• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

rogue_pigeon said:
The season progression system is very... odd.

I've started out at HRT (where the first season objective is to finish 20th in the championship), and while I've had a very up and down season, due in part to the absolute dire performance of the game on my PC, I've also managed to get a pole, a podium finish and two or three other points finishes - putting me 15th in the championship with 26 points.

Now, while Bruno was top dog by the half way point in the season, I've blitzed him since then, and yet four races from the end of the season I've been told HRT aren't going to renew my contract. Two races later, I've been told the same again, despite outclassing Bruno in both races, beating my championship rival in both races, and meeting all the session objectives in both races.

Ta fuck?!

Right, have just gone on to complete the last race of the season, in which I qualified 5th and won comfortably by four and a half seconds. That means I finish the championship in 12th with 51 points - Senna hasn't scored a point all season - and HRT are 8th in the constructors, three points behind Sauber.

After all that, I've got 14 XP, and appears I'm only getting contract offers from Virgin and Lotus, but it appears I can stay at HRT after all - albeit with equal status.

That's just batshit insane!

DarkJC said:
So how many of you guys own this on PS3? Is there enough for us to do something like the PC folks are doing? I've yet to race online, but I'd like to give it a shot if there's enough of us.

Count me in
PSN: Gutterboy44

Finally got round to having a blast good and proper.
It's really good but boy, a few things really get on my tits. I'm doing a time trial and I cut a corner barely half way round the circuit. What's all the bollocks with "invalidating next lap" when there's 5 more fucking corners to go until the last corner into the start/finish straight when cutting a corner would be relevant? Is this FIA rules?

As for the pit voice overs, fuck me. Absolute shit. The only useful advice in a race is reminding me when to pit in. All the rest is either late in coming (usually several seconds after the event) or just plain wrong. Dreadful.
And anyone else having trouble pulling away from the pit lane after hitting the pit lane limiter? I swear I pass the line, hit the button and fuck all happens for a couple of seconds. Am I doing something wrong?

Apart from that I'm really enjoying it. Can't help feeling though that Codemasters really took on too much trying to recreate the F1 experience accurately. Not bad, but just too much of a mouthful for them to deal with.

Just started playing today. So I'm not that into F1 but I do like Codie's racing games, which is why I picked this up. I'm having a good time but even doing the short races (10 laps) takes a long time! It's a lot of fun though. I like the little interview bits even if they don't make much of a difference.

I don't get it. I started career in a Virgin and qualified 2nd on the grid, and finished 4th after a couple of race incidents, which I thought wasn't too bad in a Virgin.

But come Melbourne I can't even qualify in the top 20. I give it all I can possibly give and I'm still 3/4 seconds off the pace, and the game suddenly expects me to finish 15th. I feel like I'm going to need days of practice before I can get anywhere near that. :(

Leunam

LHocq.png

JpuUb.png

TbfYD.png

uiNVN.png

IiB1u.png

eYXh4.png
7sxzz.png

dv344.png
TvXGr.png
6QzD5.png

8DHbf.png
0L2ws.png

r6Y97.png

wVoRs.png

Ahrz9.png

LcpvB.png

KPzcU.png

StkLx.png

MSama.png

trVD0.png
PXMEq.png

y3R1O.png
PXMEq.png

neU8e.png

3478bbn.jpg

Leunam: You took the first win of the season. How do you feel right now?
Lucius86: I feel on top of the world. Wow, and exhausted. Dilly pushed me all the way, we clashed wheels twice, but I managed to hold on
Leunam: You dropped down to ninth before the first corner. What happened there?
Lucius86: I had a horrendous start - I think the anti-stall kicked in but by that point I was down to 5th, and I was cautious going in to turn 1 and ended 9th
Leunam: Was there a particular sector or corner that gave you trouble at all?
Lucius86: Dilly was consistently a few tenths faster than me at turns 6&7 - each time i looked back he gained a few meters. Thankfully I was slightly faster through 11 & 12, which gave me a breather each lap

287pze9.jpg

Leunam: Dilly, first pole of the season. how does that feel?
Dilly: It's a great way to start the season, but I had to push quite hard to beat Lucius. I succeeded beating him in my second run, but when I went again for a third run I improved my time and that was quite unexpected
Leunam: Were you confident in your car setup or do you think there was something you could have improved?
Dilly: The setup was great, I like a car that has some oversteer. I knew the pace was there with the option tires but I did not know what to expect when putting on the primes. I was pleasantly surprised that the primes were also working very good.
Leunam: Did you get a chance to witness the chaos in the first two corners or were you safely out of the way?
Dilly: I did not see what happened in the first corner, because I was having a battle with Animal for first place. Animal then overshot the second corner and I get hit from behind. First I thought I was in the gravel alone, but when I looked in the mirrors, I saw the whole field in the gravel. Quite hilarious actually

