• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Fëanor

I come back to play the game, and to my surprise I'm getting this rather bizarre drop in performance. I was doing mostly 50-60 fps with everything on high at 1600X900. Now I'm getting 30-35fps. Did anyone experienced something similar?

Peterthumpa

Fëanor said:
I come back to play the game, and to my surprise I'm getting this rather bizarre drop in performance. I was doing mostly 50-60 fps with everything on high at 1600X900. Now I'm getting 30-35fps. Did anyone experienced something similar?
Are you racing in the same track?
Different tracks, different performance usually.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I just put half an hour in to Canada and got a 1:12.8, which so far is the fastest on my friend list.

Not lightening fast, but a decent time considering I was learning the braking zones for the first time! :D I hope to be my most competitive in the next race. I like the track a lot.
Yeah, I think I wont be able to improve much on my time, which is worrying because I bet you lot can, but for now, without the really fast lot like Animal and Lucius, we look pretty quick :p

F12010101.jpg

If this sort of grouping is repeated come Saturday, fireworks will be assured.

Orgun

1-D_FTW

People using aides again. Unless it's announced all aides are being disabled, I'm turning on traction control to compete with you bastards.:lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Guys can you help me with the best *realistic settings* for the G27 and F1 2010?
I can't seem to find the right set up between wheel weight in ffb settings and custom settings for the wheel (sensitivy, saturation, linear stearing and so on..). It feels off, but I've never drove an open wheeler irl ;-) Also how many degrees have you set your G27 specific F1 profile?
Anyway I like my cars to have a real "opposite force" and wheight and not only giving me that opposition when I'm in a full turn, hopefully
I've explained myself a bit.. Also as I undesrtand these cars are kinda "nervous" to drive, so it should reflect that... I don't wanna have it to gamey.
Can you guys share/help? PC version but I don't think that counts.
Also, graphically speaking, the reflection setting involve only your car? How much resources does that eat up? I'm queationing if I should have it on high or very high and swap it with very high on "distant cars

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Now at position #28 on the leaderboards with over 157 wins :D :D

If anyone wants to race my XBL name is GroovyGhouliez

1-D_FTW said:
People using aides again. Unless it's announced all aides are being disabled, I'm turning on traction control to compete with you bastards.:lol
I'm pretty sure it's only automatic being used. Everything else is turned off for the race.

I'm only using automatic, anyway.

AcridMeat

Banned
1-D_FTW said:

As mentioned, the only aid I have is an automatic gearbox.

Stop It

1-D_FTW said:
We're pretty sure thats yet another bug, or Codemasters not checking what flags are being read. None of us use any driver aids, the only thing some people use is an Auto gearbox because they prefer it as it gives no advantage either way.

Anywho, watch those times tumble this week. Lucius, Animal and co need to have a blast on TT, and I'm never going to stay ahead of these lot for that long.

Orgun said:
Hell yes it is! I spent like two days trying to improve on that track and just gave up in the end :)

I know, right? I had a few pretty good laps and I still qualify 22 or 23. I mean what the fuck? I can't get the last chichane. right and there are a couple in sector 2 that I know I can take on a bit faster but how in the name of our Lord can I take two more seconds of this time?

Are there suggestions for a Catalunya-setup?

Orgun

1-D_FTW said:

Heh, I had all aides turned off and manual gears during the monaco race. Maybe I should have left traction control on. :lol

Dash Kappei said:
Guys can you help me with the best *realistic settings* for the G27 and F1 2010?
I can't seem to find the right set up between wheel weight in ffb settings and custom settings for the wheel (sensitivy, saturation, linear stearing and so on..). It feels off, but I've never drove an open wheeler irl ;-) Also how many degrees have you set your G27 specific F1 profile?
Anyway I like my cars to have a real "opposite force" and wheight and not only giving me that opposition when I'm in a full turn, hopefully
I've explained myself a bit.. Also as I undesrtand these cars are kinda "nervous" to drive, so it should reflect that... I don't wanna have it to gamey.
Also, graphically speaking, the reflection setting involve only your car? How much resources does that eat up? I'm queationing if I should have it on high or very high and swap it with very high on "distant cars

Here's what I use with my Logitech Driving Force GT.

