• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

AcridMeat

Banned
I meant to practice, but I ended up playing hours of Starcraft 2 instead. I am so scared, now I need to go to bed as it's in 8 hours. :lol

Gonna set up my mic and get a few practice laps in on Monaco now. Been a bit of a busy week so I expect to qualify near the back of the pack.

Should be great fun though! And now with the delayed qualifying I don't have to worry about one of you gits spoiling it for me. :lol

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
Gonna set up my mic and get a few practice laps in on Monaco now. Been a bit of a busy week so I expect to qualify near the back of the pack.

Should be great fun though! And now with the delayed qualifying I don't have to worry about one of you gits spoiling it for me. :lol
Well, it'll be nice to hear you. Not having a mic sucks, especially when everyone else around you is frantically blaming David Coulthard!

Anyway, going to get some final practice in before this afternoon. I hope that unlike in reality (I woke up for Suzuka, only to watch as it rained, and rained, and rained...), the qualifying isn't a wash out!

My mic is sounding really clear :) Glad I bought this one.

I just checked TT times and jesus you guys have got even faster. :lol I'm going for you Stop It since you're just a second ahead. ;)

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
My mic is sounding really clear :) Glad I bought this one.

I just checked TT times and jesus you guys have got even faster. :lol I'm going for you Stop It since you're just a second ahead. ;)
Oh crap.

*runs*

Orgun

I've been practicing Monaco on the off chance I can get into the Shucmacher GP. While my time and knowledg of the track have only improved a little, the speed with which I can press 'Start - Restart - Yes' has improved tremendously :) Been chasing Lucius86's ghost.

Lucius86

Banned
I cannot stress how much different the Time Trial is to a normal GP. TT is all fun and games, but in Q and R the track is more green so less grip, you have older tyres, brake & tyre temps fluctuate...I really would not hammer TT today. Get into GP mode!!

Stop It said:
Oh crap.

*runs*
Mate, I don't like to brag, but I fucking DEMOLISHED your time.

untitled-1boah.jpg

:lol

Gonna take a break til the qualifying now. I have humilated Stop It, so I am happy.

1-D_FTW

What? It's been delayed? Till when? I might not be able to play if it's not early or late enough.

SECOND EDIT: Nevermind. If it's 12PM EST, that's good for me. Added 4 hours from GMT instead of subtracting, but it's still a good time.:lol

Orgun said:
I've been practicing Monaco on the off chance I can get into the Shucmacher GP. While my time and knowledg of the track have only improved a little, the speed with which I can press 'Start - Restart - Yes' has improved tremendously :) Been chasing Lucius86's ghost.

:lol Yes. I've got it down to a rhythmic art. Dat-dat-dat-dat.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Mate, I don't like to brag, but I fucking DEMOLISHED your time.

untitled-1boah.jpg

:lol

Gonna take a break til the qualifying now. I have humilated Stop It, so I am happy.

SalaciousCrumbs just had to go and just edge me out, huh?:lol Now I regret having the mind fart on that one lap I detailed above.

1-D_FTW

On the off chance anyone caught my awful time conversion, I've edited the post. Added 4 hours to GMT instead of subtracting. Doh. Not 8 PM EST, but 12 noon.

Orgun

Even though I was racing poorly I very much enjoyed that race until my pedals stopped responding :(

Hopefully I can be there as a reserve driver for the next race.

markao

slamskank said:
Could you share your settings and how you did it? Are the values specific to each car?

Edit - Race preview from Webber - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL6aQp3e7ys&feature=related
First, I think the cam files are specific for each car, but I only had one day with the game, CIV5 release ;) , so not 100% sure. And second, my altered settings are at bottom of the post.

Here you can find an explanation, with example pics, on how to alter your settings (taken from a guy named Chad Smith2", on noGrip), can you access it as non forum member?

