• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

olimpia84

I'm down for a PS3 event but I do warn you guys that I will probably suck since I use turn/braking lines in my career mode.
I already took part in some online races against random people and I was 'lost' without them, causing unintentional mayhem. :D

mclaren777

Leunam said:
LHocq.png
Simply stunning post!

Shaneus

I was banned during the inception of this season, but probably for the best because from what I understand, the times would've been impossible to attend given I'm in Australia.

Anyone interested in organising an AusGAF1 league? I'm hopeless at being organised :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Such amazing posts guys, Stop It&Animal in particular but all of you guys (Leunam, amazing work) are making me enjoy this game more :)
Sucks I can't race with you guys (no competent connection with the PC gaming rig but I still decided to go for it in spite of the console versions -which are connected to the net, I know it's crazy-), but hey maybe for F2011.

Ok so my career objective for Melbourne was to finish 12 or above. I started 24th on the grid and finished 12th, beating my team mate by 12 places, and thanks to the first race, I'm still 12 points ahead of him. Yet my contract says "The team feel let down by your lack of performance."

Really? Will they only be happy if I score points? Can I expect this for the entire season?

lastplayed said:
Ok so my career objective for Melbourne was to finish 12 or above. I started 24th on the grid and finished 12th, beating my team mate by 12 places, and thanks to the first race, I'm still 12 points ahead of him. Yet my contract says "The team feel let down by your lack of performance."

There are race objectives and season objectives (which you'll find in your contract). It may be that they don't feel like you'll accomplish your season objective - which is probably something along the lines of ending the championship in 20th or higher.

On the other hand, you mentioned that you qualified in P24, so while you completed the race objective, you didn't match the qualifying objective. Still, harsh to call that a "let down".

AnkhWeasel said:
There are race objectives and season objectives (which you'll find in your contract). It may be that they don't feel like you'll accomplish your season objective - which is probably something along the lines of ending the championship in 20th or higher.

On the other hand, you mentioned that you qualified in P24, so while you completed the race objective, you didn't match the qualifying objective. Still, harsh to call that a "let down".

Yeah, I did miss my qualifying objective. Still, you'd think the race performance would make up for that. If it was the real Virgin team sitting there with 12 points into the third race, they'd definitely be more appreciative. :lol

Caramello

I'd definitely be interested in joining the PS3 GAF Championship although I'm an Aussie so the time could be a problem.. My PSN ID is mbesnard for anyone wanting to add me :D

lastplayed said:

Really? Will they only be happy if I score points? Can I expect this for the entire season?
Was that for Virgin? I had the same objective. But as far as I can tell what they actually say is nonsense. Just get the best positions possible in qualifying and the race. Much like the useless pit radio talk I pretty much ignore everything else.

Anyone have an issue with a graphics bug at the Malaysian GP? At the track there is a bug showing "dancing lights" (like camera flashes) and black boxes appearing right by the last corner. This is on PC, GTX480.
If I have no AA it goes away. With any type of AA it returns. So far just this track. Hopefully it (and many other things) will be patched soon.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'd love to participate in a PS3 championship, but my copy has yet to find its long way from the UK to Germany. With Zavvi you never know how long this is gonna take, so I might not have the game by Saturday.

Frawdder

What on earth do I have to say to the press to get other teams to like me? It seems no matter what I say, the other teams that have shown interest all say they didn't like the way I handled the press/disregard (something like that) and I get a red slice on the pie graph. What gives?

MGR

Frawdder said:
What on earth do I have to say to the press to get other teams to like me? It seems no matter what I say, the other teams that have shown interest all say they didn't like the way I handled the press/disregard (something like that) and I get a red slice on the pie graph. What gives?

Answer courteously and be complimentary to your current team. Who's going to hire a driver that slags off his own team?

Orgun

Sods law strikes again! :)

I was racing melbourne and doing really well (by my standards) only one drive through and I was 10 places up on where the team expected me to be with 2 laps to go....pop, rear left puncture. In hindsight I probably should have just stayed out for thos two laps but I pitted and ended up last.

I am really enjoying myself :) It feels great when you take a corner perfectly and just kiss the bumper.

Frawdder

MGR said:
Answer courteously and be complimentary to your current team. Who's going to hire a driver that slags off his own team?
That's what I've, mostly, been doing...except when I get asked whether I'm a chance for the championship - "Dude, you serious? I'm driving a Lotus!"*

I'll keep a closer eye on my answers, see if my relations improve.

