• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

AcridMeat

Banned
slamskank said:
Very nice time Animal.

I'd like a 2nd championship because I was just filling a spot left open by Dilly and GHG this past saturday and want to be able to do it every week!

Anyone interested should PM me and I'll make up a list.

Talk with Orgun, I gave him the list I had of people so far. There should be 6-7 already, maybe try to get more people who are in the steam group as well.

I'm okay with it going back to 5pm this weekend. :)

Gonna get some good practice time in at Montreal today. Time to shave a bit of time off my TT record now the big boys have set their times. :lol

Orgun

I've PM'd the people on AcridMeat's list for a 2nd Champ. So far i've had responses from felipepl, slamskank and GuessWho.

felipepl, slamskank are ok with Saturday, 10pm Pacific/5pm GMT, Montreal.
GuessWho would like to know if we can hold it a bit earlier, got to be at work for 1pm EST.

Still, that's only 4 who have responded so far, we need more duders :)#

Frawdder

I'd be interested in a second championship, but the current time is at about 2-3am for me. I'd vote for having it a drastically different time but I feel I might be outnumbered.

Orgun

Just upgraded my computer with an 80Gb SSD, Core i5,new motherboard and DDR3 ram. Man this runs like a dream off the SSD - super slick.

slamskank

Orgun said:
I've PM'd the people on AcridMeat's list for a 2nd Champ. So far i've had responses from felipepl, slamskank and GuessWho.

GuessWho would like to know if we can hold it a bit earlier, got to be at work for 1pm EST.

Personally I stay up late and sleep in most days, so the afternoon/evening would be better for me. But whatever suits most people is fine.

1-D_FTW

Orgun said:

You time conversion is wrong. 10PM Pacific = 1 AM Eastern = 5 AM GMT

Or it's reversed. 5 PM GMT = 1 PM Eastern = 10 AM Pacific

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Orgun said:
Just upgraded my computer with an 80Gb SSD, Core i5,new motherboard and DDR3 ram. Man this runs like a dream off the SSD - super slick.
Nice, glad to see you're enjoying the game

I hope the guys for the Schumacher Championship can get organised for this weekend, and that the few people who were missing this weekend from the Senna Championship manage to come along too.

Looking at the leaderboards confirms that this will be a very, very closely fought race from the front to back, possibly the closest we'll see in all honesty.

Peterthumpa

slamskank said:
Personally I stay up late and sleep in most days, so the afternoon/evening would be better for me. But whatever suits most people is fine.
Maybe Sunday morning could be a good idea too? Well, actually, morning for you guys, :lol
But I don't care, I'm up to the task whenever you decide :D

AcridMeat

Banned
Stop It said:
Nice, glad to see you're enjoying the game

I hope the guys for the Schumacher Championship can get organised for this weekend, and that the few people who were missing this weekend from the Senna Championship manage to come along too.

Looking at the leaderboards confirms that this will be a very, very closely fought race from the front to back, possibly the closest we'll see in all honesty.

I think that's just indicative of Montreal as a circuit. People have great pace in TT definitely, but it still comes down to race pace and consistency (and incidents).

Stop It

AcridMeat said:
I think that's just indicative of Montreal as a circuit. People have great pace in TT definitely, but it still comes down to race pace and consistency (and incidents).
Yep, it'll all come down to who can hold the pace, and onto the teack the best this weekend. Pace will be important though.

On that note, I look forward to Thursday and Friday (My designated race distance practice days) as at the moment, Time Trail is...frustrating! I watched Lucius86's ghost and realised I was losing a heck of a lot of time at the final hairpin and the wall of champions. While I am as fast, or faster through the rest of the lap, I lost nearly a second in Sector 3!

So, I set about trying to correct it, and failed miserably. While I can, in isolation, crack each corner, putting it all together is proving hard. An invalidated (grr!) 1:11.5 aside, I managed a 1:11.8, which puts me close enough to the lead lot be really really annoyed at myself.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow, but for now, I'll have to be happy with a 1/2 second improvement over yesterday.

tHoMNZ

Stop It said:
Yeah, I think I wont be able to improve much on my time, which is worrying because I bet you lot can, but for now, without the really fast lot like Animal and Lucius, we look pretty quick :p

If this sort of grouping is repeated come Saturday, fireworks will be assured.

are all of you guys using wheels?

