• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

acm2000

"Patch Update: The team have been working through a masterlist of issues, and are making good progress. Various issues have been through the preliminary testing process, and once the patch is complete a build will go in for siginificant testing time. "

1-D_FTW

I hope one of those mother effing updates in the DX11 patch. My game is unstable (has a 20-30 percent chance of locking while loading) with DX9 set to false, but when I keep it at the default DX9=true, it takes a long time to load and has the occasional hiccups in turns.

Unacceptable this wasn't included from the start. I didn't even get to see the screen yesterday that showed everyone put me and Acrid getting penalized for qualifying on that sadistic rain course and allowing me to go from 7th to 2nd on the grid. It took unusually long on that load. Skipped right over that screen. Only knew what happened because I heard people laughing as I stared at my loading screen.

DarkJC said:
And to elaborate on this, in case you don't know how to activate it: you use the feature from within the "Instant Replay" mode. Simply load up Instant Replay after you've gone off, and from there you can hit Square (on the PS3 anyway) to set the point you want to flashback to.

edit: Does anyone have any tips for S2 of Catalunya? I was learning that track for a majority of the evening last night, and throughout practice and qualifying I was consistently 1-2 seconds slower in S2 than all of the NPC times. In the race I felt like I was out of my league, even when I dialed down the NPC difficulty, I was only holding my position, and never gaining on someone. I just couldn't figure out how I was losing so much speed in S2. Come to think of it, I could've been 1-2 seconds off in S3 as well, but I could never tell because the damn game never lists your S3 time.

How rude of me. I missed your reply.. thanks for the explanation :D

Dash Kappei said:
Do you want a full on racing seat cockpit or just a stand for the wheel, clutch and pedals (ie you'll provide the seat)?

cockpit: playseats ($350) are all the rage but I can't pay that kind of money just to have a fucking metal arm in the middle which makes it difficult to play with a full on pedal clutch set-up.
Manu-racing cokpits are the cream of the cream but man they don't come cheap (from €700 and up to €4000)
Stand: I tried tons and the only one I can personally vouch for is the wheel stand pro.
It's fucking perfect, top notch as far as quality built goes. First time I ever have found a wheel-stand that stays.. rocksteady even when rocking out with Sega Rally/Dirt 2 on full feedback with the H shifter on. It has the same kind of problem of the playseat (metal bar in the middle to lift the wheel's metal plate) but since you don't play it in a full on racving position AND you can orientate the bar, it's no biggie once you've find a set-up that suits you. $150 shipping included anywhere in the world. There are three version, the G-27 one's the best since it is the sturdier and larger one, while don't be fooled by the X360 wheel one, since it's the only one that is not 100% steady (I think you can still find avery positive review of this version on insidesimracing.com).

slamskank said:
I use the wheelstand pro and a poang chair from ikea personally. Nice and low, comfy for racing. It's easy to set up in front of my tv or computer desk whenever I feel like it. I wouldn't say it's a cheap solution though, with regards to the wheelstand. It seems really expensive on paper for what it is, but it's really solid and I honestly wouldn't race much if I didn't have it and still had to mount the wheel to a desk all the time, it's just so easy to set up and put away afterwards.

I just checked the wheelstand pro, and I think the metal bar in the middle would be a problem for F1 :(

slamskank

almokla said:
How rude of me. I missed your reply.. thanks for the explanation :D

I just checked the wheelstand pro, and I think the metal bar in the middle would be a problem for F1 :(
You just need to set the pedals a little left of center and its fine, at least for me.

Orgun

Bloody hell this game gets tense when you're fighting for points. One race at 11 laps has worn me out I had to concentrate so much! But god damn if it doesnt feel good to have finished my best race yet!

Singapore. Started 7th and finished 8th, no penalties or drive throughs and only two spins.

Petrov was on my arse for the entire last lap, pushing me to make mistakes. I nearly lost control of the car in the last few corners but managed to keep it on track and make it to the end. GOD that was so much FUN! :lol

I really can't wait to get my wheel, turn off the braking line, ABS and traction control and really have a proper go at it!

The parcel has been sorted at our hub
Come on you bastards! Ship it already!

I'm exhausted after that. :)

Here's an odd one...

Has anyone had any instances of Java crashing mid-game and taking you back to the desktop? Its happened a few times for me, sometimes nuking the game altogether, sometimes just minimising it. Odd thing is, when it just minimises the game, when I go back to it the frame rate has improved considerably. Is this something Live-related perhaps?

