• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Dilly

Banned
Fucking hell, I finally improved my Montreal time, and improved it quite a bit. :lol

1.10.841, 19th on the leaderboards!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Leunam said:
Jinjo is right, I got them after subzero said he had to leave. Initially, the file he uploaded had every map but Canada, but I managed to find that one at FIA.com with some help. The website is slow, and a little hard to navigate, but you can find those maps on there.

EDIT: Here you go, column on the right with the GP names on them.

Thanks man :D

Thanks Jingo for the effort too.
We need to wait after the 24th to get the Korean GP map tho ;)

1-D_FTW

One of these days I'm going to leave noob status.

So, yeah, finally tried using cockpit view. Didn't like because how low you were and the antennae being in your view, so I was using the one just above that.

What a difference. It's so much easier to use the entire track. And be more consistent with brake points. And correct the car getting out of control.

And WAKE UP ACRID.

1-D_FTW

Acrid was last online 6 hours ago. I think he played late and is sleeping.

Only reason I was late last week is that's what I thought was going on. I'm not thrilled with this time either. I'd either prefer earlier or later. Gonna wait till 12:00 then I'm out.

AcridMeat

Banned
Yeah, the fact no one else is on Pacific time fucked me over. I had the time an hour off, I meant to have 6pm GMT not 5, had it been 5 I would be up at 9. I just woke up at 9:30 to find it's all started :/

Well I've had to bail out of this weeks race due to ridiculous lag/stuttering online. It not only makes corners impossible, but it seems to slow down my car as on the straight I went from 170mph down to 80mph and the cars in Quali just flew by me?

Anyone know a solution for this? I've deleted the replay file but that did fuck all.

Quite annoyed, to be honest.

1-D_FTW

This game really sucks ass when it comes to visual clues on rain.

Qualifying is in rain and it's perfectly fine on slicks.

So race starts, the fucking screen shows drizzle and 15 percent chance of rain. I figure fine. I'll ride it out on slicks. This isn't much and it'll dry out. Get onto the fucking track and it's saturated with puddles.

1st turn, I hit the brakes slide all the way through the pack and get a +3 lap penalty. Second turn I try braking again slide way the fuck off. The car was totally uncontrollable. Would have taken me 5 minutes to get around and probably would have been lapped and gotten another +3 lap penalty.

Worth waiting an hour and half for:(

Orgun

Wooo, that was a lot of fun! Bonus - I actually managed to finish a race and grab some points lol.

Rain is fun :D I had a glob of rain over my gear indicator for like 3 laps heh

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Orgun said:
Wooo, that was a lot of fun! Bonus - I actually managed to finish a race and grab some points lol.

Rain is fun :D I had a glob of rain over my gear indicator for like 3 laps heh
Yeah, 6th for me, not a bad race but was marred by people not turning their brains on and using me as target practice.

Still, I expected 5th and Staab really stepped up and deserved that place so no complaints about the result, but if I get turned into like that again, I will be doing a Schumacher-Coulthard and having "words" :p

Dilly

Banned
So glad it rained, got from P6 to P2 in the start and I was faster than Lucius in the rain.

I did crash into the wall of champions though, luckily no damage.

Stop It

Dilly said:
So glad it rained, got from P6 to P2 in the start and I was faster than Lucius in the rain.

I did crash into the wall of champions though, luckily no damage.
I was half expecting the following into the wall of champions:

th_relgif.gif

But alas, I didn't witness such carnage.

Also, yes to Suzuka! :D

Dilly

Banned
Lucius86 said:
By like a second a lap!!!
I was really happy about that, I really needed a win for the championship.

I was driving behind you trying to figure out what car it was.

Is that Lucius?
It's green!
It's Lucius!

:lol

Wet weather really suits me, I love it.

Mad_Ban

I feel like crying...

First season on hard with Virgin racing. Won the two opening races then fell a bit off form during the midseason with Webber getting a 35 point lead over me at one stage. At Valencia I win again after a titanic race with Vettel and carry my form onto Silverstone where me and Webbo are now 1 point apart for the title lead,and then Hockenheim Webber DNF's while I go onto win. I finally established a decent lead which I could conserve for the rest of the season.

Load the game up this morning ready to go for the title.

"Game Data Corrupt"

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF :'(

Ikopi

Mad_Ban said:
I feel like crying...

First season on hard with Virgin racing. Won the two opening races then fell a bit off form during the midseason with Webber getting a 35 point lead over me at one stage. At Valencia I win again after a titanic race with Vettel and carry my form onto Silverstone where me and Webbo are now 1 point apart for the title lead,and then Hockenheim Webber DNF's while I go onto win. I finally established a decent lead which I could conserve for the rest of the season.

Load the game up this morning ready to go for the title.

"Game Data Corrupt"

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF :'(

Are you on PC? On Windows 7, right click on your 'savedgames' map, and use 'restore previous version'. With a bit of luck, you only have to redo one race. I had the same thing and I only had to redo two races. Still, one hell of a bug.

