• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Arcticfox

I ran into two more bugs. I quit the game after P1 completed and returned later for P2 and all my tires were at 100% even though the option was below 70% at the end of P1. Also in qualifying Q3 I ran one lap with the prime tire and then one lap with the option. I was 2 seconds faster with the option but the game had me start the race on the prime.

I wish the game did not have constant bugs as I am really enjoying it otherwise. I cant remember the last time I have had so much fun with a racing game driving lap after lap trying to learn the tracks and improve my times.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Sad to hear about the bugs, hopefully by the time I can pick it up it'll all be patched up. How have Codemaster been with patching their other games?

Dilly

Banned
Arcticfox said:
I ran into two more bugs. I quit the game after P1 completed and returned later for P2 and all my tires were at 100% even though the option was below 70% at the end of P1. Also in qualifying Q3 I ran one lap with the prime tire and then one lap with the option. I was 2 seconds faster with the option but the game had me start the race on the prime.

I wish the game did not have constant bugs as I am really enjoying it otherwise. I cant remember the last time I have had so much fun with a racing game driving lap after lap trying to learn the tracks and improve my times.

Don't you start with other sets of tyres when a new practice session starts? That's how it goes here.

matthsv said:
Sad to hear about the bugs, hopefully by the time I can pick it up it'll all be patched up. How have Codemaster been with patching their other games?

the game is still enjoyable.. and online is a blast

just make sure you find a decent group to play with.. otherwise just make sure you're waaaay back or waaaaay ahead in turn one..

Arcticfox

Dilly said:
Don't you start with other sets of tyres when a new practice session starts? That's how it goes here.
Then it was a different bug because normally the tires are greyed out when they are not usable and both the first prime and option were still available in P2 and every tire showed as 100%. It is a really minor issue as none of these practice tire sets affect the race tires.

It also did not save the R&D session that I passed when I chose to quit to paddock at the practice results screen instead of continue to the next session.

pmj

They now say they're working on a patch.

I'll probably just leave the game in the box until the patch is out.

Deadman

^^

Hi everyone.

We can confirm that we intend to create and release a patch for F1 2010.

This thread will be updated with information as we move through development, testing and release. It will take some time, and sometimes there will even be no news while work is going on, but we'll do our best to keep you as updated as we can. We do appreciate your patience - and your feedback to date.

Current Status:
The development team is currently investigating, going through feedback, and looking at reported issues.

Caldera.

itsgreen

Something is wrong though during the race... Did a 13 lap race in Barcelona.

Pitted in lap 12, was in first position.

Webber behind me the whole race pitted 3 laps before me....

In didn't run clean laps in the mean time, but not terrible laps. Overshot the pit area which cost me 4 secs tops.

He turned out to win the race on me with +20 secs...

16 secs in 3 laps... that is impressive...

(my worst laptime was 1:26 during that timeframe, 1:23 was pole in qually, he was atleast 2 secs faster than qually)

Cide

Deadman said:
^^
Hi everyone.

We can confirm that we intend to create and release a patch for F1 2010.

This thread will be updated with information as we move through development, testing and release. It will take some time, and sometimes there will even be no news while work is going on, but we'll do our best to keep you as updated as we can. We do appreciate your patience - and your feedback to date.

Current Status:
The development team is currently investigating, going through feedback, and looking at reported issues.

Caldera.
translation:
We might get around to it eventually. In the meantime, please keep buying our broken game.

Deadman said:
So I just tweaked one of the settings of the game and I stopped it crashing and also improved loading time by a ridiculous amount. I kept getting "f1 2010 executable has stopped working" as an error message, which is strange because i played for a few hours with no problem and then i suddenly got this error every 15 minutes.

Loading times used to be very long (15 seconds or more), they are now about 4 seconds.

My documents > My games > FormulaOne > Hardware settings

Open hardware_settings_config in notepad and change "directx forcedx9" to "false" instead of true.

From what others have said in other forums it seems that if you have a dx10 or 11 card and try and force it to run in 9 then it can cause the crash i was suffering. Ive no idea why the load times improved so much :lol

Any word on if that speeds up loading for dx9 cards as well?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wax Free Vanilla said:
lighting mod released

3248ee62bd8329no.jpg

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/f1-2010-game-89/track_lighting_mod_01v-5-tracks-3207/

is the default setting supposed to be a sunny day? :lol
Yikes, I know the Codemasters lighting is a bit muted, but then (for example) Australia GP was held at 5PM this year, making it early evening and thus the slightly orange/red sky and lighting is far more suitable than the midday sun + radioactive glow this mod provides.

I think there is a happy medium somewhere in here, the Codemasters way is too muted and contrasty, and this mod is like looking at a cartoonised version of reality with everything far too bright.