1-D_FTW

What do you mean by Java? Is it running Java?

I've crashed the program a couple of times (Not talking about the loading errors I get if I run DX11). And yesterday when we were all playing, the Windows cursor was on the screen. Like it didn't know I was playing full screen. Like I expected, the program eventually crashed on the last lap of one of the races. Or maybe I'm just nuts for not noticing it before, but I thought there was no cursor in the game.

TylerD

slamskank said:
You just need to set the pedals a little left of center and its fine, at least for me.

I have a Wheel Stand Pro as well and don't have any issues with the metal bar between my legs. The only issue I had was my leg hair getting caught in the height adjustment on the bar so I took an old athletic sock and a safety pin and wrapped the sock around the bar and pinned it together.

woeds

For the PC-players: BACKUP YOUR SAVEGAMES.

Game crashed on me and corrupted my season, now I have to start all over again :/

Sent

I like a lost puppy without my racing line. I was on Monaco qualifying online (15min) without it and on the first lap smashed into a wall and was out. :lol Guess I should man up and turn it off.

AcridMeat

Banned
Sent said:
I like a lost puppy without my racing line. I was on Monaco qualifying online (15min) without it and on the first lap smashed into a wall and was out. :lol Guess I should man up and turn it off.

Do it! I did and never looked back, it has made it much easier and rewarding in terms of figuring out how to get better.

edit:

Oh crap sorry to hear about that woeds. Will need to remember to do that soon.

DarkJC

So I just turned on the PS3 to do qualifying at monaco and got hit with a corrupt save. Thanks a bunch codemasters.

Sent

AcridMeat said:
Do it! I did and never looked back, it has made it much easier and rewarding in terms of figuring out how to get better.

edit:

Oh crap sorry to hear about that woeds. Will need to remember to do that soon.

I also turned off the minimap because I started staring at that too

Az

I am looking forward to this weekend. I made myself a little project in building a cockpit. Can't wait so if any of you have helpful links with plans that would be awesome.

AcridMeat

Banned
I made an announcement in the steam group, but for those in the Championship we were planning on having Round 2 at Monaco this Saturday October 9th an hour 1/2 earlier than last time. That would be 8a.m. Pacific and 4pm for those in the UK.

Let me know if that works for you, I've got 5 confirmed so far including me. :)

Yoritomo

woeds said:

Game crashed on me and corrupted my season, now I have to start all over again :/

This happened to me. I'm waiting for the first patch now in order to keep playing. 11 races into my first season.

Caramello

I lol'd, I was in a practice session and I chose to go out sector one instead of driving out and the auto-pilot managed to lose control of the car and put me in the wall :lol :lol :lol

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Orgun said:
Sweet! My wheel has arrived. Time to take a half day and get this baby setup.
Nice. I hope you have fun with your new wheel, I'm sure you'll notice the difference immeidately.

Caramello said:
I lol'd, I was in a practice session and I chose to go out sector one instead of driving out and the auto-pilot managed to lose control of the car and put me in the wall :lol :lol :lol
The AI seemed to do that a lot to me in Australia, but I haven't seen it happen since. Strange days.

Foliorum Viridum said:
You guys up for a practice session at Monaco again tonight? Say roughly 12-18 hours from the time of this post for the Americans.

:D
I have a meeting at work until 8PM UK time, but when I get home I will be most likely in the mood to get some practice done. I'll be on Steam when I get home so feel free to buzz me.

AcridMeat said:
I made an announcement in the steam group, but for those in the Championship we were planning on having Round 2 at Monaco this Saturday October 9th an hour 1/2 earlier than last time. That would be 8a.m. Pacific and 4pm for those in the UK.

Let me know if that works for you, I've got 5 confirmed so far including me. :)
I'm guessing that includes me? I did reply directly to the post in the Steam group that it'd be good with that timing.

Orgun

IMG_0810.jpg

This is like night and day :) The only problem is my wobbly desk :)

Started to race with everything off apart from the pit lane stuff now...spending a lot of time in the gravel while I get used to it:lol

Copied the Insideracingsim F1 2010 wheel settings from their video.

1-D_FTW

I kind of just randomly changed a couple settings. Feels pretty good, but I'm always game for something better. What settings do they use?

Orgun

1-D_FTW said:
I kind of just randomly changed a couple settings. Feels pretty good, but I'm always game for something better. What settings do they use?