Shaneus

So, what exactly are people doing to improve the framerate on this? I know about what regular settings to adjust in most games to get better performance (AA etc.) but I have no idea regarding this beast. FWIW I have an ATI card (5830).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Shaneus said:
So, what exactly are people doing to improve the framerate on this? I know about what regular settings to adjust in most games to get better performance (AA etc.) but I have no idea regarding this beast. FWIW I have an ATI card (5830).

Reflections (high), people (medium), blur (no), distant cars (high), trees (high), pilots (hihg). 1080p 2xMSAA, V-synch (no) everything else is at its highest possible setting. Triple Buffering and V-synch I have them On through D3DOverrider.
With a Radeon HD5850 1Gb I get 60fps almost locked. I say almost since I can go on Singapore with the full grid, raining and get it smooth as a butter, same in Monaco... then BAM! you go do a TT in shitty Barhein, sunny and only against the ghost car, and yet no matter what I get framerate drops here and there in some turns.
What a shitty engine.
And why the fuck the AI looks like seeing a Polistil toys track in action, with cars on rails and almost fluctuating? This is the reason I'm loving the TT the most.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Orgun, I almost forgot to report back, your wheel settings for my G27 were fucking spot-on! It's another game now, thanks mate!
Of course as with any Codemaster game you need to set things straight under Global Device in the Logitech profiler, since the game won't detect the specific game profile.
I find the game works best (together with your settings) putting in 272° of wheel rotation.

tHoMNZ said:
i'm getting a g27 OMG so excited :D

Awesome, have fun :)
And go back a couple of pages to get the settings Orgun posted to me. then add the correct rotation (find one that suits you between 210° and 340°, for me it was 272°).

Orgun

1-D_FTW said:
Or it's reversed. 5 PM GMT = 1 PM Eastern = 10 AM Pacific

Ah yeah that's what I meant, typo :) It doesn't look like we have enough interest at the moment for a second league, unless we get a bunch people interested in the next couple of days.

Dash Kappei said:
Orgun, I almost forgot to report back, your wheel settings for my G27 were fucking spot-on! It's another game now, thanks mate!
Of course as with any Codemaster game you need to set things straight under Global Device in the Logitech profiler, since the game won't detect the specific game profile.
I find the game works best (together with your settings) putting in 272° of wheel rotation.

Originally Posted by tHoMNZ:
i'm getting a g27 OMG so excited

Awesome, have fun :)
And go back a couple of pages to get the settings Orgun posted to me. then add the correct rotation (find one that suits you between 210° and 340°, for me it was 272°).

Awesome, glad to hear it! I haven't bothered with any of the Logitech profiler settings, what does editing wheel rotation do exactly?

Stop It

tHoMNZ said:
are all of you guys using wheels?
Most of us are using wheels but some are using gamepads. I am going to be upgrading from a Xbox 360 wheel to a Logitech Driving Force GT this week, so that should help.
tHoMNZ said:
1:12.622 Montreal on keyboard :p
For a Keyboard that is insane, good work.

tHoMNZ

Cheers dude, i'll be looking forward to some racing with you lads, i don't know whats got into me, i'm a massive racing fan all of a sudden (again). It's like i'm 10 years old again and i just bought indy car racing 2 :D

You can have a fun league with 6 people, I think. Obviously you want more but half a grid is enough to have some fun times. :)

You lads up for some Montreal and maybe a few other tracks this evening? :D

1-D_FTW

Foliorum Viridum said:

Heck yeah. I refuse to put in another 10 hours doing TT, but I'd love to be able to follow you guys in a race. I think it'd be much more instructional than the demented cycle I got myself into last week.

Foliorum Viridum said:
You can have a fun league with 6 people, I think. Obviously you want more but half a grid is enough to have some fun times. :)

I'm mildly tempted to join, but I'm not sure I could take two championship races back to back. My driving gets erratic enough towards the end of the first one.:lol

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:

Oh yes, most certainly.