What is for sure though is that proper modders will be on this and no time and create a full pack of track mods that actually do justice to the game engine and the tracks themselves as lighting issues aside, the game does look fantastic.

evanylee

In 4th place at Melbourne, go in to pit, and suddenly I'm hit with the pit bug. I sit there for 16 seconds dropping down to 24th place, and get penalized for Blocking. Made me so mad, I just shut it off right there. After this and what a piece of crap Operation Flashpoint was, I wont buy another codemaster game

1-D_FTW

I was so annoyed I put away my wheel. Took me a while to drag everything back out.

It was fun racing with you guys. Sorry for taking a while to get it set up (still had some things clunky during race). Started out horrible (and was in constant fear of taking one of you guys out and screwing you over). But I settled in and had some okay laps after a while.

Direct X9 being false drastically reduced my load times. Haven't had a stutter yet either.

Well so far I've raced in Career, Grand Prix mode and Time Trials, and haven't seen any pitstop bugs or random race results yet...

Going by the feedback here I guess it's just a matter of time.

AcridMeat

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I was so annoyed I put away my wheel. Took me a while to drag everything back out.

It was fun racing with you guys. Sorry for taking a while to get it set up (still had some things clunky during race). Started out horrible (and was in constant fear of taking one of you guys out and screwing you over). But I settled in and had some okay laps after a while.

Direct X9 being false drastically reduced my load times. Haven't had a stutter yet either.

No problem! I apologize for being a loud mouth a couple times. I had a (few) chance(s) to take the win and lost it. Overall great fun though, looking forward to this weekend.

I hope they release a pit bug patch soon though...even with our party of 5 I was held up when 3 of us were in the pits at once.

Lucius was stuck with a bug as well as he was stuck on inters for the last third of the race.

edit: Actually, it could be that because it was an unscheduled pit stop, his selection on the mid race adjustments was set to inters as we had rain in qualifying. :/

Stop It said:
Yikes, I know the Codemasters lighting is a bit muted, but then (for example) Australia GP was held at 5PM this year, making it early evening and thus the slightly orange/red sky and lighting is far more suitable than the midday sun + radioactive glow this mod provides.

I think there is a happy medium somewhere in here, the Codemasters way is too muted and contrasty, and this mod is like looking at a cartoonised version of reality with everything far too bright.

What is for sure though is that proper modders will be on this and no time and create a full pack of track mods that actually do justice to the game engine and the tracks themselves as lighting issues aside, the game does look fantastic.
Same thing with dirt 2's early lighting mod, it removed nearly all bloom and made everything pure white, it was nice at first but it's what got me into messing around for weeks with the dirt 2 lighting to make something I was happy with.

If I ever get the pc version of f12010 (not until it's has fixes) i'll help balance the lighting.

NHale

lastplayed said:
Well so far I've raced in Career, Grand Prix mode and Time Trials, and haven't seen any pitstop bugs or random race results yet...

Going by the feedback here I guess it's just a matter of time.

I had my first problem with AI cars not pitting after 20 hours playing the game.

Juicy Bob

Anyone else have the online bug where the lights go out later for you than everyone else so you're stuck there for three extra seconds while everyone else takes off without you?

That just happened to me (PS3) and even though I finished 2nd right behind the leader, it gave me the win on the timing screen.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Diablohead said:
Same thing with dirt 2's early lighting mod, it removed nearly all bloom and made everything pure white, it was nice at first but it's what got me into messing around for weeks with the dirt 2 lighting to make something I was happy with.

If I ever get the pc version of f12010 (not until it's has fixes) i'll help balance the lighting.
Well, get buying it and join our online championship. Most of the real problems with the game lie with the AI so playing online (Which is well worth it with decent opposition) is well worth the cash.

I'm slightly biased as I only paid £20 (Early pre-orders, yey!) but hey, It'll be back at that price soon enough.

Yes, that is a blatant attempt to get you to buy the game quicker to get to playing with the lighting :p

Sent

Juicy Bob said:
Anyone else have the online bug where the lights go out later for you than everyone else so you're stuck there for three extra seconds while everyone else takes off without you?

That just happened to me (PS3) and even though I finished 2nd right behind the leader, it gave me the win on the timing screen.

I dunno but on Singapore (i think) if you are P1 you can't see the lights...

olimpia84

Juicy Bob said:

Yeah, it happened to me as well.

pmj

After reading so much about how easy the game is I wasn't expecting to have this much trouble with it. The big issue for me is getting acceleration right with the trigger on a pad. It's either not enough, and I lose time, or it's too much and I spin. I can't seem to ever find the sweet spot, and it's pretty demoralizing to be dead last after 20 practice laps and have the race engineer point that fact out to you every single lap.