Their advanced settings are:

Deadzone 0%
Steering Sat: 75%
Steering Lin: 70%
Throttle Dead: 0%
Throttle Sat: 100%
Brake Dead: 0%
Brake Sat: 100%

and all the force feedback options are at 100%

1:16.900 in Monaco. My max, could never pull off a "perfect" lap. One corner always caught me out.

No idea how you guys found 3-4 seconds more. :lol

It really started to annoy me how hitting a barrier and basically coming to a stop invalidated my lap or, worse, the next lap though. I understand running wide and cutting corners, but fuck.

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
1:16.900 in Monaco. My max, could never pull off a "perfect" lap. One corner always caught me out.

No idea how you guys found 3-4 seconds more. :lol

It really started to annoy me how hitting a barrier and basically coming to a stop invalidated my lap or, worse, the next lap though. I understand running wide and cutting corners, but fuck.
Yeah, invalidated next lap, the bane of my life.

I managed a 1:15.9 in Time Trial, which is still nowhere near the insane lot, but I'm getting there. That said, I am really worried about not qualifying this weekend, there's a lot of decent players around and with the inevitable issue of blocking etc, I think I may be in trouble.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
woeds said:

I put the game in on the 360 the other day and my save was corrupted. I'm positive that I didn't turn the console off or go to the dashboard while the save icon was up. I'm careful with that stuff. Thankfully I was only on Melbourne so I didn't lose much of my season.

Stop It said:
Yeah, invalidated next lap, the bane of my life.

I managed a 1:15.9 in Time Trial, which is still nowhere near the insane lot, but I'm getting there. That said, I am really worried about not qualifying this weekend, there's a lot of decent players around and with the inevitable issue of blocking etc, I think I may be in trouble.
Edit: Read this wrong. Even if you're DQ'd in qualifying you still go through to the race, so you'll be fine. :)

Gor@n

Neo Member
Picked this up yesterday, man such a difference from Forza:lol

Anyway whats everyones tyre strategy for the whole gp? Primes for practice and leave the option for Q1,2 and 3?

I have the primes on so i can learn the track, but doing timetrail with the option tyres, there is a pretty big difference. I'm not liking the new section to the Bahrain circuit, way too tight. :lol

olimpia84

Use the setup to the right of the average one in the quick setup option from your engineer (the one that gives high speed and a bit of oversteer). I managed to get P6 with my Lotus using that setup, although it wasn't easy at all because the last two turns are too hard.

Gor@n

Neo Member
Yep thats the one i'm using too :D

I guess i just gotta keep at it, good thing there's three practice sections. :lol

1-D_FTW

Wheel definitely feels better with those settings Orgun posted. I'm able to take those 180 turns on Monaco and really bite the inside now.

Set one new TT time and had two later runs destroyed by nasty hiccups in the final turns that invalidated my time (and next lap).

Think I'm going to have to play with the gears using that link someone posted. There's a section of the track where I constantly take forever to wind up from 4th gear and I suspect I'm losing significant time there.

There are some silly things in this game.
I was in practice at Monaco and I spun. My nose was into the barrier and my arse was sticking into the road. I dared not move as cars hurtled past me but each time they did I was getting penalised for "illegal blocking"! 4 times I was penalised! :lol Must have thought I was Schumacher!
Annoyingly you can't turn the rules off. I wish you could because they don't fucking make sense sometimes!

DarkJC

Slackbladder said:
There are some silly things in this game.
I was in practice at Monaco and I spun. My nose was into the barrier and my arse was sticking into the road. I dared not move as cars hurtled past me but each time they did I was getting penalised for "illegal blocking"! 4 times I was penalised! :lol Must have thought I was Schumacher!
Annoyingly you can't turn the rules off. I wish you could because they don't fucking make sense sometimes!

Pretty sure I remember the option to change how strict the rules are under the difficulty options. And I used to get frustrated doing the exact same thing you did myself, but now I just hit start and use the "reset to track" option in those cases. It puts you back on facing the right direction and you can avoid the dumb penalties.

edit:

1-D_FTW said:
Wheel definitely feels better with those settings Orgun posted. I'm able to take those 180 turns on Monaco and really bite the inside now.

I stealthily stole those settings too, and I've found they work much better. Took a little bit for me to get used to the heavier steering when you set all the feedback to 100% but overall I'm more satisfied with the experience.