*Not actual answer

Orgun

mclaren777 said:
Another lighting mod...

Lol 'Modificated' :D

Oooooh shiiiii I just got pole position at Malaysia. I was down to the last 5 minutes and stuck in 21st so I decided to throw caution to the wind and go all out. It paid off! :) /happy dance

I'm gonna have to get online at some point.

Edit: oh yeah the time I posted was 1:39.129. No idea if that's good or not as I'm only playing on amateur at the moment :)

moojito

Does anyone else have real trouble learning the circuits? I can spend ages doing lap after lap and still not be sure what the next corner looks like. It's driving me round the bend! Or rather it's not driving me round the bend, it's going off the bend and into the run off area at high speed :<

I need to put 2-4 hours in to a track to properly learn it, braking zones and all.

I'm still struggling with Monaco and I've put probably two hours in to it now.

kitch9

Banned
Slackbladder said:
Was that for Virgin? I had the same objective. But as far as I can tell what they actually say is nonsense. Just get the best positions possible in qualifying and the race. Much like the useless pit radio talk I pretty much ignore everything else.

Anyone have an issue with a graphics bug at the Malaysian GP? At the track there is a bug showing "dancing lights" (like camera flashes) and black boxes appearing right by the last corner. This is on PC, GTX480.
If I have no AA it goes away. With any type of AA it returns. So far just this track. Hopefully it (and many other things) will be patched soon.
Stop forcing dx11....

TylerD

Foliorum Viridum said:
I need to put 2-4 hours in to a track to properly learn it, braking zones and all.

I'm still struggling with Monaco and I've put probably two hours in to it now.

I was still having a tough time with the braking zones at Melbourne when we were doing qualifying. I completed 100+ laps practicing on the track with a Red Bull in time trial mode is probably why.

I don't have a lot of experience with F1 games or sims in general so I am still trying to get to terms with the amazing performance. F1 2010 is just what I wanted it to be as far as making the driving accessible, while challenging and fun.

My Monaco training will begin tonight and I will only do it in practice and qualifying sessions to replicate what our qualifying will be like.

mclaren777

The last few posts have me really confused (eg, difficulty learning new tracks). It sounds like this is the first F1 game for many of you. Is that the case?

I played the fuck out of F1 2002. That's about it, since I stopped watching F1 from then to this year because it got boring for me (damn you, Ferarri!)

I'm the same in any racing game really. Took me a while to master the tracks in Forza 3 and GT5: Prologue recently :)

Orgun

mclaren777 said:
The last few posts have me really confused (eg, difficulty learning new tracks). It sounds like this is the first F1 game for many of you. Is that the case?

It's definitely my first F1 game.

1-D_FTW

mclaren777 said:

I know a lot of the tracks. There's still a difference between playing the track x years ago, and screaming down a track and needing to relearn where to hit the brakes so you don't slam into the gravel pit or bleed off way too much speed.

It really does seem like the driving line is the worst crutch ever because it actively allows you to drive laps and not use visual clues to aid your brain in track orientation. It's doing the exact opposite of what it's trying to accomplish.

slamskank

moojito said:
Does anyone else have real trouble learning the circuits? I can spend ages doing lap after lap and still not be sure what the next corner looks like. It's driving me round the bend! Or rather it's not driving me round the bend, it's going off the bend and into the run off area at high speed :<
What I have been doing on new tracks is turn on the braking assists(car brakes for you, albeit excessively), automatic gearbox and full driving line(Don't just stare at it, look for landmarks, distance signs, etc around the track that coincide with the braking points) in time trial and just drive the track with my foot on the gas. After I think I have the basic layout of track memorized, I turn off all the assists and take a real crack at it myself. I pretty much know the track by that point and then it's just a matter of figuring out my braking points, gears for each corner and racing line. Also make use of flashback to quickly figure out how to nail a tricky corner that you keep messing up. Once you're really comfortable and can consistently make it around without crashing or invalidating laps try racing for real. This is my first F1 game too.