NoGrip - Alter FOV

In that link, you will find an explanation for the FOV change, but in that same camera file you can also move the cam (Forward/back/up/down), look for the following line " <Parameter name="position" " and change the "Y & Z" value to your liking. I think you can alter files while the game is running (in garage/pitbox menu), so try that out, saves restarting the game whole the time.

My values in that LOTUS pic.:

- <Parameter name="fov" type="scalar" value="54.2200" />
- <Parameter name="position" type="vector3" x="0.0000" y="0.6908" z="-0.0520" />

Helpful sites, info:

NoGrip F1 2010 section

RaceDepartment F1 2010 section (need to register)

Questions left, let me know ;)

1-D_FTW

Foliorum Viridum said:

I thought there were more people saying there was a delay. I read that and PMed him on Steam. Said there was a delay and it was at 12GMT. I asked if GMT=London and he said yes. Sorry guys. London is +1. But I'm not completely to blame. I did have some help:)

At least we had a flawless, drama free race though. Right? I never would have guessed Monaco would be so smooth.

AcridMeat

Banned
Dilly said:
Too bad I couldn't make it.

Missed ya dilly! Orgun raced for your Ferrari. Hopefully you can make the next race.

Speaking of next race, our third round of the GAF Championship is Montreal.

Orgun

AcridMeat said:
Missed ya dilly! Orgun raced for your Ferrari. Hopefully you can make the next race.

Speaking of next race, our third round of the GAF Championship is Montreal.

Well, you say raced. I just put it into the wall most of the time :) Good thing damage was cosmetic only, I might have gone through 10 or more wings :lol

slamskank

HokieJoe said:
How did Codies do with this game? Does it stack up well against FM3/GT5/Race Pro?
Don't think of it as a sim, you won't be pleased if you're expecting the same handling as iracing/rfactor. But I'd say it's pretty in line with GT5/FM3 handling (good sim/arcade mix). With no assists it's still a decent challenge, the game is gorgeous and presentation gets an A+. There are quite a few bugs however, notably with the pits and flags, but nothing that will ruin the experience imo.

I personally love codemasters' racing titles, Grid and Dirt2 were great and so is this. In terms of arcadey driving models I prefer games like project gotham and rallisport challenge, but it's close enough to my tastes. Anyways, if you enjoyed other codies games and can stand losing places due to bugs chances are you'll like this. Right now I've chosen to forego the career in favour of time trials and online races with the GAF crew.

HokieJoe

slamskank said:
Don't think of it as a sim, you won't be pleased if you're expecting the same handling as those titles. With no assists it's still a decent challenge, the game is gorgeous and presentation gets an A+. There are quite a few bugs however, notably with the pits and flags, but nothing that will ruin the experience imo.

I personally love codemasters' racing titles, Grid and Dirt2 were great and so is this. In terms of arcadey driving models I prefer games like project gotham and rallisport challenge, but it's close enough to my tastes. Anyways, if you enjoyed other codies games and can stand losing places due to bugs chances are you'll like this. Right now I've chosen to forego the career in favour of time trials and online races with the GAF crew.

Thanks for the reply. I was expecting a sim, so that's a let down. Grid was okay, but like you, I prefer PGR for arcade-ish racers. Maybe they'll release a demo that I can download sometime.

slamskank

HokieJoe said:
Thanks for the reply. I was expecting a sim, so that's a let down. Grid was okay, but like you, I prefer PGR for arcade-ish racers. Maybe they'll release a demo that I can download sometime.
Cool. I read your post too fast, had to edit my reply. It's not a hardcore sim, but I'd put it in the same camp as gt/fm, or close to.

AcridMeat

Banned
Orgun said:
Well, you say raced. I just put it into the wall most of the time :) Good thing damage was cosmetic only, I might have gone through 10 or more wings :lol

Putting the Ferrari name to good use. :lol

I really enjoyed this race too. :) Monaco was always going to be a tough race but I think generally it went well. Acrid and I had a pretty damn funny moment that caused some... unfortunate luck for him, shall we say. :lol

Montreal is going to be fun. I can't wait to get in to time trials and see how fast I can go. Hopefully I'll be closer to the fastest guys next weekend since it's a track that suits my driving style more, very much like Melbourne did.

slamskank

spicy cho/ xMetninjax here.

