• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Leunam

slamskank said:
Thanks Leunam and Lucius for the awesome work! See you all on the track tomorrow!

Thanks! But don't forget AcridMeat, he got everyone together for this.

Foliorum Viridum said:
So what is the situation tomorrow? Just qualifying? Qualifying then race? And how long will race be?

Bit of confusion on Steam atm...

Qualifying and we may do the race as well. Race will be 40% length.

Lucius86

Banned
Leunam said:
Thanks! But don't forget AcridMeat, he got everyone together for this.

Qualifying and we may do the race as well. Race will be 40% length.

PERSONALLY I'd much rather do it all at once - reason being we cannot manually set people in certain grid positions.

DarkJC

So how many of you guys own this on PS3? Is there enough for us to do something like the PC folks are doing? I've yet to race online, but I'd like to give it a shot if there's enough of us.

Roxas

DarkJC said:
So how many of you guys own this on PS3? Is there enough for us to do something like the PC folks are doing? I've yet to race online, but I'd like to give it a shot if there's enough of us.

Sure im up for it.

--------------------------

Im confused about how the penalty system works online. I was shunted from behind by another car, spun around and ended up on the track, then another car crashed into me. IM THE MOTHERFUCKER WHO GETS THE PENALTY. And the 2 cars that crashed into me got jack shit. So confusing.

Lucius86

Banned
Another thing - before I sign off for tonight.

I am a tiny bit concerned about etiquette for tomorrow. And I don't mean letting faster cars go by, no harsh defending etc. In fact, quite the contrary. I have the most fun racing wheel to wheel with everyone on that first lap, but these cars are FAST - mistakes will happen from people, and you may get caught up in them by pure accident at no fault of your own.

That's the nature of racing. If I am 5 meters behind you, and you break 20 meters before I normally do for the next corner, I'm going to hit you up the ass - I don't have superman's reflexes.

I think we need to make sure we don't boil over if a bad mistake happens by any of us. Try and laugh it off, get out of the gravel trap and get on with catching up.

At the same time though, please don't purposefully cut a corner to overtake someone or punt them off, if you're being lapped let the faster car go by, and try and leave as much room as real F1 drivers do in the races during overtakes, and check your mirrors! I wouldn't expect a real world driver to weave all over the place - I don't really want to see the same happen tomorrow.

In Qualifying, if you're not on your fast lap stay off the racing lines much as you can for everyone else.

If we all try our best to make sure we have the most fun tomorrow, I am sure this championship will be an absolute blast.

Consdering we raced for over 3 hours tonight I think it went pretty well. A few frustrating crashes, but that's always going to happen.

I like this thread because it's full of nice people, so hopefully over the course of this league that won't begin to change. :lol

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Consdering we raced for over 3 hours tonight I think it went pretty well. A few frustrating crashes, but that's always going to happen.

I like this thread because it's full of nice people, so hopefully over the course of this league that will begin to change. :lol

I can turn into a cock now if you want :lol

No, we had a really fun session tonight, and everything was in good spirit. I just want it to continue tomorrow when there's 12 of us.

Lucius86

Banned
moojito said:
Looking forward to seeing the qualifying times so I can have a go on my 360 and see where I'd fit in!

Our fastest race pace today was high 1.28s FYI...but again this is with a green track. TT I did a 1.23.2 today which just highlights the difference!

Bloodworth said:
The earlier review was done before I even worked at GT. We strive to be consistent, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to expect consistency with something from three and a half years ago.

You work at GT? Could you please ask whoever writes the reviews to please not ask a question in the beginning of every review? I stopped watching for awhile it got so bad. :lol

AcridMeat

Banned
Lucius86 said:
Another thing - before I sign off for tonight.

I am a tiny bit concerned about etiquette for tomorrow. And I don't mean letting faster cars go by, no harsh defending etc. In fact, quite the contrary. I have the most fun racing wheel to wheel with everyone on that first lap, but these cars are FAST - mistakes will happen from people, and you may get caught up in them by pure accident at no fault of your own.

That's the nature of racing. If I am 5 meters behind you, and you break 20 meters before I normally do for the next corner, I'm going to hit you up the ass - I don't have superman's reflexes.

