• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

pmj said:
After reading so much about how easy the game is I wasn't expecting to have this much trouble with it. The big issue for me is getting acceleration right with the trigger on a pad. It's either not enough, and I lose time, or it's too much and I spin. I can't seem to ever find the sweet spot, and it's pretty demoralizing to be dead last after 20 practice laps and have the race engineer point that fact out to you every single lap.

Are you using automatic or manual gears? When traction control is off, I find it far easier to manage acceleration with manual gears than automatic.

TylerD

Lucius86 said:
So, for the GAF tourny, I know there will be a preview being made but will people appreciate a video preview of the upcoming track, with a commentated hot lap so you can get a rough idea on breaking distances, speeds in corners etc.

This game is so awesome online. It's a shame with the amount of bugs there are, because it really is just so much fun.

Yes! This is a great idea.

pmj

lastplayed said:
Are you using automatic or manual gears? When traction control is off, I find it far easier to manage acceleration with manual gears than automatic.
I should have said that I use manual and no aids. I'll give it another few laps and then I'll turn traction control on, even though it feels a bit like cheating.

It's strange, I have no problem playing a game on normal or even easy if I have to, but when I see aids in a racing game I feel I have to turn them all off.

Lucius86

Banned
TylerD said:
Yes! This is a great idea.

Cool, I will do it tonight. I want to make it like Martin Brundle and his commentary for the pole position laps...

Will we get a dedicated thread going for the tourny, or keep it all in here???

1-D_FTW

pmj said:
I should have said that I use manual and no aids. I'll give it another few laps and then I'll turn traction control on, even though it feels a bit like cheating.

It's strange, I have no problem playing a game on normal or even easy if I have to, but when I see aids in a racing game I feel I have to turn them all off.

What are you doing with the car setup? I'm not sure if I'm just getting used to my wheel, or if lowering the car setup is improving my driving. My natural inclination was to always choose the fastest setup from the engineer. I've stopped doing that. The lower the setting, the easier it is to take corners without spinning out. Even dropping 1 spot from max seems to make a significant difference on some of the tracks for me.

Lucius86

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
What are you doing with the car setup? I'm not sure if I'm just getting used to my wheel, or if lowering the car setup is improving my driving. My natural inclination was to always choose the fastest setup from the engineer. I've stopped doing that. The lower the setting, the easier it is to take corners without spinning out. Even dropping 1 spot from max seems to make a significant difference on some of the tracks for me.

I think Codies have underplayed how important on some tracks the car set up is. For example, in China I was really struggling with traction coming out of the slower corners, especially with the harder tyres - adjusting the anti-roll bars, the throttle mapping and some of the downforce settings have made it a LOT easier to drive around there. This is with a shitty Lotus on legend so this is the cause of my pains, no doubt...

No hard science, but I have more confidence in the car around there now - but I am a few kph slower on the straight because of it, even though I enter out of turn 13 faster than before. That confidence gives me at least 0.5-1 second in sectors 1 & 2.

800px-Shanghai_International_Racing_Circuit_track_map.svg.png

pmj

1-D_FTW said:
I started out somewhere in the middle and worked my way down due to that one part of Bahrain. I agree, it did a lot to help me around corners.

Confusingly enough, the race engineer has told me about 15 times that Jarno is faster than me and that I should copy his setup, but from what I can see it's not actually possible to do this.

Lucius86

Banned
pmj said:
Confusingly enough, the race engineer has told me about 15 times that Jarno is faster than me and that I should copy his setup, but from what I can see it's not actually possible to do this.

Yeah, I was looking for that option too....

1-D_FTW

Lucius86 said:
I think Codies have underplayed how important on some tracks the car set up is. For example, in China I was really struggling with traction coming out of the slower corners, especially with the harder tyres - adjusting the anti-roll bars, the throttle mapping and some of the downforce settings have made it a LOT easier to drive around there. This is with a shitty Lotus on legend so this is the cause of my pains, no doubt...

No hard science, but I have more confidence in the car around there now - but I am a few kph slower on the straight because of it, even though I enter out of turn 13 faster than before. That confidence gives me at least 0.5-1 second in sectors 1 & 2.

800px-Shanghai_International_Racing_Circuit_track_map.svg.png

Custom settings, huh? Probably should start playing with that. Some of the tracks I've just been lowering the engineer slider quite a bit. Customizing would seem to be the way to go:)

Lucius86

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Custom settings, huh? Probably should start playing with that. Some of the tracks I've just been lowering the engineer slider quite a bit. Customizing would seem to be the way to go:)

It's all about personal driving style too, and what car you are in. I tried this setup with the online car and I did not notice any difference to the pre-changed settings I had. But the online car is SOOO much faster and nicer to drive - a lot of corners I could take flat online whilst in the season I have to lift off.

