• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

1-D_FTW

Dash Kappei said:
Did you had to do the mklink thingie as well? Did you have it from before, or it is not longer needed and you can just check read only on the file properties?

As I detailed, I could never get that whole mklink to work. I simply right-click on the replay file and choose "read only" in properties. That's enough to eliminate the caching hiccups for me.

Lucius86

Banned
Omiee said:
any pc patch out ..?

Yep, it's out. Link is on previous page, or here: http://www.gamershell.com/download_65588.shtml

Orgun said:
Before I die (or the place shuts down) I MUST GO HERE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U3wKKc2eM0&feature=player_embedded

edit: Oh neat, it's in London. I could get there on the bus :lol
edit2: Ok this was meant to go into the Formula 1 thread but whatever.

That looks so sweet - I live in London, so I should go too :lol

Salacious Crumb

I know it doesn't mean much but:

zGPK1.png

:D

Still a bit of a messy lap, my previous best was quicker through sector 1 but I nailed 2 and 3 on this run.

Lucius86

Banned
Leunam said:
Aww shit, Crumb to steal the championship halfway through the season?

Could well be - even with my healthy lead I'm nervous now - its all starting to look like the 2009 champ when Button decided to throw it away during the second half of the season, and Stop It is doing a Lewis Hamilton :lol

So all in all. Is this game worth picking up?

I'm a fan of F1 racing but just couldn't decide if this game would be worth it as i've never liked many of the prior F1 games.

Lucius86

Banned
MidnightRider said:

I'm a fan of F1 racing but just couldn't decide if this game would be worth it as i've never liked many of the prior F1 games.

Personally, it's a big yes. The patch has improved many issues that I found disconcerting, and the driving model is good fun. Definitely worth it IMO.

It's exceeded my expectations. So much so I'm not buying Gran Turismo 5 until next year now.

I will say I think you should have a good community to play with unless you throw yourself into career mode, though. About 40 of the 50 hours I've played of the game has been online with GAFers. :lol

AcridMeat

Banned
MidnightRider said:

I'm biased as I've been waiting for an F1 game for a decade, but I've put just over 70 hours already. Granted you could minus a good chunk of that if we didn't set up the championship.

But reiterating what Lucius said, driving model is fun and rewarding and they fixed the main issues that made the career mode broken. Dive in boyo. :D

edit: It needs to be said that there is some crazy shit going on with the optimization of the game. So the patch came and it gave a performance boost for everyone. I looked at the graphical settings last night and all of the settings were bumped up to high with 8xAA. I thought, "Well, shit it must be even smoother with lower settings!" So I turned down what I did pre-patch and it ran exactly the same as it had pre-patch.

With everything bumped up and AA on, I get 39-45 frames, with settings turned down, I get 29-34. How? I was always under the impression that turning down settings means you will get a smoother game.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Salacious Crumb said:
Still a bit of a messy lap, my previous best was quicker through sector 1 but I nailed 2 and 3 on this run.
Christ. I'm targeting you in the championship and seeing that is not a good sign!

This weekend is going to be epic, I can feel it.

1-D_FTW

AcridMeat said:
edit: It needs to be said that there is some crazy shit going on with the optimization of the game. So the patch came and it gave a performance boost for everyone. I looked at the graphical settings last night and all of the settings were bumped up to high with 8xAA. I thought, "Well, shit it must be even smoother with lower settings!" So I turned down what I did pre-patch and it ran exactly the same as it had pre-patch.

With everything bumped up and AA on, I get 39-45 frames, with settings turned down, I get 29-34. How? I was always under the impression that turning down settings means you will get a smoother game.

I'll also add that GP doesn't really give the boost (I think. Unless something was just weird) that TT and presumably online do. MY GPU usage goes from upper 88-92 percent usage in TT down to pre-patch 60s when in GP qualifying (have yet to do a race). I can only assume this is because it's a sloppy 360 port that wants 6 threads. I'm guessing the extra thread needed for AI means the CPU robs Peter to pay Paul. Even though my 4 cores never get stressed and the game seems to lock at 56 percent CPU utilization.

It's better than nothing and I appreciate the patch, but I still can't but help think this engine took a serious step backwards from Dirt 2.

Lucius86 said:
Erm, so yeah. Fuck you guys.

63vhvl.jpg

There's 21 people better than you? You suck! Learn to drive.:D

Orgun

Bah, sorry about all the "ignored" chat invites guys. I was out getting waaaaaaasted, though TBH it was pretty dull and uneventful. Probably would have preferred to be racing.

Stop It

Salacious Crumb said:
I always figured you would beat my time Lucius, but did it have to be by so much :(
Tell me about it.

Well, awake and about to start practice for this evening. Full race length runs on Prime tyres incoming!

Qualifying for the "real" F1 is 3pm here in the UK and the broadcast ends at 5:20pm. The last 20 or so minutes will be waffle, so hopefully it will be over by 5pm, but I may be a few minutes late if the Q3 goes a bit long after 5pm.

I'm sure lots of other people will be wanting to watching it, too, so yeah, please leave a grace period of 5-10 minutes. If it's not over by 5:10pm I'll run to my PC anyway! :p

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
Qualifying for the "real" F1 is 3pm here in the UK and the broadcast ends at 5:20pm. The last 20 or so minutes will be waffle, so hopefully it will be over by 5pm, but I may be a few minutes late if the Q3 goes a bit long after 5pm.