15yyoh5.gif

Leunam: Qualified third, finished third. Are you satisfied with your result or do you think you could have done better?
Animal: Absolutely. My team worked really hard through the night to setup my car just right after having learned what the other teams have discovered. It was a close call but they pulled through and got it done before the race start. So I'd like to thank my team for all their hard work because it wouldn't have been possible without them. I was first into the third corner but got distracted by a phone call on my celly. I forgot to leave it in the garage. I had to stop on the side of the road and take the call. Then I had a contact with a lagging car and the stewards decided I deserved a drive through penalty. So ya I'm really disappointed I couldn't fight out with the top 2 but it was a good result nonetheless and I'm looking forward to next race.
Leunam: Obviously finishing on the podium is a great result, but was there anything you could think back to that maybe could have put you in second or even first?
Animal: Hopefully the team can get me a blue tooth headset so I can take calls without ever having to stop on the side of the road.

Leunam: Monaco is next. Considering how different it is from Australia, do you expect a similar result? How do you plan to approach the setup for your car?
Lucius86: No, I expect Monaco to be extra tough. It requires the utmost concentration and consistency. If I get on the podium there I will be very happy. As for the setup, it will be a total contrast to Melbourne, with maximum downforce. Overtaking will also be tricky. I am very much looking forward to it!
Animal: It's definitely on everyone's mind including me. As everyone knows, it is very difficult to overtake in Monaco so I expect everyone to have a cool head when presented with opportunities. I will definitely be extra careful the first couple of turns and I'm sure everyone else will as well.
Dilly: Monaco is going to be tough, one small mistake is all it takes to ruin the race. I know Monaco pretty well so I'm confident I'm going to have a good result there. I think I''m going to set up the car so I'll have some oversteer, understeer is deadly in those tight corners.

8cMuz.png

bKl7d.png

Lucius86

Banned
OMG, legendary post. This is literally gonna be the most epic championship.

Great racing by everyone today, backmarkers moved out the way, dilly pushed me to the absolute limit all race (you bastard) - I have not had so much fun in video games for a LONG time. Roll on Monaco!!!

Animal, I give you kudos for giving credit to your team. My fuckers gave me an 8 second pit stop which almost cost me the lead when I came out! :lol

Lucius86

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Someone really needs to run FRAPS. Cause I'm 100 percent positive that's exactly how we're going to look.

I'm going to look into SOME form of recording for the next race - I may get an off screen cam capture going (using my SLR) - fraps drops the frame rate too much in Monaco.

AcridMeat

Banned
Brilliant post, brilliant answers by Animal. :lol

Really excited at how well today went and looking forward to round 2. What does everyone think of having it next Saturday?

edit: Really bummed that GHG and Staab lost connection so close to the finish, hopefully it was a one time thing and doesn't happen again. :(

Question, can we save online replays?

if not that is real shitty of codemasters for such a f1 game, I know from this thread you can't change which car is being viewed :/

AcridMeat

Banned
Diablohead said:
Question, can we save online replays?

if not that is real shitty of codemasters for such a f1 game, I know from this thread you can't change which car is being viewed :/

You cannot, all of us in the championship are very bummed about it as we were hoping to get a video of this race up. We're trying to look into ways of recording the race that doesn't involve Fraps.

Juicy Bob

:lol :lol :lol

I can only imagine the carnage! Oh well, at least everyone appears to have had a good time. Can't wait for the report back from Monaco... :lol

Animal

Banned
Awesome post Leunam! We all appreciate the effort.

On another note, I'm very impressed with how honest the SRT review of this game is. They really were completely fair, reasonable and to the point. I have much more respect for them now after watching that review. I didn't think they would stay focused on the points that matter in this game.

EDIT: I'm OK with next Saturday. I have a really good PC setup so I'm gonna run some tests this week with FRAPS to see if I can record races with minimal or no impact on my gameplay.

I will be getting a mic this week and I will be practicing on Monaco. I'm willing to coach anyone over mic while I practice if anyone is interested.

slamskank

Animal said:
Awesome post Leunam! We all appreciate the effort.

On another note, I'm very impressed with how honest the SRT review of this game is. They really were completely fair, reasonable and to the point. I have much more respect for them now after watching that review. I didn't think they would stay focused on the points that matter in this game.