And I have to agree with the UI complaints. The concept is fine, but it's just confusing to navigate. I thought I was just checking out options in the paddock and then all of a sudden I'm hit with a loading screen and I find myself in a practice session in Bahrain.

AcridMeat

Banned
pmj said:
After reading so much about how easy the game is I wasn't expecting to have this much trouble with it. The big issue for me is getting acceleration right with the trigger on a pad. It's either not enough, and I lose time, or it's too much and I spin. I can't seem to ever find the sweet spot, and it's pretty demoralizing to be dead last after 20 practice laps and have the race engineer point that fact out to you every single lap.

And I have to agree with the UI complaints. The concept is fine, but it's just confusing to navigate. I thought I was just checking out options in the paddock and then all of a sudden I'm hit with a loading screen and I find myself in a practice session in Bahrain.

After 20 hours on a 360 controller I can say it comes with practice. I'm still not perfect by any means and spin out when I'm too careless, but you get better over time with acceleration. Just remember you can go slowly down on the trigger and it will be nice and smooth.

I was having the same trouble when I first fully turned off traction control and the racing line. But once you get a feel for it, then you can start concentrating on the corners to get your speed back.

I'm really in love with the game..

And I already can't wait for the 2011 version which I'm sure is going to be miles and miles better than this one..

I don't feel any bugs are hindering the gameplay, for the pit-stop you can just pit before or after the suggested strategy and you're set

amazing game :)

EDIT: and WITH the bugs, its so much better and much more satisfying than F1CE in every aspect

moojito

I didn't realise that difficulty was determined by assists. I was trying to do a career race on easy mode, and it had all assists on. I turned them off, suddenly I was getting trounced in lap times.

So I put it back down to easy and had a go. Basically you just keep the pedal on the floor and steer vaguely in the direction of the corner for the win! It's still surprisingly good fun. I don't know if it's helping me learn the tracks, though.

It'd be nice if I could race with no assists on, but have the AI a bit slower. That would be ideal.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I participated in all three practice sessions but didn't get the achievement. I accelerated some of the time though I wonder if that was the problem?

1-D_FTW

moojito said:
I didn't realise that difficulty was determined by assists. I was trying to do a career race on easy mode, and it had all assists on. I turned them off, suddenly I was getting trounced in lap times.

So I put it back down to easy and had a go. Basically you just keep the pedal on the floor and steer vaguely in the direction of the corner for the win! It's still surprisingly good fun. I don't know if it's helping me learn the tracks, though.

It'd be nice if I could race with no assists on, but have the AI a bit slower. That would be ideal.

Can't you? Isn't that just custom? You can choose Medium (or whatever) and just disable whatever assists you want. It's then labeled custom difficulty. Or are you saying despite the AI difficulty reading medium, they're actually faster than "standard" medium?

Yoritomo

pmj said:

People saying it's easy are using wheels. The physics in the game make you feel like superman if you have a wheel.

1-D_FTW

Yoritomo said:
People saying it's easy are using wheels. The physics in the game make you feel like superman if you have a wheel.

Guess my wheel has Kryptonite in it.

Of course, the only game I'd previously played on my wheel was Dirt 2, so it's likely a lot has to do with just getting used to playing this way.

Yoritomo said:

i use g25. the game is not easy nor its hard but im playing on medium difficulty.. yes i suck at games :p

EDIT: and as much as I try I could never use the shifter. its just too many things at the same time

my settings now are

NO brake assistance
NO ABS
medium Traction
racing line full
AI Medium

moojito

1-D_FTW said:
Can't you? Isn't that just custom? You can choose Medium (or whatever) and just disable whatever assists you want. It's then labeled custom difficulty. Or are you saying despite the AI difficulty reading medium, they're actually faster than "standard" medium?

What I noticed was that once I changed all the assists to off, the difficulty did indeed say custom, but there was no seperate option for ai difficulty. I'd heard of people saying they had chosen "legendary" difficulty for ai, but I can't find an option for that. I'm getting my assist options just by pressing start and going to assists in there.

You have to do it in your trailer option next to your manager. It's in the race settings there. I had to be told it too. :)

Also, I'm thinking I might not be up for the GAF league. I got so tired of coming 20th and spinning off that I put ABS and traction control back on tonight and had much more fun. The challenge was no longer something I enjoyed, it was negatively impacting my experience with the game. I could hop in to qualifying to see how I do but I imagine that if I start playing with some assists on now I'll do even worse if I turn them off for the GAF races. :lol I kinda don't want to drop out though because the concept is really cool to me...

moojito

Foliorum Viridum said:
You have to do it in your trailer option next to your manager. It's in the race settings there. I had to be told it too. :)

Ah, nice! I'll look forward to that, then. As far as multiplayer goes, it seems if you can make it round the track at all you're doing better than 70% of the players on there already.