Orgun said:
Their advanced settings are:

Deadzone 0%
Steering Sat: 75%
Steering Lin: 70%
Throttle Dead: 0%
Throttle Sat: 100%
Brake Dead: 0%
Brake Sat: 100%

and all the force feedback options are at 100%

They recommend those settings for all wheels.

felipepl said:
We need a second championship... does the official has all slots occupied?

I'm up for a second champion ship and a few others have mentioned interest also.

1-D_FTW

AcridMeat said:
As mentioned, the only aid I have is an automatic gearbox.

I know you mentioned it, but you also mentioned you thought. With this game, it's not out of the realm of possibility that settings get changed without realizing it.

That and the fact some people on the leaderboard have it marked properly (auto gearbox and no aides) and it's easy to get paranoid. Should have known it was just one more Codemasters glitch.

But can you blame me? This many automatic transmission guys? Come on people!

On second thought, never mind. I need all the advantages I can get

Stop It said:
We're pretty sure thats yet another bug, or Codemasters not checking what flags are being read. None of us use any driver aids, the only thing some people use is an Auto gearbox because they prefer it as it gives no advantage either way.

Anywho, watch those times tumble this week. Lucius, Animal and co need to have a blast on TT, and I'm never going to stay ahead of these lot for that long.

Is there really much room to tumble? The top times are 1:09. So you'll be reasonably close no matter what (Except the #1 spot being 1:04. Either he's a cheater or I need to switch to Ferrari ASAP).

AcridMeat

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I know you mentioned it, but you also mentioned you thought. With this game, it's not out of the realm of possibility that settings get changed without realizing it.

That and the fact some people on the leaderboard have it marked properly (auto gearbox and no aides) and it's easy to get paranoid. Should have known it was just one more Codemasters glitch.

But can you blame me? This many automatic transmission guys? Come on people!

On second thought, never mind. I need all the advantages I can get[/spoiler
I know I said before that I wasn't 100% sure, but I checked my settings when in TT today and everyone is turned off except for the automatic gearbox. The reason I use the autobox is that I'm on a 360 controller, not a wheel.

edit: Also when we play our championship races, traction control is banned, so there really is no advantage to using it on TT.

Orgun

Oh wow, I just tried out the Freelook mod and maaan that is weird! Going to give it a few laps around Montreal to see if I can get used to it :)

1-D_FTW

AcridMeat said:
I know I said before that I wasn't 100% sure, but I checked my settings when in TT today and everyone is turned off except for the automatic gearbox. The reason I use the autobox is that I'm on a 360 controller, not a wheel.

edit: Also when we play our championship races, traction control is banned, so there really is no advantage to using it on TT.

Have you tried going with B for upshift, A for downshift? Up until I just got my wheel, this was my standard racing config. It really does work well. Only game series it was less than ideal were the Climax MotoGP games. But that's because you had a front brake and a rear brake. And the analog triggers were best used on those. Created a chain reaction of problems.

I personally don't find it satisfying to use manual on a joypad. I tried it with Forza 3 after not doing it for ages and it just felt... odd. Maybe it's because I drive for real now and anything less than a gear stick doesn't feel like an apporpriate way to change gear.

I'm pretty sure even if I had a wheel I still wouldn't like it on a flappy paddle.

AcridMeat

Banned
It's just not intuitive to me to use face buttons to change gears. If I don't have paddles or a shifter it doesn't help me gain any authenticity. I developed a driving style that caters to the automatic gearbox in games (over many games/years).

1-D_FTW

I guess. You clearly get excellent times using the automatic transmission. I just always thought it was easier to downshift and have it be a helpful way of not braking more than you need to. Whatever works. If it ain't broke.