EDIT: I'm OK with next Saturday. I have a really good PC setup so I'm gonna run some tests this week with FRAPS to see if I can record races with minimal or no impact on my gameplay.

I will be getting a mic this week and I will be practicing on Monaco. I'm willing to coach anyone over mic while I practice if anyone is interested.
Hey I'd be interested in some coaching on monaco for sure. Also going to tinker with fraps, my rig should be able to handle it but I'll get back on that.

Lucius86

Banned
GuessWho said:
Can I join the league? I'm already signed into the steam board. Sounds like do much fun.

I can't see why not - we had 15 people for round 1, but due to the 12 player limit in MP we held 2 qualifying sessions, with the bottom 3 knocked out. Damn the FIA for enforcing such a low limit :( Turn up in the steam chat 30 mins before the start and we will get you in!

As for Monaco, right now I am free. I will be doing a Monaco hot lap asap, so either Tuesday or Wed it will go live so hopefully this, along with Animal's tuition, will get everyone up to a really nice pace.

After some Monaco races yesterday though, I think I am going to struggle, and Salacious Crumbs is looking good. Could be damage limitation ALREADY :lol

I am free next Saturday currently, but again Sunday I can't do.

I thought the qualifying was to determine the 12 players for the whole league? It would seem a bit silly to have 16/17 different names on the leaderboard by the end of the season.

That was a really great post, Leunam. :D I did a few laps on Monaco last night and I kept hitting the wall. :lol Going to be carnage.

GHG

Gold Member
My internet went apeshit and disconnected me last night. Load of bollocks!

Not that I was anywhere other than last place at the time but it would have been nice to finish :lol .

The crash at the 3rd corner was fucking epic :lol .

Orgun

Ok i've caved, downloading this on Steam. Now I just need to find a wheel and get some practice for the next GAF GP :)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Dead Man said:
I can see I will have to start following GAFF1 and F1. :D Glad you guys are getting so much out of the game, I can't see myself getting it though.
Indeed, while I am never going to be challenging the top teams, the effort the likes of Leunam (Awesome post btw, truly a credit to team) and co are making this little championship well worth participating in.

Monaco will be..interesting. Although if my luck continues, I think I'll be pointing the wrong way more often than not! :p

Orgun said:
Ok i've caved, downloading this on Steam. Now I just need to find a wheel and get some practice for the next GAF GP :)
The more the merrier. You never know, if we get around 20 or so turn up next week, we could easily run two races so the people who don't quite qualify for the "main" race can have their fun too.

Of course we'll see how things go and how many turn up, but we'll be more than happy to see more people join the fun.

Stop It

Sorry for the double post but this is a site that no self respecting F1 2010 (PC) owner should ignore.

http://www.racedepartment.com/dlcat-f1-2010-game-89/

Basically, after less than a week of release, we have had modders start to update the cars to look more like they do now (Sponsor changes, changes to the textures etc), let alone stuff like Tyre mods so that when the tyres wear, you can actually see the tyres scuff etc.

The site requires regisration, but it is well worth it. Also, while I am at it, the forums there also have a section dedicated to set-ups for each track, a real boon for those of us who aren't quite au fait with the art of setup.

http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-setups/

Orgun

Stop It said:
The more the merrier. You never know, if we get around 20 or so turn up next week, we could easily run two races so the people who don't quite qualify for the "main" race can have their fun too.

Of course we'll see how things go and how many turn up, but we'll be more than happy to see more people join the fun.

Awesome.

1 hour 30 left on the download, I am willing with all my might for it to download faster :) Ordered one of the Logitech Driving Force GT wheels, took awhile to find a site that actually had one in stock. Super excited doesnt even begin to describe how I feel :D

1-D_FTW

I actually think Monaco is going to be a lot easier for me. There were a couple corners in Australia that I had a tendency to spin the car and end up facing the wrong direction. Monaco, I may be slow, but at least I don't spin the car out. There's a lot to be said for not losing 20 second chunks at a time.:D Think with some practice this week, I might be able to compete with the second tier.

1-D_FTW

Stop It said:
Sorry for the double post but this is a site that no self respecting F1 2010 (PC) owner should ignore.

http://www.racedepartment.com/dlcat-f1-2010-game-89/

Basically, after less than a week of release, we have had modders start to update the cars to look more like they do now (Sponsor changes, changes to the textures etc), let alone stuff like Tyre mods so that when the tyres wear, you can actually see the tyres scuff etc.