I think we need to make sure we don't boil over if a bad mistake happens by any of us. Try and laugh it off, get out of the gravel trap and get on with catching up.

At the same time though, please don't purposefully cut a corner to overtake someone or punt them off, if you're being lapped let the faster car go by, and try and leave as much room as real F1 drivers do in the races during overtakes, and check your mirrors! I wouldn't expect a real world driver to weave all over the place - I don't really want to see the same happen tomorrow.

In Qualifying, if you're not on your fast lap stay off the racing lines much as you can for everyone else.

If we all try our best to make sure we have the most fun tomorrow, I am sure this championship will be an absolute blast.

Cheers for making a post of what I was going to say. This championship is for fun competition for those who enjoy racing. These cars are ridiculous and yes it's hard to prepare for those ahead braking earlier than you. Hopefully we'll learn to be patient when trying to overtake though.

Again we'll have it set to cosmetic damage, as crashes are inevitable with a group this large and we don't want it to ruin someones race right in the first corner.

I know I left early on your guys' session to get to work but the race we did was fun, hope it continues tomorrow. :)

Oh and as for tomorrow, if we end up doing a race it won't count championship points wise. Unless absolutely everyone can stay and wants it that way. It will be quite an interesting set up since we will be dumped into the game and if anyone hits start we only have 30 seconds until the race after qualifying. Hopefully we can organize it well enough.

TylerD

I am excited to be racing tomorrow and I am also excited that it isnt going to count towards the overall championship since I am on call and will surely have to drop out of the race if i get a call.

You guys don't have to worry about any ill effects or bad will from accidentally shunting me off course. I am of the mindset that I am more careful when it comes to not ruining someone else's race than my own.

I would also say if you hit somebody and you know it is your fault and you gain a position for it, let that person back by. Chances are they will make a mistake from the pressure and you will be able to get by cleanly. :D

I'll be on practicing tonight when I don't have any calls.

GuessWho

I need help when not using traction control, holy shit I just can't do without it. I always spin out frustrates the hell out of me.

MGR

Just completed the Istanbul GP in career mode. Alonso, Webber and Petrov don't bother to pit. 4th race in a row I've been fucked over by this bug.

Fuck this game.

Juicy Bob

I'm by no means an online veteran, but I've played a few sims online before and I enjoy having good clean battles for 7th way more than I do driving around on my own in the lead because everyone else has run into each other. Here's some advice I've picked up from others and through experience over the years, though I apologise if I end up telling you things you already know. :)

If you're behind another car and you're faster, just be prepared to brake earlier than your usual braking point to try and avoiding running into the back of someone. Sometimes, I start to lift off lightly just before reaching the braking point as I can react a lot better if the guy in front brakes earlier than I was anticipating. If you've run wide and you know someone is right behind you, if you then cut back to the inside you'll probably find that gap has already been filled by the other bloke and you'll crash - so just rememeber you have some responsibility to avoid a collision even if you're the one being overtaken. Also, if you're side-by-side heading into a braking zone for a corner or a tight hairpin and you have the inside line, you'll usually have to brake earlier as you won't be taking the racing line into the corner. If you don't, more often than not you'll understeer into the guy on the outside because the angle has been tightened and you just can't make the apex at the same speed.

One last thing, if you're following someone try not to focus on their car. Don't 'watch' them, but rather look 'through' them. If your eyes are focused on the car ahead, you tend to follow the exact same line as them and often end up making the same mistakes, such as braking too late for a hairpin or running wide at a 90* corner. You'll see where they are in your peripheral vision, so if you look through the car and concentrate on imagining where the apexs are, you should be fine.

I know it's not actually about this game, but this guide for Grand Prix Legends by Phillip McNelley has some really decent advice on online racing etiquette and techniques if it's of any use to everyone. Accidents happen, but if everyone's aware and takes a bit of caution and uses their head, you can have an incredibly fun race.