I think Monaco is a great track, one of my favourites, but should have come later on in the championship due to its demanding nature and low tolerance for noob driving. Can understand wanting to stick to a calendar though and I'm glad we got through it.

Great race overall guys. Also, want to apologize to Leunam, I spun you out once or twice when I tried to overtake when we had a battle going in the first half and I feel quite bad about it.

Lucius86

Banned
slamskank said:
spicy cho/ xMetninjax here.

I think Monaco is a great track, one of my favourites, but should have come later on in the championship due to its demanding nature and low tolerance for noob driving. Can understand wanting to stick to a calendar though and I'm glad we got through it.

Great race overall guys. Also, want to apologize to Leunam, I spun you out once or twice when I tried to overtake when we had a battle going in the first half and I feel quite bad about it.

It was always going to be difficult two races in - but yes, its over and done with at least.

Stop It

Lucius86 said:
It was always going to be difficult two races in - but yes, its over and done with at least.
Indeed, but I still can't help feel exceptionally guilty about my actions today, I have been a complete prat and pretty much spoiled the fun :(

While you already know this Lucius86 :)p), I feel compelled to explain myself properly to the rest of the GAF Championship.

These first 2 races have been exceptionally hard for me, I have been nowhere near the standards I expect myself to race at, and it has caused me to lose focus and in the case of Monaco, make stupid errors that led to me being DQ'ed. I don't care about how fast I am, because I know that most people here are going to be stupidly quick and I cannot compete, but when I make mistake after mistake, and cause problems for others, I honestly take issue with myself for it.

Practising with Lucius has shown me that now only should I stop trying to play F1 2010 like Forza (Same wheel, and it was the last racer I hit hard, so bad habits crept in), but also that I really was breaking nearly every cardinal rule of racing. Looking at things in ther cold light of day revealed that I really need to look at how I approach the game, stop honing the same mistakes into an art form and actually start to drive how I should, rather than the "easy" way.

I don't expect miracles at Canada (the next race), but if I can actually drive my VR-01 properly, and get rid of the errors that currently plague my racing, I'll be happy. Again though, sorry to everyone for flying off the handle, I was so angry at myself, and that just transferred to the wrong people.

As I said, I feel I shouldn't be taking further part in this championship, but I'll humbly tag along if I am truly still welcome within the fold.

Just finished the Shanghai GP. What a fucking son of a bitch of a circuit. I qualified 13th, so that was pretty good, I was up in the top 5 in the race when I spun out in the second corner, that motherfucker always gets me. It happened again a couple of laps later so I finished 14th.

I hate that corner, it's fucking annoying. Now it's time for Catalunya, which I love. It can be a really quick circuit when you master the corners. Especially the first and the last two corners are a bitch to get right but when you do it's amazingly exhilirating to get them right.

Deadman

Has anyone else found that driving the tracks has changed their opinions on them compared to when you watch f1 on television? I thought yas marina was just another tilke abomination in the desert but i actually like it in game. In particular the sweeping right hander at the start of the lap and then the last section is quite nice too.

Singapore is still terrible though, nothing can save that.

AcridMeat

Banned
Stop It said:
tl;dr I'm was an arse. Hi.

Ya bum, no one thinks you shouldn't be racing with us and we all want you to continue racing with us. We all need our Virgin. :D

@Deadman I feel the same way about Abu Dhabi, it can definitely be enjoyable. I think it was one of the first online races I did with TylerD when the game came out.

Stop It

AcridMeat said:
Ya bum, no one thinks you shouldn't be racing with us and we all want you to continue racing with us. We all need our Virgin. :D

@Deadman I feel the same way about Abu Dhabi, it can definitely be enjoyable. I think it was one of the first online races I did with TylerD when the game came out.
"tl;dr I'm was an arse. Hi."