It really is a matter of trial and error if you are struggling from a particular issue. But that is part of the fun, and when you find that extra confidence, it's a great buzz.

Leunam

Lucius86 said:
Cool, I will do it tonight. I want to make it like Martin Brundle and his commentary for the pole position laps...

Awesome idea! PM me your video link when you're done and I'll add it to the preview.

Lucius86

Banned
Leunam said:
Awesome idea! PM me your video link when you're done and I'll add it to the preview.

Will do. Right now I'm still undecided how to best record the video - either using Fraps (not such a great frame rate) or record off scree using my DSLR on a tripod. Or use gamecam, which I have not experienced using yet....I will play about tonight.

slamskank

Lucius86 said:
It's all about personal driving style too, and what car you are in. I tried this setup with the online car and I did not notice any difference to the pre-changed settings I had. But the online car is SOOO much faster and nicer to drive - a lot of corners I could take flat online whilst in the season I have to lift off.

It really is a matter of trial and error if you are struggling from a particular issue. But that is part of the fun, and when you find that extra confidence, it's a great buzz.
Are the online cars available in time trial?

Az

Leunam said:
Keep in mind we're doing Melbourne for the first round. I'm going to start making banners tonight.

I will do time trials in Melbourne on my PS3 and pretend to race you guys. *sad face*

1:28.540 on Melbourne with all assists off after 10 or so laps. I used Force India since that's my car in the GAF league.

Is that good or bad? I have no idea. It felt quick to me and as if I wouldn't be out of my league completely. :lol

1-D_FTW

Foliorum Viridum said:
1:28.540 on Melbourne with all assists off after 10 or so laps. I used Force India since that's my car in the GAF league.

Is that good or bad? I have no idea. It felt quick to me and as if I wouldn't be out of my league completely. :lol

Select the 3rd option in the first menu of Time Trials. You can see your global rank and your rank against friends. I'm guessing it's pretty high. Almost afraid to look what mine is. Probably more like 1:38-1:40:lol

Omiee

So i have a few questions, what are some of the mods that are already out.
and is there a site that gives u the optimal settings for each race.
also why is there no podium, and how come nobody crashes and drops out of the race..?

1-D_FTW

Using the Red Bull (not sure it matters in TT), I've clocked a 128.032. That's with all aides off but racing line (I'm weak). But I'm hardly consistent. Couple corners where I constantly invalidate my times by touching grass. And spin out pretty frequently because I'm so desperate to pass my annoying ghost, I drive too hot. That's pretty annoying having to race yourself. You block your view and you drive identically. It really is the worst opponent since there's no hope of different driving styles giving you a break and a clear view of the track ahead.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Just time trials. I don't think my Virgin can match that pace. :lol

Online has all the cars equal (at least that better be the option we're using. I didn't mind getting stuck with the worst team for a reason).:lol

Adamm

Anyone else have problems with the second last corner(turn 15) in Catalunya?

In Free Practice I must have spun about 14 or 15 times in about 20 laps - the only way i stopped spinning was to go way slower than i probably should & ended up qualifying 8th even though my times were purple in the first 2 sectors :(

I thought maybe I was just a bit rubbish at it until the actual race were nearly every lap an AI car had spun and was facing the wrong way when i came to it. :lol

And during the race i managed to avoid spinning the whole time (usually cause an AI car facing the wrong way was blocking it) until the last lap when i trying to overtake Hamilton just before the end & went woo fast & spun - dropped from 2nd to 6th :(

Stoffinator

Adamm said:

In Free Practice I must have spun about 14 or 15 times in about 20 laps - the only way i stopped spinning was to go way slower than i probably should & ended up qualifying 8th even though my times were purple in the first 2 sectors :(

I thought maybe I was just a bit rubbish at it until the actual race were nearly every lap an AI car had spun and was facing the wrong way when i came to it. :lol

And during the race i managed to avoid spinning the whole time (usually cause an AI car facing the wrong way was blocking it) until the last lap when i trying to overtake Hamilton just before the end & went woo fast & spun - dropped from 2nd to 6th :(

That corner does the same for me too. Its like you hit a patch of ice or something.

The last three corners of Monaco I also notice a bad dip in frame rate (PS3).