AcridMeat

Banned
Well said Juicy Bob. I think a lot of us have that mentality luckily. However, once those lights go off...
O37oj.gif

It's inevitable, just 8 1/2 hours now. :D

As someone who laps 2-4 seconds slower than the top guys I'll try to get out of the way as soon as I can. Too many times last night I was shunted from behind and into a wall because I hit the brakes earlier due to the lack of skill to go in to a corner as late as some of you guys. :lol It will make the faster guys happier and will prevent me from being frustrated because my race is practically over by the time I get back on the track.

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
As someone who laps 2-4 seconds slower than the top guys I'll try to get out of the way as soon as I can. Too many times last night I was shunted from behind and into a wall because I hit the brakes earlier due to the lack of skill to go in to a corner as late as some of you guys. :lol It will make the faster guys happier and will prevent me from being frustrated because my race is practically over by the time I get back on the track.

Nooooooooo, PLEASE don't. If it's for position, you should fight for it - even if I'm clearly faster, I need to EARN that spot from you by outbraking you into a corner. People from behind just have to adapt to different paces of car. Just be fair that if you know someone is beside you, give them room.

Yeah but from my POV it's not fun to maintain the racing line with a faster car behind me, surprise them with my braking zone and end up in a wall.

I'll see how the pace of the race is, but I was knocked in to last too many times last from 1st or 2nd by faster cars to have the confidence to hold my line without worry of going off. :lol

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah but from my POV it's not fun to maintain the racing line with a faster car behind me, surprise them with my braking zone and end up in a wall.

I'll see how the pace of the race is, but I was knocked in to last too many times last from 1st or 2nd by faster cars to have the confidence to hold my line without worry of going off. :lol

Ok, well if you see a green lotus trying to overtake I still want people to put up a fight!

Juicy Bob

Foliorum Viridum said:

Make them work for it, hold the inside line and make them pass you round the outside. It's a perfectly fair and easy way to defend. And if they crash into you, that's their fault, not yours.

1-D_FTW

Haven't had a chance to race since the video of the racing line was posted:( Gonna get home in a couple hours, so hopefully I'll have a chance to go for an hour or so before we start. Can't believe you guys raced for 3 hours last night. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Lucius86 said:
Ok, well if you see a green lotus trying to overtake I still want people to put up a fight!
Indeed, but people must realise that if a car is ahead, THEY have the right to set the pace. If you want to get by, you'll have to pull off an overtaking move.

If you're following, be prepared to react to braking points that may not be your usual spots. It's not the fault of the guy in front if they get rammed because they use different braking points.

Juicy Bob said:
Make them work for it, hold the inside line and make them pass you round the outside. It's a perfectly fair and easy way to defend. And if they crash into you, that's their fault, not yours.
Indeed, If I'm ahead, I'll race my own way, if someone wants to get by, they'll have to get around me, not through me.

Edit: That said, I am looking forward to today's racing, should be an epic laugh.

GHG

Gold Member
Right so I'm new to all this organised online racing malaky. What do I do? Just get online on steam for around 5:20 pm UK time and then I'll get invited into the race? Has everyone already chosen cars, etc? Sorry, I've been out of the loop a bit in the last week or so, had a hectic week.

Not practiced that much, only managed to play for around 3 hours since I got the game but I'm confident I'll be able to get a low 1:28 time in qualifying.

kitch9

Banned
MGR said:
YJust completed the Istanbul GP in career mode. Alonso, Webber and Petrov don't bother to pit. 4th race in a row I've been fucked over by this bug.

Fuck this game.
Do you use flashbacks by chance? I've a theory that if you use one as they are pitting, and reverse them out of the pit lane the game classes them as pitted and let's them carry on from the flashback without pitting.

Juicy Bob

kitch9 said:
Do you use flashbacks by chance? I've a theory that if you use one as they are pitting, and reverse them out of the pit lane the game classes them as pitted and let's them carry on from the flashback without pitting.

That would actually make sense. I've never suffered the 'no-pitting' bug and I don't use flashbacks. Granted, I've only run 3 races, but still.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, that'll teach me for trying to follow my usual line into the first Corner at Sepang after messing up my start.

