• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

AcridMeat

Banned
Leunam said:
A note to the drivers: Those boxes are like your helmet. If there's anything you want me to do to customize it for you, let me know in a PM. Flag, helmet, car, gradient color, whatever.

Great idea. If it's possible we should have our cars once we have the teams set.

Also I'll try to get my helmet to you, might just have to try to design it.

AcridMeat said:
Great idea. If it's possible we should have our cars once we have the teams set.

Also I'll try to get my helmet to you, might just have to try to design it.

Any openings in other championships?

what are the details? time zone? race lengths? number of races per session..etc?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Leunam said:
The qualifying session begins this weekend at ~9:30am Pacific, 5:30pm for those in the UK. Since we only have 12 spots available, this will be run on a first come first serve basis.

For the guys in Australia, if you guys would like, you can join us, but if it's at an inconvenient time, you can host a league on the side as well.

Since it's our first race, I hope to see a lot of this:

O37oj.gif

Have fun guys! I'll put up another results post/preview once our grid is set.
Yey, it's finally here. The start if the season... Wait a minute! :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to tomorrow. I think me and AcridMeat are fully expecting to get destroyed in Quali as the likes of Dilly, Animal etc are frankly insane, but I'm just here to have fun and to push myself to my own personal limits.

After all, I AM driving for Virgin racing :)

Cya tomorrow guys, good luck and have fun.

Leunam said:
A note to the drivers: Those boxes are like your helmet. If there's anything you want me to do to customize it for you, let me know in a PM. Flag, helmet, car, gradient color, whatever.
Ooh, neat idea, PM sent.

That's a damn fine post. Can't wait for tomorrow evening :D

Edit: I'm driving as Force India so maybe you want to edit my bit of the box to include that car, helmet and colour scheme? I'm from Wales as well if you want a flag. :)

AcridMeat

Banned
Cars aren't technically finalized yet since we had late comers so the preferences of everyone is skewed a bit. Once we have the definitive 12 I'll finalize it. :)

AcridMeat

Banned
Dilly said:
I hope I get a decent connection, played a race online some time ago and that was quite laggy

Hopefully there won't be too much trouble. I've raced with people from France, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, Germany, Belgium and haven't had any issues yet. We'll see how it is when we have a large group though.

Orgun

What is the recommended Force Feedback wheel for the PC? I'm thinking of picking this up and getting some practice in time for the next NeoGaf GP (if there is one) :)

Lucius86

Banned
Orgun said:
What is the recommended Force Feedback wheel for the PC? I'm thinking of picking this up and getting some practice in time for the next NeoGaf GP (if there is one) :)

I picked up a Logitech Force GT from Argos for £80 and it has served me admirably so far. Depends how much you are willing to spend, but if you were in the same boat as me (i.e. nothing too fancy) I can heartily recommend it.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
AcridMeat said:
Cars aren't technically finalized yet since we had late comers so the preferences of everyone is skewed a bit. Once we have the definitive 12 I'll finalize it. :)
Well I'm sure that nobody else will be demanding the use of a Virgin (Wait a minute...) but as long as the car I end up in isn't red, I'll be a happy camper.

Anyway, tonight and tomorrow will be dedicated to some severe practice before the action starts. I want to get around Albert Park blindfolded before I turn a wheel in anger.

Juicy Bob said:
Surely you guys are using 'equal performance'?
Of course, but you tell a member of the Tifosi to race in a McLaren and you'll be told where to get off!

Juicy Bob

Stop It said:
Of course, but you tell a member of the Tifosi to race in a McLaren and you'll be told where to get off!

I completely understand, 'cept I'm firmly in the 'anything but a Ferrari' camp, myself.

Lucius86

Banned
Stop It said:
Anyway, tonight and tomorrow will be dedicated to some severe practice before the action starts. I want to get around Albert Park blindfolded before I turn a wheel in anger.

Heh, I am expecting a lot of GAF online tonight practicing :lol

Leunam

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Question about Multiplayer. Is it really restricted in terms of teams or can everyone race as a Red Bull or McLaren? I was under the impression that you had to race like you would in a Grand Prix (2 cars per team).

Lucius86

Banned
Leunam said:
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Question about Multiplayer. Is it really restricted in terms of teams or can everyone race as a Red Bull or McLaren? I was under the impression that you had to race like you would in a Grand Prix (2 cars per team).

The FIA did not give Codies the license to allow more than one car per team to race - this is why there is a 12 player limit with the game.

They didn't like the idea of having team 'battles' I read somewhere...

Leunam

Don't know how I forgot that. :/ Thanks.

For those that PM'd me about your "livery," I'll work on it tonight once I get home from work.

olimpia84

Adamm said:
AHHHH! im so close to throwing this game in this bin
(and by that i mean un-install it as a bought it on steam)

I some how managed to qualify in 11th in monaco even though im horrible at that track. Even better than that - i managed to get up to 9th in the race without crashing into a wall!

All was going well until i got called into the pits - i had a 9 second pit stop (which wasnt too bad in the grand scene of things) but some how managed to come out in 24th place.
I didnt think too much off it as i assumed they would all have to pit......but of course not (why would they?)
I spend the remaining laps trying to fight my way back up the field while eventually getting to 19th in the end.
But none of those cars pitted! There is no way i lost out on 15 places because of a pit stop that was 5 seconds longer than average

Its not like this is a quick 10 minute run - you spend hours in practice & qualifying just to be thrown to back of the field in the race!

How am i suppose to do well if half the field doesn't even pit?

I give up

Yeah, that's one of my biggest complains. No matter what strategy I use every time I pit I drop to almost dead last. Then when the cpu pits they magically do a better job than me so they always exit ahead...