Lucius86

Banned
Dilly said:
I was really happy about that, I really needed a win for the championship.

I was driving behind you trying to figure out what car it was.

Is that Lucius?
It's green!
It's Lucius!

:lol

Wet weather really suits me, I love it.

What did it was your exit speed - I just could not get the power down out of the corners like you did. It's a shame I messed up my pit stop, because I think our battle at the end in the dry would have been quite epic.

I'm going to have to prctice Suzaka a lot - I like the circuit, but in Forza I was not that fast on it...

Stop It

Lucius86 said:
What did it was your exit speed - I just could not get the power down out of the corners like you did. It's a shame I messed up my pit stop, because I think our battle at the end in the dry would have been quite epic.

I'm going to have to prctice Suzaka a lot - I like the circuit, but in Forza I was not that fast on it...
I wouldn't worry too much. Suzuka in F1 2010 is totally different in feel to Suzuka in Forza, the track, especially Sector 1 flows so much better so you'll notice you're able to be much faster than you expect to be.

I'm sure this season will be marked by many more epic battles for the lead involving the likes of yourself, Dilly and Animal, I look forward to seeing them.

1-D_FTW

I'm slowly but surely getting comfortable with where the shift points are on Suzuka. Yesterday on that final straight-corner combo I was downshifting to 6th to take it. Then I finally started keeping it in 7th but letting up. This morning I finally tried taking it flat out.

This is my problem. I haven't played a remotely serious racer in so many years I'm entering each track clueless. That's why I like Lucious' videos. By the time he posts them, I've pretty much reinvented the wheel and figured out what the proper shift points should be. And then I can refine from there.

EDIT: And in case anyone thinks I'm ultra dense, I did try taking the corner in 7th the first couple times. But because I was reacting to everything with surprise, I wasn't being proactive enough and was going wide right. Hence the reason I dialed it back and was reluctant to try again.

Lucius86

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I'm slowly but surely getting comfortable with where the shift points are on Suzuka. Yesterday on that final straight-corner combo I was downshifting to 6th to take it. Then I finally started keeping it in 7th but letting up. This morning I finally tried taking it flat out.

This is my problem. I haven't played a remotely serious racer in so many years I'm entering each track clueless. That's why I like Lucious' videos. By the time he posts them, I've pretty much reinvented the wheel and figured out what the proper shift points should be. And then I can refine from there.

EDIT: And in case anyone thinks I'm ultra dense, I did try taking the corner in 7th the first couple times. But because I was reacting to everything with surprise, I wasn't being proactive enough and was going wide right. Hence the reason I dialed it back and was reluctant to try again.

Well hopefully this week I can churn out the lap a day earlier :D

1-D_FTW

I've been watching some videos on youtube and Codemaster's definitely has the camera way too low in the cockpit. If you aren't familiar with the track, it's almost unplayable on those hills on Suzuka. Watched an eye level camera shot on Alain Frost and a lap on the Red Bull simulator. Those hills weren't obscuring the track ahead.

Codemasters has such wanky cockpit cameras in their games. If it's done for performance reasons and having fewer polygons on screen, I wish they'd just give you options to adjust it. I don't care about the "piss filter", I just wish they'd address this in their games.

Stop It

Animal said:
As someone who's sat in an F1 car, the cockpit cam is fine. I only play in cockpit cam.
I use the cockpit cam too and I am fine with the view, but then for most tracks I know the general layout so that may help.

On a related note, Time Trial is going to be the end of me! I have been playing around a bit at Monza as it is a track we'll be visiting in our championship and for a track with few corners, it's an utter bitch.

One things for sure, if after just an hour or so of practice (read: swearing), if I can be in the top 100 times in the world, I imagine the likes of Dilly, Animal and Lucius are going to be topping the world leaderboards, just like Canada.

Dilly said:
Tell me more!
I echo this question. What F1 car? When? Where? Details!

moojito

I remember seeing a film of kovalainen guiding a bbc presenter round Hungary and he was saying as you approached turn 1 you couldn't see shit, just this pole sticking up where the corner was and had to trust to blind (literally) luck to get you round.

I can't really work out how the camera view referenced earlier was "eye level", for obvious reasons. Off to one side, maybe? (no steering wheel/chassis in the way), etc

1-D_FTW

moojito said:
I remember seeing a film of kovalainen guiding a bbc presenter round Hungary and he was saying as you approached turn 1 you couldn't see shit, just this pole sticking up where the corner was and had to trust to blind (literally) luck to get you round.

I can't really work out how the camera view referenced earlier was "eye level", for obvious reasons. Off to one side, maybe? (no steering wheel/chassis in the way), etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ24-l5PC0k

It's off to the side. And the center of the camera is right about eye level with his eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luVZduAcP8A

That's the simulator.