Are you implying that my grammar sucks? Clearly you agree with one of the mods (I still remember my first tag, grr!) :p

Anyway, seriously, thanks for being so positive in the face of such negativity, I feel so bad for today, I acted like a complete idiot.

Anyway, onwards!

1-D_FTW

I'm guessing Montreal is going to need some good tweaks to hang with the big boys. I've incrementally pushed the engineer slider all the way to the right and I'm not sure it doesn't handle better that way (and that's ignoring the increase in top speeds). There's one corner in particular that I've taken better (with the couple laps I've run). I call it the sand trap turn. But the understeer seems to really help me on it.

Stop It said:
Indeed, but I still can't help feel exceptionally guilty about my actions today, I have been a complete prat and pretty much spoiled the fun :(

While you already know this Lucius86 :)p), I feel compelled to explain myself properly to the rest of the GAF Championship.

These first 2 races have been exceptionally hard for me, I have been nowhere near the standards I expect myself to race at, and it has caused me to lose focus and in the case of Monaco, make stupid errors that led to me being DQ'ed. I don't care about how fast I am, because I know that most people here are going to be stupidly quick and I cannot compete, but when I make mistake after mistake, and cause problems for others, I honestly take issue with myself for it.

Practising with Lucius has shown me that now only should I stop trying to play F1 2010 like Forza (Same wheel, and it was the last racer I hit hard, so bad habits crept in), but also that I really was breaking nearly every cardinal rule of racing. Looking at things in ther cold light of day revealed that I really need to look at how I approach the game, stop honing the same mistakes into an art form and actually start to drive how I should, rather than the "easy" way.

I don't expect miracles at Canada (the next race), but if I can actually drive my VR-01 properly, and get rid of the errors that currently plague my racing, I'll be happy. Again though, sorry to everyone for flying off the handle, I was so angry at myself, and that just transferred to the wrong people.

As I said, I feel I shouldn't be taking further part in this championship, but I'll humbly tag along if I am truly still welcome within the fold.
Mate, if you improve your pace I'll be left racing the people lapping me. :lol

1-D_FTW

Good god I suck at the wall of champions. For the life of me I can't find the sweet spot. If I brake at about 125 meters my car seems to stop on a dime and I slow down way to early and bleed tons of time. If I stop at 100 meters, the car never seems to slow for me and I nail the wall. I guess something like 110 would be good, but I've only hit this sweet spot once or twice (and never when I needed it for a TT lap).

AcridMeat

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Good god I suck at the wall of champions. For the life of me I can't find the sweet spot. If I brake at about 125 meters my car seems to stop on a dime and I slow down way to early and bleed tons of time. If I stop at 100 meters, the car never seems to slow for me and I nail the wall. I guess something like 110 would be good, but I've only hit this sweet spot once or twice (and never when I needed it for a TT lap).

I will try getting a ghost up today. It's a fine line between being able to hit full throttle through the second half and going wide and scraping/hitting the wall.

Stop It

AcridMeat said:
I will try getting a ghost up today. It's a fine line between being able to hit full throttle through the second half and going wide and scraping/hitting the wall.
Yey! I look forward to seeing it.

I absolutely suck at that corner, and most of the rest at the Montreal circuit, so I fully expect to get decimated next weekend.

I just put half an hour in to Canada and got a 1:12.8, which so far is the fastest on my friend list.

Not lightening fast, but a decent time considering I was learning the braking zones for the first time! :D I hope to be my most competitive in the next race. I like the track a lot.

AcridMeat

Banned
Right, I set one that should be a good starting point. Definitely not as quick as it could be as I'm not used to the TT car at Montreal, the braking zones can be later than I used.

AcridMeat said:
I'm not making the mistake of spending hours on TT in preparation again.
Now that posts looks real assholeish, you asshole.

TT is the way I learn tracks best. If I do GPs on a track I concentrate more on overtaking than learning it. :lol

Top Bottom