Red Bull, It gives you WINGS

Edit: Excuse the sound, bloody fraps decided that the radio was more interesting than the sound of F1 2010 :/

MGR

kitch9 said:

Juicy Bob said:
That would actually make sense. I've never suffered the 'no-pitting' bug and I don't use flashbacks. Granted, I've only run 3 races, but still.

Never used a flashback and I play on expert so flashbacks aren't even available. Codies damn well knew this game was riddled with significant bugs before release. Poor form.

Lucius86

Banned
Racing round Monaco for the first time is MENTAL...

And now in P2, the heavens open. FUCK. I think I've been through 5-6 wings now. Sorry mechanics :lol

TylerD

GHG said:
Right so I'm new to all this organised online racing malaky. What do I do? Just get online on steam for around 5:20 pm UK time and then I'll get invited into the race? Has everyone already chosen cars, etc? Sorry, I've been out of the loop a bit in the last week or so, had a hectic week.

Not practiced that much, only managed to play for around 3 hours since I got the game but I'm confident I'll be able to get a low 1:28 time in qualifying.

Are you in the F1 2010 GAF group on steam?

My thought is that we should get a steam chat going with everyone who is going to be participating so we can confirm live IDs and make sure that everyone makes it into the custom GP we are going to setup. Also, sometimes people drop off when the game starts so we need a way to know who did or didnt make it in.

GHG

Gold Member
TylerD said:
Are you in the F1 2010 GAF group on steam?

My thought is that we should get a steam chat going with everyone who is going to be participating so we can confirm live IDs and make sure that everyone makes it into the custom GP we are going to setup. Also, sometimes people drop off when the game starts so we need a way to know who did or didnt make it in.

Yep.

On the list for qualifying as well.

I'll be on steam from now through to half 5.

The season progression system is very... odd.

I've started out at HRT (where the first season objective is to finish 20th in the championship), and while I've had a very up and down season, due in part to the absolute dire performance of the game on my PC, I've also managed to get a pole, a podium finish and two or three other points finishes - putting me 15th in the championship with 26 points.

Now, while Bruno was top dog by the half way point in the season, I've blitzed him since then, and yet four races from the end of the season I've been told HRT aren't going to renew my contract. Two races later, I've been told the same again, despite outclassing Bruno in both races, beating my championship rival in both races, and meeting all the session objectives in both races.

Ta fuck?!

Ikopi

Didn't make it through qualifying in the GAF group. I wasn't used to racing without a racing line so I guess that's my fault. Some guys were really flying, incredible.

moojito

rogue_pigeon said:
The season progression system is very... odd.

I've started out at HRT (where the first season objective is to finish 20th in the championship), and while I've had a very up and down season, due in part to the absolute dire performance of the game on my PC, I've also managed to get a pole, a podium finish and two or three other points finishes - putting me 15th in the championship with 26 points.

Now, while Bruno was top dog by the half way point in the season, I've blitzed him since then, and yet four races from the end of the season I've been told HRT aren't going to renew my contract. Two races later, I've been told the same again, despite outclassing Bruno in both races, beating my championship rival in both races, and meeting all the session objectives in both races.

Ta fuck?!

Perhaps your team's 3rd driver, while being useless had a lot of wealthy sponsors. Ask Karun Chandhok!

1-D_FTW

Lot of fun.

I'm pretty sure I'll be a little better next week. I'll practice more now that I know we're gonna have full grids.

Also was the first time I raced with the racing/braking line off. Definitely looks better without it, but took a little while to adjust.

Can't believe the start though. I deliberately held back because I didn't want to cause any crashes. And there was carnage at every turn. Eventually I had to join in:lol

What's the deal with the yellow flag warnings though. I got a warning 3 times for passing on yellow. A car's way off the track and I'm supposed to hammer the brakes and sit for 30 seconds for him to get back and rejoin racing? Do you lose seconds for that? Pretty horrible bug if so. A person who crashes shouldn't have his position held.

AcridMeat

Banned
Great fun, I thought I did a good job avoiding a lot of the carnage, but that led to me getting shunted in the 5th or 6th corner into the back of the gravel. :lol

Dropped to 10th but fought my way to 5th, pleased overall.

Top Bottom