The site requires regisration, but it is well worth it. Also, while I am at it, the forums there also have a section dedicated to set-ups for each track, a real boon for those of us who aren't quite au fait with the art of setup.

http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-setups/

Thanks. It's at least a starting off point. I don't know what mojo I had earlier this morning, but it's gone. Definitely gonna have to tweak to get a good oversteer setting.

AcridMeat

Banned
I've been compiling a list of more interested gaffers in the championship, we could very well hold two races. So far there's 6 and I'm sure there are more in the steam group who would like to participate in one.

I've just been speaking with Acrid about what I want from this going forward and I'm very much of the opinion that any extra racers should go in a seperate league. I don't want to seem like I'm wanting to exclude people, so here are my reasons for this:

1. We have a nice league table at the moment and just like in real F1 it can be a battle for points every race where getting to know your opponent and their skills is just as important as learning the track. If I wasn't in some races or had different people around me it wouldn't feel like an "official" race in the GAF league.

2. My interest in the league would drop if I wasn't ever included in a race. Whether it's down to it being a track I'm not too great on or simply bad luck with traffic, if I had to sit out a race I wouldn't feel as if I was a part of the league any more and my motivation to keep my Saturday afternoon free would drop as I'd never be sure if I'd make it in to the race which is the real fun part.

3. I think that the group we have are quite close knit, in a way. We've done a lot of racing together lately and I like the social aspect of it. (Even moreso when my mic arrives :lol ) I'm not saying I wouldn't like the other people who I've yet to race with, but my personal choice would be to stick with our current gang.

So yeah. I really hope I don't offend anyone who wants to hop in with us, because I don't want to appear as a dick and I wish Codemasters had made the game with 24 players online so we wouldn't have this issue in the first place. This is just my thoughts on how I want the league to be. :)

slamskank

Yeah that seems fair. To be frank I'm not at a level suitable to roll with you guys anyways at the moment, so a 2nd tier league for the players who didn't make the cut and for new people who aren't as experienced would be cool!

Stop It

Well, I just had probably the most intense and enjoyable race, even more so than the first round of the GAF Championship.

It was in Monaco, and me, Foliorum Viridue and AcridMeat were racing an 8 lap race round the street circuit. For the first lap I led after AcridMeat span out, but 3 spins in 2 laps afterwards put me last by a long way and with seemingly little prospect of reprieve.

Usually at that point I would just give up and make mistake after mistake, finishing last by a good distance as a complete embarrassment. For some reason though, I decided to enter into "qualifying mode" and went for some hot laps on my Prime tyres (It had rained in Quali so I went for Primes because they last well and I kill Options).

I was setting around 1:23/24 per lap, and while AcridMeat and Foliorum Viridum were struggling, I still didn't think I had time to come to terms with them. That changed at around lap 5 when I found myself approaching, then passing a stricken Renault with AcridMeat most certainly a passenger at this point. I turned my attention to Foliorum Viridum and stayed on the pace.

Come lap 7 I had him in my sights, by this point I was actually a bit worried, adrenaline had come to "help" and I was shakier on the wheel as I tried to think of where I could actually pass as the track as in reality, is a complete nightmare to overtake. My answer came at the start of the final lap, as Foliorum Viridum missed the corner and tapped the wall. I passed but he was literally on my gearbox for the rest of the lap. I couldn't take the corners optimally as I was petrified of crashing or spinning out, and the spectre of Foliorum Viridum just wouldn't leave me. In the end I won by barely a second, but in reality, I was merely one corner from throwing it all away.

I thank Foliorum Viridum and AcridMeat for letting me race with them, and Foliorum Viridum in particular for one of the most hard fought and tense battles I have experienced in F1 2010 so far.

If Monaco is like that in the GAF Championship, I'd be thrilled. I don't expect to be near the leaders pace but if I can have a hearty battle to those near me, then I'd be more than happy.

Great post! You articulated so well what was amazing about that race.

After I hit the wall in the first corner I thought I was fucked, so I was lucky to recover so fast and catch up to you. I know the rest of the lap was only 50 odd seconds but it felt like 5 minutes. I almost tried to overtake you on two different corners, but I knew I wouldn't squeeze through and ultimately fuck it up for both of us.

By far my best experience with the game so far too after 20 hours. :lol

AcridMeat

Banned
Yeah that's the last time I ever use options in a 10% race. :lol

Both of my rear tires were red for 2 laps and I couldn't go around a corner without sliding, that's how terrible they had gotten. So I went into the pits and finished more on pace. I think I may just practice as much as possible on primes now and see what I can do about my strategy when the weekend comes...

Orgun

Yeah...i'm gonna need a lot of practice :D

3 drive through penalties and 2 incidents under review by the stewards but at least I didnt finish last :) That honour fell to my team mate Trulli :lol . At least I was only a few seconds off the pace.