1-D_FTW

Screw it. I think I'm done with my practicing for the week. I don't see myself getting much better. I know the track and the general shift points. Didn't know either for Australia (and it was my first time racing without the track line on). I have no chance of competing with the elite guys, but I'm prepared as I can get for the rest. My strategy is drive slow and hope others have enough spins/crashes/penalties, that I move up some places.

Shaneus

Anyone know what version of Korea is in the game? I was reading up on Wikipedia and they were saying that the final layout is different from the one that was initially designed.

slamskank

AcridMeat said:
It's just not intuitive to me to use face buttons to change gears. If I don't have paddles or a shifter it doesn't help me gain any authenticity. I developed a driving style that caters to the automatic gearbox in games (over many games/years).
Get a wheel man. You are good, chances are the pad is holding you back a bit. Wheels are a lot of fun once you get used to them. Off to try the freecam mod now.

Leunam

I've had the exact opposite happen for me. I don't have force feedback on and it sometimes just comes on during a race.

Sorry about not having the results post up yet, guys. I had a super busy weekend and had to leave the apartment right after the race. I should have it ready either today or tomorrow.

slamskank said:
Great race overall guys. Also, want to apologize to Leunam, I spun you out once or twice when I tried to overtake when we had a battle going in the first half and I feel quite bad about it.

No worries.

Speaking of which, I want to apologize to everyone who flew by me in the tunnel. I nicked the wall and next thing I know I'm perpendicular to the track. Couldn't move because I would have royally fucked everyone up that was coming behind me. My apologies once again.

Lucius86

Banned
Orgun said:
Has anyone else with a Driving Force GT experienced a sudden lose of Force Feedback mid race?

What drivers are you using? I downloaded mine from logitech's web site so I knew I had the latest version, rather than using the supplied disc.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Orgun said:
Dash Kappei: said:
Also, graphically speaking, the reflection setting involve only your car? How much resources does that eat up? I'm queationing if I should have it on high or very high and swap it with very high on "distant cars .

Here's what I use with my Logitech Driving Force GT.

Originally Posted by Orgun:
Their advanced settings are:

Deadzone 0%
Steering Sat: 75%
Steering Lin: 70%
Throttle Dead: 0%
Throttle Sat: 100%
Brake Dead: 0%
Brake Sat: 100%

and all the force feedback options are at 100

Thanks man! So you have Wheel Weight at 100%?
I'll try that right now! Anyone else wanna include their settings? Have I explained myself good enough in my post? If you can even just copy/paste yours I'd love to try 'em, can't be worse than mine. :lol

slamskank

Orgun said:
Has anyone else with a Driving Force GT experienced a sudden lose of Force Feedback mid race?
That only happened to my g25 when the power cable got unplugged mid race. It's dumb but make sure your cables are all in.

Lucius86

Banned
Ok, just done my TT lap of 1.11.4XX - happy with that :D

For the next hot lap video, do people want it based on a TT lap (i.e. optimum conditions) or dry PRACTICE conditions (much more akin to what we will be experiencing come Saturday).

TylerD

1.12.9 is my best so far IIRC. I did a full weekend GP at Montreal with a 40% race last night and dominated the poor professional AI in my McLaren.

Lucius86 said:

For the next hot lap video, do people want it based on a TT lap (i.e. optimum conditions) or dry PRACTICE conditions (much more akin to what we will be experiencing come Saturday).

Dry practice conditions since it is more relevant.

Lucius86

Banned
TylerD said:
Dry practice conditions since it is more relevant.

Good. I was aiming to do that since I did this with Australia. I wont be recording the lap today, BUT I am creating better intros/outros tonight :D

Orgun

Dash Kappei said:
I'll try that right now! Anyone else wanna include their settings? Have I explained myself good enough in my post? If you can even just copy/paste yours I'd love to try 'em, can't be worse than mine. :lol

Yup, I have everything in the Force feedback menu set to 100%.