Foliorum Viridum said:
Just time trials. I don't think my Virgin can match that pace. :lol

Yeah, there's huge gulf between the minnows and the big boys. Driving the same track in a Virgin then a Red Bull is like playing a completely different game. It probably reflects real life, but I can't remember there being such a huge difference in the cars of the 2006 CE.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
How does this game compare to Sony Liverpool's F1 on PS3.

I really liked the last F1 game, but I'm being cautious with this title as I have been burned by bugs and other niggles with Ego engine games.

AcridMeat

Banned
Adamm said:

I'm relieved I wasn't the only one having trouble with this in career mode. Though for me it was turn 10.

1-D_FTW

I think there's a much bigger difference in car handling for career vs time trial. But it seems like there's some weight to manufacturer in TT. Driving the HRT I could only manage a 129.50 (1.5 slower than my Red Bull). My ghost is just able to accelerate quicker out of the corners and I'm constantly losing ground.

Joba62x

Neo Member
I just put the game in (360) and it forced an update from live, is this anything significant to fix the pit stuff?

Edit: Nevermind I think its the dash board preview update.

1-D_FTW

Setting Directx9 to false definitely makes a large difference in loading times and has completely eliminated my hiccups, but whenever I have to load something, it seems like there's a 33 percent chance the program crashes (once I'm up and racing it's rock stable). Running Windows 7 and 460GTX, so it's compatible. The directx11 patch can't come soon enough.

TylerD

So we really think there is a difference in the cars in TT? I did 50 or so laps as Force India on Melbourne and could only manage a 1.26.33. I am going to have to try the Red Bull to see what I can get.

TylerD said:
So we really think there is a difference in the cars in TT? I did 50 or so laps as Force India and could only manage a 1.26.33. I am going to have to try the Red Bull to see what I can get.

I think so. Trying out the Bahrain track, I was able to shave about 7 seconds off my previous Lotus time without even trying that hard, I couldn't believe it, it was like driving with even more assists than the game provides.

But both times were done without any assists, just for reference.

AcridMeat

Banned
Welp, career mode has made me hate Catalunya. Not only a ridiculous spin at 15, though I thought I had that problem sorted, but a random tire puncture as well. The puncture came right at the start of the lap too, so I was lapped by literally everyone while nursing the car around.

24th, big surprise. :lol

Juicy Bob

PS3, using default 'Dry' setup (furthest to the right).

IDQ7H.jpg

The thing with Time Trial mode is that you run on a fully 'rubbered-in' track on fumes with option tyres and ideal track conditions. That's why it seems so easy to drop your lap times compared to GP/online/career mode. Plus, you need to use the Red Bull, Ferrari or McLaren to get a very quick time.

Juicy Bob

It does in my experience. I ran my first flying lap in FP1 in Sepang on Primes and was understeering all over the shop, by the end of FP2 using the same setup while still on Primes I could feel the extra grip and I was going 1.0 - 1.5 seconds a lap faster.

TylerD

Branson said:
I didnt know the track "rubbered in". Does it really?

Yeah, I remember hearing that was part of the "living track" features in one of the preview videos. That is a nice inclusion.

If you thought Shanghai was tough, wait'll you get to Barcelona. The chicane at the end throws me off almost every single time! But with practice, I got it going :)

If you can watch a whole replay you could FRAPS it, but my 1:30 lap came to 1.3gb last night, sooo... :lol

I want this race to happen sooner, damnit. Providing I don't spin out and crash the barrier I should be able to put in a reasonable pace for the race it would seem.

Juicy Bob

That was a great video, and a great lap.

You brake later than me into Turn 1 and I love the way you take the right-hander after the fast chicane. I'm going to try that approach next time.

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
If you can watch a whole replay you could FRAPS it, but my 1:30 lap came to 1.3gb last night, sooo... :lol

I want this race to happen sooner, damnit. Providing I don't spin out and crash the barrier I should be able to put in a reasonable pace for the race it would seem.

I did a 1.26.6 and I got well excited, but I didn't check my vid files til later, when suddenly I realised there's a 4Gb cap, so I had to knock the frame rate for 60fps to 30 fps :(

I want feedback on this though - first time I done a vid for 4 years so was a bit rusty - so it can be better for race 2.

Yeah I had to lock mine to 30fps, as well. It's so much worse like that.

I liked your video. It did the job nicely. Pointless having a flash HD video and shit when it's just showing a lap time. As long as it's watchable then it's fine :)

Lucius86

Banned
Well I need to get a better mic :lol

And the quality can definitely be improved, but I ran out of time last night so I couldn't play with the settings in premiere pro. And I wanted graphics in from the preview being made, but again this will be for the second race I feel.

Top Bottom