Animal

Banned
My seating arrangement is pretty much identical to Orgun and I have a computer chair on wheels. I use my slippers as stops :lol so my chair doesn't roll while I play.

These are my current steering wheels settings (I use a DFGT as well):
Deadzone 0%
Steering Sat: 100%

My new Monaco TT time is 1:12.583 which makes me tied for 24th :D

CAR SETUP IS EVERYTHING in Monaco.

AcridMeat

Banned
I've been stuck working on a uni assignment all day/night. Tomorrow will be primarily devoted to practicing on primes and testing out set ups. :D

Lucius86

Banned
Well I have been unable to do ANY practice at Monaco thanks to an indredibly hectic schedule this week. I may be able to squeeze in an hour tonight, a couple Friday and Sat morning. I am going to be SO crap :lol

Orgun

I think i'm going to have to give up on improving my time at Catalunya and just finish the race, I must have spent about 5 hours on that track yesterday trying to improve my time and I still couldn't get it under 1:21. :(

1-D_FTW

I think I've been making a pretty big mistake (game wise). First time I ever went driving (real life, learner's permit), it was on a car with a manual transmission. Obviously the left foot resides on the clutch.

The next time I went driving it was in an instructor's car with an automatic transmission. First thing I did: right foot on gas, left foot on brake. No clutch, left foot can use the brake. Before we pulled out, the instructor informs me that's not the proper technique. Right foot controls gas and brake. Instructor didn't want me being a dumbass who rides the brake while driving. There you go. I've never used my left foot for braking... ever.

Aside from having the pedals slam up into the air and make an awful noise, this has to be costing me valuable time. And now I know why you can customize the pedals so your right foot can rest on the gas and brake (left foot gets clutch). You don't waste precious time idling as your foot rotates back and worth. You can also control the pedals and not have them slam up with a LOUD thud.

I think this explains why I'm losing so much time on the second half of Monaco. That's when there's a lot of heavy braking.

Massa

1-D_FTW said:
I think I've been making a pretty big mistake (game wise). First time I ever went driving (real life, learner's permit), it was on a car with a manual transmission. Obviously the left foot resides on the clutch.

The next time I went driving it was in an instructor's car with an automatic transmission. First thing I did: right foot on gas, left foot on brake. No clutch, left foot can use the brake. Before we pulled out, the instructor informs me that's not the proper technique. Right foot controls gas and brake. Instructor didn't want me being a dumbass who rides the brake while driving. There you go. I've never used my left foot for braking... ever.

Aside from having the pedals slam up into the air and make an awful noise, this has to be costing me valuable time. And now I know why you can customize the pedals so your right foot can rest on the gas and brake (left foot gets clutch). You don't waste precious time idling as your foot rotates back and worth. You can also control the pedals and not have them slam up with a LOUD thud.

I think this explains why I'm losing so much time on the second half of Monaco. That's when there's a lot of heavy braking.

FYI Barrichello is one the few F1 drivers (only one?) that uses the right foot for breaking.

GuessWho

I have always driven with my right foot only, but for racing games i use both L + R. It has nothing to do with how you drive irl.

Stop It

Animal said:
My seating arrangement is pretty much identical to Orgun and I have a computer chair on wheels. I use my slippers as stops :lol so my chair doesn't roll while I play.

These are my current steering wheels settings (I use a DFGT as well):
Deadzone 0%
Steering Sat: 100%

My new Monaco TT time is 1:12.583 which makes me tied for 24th :D

CAR SETUP IS EVERYTHING in Monaco.
And yet you didn't post it for fairness :p

After all, you're stupidly fast already, so telling the rest of GAF your setup isn't going to make much of a difference.

I personally use a setup from the race department forums, but I'd be interested to see what propels you to uber-speed!

Lucius86 said:
Well I have been unable to do ANY practice at Monaco thanks to an indredibly hectic schedule this week. I may be able to squeeze in an hour tonight, a couple Friday and Sat morning. I am going to be SO crap :lol
Such bad lies, you'll be up there this weekend and you know it!

HeliosT10

Just been checking through the thread and the GAF championship looks like it's going to be a real success, awesome work to all involved! I'm sure we'll be able to sort out a prize for the winner once it is over :)

With regards the patch, i'm sure some of you are already aware of this thread on our official F1 2010 forums but this is where all updates pertaining to its current status will be posted. If I have time I'll also try and pop in here to post the update direct to the neogaf community.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/432050-f1-2010-patch-news.html

Top Bottom