Frawdder

Hot damn do I hate punctures. Twice I was on my way to victory at Montreal (in a Lotus no less, quite the effort if I do say so myself) and twice I was robbed because of a puncture...

ARGH!!

Calling it a night out of frustration.

Also, the Aussies will be holding their qualifying session for the GAF Championship tomorrow, I'll post the results in here, haven't set a time yet, but If anyone wants to join us three then you're quite welcome.

Leunam

If we get more people, enough for a second league, I will gladly track both and create more banners. Doesn't even have to be that many people for another league.

Kworn

Banned
Was really pissed that I got to 3rd on the podium then...

They dont show the celebrations or me picking up the cup, I mean WTF this is all part of the experience

Why leave it out?

Lucius86

Banned
Kworn said:
Was really pissed that I got to 3rd on the podium then...

They dont show the celebrations or me picking up the cup, I mean WTF this is all part of the experience

Why leave it out?

There's no denying the career mode is not up to scratch currently...

TylerD

Good of Gametrailers to mention the pit bug. Not that anyone that actually plays the career mode can miss it. That xbox360 freeze is total crap too.

I was doubtful of GT doing a review of F1.

Leunam said:
100 more than what they previously had?

That brings the total to 100 QA testers and 2 blind guys.

Lucius86

Banned
Well, alas I am off out on the piss tonight through an unexpected house party - so only 10 laps of time trialling on Australia for preparation.

1.23.289 - that's the gauntlet I've just thrown down! It's amazing how much more grip there is in time trial compared to a race weekend, like the final corner in time trial you can take flat out. I swear I can get into the 1.22's, but I just need to absolutely nail it in one lap with each corner perfect.

So after an hour or so in time trials this is my best effort on Melbourne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85mVuleLSv4 (for the love of God watch in 480p!)

1:25.164

Excuse the shitty quality, I compressed it to hell because I wasn't uploading 1.3gb. :lol I'm happy with my performance now; it's not perfect by any means but I know the track well and, other than turns 13 and 15 which I still don't feel confident on, I'm happy to push the car harder than before.

I'd like to thank Tyler for his ghost because it gave me something to race after and genuinely made me better I think :D Nearly had the fucker too -_-

Lucius86 said:
Well, alas I am off out on the piss tonight through an unexpected house party - so only 10 laps of time trialling on Australia for preparation.

1.23.289 - that's the gauntlet I've just thrown down! It's amazing how much more grip there is in time trial compared to a race weekend, like the final corner in time trial you can take flat out. I swear I can get into the 1.22's, but I just need to absolutely nail it in one lap with each corner perfect.
I'm so adding you on XBL now. I want your ghost. :p

TylerD

Nice to see my ghost in action! I put in about 100 laps or so on Melbourne in TT mode that day. You should race Lucius's ghost if you really want to feel hopeless though. :lol

beaten:

Prep for GAF GP... first step, download ghost from Lucius86.

TylerD said:
Nice to see my ghost in action! I put in about 100 laps or so on Melbourne in TT mode that day. You should race Lucius's ghost if you really want to feel hopeless though. :lol

beaten:
I thought I had you on the last corner and then your ghostly figure crept ahead. :(

Orgun

Lucius86 said:
I picked up a Logitech Force GT from Argos for £80 and it has served me admirably so far. Depends how much you are willing to spend, but if you were in the same boat as me (i.e. nothing too fancy) I can heartily recommend it.

Thanks for the tip, from the reviews i've seen that is a solid Wheel. :) Just a shame everywhere seems to be sold out :(

Afrikan

DieH@rd said:

so I went back and watched their F1 Champion Edition review..

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-formula-one/17617?type=flv

"Fans of F1 should enjoy this game, while the rest of us will have to fulfill our racing needs elsewhere."

they said it was too hard with all the assist turned off....but too easy with all the assist turned on....and gave it a review score of 7.3

and some of the complaints in the video review are kind of confusing.

where as their review of F1 2010 was a great score of 8.6. but at the same time they had glaring problems with the game....but the good points obviously out way the problems. And the reviewer doesn't seem to care about difficulty for noobs or simulation gamers and if it should affect the review itself.

this post is not about game wars between the two or anything...but more of the inconsistent reviews of early PS3 games....and how F1CE was one of those victims at the time....which I felt was unfortunate to gamers at the time.

/rant

Afrikan said:
so I went back and watched their F1 Champion Edition review..

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-formula-one/17617?type=flv

"Fans of F1 should enjoy this game, while the rest of us will have to fulfill our racing needs elsewhere."

they said it was too hard with all the assist turned off....but too easy with all the assist turned on....and gave it a review score of 7.3

and some of the complaints in the video review are kind of confusing.

where as their review of F1 2010 was a great score of 8.6. but at the same time they had glaring problems with the game....but the good points obviously out way the problems. And the reviewer doesn't seem to care about difficulty for noobs or simulation gamers and if it should affect the review itself.

this post is not about game wars between the two or anything...but more of the inconsistent reviews of early PS3 games....and how F1CE was one of those victims at the time....which I felt was unfortunate to gamers at the time.

/rant
The earlier review was done before I even worked at GT. We strive to be consistent, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to expect consistency with something from three and a half years ago.

TylerD

Bloodworth said:
The earlier review was done before I even worked at GT. We strive to be consistent, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to expect consistency with something from three and a half years ago.

I just want to say I think you guys do the best video reviews. I will watch them even if I have no interest in picking up the game.

Afrikan

Bloodworth said:

I wasn't trying to single out GT, more so the general media at the time....it just seemed like it was the "in thing" to do at the time, or came off like that.

either way, it was just a rant and like you said it was 3 years ago.....I'm very glad to hear there are still gaming journalist who strives to be consistent.

Top Bottom