I know they're low. But Codemaster racing games this gen have had the worst cockpits. I remember when they released the Dirt statistics that said less then 10 percent used cockpit mode. And some people here tried rationalizing that people hate cockpit modes. Codemaster cockpits are just brutal unless you know the track.

pmj

Monaco is a bitch since you can't see some of the chicanes until you're pretty much on top of them. I'm only up to Monaco in my career as I dare not touch the game anymore until it's patched, but so far that's been my only issue with the camera. And I haven't raced on any of these tracks before.

I understand that it's positioned too far back on some cars though, such as the Red Bull and the Ferrari.

Dilly

Banned
1. Corrupt Save Games - We have identified an over-zealous anti-cheating check that manifested as falsely identified corrupt saves, specifically the ones relating to practice and R&D upgrades, the save-games should now load without issue. However if any of you are experiencing corrupt saves outside of this then please continue to send your PS3 save game files to us (Xbox360 & PC saves aren’t of any use to us) and we can test these against the latest patch to see whether all instances of this issue have now been fixed

2. AI not pitting in dry races where a mandatory pit stop was required (20% or more) – This has been fixed.

3. Player held in pit-stop too long – We’ve improved exit logic so that it isn’t too cautious in holding players during a pit-stop.

4. Puncture frequency reduced – The likelihood of players suffering punctures has been reduced.

5. Pit-stop lock-ups - Fixed several instances which caused the pit crew to lock-up and not be able to service the cars.

6. Automatically updating race strategy – Selecting prime tyres from the tyre menu (over default option) now updates the strategy so that the pit-crew assign options during the pit stop as opposed to re-attaching another set of primes (in a dry race of 20% or more).

7. First lap calculates correctly – The lap time for the first lap of the race now calculates correctly, from the lights going out as opposed to the cars crossing the start line.

In addition to these fixes we’ve also made improvements to the game based on your forum feedback:-

1. OSD changes – showing split times rather than gap to leader – We’ve changed how the OSD timing information functions so that split times are now displayed on the OSD, showing race time and race time differences to the other cars – I.e. how far ahead/behind are at a sector boundary.

2. AI affected more by damage received – Damage sustained by an AI’s car will have a greater effect their handling characteristics, effectively slowing damaged AI down more. AI cars that cannot maintain a racing speed will naturally yield to faster cars & come into the pits for repairs. As before, If they receive too much damage, they will retire from the race.

3. AI yielding to other cars when not on flying lap in qualifying - Improved AI behaviour to move off the racing line or out of the player’s way when the player is on a flying lap.

4. Increased wheel support – Increased wheel support and force feedback tweaks (where applicable) for the following wheels; Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 Force Feedback (officially supported), Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience (officially supported), Thrustmaster RGT Force Feedback Pro Clutch (not officially supported but will work), Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S & GT3 RS2 (both officially supported).

5. Wet weather improvements - Rebalanced graphical and handling effect of cars driving on a wet track - the level of wetness has been increased as well as tyre trails being made more prominent.

6. Improved Damage Modelling – Tweaks to the damage system so that more damage is visible / received during lesser impacts.

7. Next lap invalidated time trial logic - In time trial the next lap is no longer invalidated for any offence committed in the 3rd sector. It is calculated per track and is predominantly based on the final corner.

8. AI: Driver Behaviours - Addressed some issues in driver behaviour balancing that were causing occasionally unrealistic finishing positions.

There have also been several PC specific improvements as well:-

1. PC 'replay saving' and playback – You will be able to save out the files to replay them later or share them with others.

2. DX11 – The F1 2010 patch will enable the game to run on DX11. All of the graphical improvements are configurable from graphical options when in DX11. Specifically, "ultra" settings for 'shadows' and 'postprocess'. (These options require a lot of processing power, and are only recommended for high-end graphics cards.

3. Eyefinity Support – F1 2010 now supports 3 x 1 or 3 x 2 monitor display setups (minimum requirement of 3 x monitors)

4. Optimisations – We have made better use of multi-core processors in general, which will lead to better framerates on higher end machines.

5. Additional Support - Support for SandyBridge processors, which also adds support for currently available 'modern' processors, like Core i7, which wasn't correctly detected previously.

Split times and replay saving are in, finally.

jlevel13

AcridMeat said:
When is it out?

Looks like it will be at least a few more weeks... from the same post there's this...

Once the process has finished, we can then release the patch for submission which will take an additional couple of weeks until it is available for release. Here is a quick overview of the main issues which we’re addressing:

But overall it sounds good - I'm pretty much waiting on the patch to start playing the game again though.

1-D_FTW

If only it were using Steamworks instead of Live. That sounds like one whopper of a patch. I don't wanna wait for MS certification.

Also kind of curios about the post processing effects. My 460 GTX never seems to pass 70 percent utilization, so I've got plenty of overhead if it wants to start using it.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Tried this last night online. Still got massive lag.

Fucks sake.

Out of curiosity, have you tried forwarding the ports for Live? Or pinging other servers? If your problems are related solely to this game, it'd be worth a shot.

Top Bottom