TylerD

mclaren777 said:

Played F1 World Grand Prix on N64 back in the day before I even knew what Formula 1 was other than Schumi. Other than the FSOne 2009 mod for GTR this is my first F1 game since becoming a big fan in 2008.

slamskank said:
What I have been doing on new tracks is turn on the braking assists(car brakes for you, albeit excessively), automatic gearbox and full driving line(Don't just stare at it, look for landmarks, distance signs, etc around the track that coincide with the braking points) in time trial and just drive the track with my foot on the gas. After I think I have the basic layout of track memorized, I turn off all the assists and take a real crack at it myself. I pretty much know the track by that point and then it's just a matter of figuring out my braking points, gears for each corner and racing line. Also make use of flashback to quickly figure out how to nail a tricky corner that you keep messing up. Once you're really comfortable and can consistently make it around without crashing or invalidating laps try racing for real. This is my first F1 game too.

wait.. what??

What's flashback?

DarkJC

Diablohead said:
Codemasters rewind method.

And to elaborate on this, in case you don't know how to activate it: you use the feature from within the "Instant Replay" mode. Simply load up Instant Replay after you've gone off, and from there you can hit Square (on the PS3 anyway) to set the point you want to flashback to.

edit: Does anyone have any tips for S2 of Catalunya? I was learning that track for a majority of the evening last night, and throughout practice and qualifying I was consistently 1-2 seconds slower in S2 than all of the NPC times. In the race I felt like I was out of my league, even when I dialed down the NPC difficulty, I was only holding my position, and never gaining on someone. I just couldn't figure out how I was losing so much speed in S2. Come to think of it, I could've been 1-2 seconds off in S3 as well, but I could never tell because the damn game never lists your S3 time.

Lucius86

Banned
DarkJC said:
And to elaborate on this, in case you don't know how to activate it: you use the feature from within the "Instant Replay" mode. Simply load up Instant Replay after you've gone off, and from there you can hit Square (on the PS3 anyway) to set the point you want to flashback to.

edit: Does anyone have any tips for S2 of Catalunya? I was learning that track for a majority of the evening last night, and throughout practice and qualifying I was consistently 1-2 seconds slower in S2 than all of the NPC times. In the race I felt like I was out of my league, even when I dialed down the NPC difficulty, I was only holding my position, and never gaining on someone. I just couldn't figure out how I was losing so much speed in S2. Come to think of it, I could've been 1-2 seconds off in S3 as well, but I could never tell because the damn game never lists your S3 time.

We were discussing this after the race on Saturday - everyone seems to be about a second or so off the times against the AI in sector 2. It's weird, because I was getting purples in sector 1 & 3 in my Lotus on legendary, but lost over 2 secs in S2. But when I raised my DF for the more twisty sections in S2, I gained barely half a second, but lost loads on the main straight so it ended up not being worth it.

MGR said:

You'd think that, but from what I've seen, and heard elsewhere, you pretty much just have to slag off your team at every opportunity to show that you're interested in moving.

I've also read that it's seems impossible to stay at a top team for two seasons, regardless of your performance.

In short, the season is just as broken as the other notable bugs. Only thing is, that likely won't be touched with a patch!

DarkJC

Lucius86 said:
We were discussing this after the race on Saturday - everyone seems to be about a second or so off the times against the AI in sector 2. It's weird, because I was getting purples in sector 1 & 3 in my Lotus on legendary, but lost over 2 secs in S2. But when I raised my DF for the more twisty sections in S2, I gained barely half a second, but lost loads on the main straight so it ended up not being worth it.

Hmm, interesting. Well, good to know it's not just me at least. I can put that behind me and focus on the next one.

Lucius86

Banned
DarkJC said:
Hmm, interesting. Well, good to know it's not just me at least. I can put that behind me and focus on the next one.

Yeah - I think it's just a track the AI are incredibly good at. I am sure us mortals can get good lap times in S2, but I haven't put enough laps in to find out exactly how....

I really enjoyed our racing tonight. :D It's great we can get 8-10 people online easily.

Monza in the wet is chaos. Especially when Acrid and I are making a game out of trying to hit each other. :lol

AcridMeat

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I really enjoyed our racing tonight. :D It's great we can get 8-10 people online easily.

Monza in the wet is chaos. Especially when Acrid and I are making a game out of trying to hit each other. :lol

When I screwed up the first lap I knew I had lost Salacious so may as well do something about the cheeky curry deliveryman, bastard. :lol

olimpia84

DarkJC said:

I had more problems in S3, the last two turns killed me every single time. I did OK in S1 and S2 and I even managed to get P6 in qualification with my Lotus (medium difficulty though).

