on the list to see if this time/date works. If it doesn't we'll maybe have those who can't make it do a session of their own on the same track so they have a shot.

For those of you not on the list but have interest in this (PC) GAF Championship, send me a PM as you're more than welcome to join this qualifying. :)

Cheers

slamskank

I don't get the performance issues others with better rigs and lower resolutions seem to be having. No noticeable drops at 2560x1600 with ultra settings, 4xmsaa on 2 GTX 260 216s, Core i7 920 @ 3.5, 6GB ram. Dirt 2 and Grid give me more trouble actually.

Looks like the career mode is a wreck, which is really too bad so I'll be spending most of my time learning the tracks and preparing for the GAF tourney, so that I'll be haflf decent in the slight chance we don't all pile up and I survive the first turn. Sucks about the AI though but I don't regret my purchase just yet.

Lucius86

Banned
Leunam said:
Next saturday works for me. I may even whip up a race preview. :)

That would be AWESOME. We could do a better "Live the dream" feel than what Codies have done by having our own previews and after race talk in here.

AcridMeat

Banned
That really would be incredible!

By the way I forgot to add, this qualifying session could be for any track but maybe it will be beneficial to make it the track we have our first GP on. What do you all think would make a good first GP? I'm leaning towards Monaco to get it out of the way or Melbourne.

Leunam

Let's do Monaco. Then again, we haven't really got a track list set. I'm the only one who voted. :lol

Let's decide within the next two days how many tracks we want and which tracks. We can decide the order sometime after Monaco.

Join the Steam group. :)

What will be the assist situation online? I'm racing with no assists other than corner breaking zones, and sucking, but I'll be happy to suck online like that if that's what people want. :lol If breaking zones are taken off I'll be a good 10 minutes behind the lead though, I imagine. I'm still very much learning how to handle the tracks. That's the only crutch I'd personally like, but we need to see how many people feel the same.

Sloane said:
Legit, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoX0ClBDljE :lol

360. Don't know about the other guys who noticed the same.

LOL!

The tweet from the codies dude is looking less and less legit all the time...I just did Monaco, Me 20th, Team-mate 14th, He pitted and I followed him in, got held up in the lane whilst he finished, SAW HIM LEAVE THE PIT, took my pit and watched him re-climb from my 20th position back to his 14th instantaneously... So upset and disappointed now, where's the fun if it ain't fair???

jlevel13

Juicy Bob said:

hmm.. only halfway thru that video, but I'm not sure that first lap is a good indication of the lap times being faked in a race - I think what's going on there is that they start the timing of that first lap as soon as Webber crosses the start line, so the player's car is being measured for all that extra distance he has to travel before the start line? So even though he has taken the lead and in reality runs a faster lap, the game is really counting more than a lap for him?

I'm not saying race lap times are real or not (I don't know), but that video maybe isn't the best analysis?

jlevel13

also in the second part of the video, of course Webber could still run a faster lap and still be behind him (as he notes in a pop up comment).

jlevel13 said:
also in the second part of the video, of course Webber could still run a faster lap and still be behind him (as he notes in a pop up comment).

What tweet is that?

https://twitter.com/T4RG4/status/25609891784

Just found another issue/bug as well. In the team-mate "competition" crap, I've won the only points for lotus, and won/qualified better than my team-mate every time. Indeed, if you look over in the pits at your team-mate, I have 3 little lit ping-pong balls, he has one little ping pong ball. I'm told, in a rather snooty way by my engineer that my team-mate has "got some new parts on his car this time round....we'll get round to fitting them on yours"...really? I'm like 8 drivers up in the championship, and have out-drove him every race, now he gets new parts???

NHale

Juicy Bob said:
I'm not involved but surely you guys have to start in Melbourne? It's a great track and the tradtional season opener anyway.

EDIT:

This proves that the times are faked in the race as well.

Yes it proves the 1st lap times are completely broken but at least the 2nd lap seems correct unlike what he was saying in the video. It's still better than nothing.

From the interviews I read it seemed like they didn't want to work on F1 2010 anymore and just focus on F1 2011, but if they don't release a patch that solves a lot of these issues I believe they will lose a lot of buyers next year. I just fear they will solve some of these problems but at the same time create bigger ones. Codemasters :lol

Nihilistic Monk said:
https://twitter.com/T4RG4/status/25609891784

Just found another issue/bug as well. In the team-mate "competition" crap, I've won the only points for lotus, and won/qualified better than my team-mate every time. Indeed, if you look over in the pits at your team-mate, I have 3 little lit ping-pong balls, he has one little ping pong ball. I'm told, in a rather snooty way by my engineer that my team-mate has "got some new parts on his car this time round....we'll get round to fitting them on yours"...really? I'm like 8 drivers up in the championship, and have out-drove him every race, now he gets new parts???

That is not a bug, it's design. You have to become the 1st driver before receiving the new parts first. You only become nº1 if you win in the end of the team challenge just because you're leading in the middle of the competition doesn't mean you win in the end.

jlevel13

NHale said:
From the interviews I read it seemed like they didn't want to work on F1 2010 anymore and just focus on F1 2011

I think it was more like they contractually / financially had to get the game out now and just ran out of time, even with the extra year, they still bit off more than they could chew :(

Zoink

Ok that top time in Monza is taking the piss now, he's done a lap in under a minute doing about 400mph. Makes the whole leaderboard a joke. Also, you should be able to watch other cars during the replay, that is a bit crap.

Surfheart

Smash88 said:

Seems to be the case. I'm running a q6600 and a GTX 295 and performance isn't too good at times. I was watching GPU usage with the EVGA precision tool and neither of my GPUs ever get beyond 60% utilisation. The game is very CPU bound and seems to like the i5/i7 architecture.

Top Bottom