I really can't wait for my wheel to arrive, playing with my 360pad just doesn't feel right. This is also the first game where i'm actually using manual gears, I have always gone Automatic before.

The only complaint I have so far is your engineer. My god what an annoying voice, did they base him on Smedley? And why is he telling me when Ferrari are pitting!? I'm racing HRT and Virgin, Ferrari et al. are in another world.

What settings are you guys using in your online races and the GafF1?

Stop It

Orgun said:
Yeah...i'm gonna need a lot of practice :D

3 drive through penalties and 2 incidents under review by the stewards but at least I didnt finish last :) That honour fell to my team mate Trulli :lol . At least I was only a few seconds off the pace.

I really can't wait for my wheel to arrive, playing with my 360pad just doesn't feel right. This is also the first game where i'm actually using manual gears, I have always gone Automatic before.

The only complaint I have so far is your engineer. My god what an annoying voice, did they base him on Smedley? And why is he telling me when Ferrari are pitting!? I'm racing HRT and Virgin, Ferrari et al. are in another world.

What settings are you guys using in your online races and the GafF1?
I don't think they just based him off Smedley, although I can't seem to confirm or deny that they used his aural talents.

Don't worry too much about your pace, F1 2010 is a game that rewards practice and before you know it (especially when you get that DFGT wheel), you'll be acing Trulli without breaking a sweat.

Anyway, for the GAF F1 championship we're using all assists off (I think with one exception for the Traction Control but that's it) but leaving gears open as Auto isn't actually an advantage (I use manual though as provides more immersion and once you get used to it, is faster).

The only reason we use cosmetic damage is because, well...it'll be carnage otherwise!

DarkJC

Alright, so, 4 of us in here so far have expressed interest in doing something on the PS3. Ideally we can find a few more (I'd love a full grid but I'm not sure how many PS3 version owners are out there) and maybe get something going for this coming Saturday. I'm going to add you guys to PSN today.

We need to talk about how long of a season we want to do, and what tracks, race length, etc. I haven't been paying attention to what the PC season looks like, are you PC guys doing a full season, or are you picking a smaller set of tracks?

I've never really organized something like this so if someone else wants to step up feel free. At the very least I'd like all us PSN folk to get in some races together, even if we end up not doing a full season championship.

Lucius86

Banned
There was no Codemasters at Eurogame Expo (booooooo) but I did get to speak to Tim Willits from id software about Rage (yay!!)

1-D_FTW

You guys weren't kidding about learning the track much better with the driving line off. Really beginning to dial in on Monaco. Actually thinking about the upcoming turns instead of being a zombie.

Also think the physics are finally beginning to click with my thick head. Don't gun the throttle when you're in a sharp turn. Finally sticking.

Kinda bummed I got hosed on a TT run. Had one of those irrelevant bumps that got my next lap DQed and I absolutely crushed my time by a good second. Should have been in the low 1:16s. I have no illusions of catching Dillyracer (36th? Dude!), but I'm creeping up.

P.S. Acridmeat: I usually won't turn down an invite, it was just halftime and I wanted to catch the second half of the game. Please invite me next time you get another one going. Sounded like you guys had a blast.

Juicy Bob

DarkJC said:
Alright, so, 4 of us in here so far have expressed interest in doing something on the PS3. Ideally we can find a few more (I'd love a full grid but I'm not sure how many PS3 version owners are out there) and maybe get something going for this coming Saturday. I'm going to add you guys to PSN today.

We need to talk about how long of a season we want to do, and what tracks, race length, etc. I haven't been paying attention to what the PC season looks like, are you PC guys doing a full season, or are you picking a smaller set of tracks?

I've never really organized something like this so if someone else wants to step up feel free. At the very least I'd like all us PSN folk to get in some races together, even if we end up not doing a full season championship.

It is easy enough to set up in-game, it's just organising a good time for everyone that's the problem.

Weekends are pretty good idea, although I'd suggest holding any races away from actual F1 race weekends, mainly because I want to join in and I can't give up watching the real thing! :lol I've found with other leagues that holding races the same time that the European races take place, about 1:00pm-2:00pm GMT, means that people in the Americas are racing in the morning, people in Europe are racing in the afternoon and people in Asia/Pacific are racing in the evening and it's all at a humane time for everyone.

If we make a list of PS3 players who are interested and willing to commit to a regular series, like the PC guys have, we could set something up to start pretty soonish. We'd also need to decide on race settings as well and that'd pretty much be it.

Top Bottom