Lucius86 said:
What drivers are you using? I downloaded mine from logitech's web site so I knew I had the latest version, rather than using the supplied disc.

Ah, i'm just using the drivers off the disc. I'll try downloading the latest ones from the website but I suspect it might have been a power cable issue as slamskank suggested :)

1-D_FTW

Dash Kappei said:

Those are the settings from the review posted earlier. I use those too.

As for the Logitech Profiler settings, I'm just letting the game handle everything. I'm sure you could radically alter the feel, but it seems good enough for me. With those game settings I was getting pretty strong feedback when we had a race on Monza in the heavy rain. You could strongly feel the road whenever you were about to lose the behind.

I've also noticed that the resistance is stronger when you have a lot of downforce (raced Monaco with the engineer slider all the way to the left). When you run a fast setup with little downforce, the car has much less tension. I'm going to assume Codemaster has set these feedback models based on some reality. A game like Dirt 2 has much stronger effects. So clearly they're capable of a different feel when they deem it appropriate.

Stop It

Lucius86 said:

Bastard!! Although for once, I (And the rest of the field) will not be thinking that time is unbeatable thanks to the simple nature of the Montreal track.

Unlike Monaco, a decent racer (And frankly, you guys make me look rubbish and even I have got somewhere on this track) can work it out and get some decent times.

TylerD said:
1.12.9 is my best so far IIRC. I did a full weekend GP at Montreal with a 40% race last night and dominated the poor professional AI in my McLaren.
1:12.360 here, and I know I can break into the 1:11's, but as I said, I'm sure that most of us can do that. What's more important is race pace, and I am going to hammer GP mode in the run up to the weekend to get some consistency into my racing.

All I know is, this race is probably going to be one of the most fiercely contested races of the championship. Simple track, great racers, a recipe for a true battle of skill.

Dilly

Banned

I'll put in some practice in the next days, pretty much ran Time Trial with rFactor track in the back of my mind.

GHG

Gold Member
Apologies for the lack of communication from my part during the last 5 days or so, my life seems to have collapsed around me and this is the 1st chance I've had to be able to get on the net since about last thursday.

Here's the message I just sent acrid:

Hi man,

I'm really sorry but i had some serious family problems arise as of last thursday hence I haven't been on the internet since then. Apologies for not being able to make the race and not being able to communicate prior to it but I needed to sort things out in my life 1st and foremost. Hope you guys had a blast.

Hopefully I'll be available for the next race (Which is when BTW??). I'll try my best to keep you guys updated on my status.

Orgun

Montreal is a lot of fun to drive! Even though I got screwed in the pits yet again (from 3rd to 21st) I managed to drive back up to 13th and it was hella fun :)

Valencia next..blargh.

edit: I've been waiting for this :)

BBC F1 Intro mod

AcridMeat

Banned
So it seems everyone is anticipating Montreal to take place this Saturday. Is anyone against that? If we could move back to the time we did our Melbourne GP that would be great as waking up at 7:50 on a Saturday was kind of crazy. :lol

I would like Dilly and GHG to be able to participate this time around so if 10am Pacific/5pm in the UK doesn't work for you guys let me know!

Had the weirdest qualifying session last night, only me and 3 other cars registered any times....weather was ok, just no-body went out in Q3 :lol

5wbebs.jpg

Loving the game a bit more now I'm half way though my first season. Yeh, there's some bugs, like Spa in the rain, no-one pitting for wets, but still going faster than me whilst on slicks, but overall, I must say I love the game. It's got the "feel" down right, and it's just so enjoyable to drive, learn the tracks and improve your time. Just like F1 in real life, you're probably fighting the track and yourself a lot of the time rather than the other car.

slamskank

Very nice time Animal.

I'd like a 2nd championship because I was just filling a spot left open by Dilly and GHG this past saturday and want to be able to do it every week!

Anyone interested should PM me and I'll make up a list.

Top Bottom