I'm sure lots of other people will be wanting to watching it, too, so yeah, please leave a grace period of 5-10 minutes. If it's not over by 5:10pm I'll run to my PC anyway! :p
Indeed. The fact is that we rarely start on time anyway and we'll all be online talking about the Qualifying at Interlagos anyway so I'm hoping people wont mind us waiting.

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
Orgun and I gracefully dance around Silverstone. It's beautiful to watch. :D
You two are going to have an epic battle today, it should be great to see/hear!

As for myself, I'm in severe trouble. Lucius can easily push 1:32s out of the primes, which most people would be happy with in Qualifying on Options. My only hope is he makes a mistake and allows me to get away a bit.

1-D_FTW

That race flat out sucked.

#1 You flat out can not choose wet tires with the G27 d-pad. It doesn't go lower than intermediates. Wasn't an issue, but why?

#2 WTF whoever took me out. I'm driving fast going towards last turn and a crash victim pulls out off the grass and with the rain I absolutely plow into him. Almost was able to recover, but then the next group was right behind me and I got blasted again because I ended up in their racing line.

#3 This rain on weekends is total bullshit. It doesn't rain every week. This isn't realistic at all.

#4 As if you can't tell, that DSQ was a RQ:)

On the upside, by oc'ing my CPU and running DX 11, my GPU was running 93 utilization load. And I think by running compatibility Vista SP2, I've eliminated the load crashes. Instead of my load wheel stopping and crashing the program, it slows way down before going back to normal.

I enjoyed the race this weekend. I fucked myself with tyre choices and pitting twice, but that's F1!

I won the destruction derby 3-1 by taking out Acrid, Crumbs and Stop It. Oh yeahhh. :lol

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
I enjoyed the race this weekend. I fucked myself with tyre choices and pitting twice, but that's F1!

I won the destruction derby 3-1 by taking out Acrid, Crumbs and Stop It. Oh yeahhh. :lol
:lol

Well, aside from a weird fracas at the end, which, frankly (I seen 1-D_FTW coming into Arena sideways) was strange and shows how the game doesn't always get the positioning right between the US and the UK that was a good race.

Honestly 1D, you were probably hit by lag because someone came across you on your screen but not on theirs. Poor Lucius was on dry tyres too which caused mayhem. Nothing to RQ over if I'm honest.

Anyway, onto the next race guys! :)

AcridMeat

Banned
Orgun said:
Twas a lot of fun. I certainly had trouble getting used to the heavy fuel load on the first few laps!

Same, I was fine through the two or three corners then let my guard down and went wide as hell.

Interlagos should be fun.

Lucius86

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
#2 WTF whoever took me out. I'm driving fast going towards last turn and a crash victim pulls out off the grass and with the rain I absolutely plow into him. Almost was able to recover, but then the next group was right behind me and I got blasted again because I ended up in their racing line.

That was likely me, and I apologise. I was still on slicks on the final lap, and I could literally not control the car. My risk in trying to take the race win would have worked if the race was 1 lap less....my last lap was 50 seconds off the pace.

Sorry.

Stop It

Lucius86 said:
Is that the next race?
Yes, nothing like a race being run in real life to motivate us into actually racing it in our championship.

I must admit I suck royally at the track, even if it is awesome. This is one race where I certainly will not be involved in the post race press conference!

Lucius86 said:
That was likely me, and I apologise. I was still on slicks on the final lap, and I could literally not control the car. My risk in trying to take the race win would have worked if the race was 1 lap less....my last lap was 50 seconds off the pace.

Sorry.
I thought it was quite funny on the last lap because I thought I was lapping Leunam again or something, when all of a sudden I realised it was a Lotus and I was taking back the lapping you gave me earlier. :lol

Interlagos looks like a track that I might be quicker on than Silverstone and Suzuka.

Salacious Crumb

It's about time we raced on a shorter track, it took me way too long to get used to Silverstone and Suzuka.

After 30 mins of practice on Interlagos:

TBCFQ.png

I expect you to break into the top 10 here Lucius :D

Lucius86

Banned
Salacious Crumb said:
It's about time we raced on a shorter track, it took me way too long to get used to Silverstone and Suzuka.

After 30 mins of practice on Interlagos:

TBCFQ.png

I expect you to break into the top 10 here Lucius :D

FUCK thats fast. Eeek

I absolutely HATE Silverstone. I just can't get the first couple of corners right. In the first corner I always go too wide or I go too slow. The two corners after that I mess up because I don't steer quickly enough, and then the next corner goes wide because of that which ends up in me taking the corner after that really slow because if I don't I end up in the grass.

The rest of the track is fine, but those are absolutely killing me. It's also quite annoying that in Flying Laps the AI driver racing my car almost every single time spins the car on the last corner before entering the straight.

Just did a few laps of Brazil and matched Stop It's time almost. I need to refine the braking zones, and once I do that I will love flying around it. So many fast corners!

Great track. I love going around on to the last straight at 200mph.

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
Just did a few laps of Brazil and matched Stop It's time almost. I need to refine the braking zones, and once I do that I will love flying around it. So many fast corners!

Great track. I love going around on to the last straight at 200mph.
Eep. I'm in major trouble next weekend then!

But yeah, after seeing the race in reality, I am definitely looking forward to us visiting tyhe track.

That's not going to be anywhere near your best time and we both know it! :lol I literally did 6 laps before I set that time, so we're both going to improve a lot, and you'll find a lot more time than I do!

Top Bottom