Yoritomo

A few pointers about the limit of the simulation. With ABS off you can brake at full pressure until about 80 mph without locking up on hard compound and 60 or even lower on softs. If you're accelerating and there's no bumps or you're not on the curb you can floor it from almost any gear if you keep your steering input under about 25 degrees in either direction. You're on the limit though so you may have to snap to correct any oversteer that jumps on you.

When entering a corner you want your HIGHEST degree of steering input to occur at the beginning of your turn in to the corner, then back off to going straight and slowly apply little bits of throttle until your steering input is to about the 20 degree limit then put the hammer down.

You can be at full throttle and full lock without spinning out at around the top of 4th gear in most setups. Beware of mid corner lower speed bumps (corners you take in 3rd or lower). Sometimes touching the curb at the wrong part of the corner will do the same thing.

To correct aggressive oversteer in this way you have to be VERY fast. Snap the wheel and back off the throttle. Don't try to drift out of the coner as it's not going to work. We're not all Piquet. Keep practicing. I have blisters on my thumbs from where I rest them on the wheel....

kitch9

Banned
Well fuck me pinkish......

I've gone toe to toe with Vettel and Hamilton for 16 laps in career and the game "forgets" to pit Chandhok and I come 2nd to him.

HOW THE FUCK DID THAT THROUGH QA CODEMASTERS YOU BUNCH OF USELESS FUCKS!?!?!?

Seriously, I love the driving, but I can't stand the shit.....

DarkJC

moojito said:
Ah, nice! I'll look forward to that, then. As far as multiplayer goes, it seems if you can make it round the track at all you're doing better than 70% of the players on there already.

Yep, it took me a while to figure this out too, but you can actually push X/A/whatever on the difficulty to open up a new menu, including options that aren't anywhere else such as the tire simulation, fuel simulation, and AI difficulty. In hindsight I guess I should've realized this was possible because of the little arrow pointing down beside "difficulty".

evanylee

Found another bug. In career mode, if you do P1, save, then exit the game, reload and start P2, your P1 times are erased. Same with qualifying. I was in 6th in Q1, saved, and shut off the XBOX. When I started back up again for Q2, none of my times were saved and I was at 24/24.

Also, does anyone's car severely understeer? I can put 100 of the ballast and lowest rear wing downforce, and this car still goes in a straight line while braking.

NHale

evanylee said:
Found another bug. In career mode, if you do P1, save, then exit the game, reload and start P2, your P1 times are erased. Same with qualifying. I was in 6th in Q1, saved, and shut off the XBOX. When I started back up again for Q2, none of my times were saved and I was at 24/24.

Also, does anyone's car severely understeer? I can put 100 of the ballast and lowest rear wing downforce, and this car still goes in a straight line while braking.

That is not a bug. It's the same thing in real F1, Q1 lap times are erased since Q2 is a new qualifying session.

moojito said:

And if you don't make any mistakes and avoid the 1st corner havoc, you will win 90% of the races. In the weekend it was more like 99,9%, so it's getting better.

acm2000

not had this much fun with an F1 game since F1 97 on the PS1 :D congrats to codies, now fix those bugs and i'll be a happy man

Lucius86

Banned
So, for the GAF tourny, I know there will be a preview being made but will people appreciate a video preview of the upcoming track, with a commentated hot lap so you can get a rough idea on breaking distances, speeds in corners etc.

This game is so awesome online. It's a shame with the amount of bugs there are, because it really is just so much fun.

Lach

Damn I just had a very frustrating experience with the predefined racelap times for A.I.

I was qualifying in Kuala Lumpur. Just as I started my flying lap, Vettel had to come out the pitlane and place himself in front of me. The douche that he is (and by he I technically mean the A.I) wouldn't give me any place to overtake. Of course it took several tries to overtake him and I lost quite some time. As I had finished my lap and he started his I thought I'd pay him back and hinder him as good as possible.

Well we started/ended the lap almost simultaniously, but as I got a lap time of 1:40 he got a 1:34.

I actually think that the fixed lap times aren't as big a problem as the drivers don't let go out of your way when you're on the flying lap.

Gowans

Sod it I can make my money back if I take this back this week and grab it later maybe if theres a patch.

It's going back.

Gowans007 said:
Sod it I can make my money back if I take this back this week and grab it later maybe if theres a patch.

It's going back.
Good man gowans, don't support a half broken game, I love codies but I refuse to buy F1 until they fix the problems for single player, the part I would play the most :/

Top Bottom