AcridMeat

Banned
I just set a TT lap for those who were asking for one. I think I'll avoid having to set a TT lap as much as possible as that is the most infuriating mode ever devised.

slamskank

AcridMeat said:
I just set a TT lap for those who were asking for one. I think I'll avoid having to set a TT lap as much as possible as that is the most infuriating mode ever devised.
It's the best though. If you can consistently get through a TT lap on Monaco you're in good shape for saturday. I'm not there yet though :lol

AcridMeat

Banned
slamskank said:
It's the best though. If you can consistently get through a TT lap on Monaco you're in good shape for saturday. I'm not there yet though :lol

Doesn't really work the same for me as the cars feel much different, to the point where it's not even worth practicing in TT imo. I've been sticking to custom GPs with other members. I should do more GPs with the Renault against the AI as well.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
almokla said:
Hey guys, whats a good seat to fix the G25 on?

something cheap, or a cheap solution :)

Do you want a full on racing seat cockpit or just a stand for the wheel, clutch and pedals (ie you'll provide the seat)?

cockpit: playseats ($350) are all the rage but I can't pay that kind of money just to have a fucking metal arm in the middle which makes it difficult to play with a full on pedal clutch set-up.
Manu-racing cokpits are the cream of the cream but man they don't come cheap (from €700 and up to €4000)
Stand: I tried tons and the only one I can personally vouch for is the wheel stand pro.
It's fucking perfect, top notch as far as quality built goes. First time I ever have found a wheel-stand that stays.. rocksteady even when rocking out with Sega Rally/Dirt 2 on full feedback with the H shifter on. It has the same kind of problem of the playseat (metal bar in the middle to lift the wheel's metal plate) but since you don't play it in a full on racving position AND you can orientate the bar, it's no biggie once you've find a set-up that suits you. $150 shipping included anywhere in the world. There are three version, the G-27 one's the best since it is the sturdier and larger one, while don't be fooled by the X360 wheel one, since it's the only one that is not 100% steady (I think you can still find avery positive review of this version on insidesimracing.com).

slamskank

almokla said:
Hey guys, whats a good seat to fix the G25 on?

something cheap, or a cheap solution :)
I use the wheelstand pro and a poang chair from ikea personally. Nice and low, comfy for racing. It's easy to set up in front of my tv or computer desk whenever I feel like it. I wouldn't say it's a cheap solution though, with regards to the wheelstand. It seems really expensive on paper for what it is, but it's really solid and I honestly wouldn't race much if I didn't have it and still had to mount the wheel to a desk all the time, it's just so easy to set up and put away afterwards.

Seanspeed

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
It really does seem like the driving line is the worst crutch ever because it actively allows you to drive laps and not use visual clues to aid your brain in track orientation. It's doing the exact opposite of what it's trying to accomplish.
Bingo.

Driving lines should be used for casual players who aren't interested in spending the time to really get competitive. If you want to be good, turn them bitches off right away.

moojito said:

Depends what view I'm in. If I'm in cockpit view, it takes me a lot longer to fully learn the tracks. I usually go for the above the cockpit view, not only does it let me see corners in advance, it also gives me that authentic TV feel. :D

I also find it easier by memorising the sequence of gears I need to be in. That helps me get to the right speed and it's simply a matter of pointing the wheel in the right direction. It may not be the best technique, I'm certainly not anywhere near the top of the leaderboards, but it gets me around the track with clean and consistent results.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Seanspeed said:
Bingo.

Driving lines should be used for casual players who aren't interested in spending the time to really get competitive. If you want to be good, turn them bitches off right away.

Half of them aren't right either

Just played with it in shanghai, if I were to follow their braking points, my time would be around 1:42-1:44 - they were too early, too late and sometimes not even necessary

But when I use my own I get 1:36~

I'll admit they're good for starters who need help maintaining wheelspin and not spinning out with no assists... But it won't help you win - especially when you have a pack of cars in front of you, you have to be able to improvise but still maintain good pace

acm2000

DopeyFish said:
Half of them aren't right either

Just played with it in shanghai, if I were to follow their braking points, my time would be around 1:42-1:44 - they were too early, too late and sometimes not even necessary

But when I use my own I get 1:36~

I'll admit they're good for starters who need help maintaining wheelspin and not spinning out with no assists... But it won't help you win - especially when you have a pack of cars in front of you, you have to be able to improvise but still maintain good pace

thats kinda the point, if they made you win, it would be the same as an instant win button on the controller, as a general rule, brake a car length or 2 after the line says, it helps you learn where all the braking points are, points of guidance on the side of the track etc

Top Bottom