Also, 6 people on a track is awesome, any more and it becomes scary!

Jinjo

Lucius86 said:
Righty, hot lap video uploading as we speak :D

Lucius, you are awesome. I will use your video's to beat the crap out of my friends. Just got this game a few days ago and I am already outperforming most of them with use of some nice set-ups, but there's 2 guys who are consistently faster than me. Hopefully I can close that gap very soon.:D

Lucius86

Banned
Orgun said:
You guys have any setup tips for Silverstone? That track is killing me, can't get the braking zones right at all.

Not done a proper session on it yet - just a few quick laps with Stop It. I would guess a low DF setup, but I guess you already knew that...

As I said on Steam, great video. :D

Sorry about my connection lads, don't know what the hell was going on there. Lag around every corner and I pretty much gave Stop It a heart attack when he saw me lagging before the hairpin. :lol

Hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow, and if not I'll desperately search for a solution before Saturday! Do not want a problem like this ruining the game for me.

Orgun

Lucius86 said:
Not done a proper session on it yet - just a few quick laps with Stop It. I would guess a low DF setup, but I guess you already knew that...

Yeah, that's what i've been going with. I'll just blame it on the fact that i'm driving a Lotus (Career mode) :D

edit: Oh and excellent video!

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
As I said on Steam, great video. :D

Sorry about my connection lads, don't know what the hell was going on there. Lag around every corner and I pretty much gave Stop It a heart attack when he saw me lagging before the hairpin. :lol

Hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow, and if not I'll desperately search for a solution before Saturday! Do not want a problem like this ruining the game for me.
Don't worry about it, chances are it's a one day only blip (your connection has been great so far) and you'll be fine for Saturday.

Today proved one thing though, consistency, and concentration is going to be key this weekend. I know I have the pace to compete, but I need to stop worrying about everyone else and get on with my racing. I hope I can remind myself of that come Saturday.

Lucius86 said:
Here we go at last - Montreal hot lap!!

Set in a P3 session with 15 laps of fuel on Options. I managed to get a much faster time (1.13.8xx) but I wasn't recording at the time, and it's the lines that are important.
Awesome as always. Codemasters should be employing you for this sort of thing!
:lol At the end. Petrov, always in the way.

1-D_FTW

Lucius86 said:
Here we go at last - Montreal hot lap!!

Set in a P3 session with 15 laps of fuel on Options. I managed to get a much faster time (1.13.8xx) but I wasn't recording at the time, and it's the lines that are important.

Excellent video. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who paused and took notes on all the settings.

EDIT: Definitely like those settings. Also refined my technique a little because of the video. I was running very consistent laps with that. The number of times I should have been in the 1:11s was comical. But I think I can drive pretty consistently now and should be somewhat competitive.

Stop It said:
Codemasters should be employing you for this sort of thing!
:lol At the end. Petrov, always in the way.

Yes! How is this not standard practice? Publish these type of videos on Youtube racing developers. One for every track.

AcridMeat

Banned
I finally got the patience to try to continue my career, which has been left on Monaco since a week or so before our Monaco race. I got pole position, do my racing all nice and tidy like, keep first, Vettel is on my ass somehow despite everyone else being well behind.

So I go in for my pit stop at lap 6 to make sure I don't get the pit bug, everythings dandy, actually get a quick stop out of the team, I get out "there's some tra-*BOOM*" Fucking car crashes into me the moment I exit the pits and I get a penalty. Of no fault of my own, literally the instant I start to emerge out, while in the lines they ram me and I get a penalty.

Fuck career mode.

Leunam

KD8FB.png

K5113.png

HoBsR.png

rL1je.png
rAeHp.png
BIlb7.png

vG9KR.png
EJ0nu.png

PG1D0.png
fTvGe.png

rBRvP.png

WYY3l.png

EIcfF.png

BTYsl.png

gvmV4.png
qAyex.png

D39Td.png
qAyex.png

fMyAi.png
qAyex.png

qJx49.png
qAyex.png

NT18E.png
qAyex.png

671pB.png

3478bbn.jpg

Leunam: OK, pole, most laps led, probably the fastest lap, and of course the win: What is going through the mind of Lucius86 right now?
Lucius86: Right now, I am a bit shocked I did so well at Monaco - I didn't expect to be at the top of the pile, but I had a great qualifying session that allowed me to miss the troubles in the first few corners. The team did a fantastic job once again with giving me a car that was so much fun to drive.
Leunam: How did you manage to pull away so quickly this time? You didn't have a great start in Melbourne...
Lucius86: We found out what went wrong with the start last week - the clutch proved a sticking point so we have done a bit of work on it to make sure we had a cleaner get away for this race - thankfully the work paid off.
Leunam: Being in pole, and lapping everyone at least once, you must have seen your share of incidents. How did you manage to avoid almost every parked car?
Lucius86: Luck. A healthy dose of it. The stewards appeared to make some very odd decisions today, but thankfully none for me today.
Leunam: The season continues in Montreal. It's quite the opposite of Monaco, are you expecting a similar result there?
Lucius86: I didn't at Monaco, but I managed to get a win! I think we just need to take each race a step at a time, and hopefully the team can continue their good work to Canada. We shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves here, as it's only two races gone - I am sure everyone is keen to up their game for Montreal.

lTOoR.png

Leunam: Went up from third in qualies to second in the race, how are you feeling right now?
Salacious Crumb: Pretty great, especially after the shocking first corner where I was shunted into the armco and knocked back to 12th, to come back and finish 2nd is an amazing feeling, and to do so in such tricky conditions is especially satisfying.
Leunam: Obviously there were a lot of incidents on the track, where there any that you were involved in that really set you back later? Or were there incidents that you were able to capitalize on?
Salacious Crumb: Fortunately I was able to stay out of most of the trouble on track and in doing so was able to grab a few critical places early on, I think I’d gained 3 or 4 places by the end of the first lap. In a way the first corner incident was a blessing for me, It meant I had enough time to assess and maneuver my way through some pretty nasty accidents.
Leunam: Any insight into your setup for the race in Montreal?
Salacious Crumb: As it’s a bit of a point and squirt track I definitely won’t be running with much downforce, but I haven’t had much time on the circuit yet so I can’t give you any specifics. Needless to say the team and I will be hard at work over the next few days to make sure the car is as good as it can be for the race weekend.

15yyoh5.gif

Leunam: So second on the grid and third on the podium, you're off to a good start this season. Any initial thoughts on how the race went?
Animal: It is a good start but we can do much better. The race was quite hectic and I made several mistakes which cost us a lot of time. Also I had contact with a couple of cars on the first laps and lost my front wing. When I came back out I was all alone on the track and I just focused on putting good steady laps. I eventually past most of the field and got to 3rd.
Leunam: Passed as in, made your way around cars that spun out?
Animal: A couple yes but I was putting in some fast times all alone on the track and I ended passing most of them when they pitted.
Leunam: Do you have any insight into your setup for the race in Montreal?
Animal: Well Montreal is a track with very long straights so I expect us to be running a setup which maximizes straight line speed
Leunam: You've clearly done well enough to qualify and finish at the top, what do you think you can do to put you at the top of the podium?
Animal: I believe I need to make less mistakes and not get into contact with other cars in the first laps.

jamaniek

tHoMNZ said:
i'm getting a g27 OMG so excited :D

been playing with keyboard lol
I don't wonna be a spoilsport but I was quite dissapointed about how this game works with a racing wheel. I mean it's a LOT better with a wheel but I was expecting more. The only way to feel the car behavior at all is setting FF options at 100%.

Have fun anyway.

Orgun

Leunam said:

:lol That's the face I make every time I clip my front wing. Great post as always.

Edit: Oh and thanks for the invite last night guys, that was a lot of fun. Even though I didn't really see anyone after the race start, apart from driving through Folorium as he lagged :), it felt nice to be racing on track with real people.

Top Bottom